Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Can't download from Google Play store over 3G/NextG (Error 495) - Galaxy S3

Hi guys,

I've had my S3 for about 1.5 weeks now and it's sourced from work through a corporate plan. It worked fine up until yesterday, when now I can't download or update any apps from the Google Play store over mobile data. However, downloads worked instantly when hooked up to my home Wi-fi when I got home.

The issue I encounter is the store sits on the status of "downloading" without actually progressing to the next step (e.g. 12KB of 1.83MB). I've left it to keept attempting to download a few times and I would get an "Error 495".

I followed all the steps most people recommend for issues with the play store (not all in order, but most of them multiple times):

clearing Cache on the play store app

clearing data on the play store app

rebooting lots

powering off and battery pulling

clearning data on other google service apps

changing login accounts and back again

deleting the most recent app store update (i was on 3.5.17, its back to 3.5.16 now)

Essentially I've done everything except for a factory reset, which I'm loathe to do since I spent ages getting this thing set up.

Does anybody have any ideas? Has this been encountered before?

Everything is still stock, except that I have installed a custom keyboard (the .apk of the ICS keyboard). Could that be interfering with it?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Honoured Contributor
Kalak
0 Kudos

Re: Can't download from Google Play store over 3G/NextG (Error 495) - Galaxy S3

[ Edited ]

Can you check this for me please?

Open the Google Play Store. Open up settings and check the update over wifi only option. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos

That setting was un-checked (I've never activated it from memory)

Honoured Contributor
Kalak
0 Kudos

Sorry then looking over your list this was the only thing I could think of that wasn't on there, that doesn't involve something like a factory reset.

Also, did the issue happen just after the install of the non-stock keyboard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos

No worries.

The keyboard It's the only major event that could have a bearing i think...

Prior to the install of the keyboard, i managed to install Meridian Music player from the store all fine and with no troubles. This was between 9:30am and10:30am yesterday. I installed the ICS keyboard around 11am and I discovered the issues with the downloads in the late arvo (I hadn't attempted any downloads until the late arvo).

I will try uninstalling the keyboard

Tech Bar Team
DanielM
0 Kudos

Had a S3 today that would not download applications from the Play store, managed to fix it by going to Accounts & sync -> Google and turning "Sync Gmail" off and then back on again, then after restarting the phone it worked.

Bit of an odd solution but worth a try

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Honoured Contributor
Kalak
0 Kudos

I think turning that off and on, logs you 'out' and back in again, which might reset the session?

Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Here's the update (It's still stuffed essentially)

I uninstalled the non-Samsung keyboard, rebooted. - Didn't work

Powered off and on again - Still didn't work

unchecked and then rechecked gmail sync on the same account that i use for Google Play, then rebooted. - Still didn't work

Even went back into the app settings, cleared cache, cleared data and tried again. Still didn't work :smileysad:

Valued Contributor
nelly82
0 Kudos

Does your corporate plan have data barring?  Or had data barring initiated from a Telstra account perspective?

Might need to check that out to rule out that it is not an account issue preventing you from using data via Next G.

Have I been helpful? Click that Kudos button :smileyhappy:
Found a solution? Then mark the solution in the thread to help others find the answer!
Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If all my data was blocked, then yes I would think that might have happened.

However all of these work still, so I'm fairly certain there isn't a corporate data block:

IMO (app i use to get Skype IM)

Web browser

Google Play store browsing (not downloading)

Email

Gmail

Social networking (Facebook, etc.)

Valued Contributor
Juzman
0 Kudos

danunited wrote:

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

I had a similar issue on my tablet the other day. Only way I could fix it was removing my Google account, rebooting then re-adding the account. Not just turning off/on GMail sync.

Maybe give this a try, I hope it works!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only.

If I've helped you, please press the Kudos!

Occasional Contributor
danunited

[ Edited ]

Okay, problem solved.

It turns out that my issue was a direct cause of my tinkering with data usage settings.

I had accidentally set the "restrict background data" option in data usage settings for Media. Media contains the component 'Download Manager' and 'Downloads' and when I decided to remove all background data restrictions last night, downloads on the play store worked again.

So moral of the story is, be careful what restrictions you set on your phone!

Thanks everyone for your contribution, I really appreciate the time taken to answer my plea for help.

Valued Contributor
Juzman
0 Kudos

danunited wrote:

Okay, problem solved.

Thanks everyone for your contribution, I really appreciate the time taken to answer my plea for help.

Glad you got it all resolved! :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only.

If I've helped you, please press the Kudos!

samsunguser
0 Kudos

I had to make an account purely to say thank you, THANK YOU, you wonderful person! I've been struggling with the same problem for a week now and was terrified I was going to have to resort to a factory reset and lose all my progress.
Media fixed, problem solved, phone's working again!

omi
omi
0 Kudos

hi ... i am having exactly the same issue. I think i tinkered with the background data settings as well . But now I cant find the "Media" settings that you are referring to. Where is this Media setting located?
Occasional Contributor
danunited
0 Kudos

Hi there,

If media is not immediately visible in your list of apps in the data usage section, its possible that it just hasn't used much data in the time period your data usage graph is set to (the dates boundaries). This is also most likely if you've set a block on the background data and you haven't downloaded anything large over cell data.

You could extend the date boundaries as much as possible which might help you find it quicker.. but otherwise I think the only way to find it is to scroll down your page of apps. Which (if its like my phone), there is a massive amount of apps there!

seiranahc
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your help! It solved my problem!

smitzer6
0 Kudos

danunited wrote:

Okay, problem solved.

It turns out that my issue was a direct cause of my tinkering with data usage settings.

I had accidentally set the "restrict background data" option in data usage settings for Media. Media contains the component 'Download Manager' and 'Downloads' and when I decided to remove all background data restrictions last night, downloads on the play store worked again.

So moral of the story is, be careful what restrictions you set on your phone!

Thank you!!!!!!

I've been looking for a fix to this problem for weeks. I knew it had to be a setting somewhere that I had ticked but I had no idea which.

vineetbalwally
0 Kudos

what shall i do if I have micromax canvas2 a110

Occasional Visitor
samsungworks
0 Kudos

daunited - bit of a very late reply, but I only came across your post now. thank you so much for posting the information on the 495 error fix. I was beginning to become antagonistic towards Samsung! I've had this problem for 6 months and no one was able to help me with this issue, not Samsung nor Telstra and sadly I wasn't able to find this post through Google till now. So thanks so much for posting the solution and making me appreciate Samsung again.

It would be great if Telstra or Samsung could provide a documented list of common errors experienced on smart devices and solutions to fixing these problems (most of all make it findable on Google as well). I went to the Telstra retail store and couldn't get help, called Samsung and couldn't get help. The only solution that was provided to me was to reset my phone to factory settings and like you this was something I dreaded to do as well. After running a Google search on the internet I finally found this simple solution through your post, so thanks heaps for your help and updates!