CROWDSUPPORT ®

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Call Drop Problem for Samsung Galaxy S3 phones 3G and 4G

[ Edited ]

I would like to know what Telstra is planning to do with all their customers with the Samsung Galaxy S3 phones that are experiencing spontaneous dropping of calls.

In my situation, I have come to a conclusion that a replacement handset is needed.

My situation :

1.  My phone was bought outright from a Telstra Shop in June this year.

2. Experiencing spontaneous call drops.

3. Brought in my phone to the Telstra shop.

4. Was told that I had to send in my phone for Telstra's technicians to diagnose.

5. After getting back the phone, the report said No Fault Found. Imagine my disbelief. Even the Telstra shop employee witness the spontaneous call drops for himself and agreed that the phone was dropping calls spontaneously. I made calls to landline numbers so that it can't be blamed on the other party's mobile phone or network.

6. I have used the factory data reset option on the phone and still does not help.

7. Also had a new SIM card provided to me by the Telstra shop. I knew technically it will not matter but agreed since the Telstra shop employee wanted to try it. Call drop problem still happening.

8. Spoke to Samsung support and explained the situation. All they could suggest is that I try :

a) Doing a factory reset ( Already done)

b) Enter the following code in the phone keypad to format the phone to be the same as it was as if it was just purchased brand new out of the box. The code :  *2767*3855#

Even after that still having the call drop problem.

c) Send in my phone for repair. Samsung support agreed to pick up my phone for them to diagnose. I currently put that on hold. Waiting for the Jelly bean update.  If after the Jelly Bean update, I am still experiencing the call drop problem, I will call Samsung support again to initiate the pick up of the phone.

9. The Telstra shop employee told me he sympathises with me but as per the company policy, I will have to have sent in my phone for another 3 or 4 more times before Telstra will consider a replacement.

10. In my opinion, I believe to solve the call drop problem I am experiencing with my S3 is to get a new one.

Just wanting to know how many other Telstra Galaxy S3 customers are having this problem.

By the way, I have discovered a workaround to stop the call drop problem :

Workaround : Disable Mobile Data.

This is very annoying having to enable and disable mobile data.

Can some one from Telstra or the moderator provide a response. This is not an isolated problem.

Just do a Google search for Samsung Galaxy S3 call drop problem and you will see many reports of this issue.

It make me wonder when I hear the Telstra Shop employee mention that the reason why handsets come out later with Telstra is that Telstra does thorough testing of the handsets before releasing them. The evidence proves otherwise.

Thank you for those who bothered to read this.

Occasional Contributor
Ianford147
0 Kudos

Re: Call Drop Problem for Samsung Galaxy S3 phones 3G and 4G

Hmmm, makes my sgs2 seem like a good thing again. By the sounds of this, Telstra need to do a bit of grovelling mate. It could be that there is nothing wrong with the handset, but something very wrong with the 4G network. Makes ya wonder if the two networks are clashing in some wierd, digital phone-like way.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Re: Call Drop Problem for 3G Samsung Galaxy S3 phones and 4G Samsung Galaxy Phones

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply

I don't think it is an issue between Telstra's 3G and 4G networks.

More likely I think it is some interworking issue between the handset and the network.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Re: Call Drop Problem for 3G Samsung Galaxy S3 phones and 4G Samsung Galaxy Phones

You will see I have the exact same problem here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/Galaxy-S3-call-dropouts/td-p/74472

Mine's just come back from service with "no fault found". That's crap... there is a problem... it dropped out 7 times during a phone call conversation with a member of the Mobile Faults team in Telstra. I was lucky to get 2 minutes before it dropped out, sometimes I'm lucky to get a 30 second phone call in.

It's gradually been getting worse. I have a loan HTC Wildfire which hasn't dropped out once in the same locations.

I refused to take the phone and said send it back again which the staff member did. This will be it's third time.

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

It is good to see other people having the Samsung Galaxy S3 phones with spontaneous call dropping problem.

The thing that is most annoying is that Samsung or Telstra are as far as I know not responding or acknowledging publicly that the S3 has 2 main faults :

1) Spontaneous call dropping

2) The called party complains that the voice quality is bad. Something could be wrong with the microphone design.

One thing I am thinking that could be a common factor is that Telstra's 3G network uses the 850Mhz frequency band.

If you Google for Galaxy S3 call drop problems, you will notice that it is being reported mainly for American and Canadian networks that also use the 850Mhz frequency band. 

Hence I am thinking there could be some inter working issues the S3 has with the 850Mhz frequency band.

I have friends who are using their S3s on the Optus network and they say they do not experience calls being spontaneously dropped. Optus uses a different frequency band.

If what I think about the interworking issue of the S3 with Telstra's 3G network is correct, then even if I get a new S3, it won't solve the call dropping problem.

Still wondering if the moderator or someone from Telstra will respond.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

I've reported the problems a few times now but I always get a "we are not aware of any issues" or "no one has reported" or "if it was a common problem we would have everyone with an S3 complaining"...

How many S3 users on Telstra are having the problem? Surely if it was as bad as mine there would be complaints.

I also know people on Optus who aren't having a problem... only Telstra users seem to be.
bobbiie
0 Kudos

Just wanting to know how many other Telstra Galaxy S3 customers are having this problem.

Have the same issue with my 3G SGSIII.

From what I have been able to find out it is not a recpetion issue but a hardware issue of some sort.

The way the warrenty works with Samsung you would need to send your phone off yet.

SO far Samsung have told me to do the same as you and Factory reset. Have not sent the phone off yet but that is the next option - Although next time it happens I will be giving your Disable Data ago to see if it helps.

My forum on whirlpool went nowhere - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1992150

But there is an article I found which lists it as a known issue (But Samsung refuse to say it is) - http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-top-5-issues-revealed-241349

I'll let you know if I end up sending my phone off for repair.

Bobbiie

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Yes this is also the type of responses I get. ie Not aware, have not been reported, etc

I will definitely send in my phone if the Jelly Bean update does not resolved the spontaneous call drops.

I will continue to do it until the issue is resolved.

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Thanks for the links.

I have actually seen the link about the S3 issues.

As far as I am aware, everyone I speak to on my phone complains that the voice quality they are hearing is not good and of course the enormously irritating and higher costs(with each call having a new connection fee) of having to make another call or two.

I was a Telstra shop two days ago when the 4G version of the S3 was made officially available by Telstra.

I asked the Telstra shop employee, if I purchase outright the S3 phone and while still in the shop, I make test calls and the phone drops the calls spontaneuosly, will they provide me with another new phone on the spot.

The Telstra shop employee said that they still will have to send in the phone for repair.

I told them that this is not right.  The phone was defective from the start so any reasonable person would agree that another brand new working phone should be provided. Imagine if you bought a brand new watch or some other brand new  electronic item and it has faults with it, one should be entitled to reject the faulty item and get working unit. If the retailer is unable to provide you with a brand new working unit, then the customer is entitled for a full refund.

The Telstra shop employee said, unfortunately Telstra's policy is just to send in the phone for repair. I feel this is wrong. I wonder if this is contravening our consumer rights.

I may ring up the ACCC and find out to see if that sort of policy is against the law.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

I was told with my online purchase that if the phone was returned within 30 days of purchase that a new one would be given... after that it gets sent away.

Was also told that it's not Telstra's policy, but Samsung in relation to warranty and if the phone is sent in for repair or not. The Telstra staff member said he wished HTC and Samsung would do the same as Apple and just replace the phone with a new one... the cost of repair usually outweighs the cost of a new one anyway.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

What you said regarding the warranty by Samsung seems to be the case.

I am fine with the 30 days policy provided, if a new phone is given, then the new phone should also have the same 30 day return policy.

The only problem I think that could happen is that after you get the phone back from Samsung or Telstra, and the response was no fault found, then even you request for a new unit, they will say now it has to be sent for repair only. Ie the option for getting a replacement is not available anymore since your initial return came back with a No Fault Found report. Not sure if this is how it works with the 30 day return policy.

I agree that replacing the faulty unit with a new unit quickly is in the long run cheaper than sending it for repairs 3 or 4 times and then providing a new unit.

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

If you argue that the product has a Major Defect under the Australian Consumer Law, you can direct either a Repair, Replacement or Refund (Consumer's Choice).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.

I am not a lawyer so don't know much about the law.

I rather my phone just works and do not have to go through all these hassles.

Currently waiting for the Jelly Bean firmware to be officially released for the Telstra 3G S3.

I had further discussions with other Telstra Shop employees and Telstra Sales persons over the phone and was told after 3 times being sent in for repair within the warranty period, a new replacement unit will be given.

I bought my phone in June this year, so still have some time to send in the phone. I have already sent in my phone once.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

I also bought mine in late June, when the pebble blue model came out. Can also confirm that was told 3 times in for repair it gets replaced.

Mine is now on it's third trip in, but the second came back as no fault found so we'll see what happens. I suspect this one it will come back again as no fault found.

Very frustrating when you can't even use the phone as a phone. If it comes back again I will try it and see if the dropout problems continue... and try the mobile data disable (I have Tasker from the Play Store so I should be able to automatically disable data during a call).

Even so, I don't believe I should HAVE to do this... it should just work.

Quite frustrating really.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Like you I also have a Pebble Blue version.

If you could kindly let me know when you receive the phone back and if the fault is still not fixed and you return it again, whether Telstra provided you with a new phone.

I agree with you that we should not need to disable mobile data. It should just work
I have also discovered if you need to be online while on a call, if you have wi-fi access and enable wi-fi on your phone, the calls do not spontaneuosly drop. Only if you have mobile data enabled.

Not sure if you set your phone to be on Telstra's 2G network only, the calls may not spontaneously drop even with mobile data enabled.

I have not bothered to try it but might just do so out of curiosity.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure I have been connected to wi-fi when dropouts have occurred... I could be wrong (as I turned wi-fi off at one stage) but I think I'm right.

I also thought about trying 2G.

My phone should be back sometime this week. I'll let you know how I go (and if it still drops out I'll do more testing before I send it back for a 4th time).

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information.

For my S3, as far as I am aware, with Mobile Data specifically disabled first, then enabling wi fi after that, I have noticed the calls do not drop spontaneously.

I have noticed that if Mobile Data is currently enabled, and you enable Wi-Fi, the Mobile Data symbol dissapears.

In theory the phone should be using WiFi for data access. Not sure if dissappearing Mobile Data symbol means it is still there in the background but somehow suppressed. The reason I think this is so is because when Wi Fi is disabled, the Mobile Data symbol automatically reaapears soon after.

I will try the scenario where Mobile Data is enabled and without turning it off first, I enable Wi-Fi and see if calls drop spontaneously. If calls drops spontaneously then Mobile Data needs to be specifically turned off first before enabling Wi-Fi.

I will do some testing and provide an update for the benefit of whoever is facing the spontaneous call drops.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Thanks Netizen. My phone has now been sent to their "third party repairer" which is further than where it go to last time.

Once I get it back I will also do some testing.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Here is an update of my testing done so far.

Scenario 1 :

a) Signal strength - Excellent (Full bars)

b) Network : Telstra 3G

c) Mobile Data enabled

d) Wi-Fi disabled

Result 1  : Call dropped spontaneously

-----------------------------------------------------------

Scenario 2 :

c) Mobile Data enabled

d) Wi-Fi enabled without first manually disabling Mobile Data

Result  2 : Call dropped spontaneously

Scenario 3 :

c) Mobile Data disabled

d) Wi-Fi disabled

Result  3 : No spontaneous call drops

Scenario 4 :

c) Mobile Data manually disabled prior to enabling Wi-Fi

Result  4 : No spontaneous call drops

Have not tried the scenarios above with Telstra's 2G network.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Well, my phone is ready to be picked up.

Surprise surprise, apparently no fault found. We'll see how it goes tomorrow/

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

It really amazes me that the report comes back as no fault found.

Makes you wonder what sort of testing is actually being done.

Did the report state was was done during the investigations?

I would be very interested in what they actually did.

In my opinion, it shows either incompetence or a lacksaidal attitude.

The problem is that you, me and other persons that send in phones are just another "number" for those technicians.

They probably get many handsets everyday and have some sort of tick boxes to tick.

eg.

1. Check condition of phone for obvious damage - Tick

2. Perform a master reset - Tick

3. Phone boots up ok - Tick

4, Check a few functions very briefly -  Tick

5. If seems to work. == No fault found

May be that is the reason why the report always comes back with no fault found. They probably do not perform proper testing.

When I send in my phone for the second time, I will very likely get the same no fault found report.

Occasional Contributor
Adza

Well... dramas! Firstly, I received my phone. However I only had it for 10 minutes before it went back again. Not because of a call dropout, but because some incompetent person had put a deep scratch on my screen whilst it was in being repaired. Needless to say I was one cranky customer.

Secondly however, last time it didn't get past the Telstra repairer... this time it went to a "third party repairer" who listed the following action:

No fault found. Software upgraded (not sure how it can be upgraded 3 times but still), checked main board, passed script test, cleaned contacts, re-aligned connectors, reset to manufacturer specifications.

I still don't know if it's actually fixed <insert cranky face here>.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen

Sorry to hear that they scratched your screen. I too would be very annoyed.

I too was annoyed that there were some minor scratches on my phone when it came back.

When you next get your phone back. also check that they have not scratched the camera lenses.

My phone was in pristine condition like just out of the box as I am very careful with things.  My phone has a screen protector, silicon TPU case and also a leather pouch which I put it in. Hence not a single scratch and have never dropped my phone at all. When I got my phone back there were some minor scrathes. Of course it was denied that the scratches were caused by the repairer. Because it was minor I let it go. If it was as bad as yours, I would not have let it go.

The third party repairer is very likely Fonebiz.  It could have been sent to Fonebiz in Rockdale, NSW.

What you mentioned about the report ie No fault found, software upgraded, etc, etc is exactly the same words for the repair report I got when I received my phone back.

I am very certain that your phone will still drop calls spontaneously. When they say that they upgraded the software, it is all nonsense in my case. All they did was to reflash the phone's firmware with the latest available which in my case was the same software level and bulild that already existed on my phone.

Furthermore, there is no need to be cleaning contacts and realigning connectors.

I noted all the details of my phone before I sent it for repair. eg. IMEI numbers, software build. Even the battery details I also noted down in case it was swapped. I also took photos of the phone and the battery.

Hence I mentioned in my earlier post that these so called people the phones are sent to are useless and have just some standardised report they use. Whether it was done or not, no one actually knows but I suspect they are charging Samsung for all these so called work they performed.

Have they actually performed call tests to ascertain whether they calls drop spontaneously. I can bet they did not.

Reason : Making calls will cost them money and they will not do it.

So it begs the question :  Why then are we forced to waste our time sending our phones to these useless repair centres.

phamdc
0 Kudos

Bought the 4g version on plan on 9 October. Sent it back on 11th. Was not able to make a phone call that didn't drop the entire time I had the phone. Even after 2 days, they wouldn't replace the phone. Had to send it in. Anyone have an idea when I will get it back?
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

When I sent in my phone, I was told it would take about 2 weeks.

With regards to not replacing the phone, there needs to be a better policy to just requiring phones to be sent in.

There is seems to be some design fault with the S3. Even the later 4G version has the call dropping problem.

A couple of my friends have the Galaxy Note and not experiencing spontaneous call drops on Telstra's 3G network.

phamdc
0 Kudos

Well hopefully I get it back this week sometime and a firmware reset will solve my problems. All other functions including gps work fine. Just the calls don't work. Seems to be more severe when calling non-Telstra phones and any landline, even calling Telstra support where I had to resort to calling up with a 3 mobile
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Sorry to tell you this but I am pretty sure the firmware reset will not help.

In fact, if you need to perform a firmware reset for your S3, you can do it yoursef.

Just enter the following code in the phone's keypad : *2767*3855#.

This will reset the phone to the so called manufacturer's specifications.

When you get your phone back, you will probably get the same type of report Adza and myself got.

ie No fault found,  software upgraded, etc etc.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Agree with Netizen, my phone's been reset umpteen number of times, had firmware supposedly upgraded 3 times and nothing has stopped the call dropouts.

Although I'm still waiting for its return from my latest drama.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

I agree with you. This is a well known problem reported globally.

With regards to the Telstra network, neither Samsung or Telstra are willing to admit that the Galaxy S3 phones have some interworking problem with Telstra's 3G network and in my earlier post also wondered why this silence.

This reminds me of the iPhone 4 dropping calls due to poor design/placement of the phone's internal antenna.

To Apple's credit, they admitted it and tried to make ammends.

phamdc
0 Kudos

How long did u guys wait before taking the phones in?
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

I took about 32 days.

When I first got the phone, literally within the first 20 mins of me having the phone, I experienced the spontaneous call drop problem when I was on a conversation with my friends. I dismissed it as probably something else. Little did I realise I was experiencing the spontaneous call drop problem.

Over the week,  I got very irritated with the spontaneous call drops.

I then did a search on the web to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue as I was.

Well there were many reports about it.

Over the next couple of days I started to do some of my own testing to try to ascertain what may be causing these call drops.  I then discovered by accident, the workaround which I mentioned in my first post. Also spoke to Telstra and Samsung support personel. Both were stating they are not aware of the spontaneous call drops. Told them to just do a Google search and they will see many reports of the problem.

Please let us in the Crowd Support community know what was done to the phone and whether you are still experiencing the spontaneous call drops after receiving your phone back from repair.

What is annoying is that even until now neither Telstra or Samsung are admitting there is a problem and keeping quiet about it.

phamdc
0 Kudos

I took mine in 2 days after I got it so I'm still within the 30 day period. They have had my phone since 12 october and I'm still waiting for it. Don't know why it would take do long
Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Turnaround times have been a week or a bit more for me... I finally have my phone back today with a new screen fitted... Now to start the testing.

The first 3 minute call to my voicemail did not drop out.
Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Well, the second call I made dropped out after 10 seconds...... *doh*
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

Good luck. Hopefully it is fixed.

In my case, the calls can drop spontaneously anywhere from 2 mins to 42 mins during a call.

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just saw your latest reply after I posted it.

Sorry to hear you still have the spontaneous call drop problem. Hmmm.  Very annoying.

Hence I believe it is some design fault or interworking problem the phone has with the 850Mhz frequency band. Probably that is why Samsung is keeping quiet about it.

Imagine the recalls and refunds it needs to make.

I am thinking I will not be wasting my time sending in my phone but just treat this as a bad experience with a good phone otherwise.

I will purchase the Galaxy Note 2 LTE as people have mentioned the non LTE Galaxy Note 2 does not drop calls spontaneously.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

I will do more testing and report the findings here. Either way it will be going back again and I'll be demanding either a new phone or an alternative one.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you get a new phone don't get another S3 or even the 4G version of the S3 as it still drops calls spontaneously on Telstra's 850Mhz network. because  when the 4G S3 is in the non 4G coverage area, it will be using the 3G network.

phamdc
0 Kudos

I just hope coz i sent it back so early that I will get a new one. Fingers crossed!

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

So another update...

The call dropout problem continues, and just as bad as before.

Four dropouts in a 5 minute call was enough for me to lose my patience! The phone will be straight back tomorrow and I'm demanding a new one. I'm happy to try another S3, as some people have said a new one has fixed their problems... If the new one also drops out I'm going to have long discussions with them!

I did do some testing... it doesn't matter if mobile data and/or wifi data is disabled... the call still drops.

I will test 2G tonight before it goes back.

Occasional Contributor
Adza

Been on the phone (again) to Telstra tonight... they assure me I will now get a replacement phone... but we'll see what the T shop says tomorrow. Unfortunately its a replacement with an identical phone, so fingers crossed I get a new S3 tomorrow... then wait and see what happens
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update.

Let us know if the new S3 phone fixes the problem. I would be very surprised if it does.

If it does then I might consider to send in my phone again and then another time just to satisfy the ridiculous requirement of 3 times, although we already know that just reflashing the firmware, etc by the repair centre does not help.

Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

I have found a better way to address my call drop problem.

This idea just came to my head today.

ie Why not go directly to a Samsung Customer Service centre.?

Did a Google search for them and fortunately for me the customer service centre is only a 20 min drive from my place.

Went there and was told that since it is under warranty, I can send it in to them.

Turn around time : Between 3 to 5 business days.

A good thing is that the phone will not be sent anyway else but investigated and repaired at the customer service centre by Samsung's own technicians.

A note : They will not accept phones that have been bought from parallel importers like Kogan, Mobicity, etc. Since my phone was bought outright from a Telstra shop, I qualify.

I did not send in my phone yet as I want to back up some data and settings and also configure my spare phone while the phone is handed in for repair.

Will do it in the next couple of weeks.

After I get back my phone from Samsung, I will provide an update.

Occasional Contributor
Adza

That would be good, and may be an opportunity for you to actually sit down, explain the problem and take in evidence of other people's issues... one hopes anyway. Talking to Telstra is like talking to a brick wall... they have procedures they follow and they don't seem to deviate from them.

At least tackling Samsung may result in a proper fix ??

An update, I went into my local T store this morning, they weren't surprised to see me! Cut a long story short they replaced my phone with another S3, but as they were out of pebble blue they "upgraded" me to a 4G model.

So now I have a 4G model and ........ it so far has not dropped out, with the longest phone call so far being 4 minutes with very clear reception.

I'm not in a 4G coverage area at work so it's only on 3G... I'll see how it goes though.

By the way, this has Jellybean... however I did actually flash the official overseas JB version to my other S3 last night... made no difference to the call dropouts.
Occasional Contributor
Netizen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good to hear that your phone has been replaced.

Let's hope the calls do not spontaneously drop.

Fingers crossed. Let us know.

Cheers

phamdc
0 Kudos

How did you get them to replace it, and you got to keep the other s3?

phamdc
0 Kudos

Why is no one from Telstra commenting? Your customers just want what they paid for.

Occasional Contributor
Adza
0 Kudos

Phamdc... I got them to replace it as my phone had been in for repair a total of 4 times, and I demanded a replacement.

I did not get to keep the other S3, I handed it back.

As an update, I still have not had a single dropout... including a 90 minute conversation which was clear the whole time... bliss compared to what I've been putting up with.
haitony8
0 Kudos

it is the biggest known hardware prob from samsung. nothing much to do, i use Nexus. we both the same platform. I have the pure Android and yours is a bit currepted by samsung's app! the onle one solution i found is don't cover the top end of your phone where the antenna is placed. you may have noticed it gets hot when using. means poor signal. there is no solution mate, i have been through all the popular forums and blogs.