Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

kashga
0 Kudos

Error while searching for networks

I have a HTC Desire S, I'm in an area where there is no coverage, and my phone appears to be always searching

the following message appears constantly "error while seaching for networks"

this is causing excessive battery drain. I want the phone on so I can use it as an alarm.

I've tried putting it in airplane mode, but it continues to display the error

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra

Re: Error while searching for networks

Hello kashga,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport :smileyhappy: Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

Thanks for your post regarding the error messages you've been getting on your HTC Desire S while searching for networks where there is no coverage.

Have you tried actually turning 'off' the mobile network itself in your Network Settings so it will no longer try to connect or search for mobile networks?

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
kashga
0 Kudos

Joe, Thanks for the response,

I'm not sure where exactly you can turn it off,

I go to settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks, but then where, it seems under network operators you can search for networks

but no way to turn searching off

I can see where data roaming can be turned off but that I believe only applies to data

anyway I had switched off the phone, and today switched it back on and it seems to be not searching

the battery is not draining rapidly as before,

all a bit of a mystery

Cheers

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra

Hi kashga,

Thanks for the update.

Most of the time, turning the mobile phone off and on again fixes some of these issues and I'm glad it's worked for you.

With regard to turning off mobile network please see below which I've copied from the User Manual.

Turning the data connection on or off:

Turning your data connection off can help save battery life and save money on data
charges. However, if you don’t have data connection turned on and you’re also not
connected to a Wi-Fi network, you won’t receive automatic updates to your email,
social network accounts, and other synchronized information.
1. From the Home screen, press , and then tap Settings > Wireless & networks.
2. Select the Mobile network check box to turn on the data connection; clear the
check box to turn off the data connection.

Additionally, to save battery:

Using the GSM network of your mobile operator
Switch to using the GSM network of your mobile operator if you’re not using a data
connection to connect to the Internet. Connecting to your mobile operator’s GSM
network consumes less battery power.
1. From the Home screen, press , and then tap Settings.
2. Tap Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network Mode.
3. Tap GSM only.

I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
kashga
0 Kudos

Turning the data connection off was no problem

Since I had switched the phone off and back on again, the constant battery draining serching seems to have stopped

re GSM mode, when I select it, after a second or two, it flips back to what it was before, I'm assuming it can only register a switch to GSM by comunicating with the network, ie it tries to switch but fails

Cheers