Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
marcimark
0 Kudos

Galaxy S2 - ICS Upgrade - Battery Drains Fast

Hi Guys,

I updgraded the software of my S2 to ICS two days ago, and the phone is not really usuable anymore.

I use the phone for business and have 2 active email accounts (push during the week, hourly check on weekend and afterhours).

The battery is now flat after just 6 - 8 hours just sitting on the bedside table. During the day I have to rechagre to keep it going!

This is very disappointing and I wish I could downgrade to 2.3.6

Battery life on 2.3.6 was excellent!

I researched the Internet already, and there is no fix for the battery issue at this stage.

The battery can't get calibrated, there is already an extended thread on XDA developers.

Anybody has an idea or knows how to easily downgrade through KIES?

Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Cummins
0 Kudos

Re: Galaxy S2 - ICS Upgrade - Battery Drains Fast

I am having the same trouble, battery stats show android os as 50-75% of the drain...will try a factory reset and see if it improves...regretting the 'upgrade' now!

Established Member
vbsgsii
0 Kudos

Telstra, please make a down grade to 2.3.6 available. Factory reset of ICS does not improve battery life..
james_fisk
0 Kudos

/signed

My ICS Galaxy s2 is also discharging very quickly, while nothing is turned on etc.

james

Occasional Contributor
manupeg
0 Kudos

Same as me. Do you all are having an exchange account ? Cause I do. My wife not and her Galaxy SII battery is still lasting as before since the ICS upgrade.

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

Not sure if this helps but I was initially having battery drain problem as well. After doing a factory reset and going through about 3 charge cycles the prob appears to have resolved though (yesterday got about 14 hrs of battery with moderate usage)
New Contributor
marcimark
0 Kudos

Yes, I am running one mail account on an Exchange server.

My applications haven't changed, only battery life has!

Why do I have to now run less brightness on the screen, don't use push email anymore and basically only have the phone as a fashion accessory?

There is a major bug in ICS and all I want is downgrade to 2.3.6 again!

Cummins
0 Kudos

no exchange email, just imap with manual checking...have factory reset it, no third party apps...very anoying!

Occasional Contributor
Ianford147
0 Kudos

What exactly does a 'factory reset' do?
Occasional Contributor
Devilman05
0 Kudos

Holdup are you running a exchange email account when you get 14 hours?
Maximatosis

Hi all.  I don't know if this is the same cause for your battery discharge problem but this is my experience:

I updated my SGS2 last night and also noticed the battery was being discharged very quickly.  From a full charge is lost about 40% charge in 30mins.  I noticed most of the battery discharge time was being used by the Swype keyboard (about 60% of it!!).  I stopped the keyboard and disabled it in Language and input and that seems to have made a big difference.

When I put the phone down last night at 10:30pm it had about 45% charge remaining.  This morning at 7:30am it was only down to 40%.  I'm charging it back up again now but I think it will be useable again.

Obviously that means the Swype keyboard can't be used so the problem is not really solved, it's just a workaround I can live with at the moment.  Otherwise, I'm liking the ICS upgrade!

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

Battery life is definitely worse for me, although not as bad as some are experiencing. That being said Id still say it's problematic. The android OS feature is using about 50% of battery on average, whereas with 2.3.6 it was down to about 30%. Also total battery life is still worse. Im getting about 12-14 hrs with light usage and autosync disabled (also have juicedefender installed). This is compared to getting at least 18hrs with 2.3.6 under similar circumstances.

I should also add that Im using an extended battery (2000mah versus the standard 1650mah battery which comes with the phone)

Also Ive done a factory reset already.

Telstra please fix this
MattieLeung
0 Kudos

Theres no real solution for this, 4.0.3 is known to have issues with the battery life, its quite annoying because i charge it up to full at night, by the time i wake up its at 10% battery life... and i was sleeping...

the even MORE ridiculous thing... is that i'm charging my phone right now and instead of charging, its discharging even further, enough to give me a critial battery life warning...

all we can do is wait for the 4.0.4 update which fixes this issue
erroma
0 Kudos

Same problem here.

It would be appreciated if a Telstra representative could acknowledge that there is a problem and that they are working on it.

Or suggest a workaround, like downgrading to 2.3.6.

How can that be done the official way?

erroma

Occasional Contributor
manupeg
0 Kudos

I chatted with a guy from Telstra the day before yesterday.He told me to contact Samsung regarding that Subject (Contact Us - Samsung ). After many tries, I was not able to chat with them. Guys from Telstra called them. According to Samsung, official way to downgrade a phone is to go to an official reseller. One nearest to where I work is :

Rothdale- Phonebiz 320 princess highway 02 95978900

Before doing that, I made a factory reset on my phone. It has improve the situation. But it's still not as good as what I got with Android 2.3.6.

Hope it'll help.

Cheers.

klewis_au
0 Kudos

fatsatman
0 Kudos

im with most of the people who have upgraded ,,, this update has really stuffed my phone and i want gingerbread back... bad battery life ,constant rebooting itself ,and what happened to the actual ics theme in the dialer etc,,,this is crap.not to mention the calenders a pain in the a , the popup to change times for events no longer has an indication of what your changing as in gingerbread,.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELSTRA FIX THIS MAJOR PROBLEM. please make available a downgrade option .

Telstra Employee
gregII
0 Kudos

Hi all, thanks for your feedback. We’re working with Samsung to review ICS battery performance. At this stage we do not believe the update itself affects the phone’s battery endurance. However, it’s possible that some third party gingerbread apps may work inefficiently with ICS resulting in higher power use.

We’d like to test a handset experiencing a drop in battery life. Please let us know if you’d be happy to loan us your phone. Samsung will arrange a replacement phone for the duration of the testing.

Thanks in advance

This comment is left blank intentionally:smileytongue:

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
abe_cross
0 Kudos

Hi gregII,

My Samsung Galaxy SIII is not able to get through a day of moderate use since the update.

Having observed the battery use is largely attributed to exchange, I factory reset the handset and neglected to add my work email (running ms exchange 2011) for one day. The battery use was great.

The next day (without making other additional changes) I added my work email and despite similiar use the battery was almost drained by mid afternoon.

I'm happy to assist in your testing but could not give you access to my work email (for obvious reasons) if you have an exchancge server that you can add, that should suffice as a test and im happy to help.

Let me know.

Cheers,

abe_cross
0 Kudos

*correction

SII

erroma
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Killed exchange and the curve flattened out right away.

equusmedical
0 Kudos

I think we are starting to see the general cause of the battery drains that are happening after ICS installation. It appears it is to do with internal conflicts that are happening between the ICS and installed apps. 

I had an interesting situation happen with my S2 where even before ICS was installed I was getting battery drain problems and this coincided with my handset running out of internal storage. What I think was happening was that software was self checking for updates and trying to install updates but they wouldn't fit. It would then create a conflict and it would go round and round in circles trying to sort the issue out.

I did not sort out the storage issue but upgraded to ICS anyway. This made the problem worse and the handset was getting hot doing apparently nothing. I subsequently deleted unused apps made some space and all the updates sorted them selves out (I think there are critical updates such as social hub, google +, and lots of others that are intertwined with other apps (e.g. things that regulate photos, files, synchronise things). Immediately the phone cooled down and battery is now perfect. I have since installed a 32gb microsd card and moved all my games and lesser used apps onto the sd card and changed storage for photos and movies to the SD card to keep internal phone storage low.

ICS seems very happy now.

BTW, I am running Juice Defender which has been incorrectly labelled as a cause of battery drain in ICS and I am also running Windows Exchange without a problem.

Cheers,

Matt

Occasional Contributor
Devilman05
0 Kudos

erroma wrote:

Killed exchange and the curve flattened out right away.

+1 for this.

i disabled the exchange services and went from 2 and a half hours to the usual 12-14 hours

jtoms
0 Kudos

Has there been any progress on this issue? Still getting battery drain

Needs to be fixed or i need a new phone

Dr_Kipperlips
0 Kudos

My phone is discharging its battery within about 7 hours. Before the update to ICS it was lasting well over a day. I would also say that the charging process seems to take longer, but I don't see how the software could affect this.

I am synchronising 2 exchange mailboxes using the stock email program

The only apps I have in addition to the telstra pre-installed applications are:

Facebook v1.8.1

Realcalc calculator v1.7.3

Skype v2.8.0.920 - I do not keep this app running/signed in

Carrier IQ scanner v1.0

If I disable data network mode, then battery life returns to above the amount I was getting on Gingerbread. I think that the battery drain is related to threads holding network connections, open so the transmitter is draining the battery.

I am happy to lend my phone to Telstra in Perth for investigation if this is still required - send me an email or reply to this post.

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

I just wanted to check if anyone has been experiencing the problem I'm having. The overall battery life is OK, but once every couple of days the phone will spontaneously freeze and either reboot on its own or I will have to reboot it. After rebooting for some reason the battery life will go down by about 20% or so. I experienced the same problem again today, but the battery life went down by almost 40% after rebooting (the rebooting occurred over a matter of minutes). There doesnt appear to be a specific app consuming significant amount of battery. Ive tried doing a factory reset but this doesnt appear to have helped.

Screenshot_2012-05-16-18-17-47.png

polimar
0 Kudos

Here's what I did after the upgrade to ICS on my SGS2 as the battery was draining very fast:

1. Charged the battery to 98% and powered off the phone, leaving the charger connected.

2. Left the charger connected for 6 minutes (to allow the battery to go to 100%) and disconnected the charger.

3. Removed the battery for a couple of minutes.

4. Re-inserted the battery and powered up the phone.

In standby mode with BT on, the battery is now showing 46% after 3days and 20 hours!

scottmagain
0 Kudos

A few things..

The ROM that has been provided to Samsung Galaxy S2 owners has been supplied by Telstra, from Telstra servers (confirmed by Samsung) and it has Telstra customisation. Therefore it should be Telstra that take responsibility for ensuring that all affected users who have had problems since updating to 4.0.3 ICS have their issues addressed. It also would be for Telstra to acknowledge that there is a major problem with the upgrade and the roll-out of the upgrade should be stopped pending further investigation and resolution of the problem. SUrely the thousands of users experiencing problems with the handset since the upgrade is enough evidence to confirm that there is an issue.

Secondly, for those who are affected by this problem (as I have been), here are a few things that are worth noting regarding the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the ICS upgrade provided by Telstra.

From what I have experienced and with my understanding of mobile phones having worked with them for many years now, the upgrade itself does not cause poor battery life - the reason that it appears this way is because the upgrade needs to have the battery 'life' reset. The best way to do this is to think back to the first day you got your GalaxyS2. From a nearly-drained battery, let it charge overnight (14 hours is a good time to let it sit there charging). If your battery is not drained (don't let it completely drain as Li-on batteries require a slight amount of charge at all times so never completely run it absolutely flat), then leave it on after the upgrade until it goes flat (around 2-3% should do it). Then, charge it fully. You may need to do this a second or third time to completely reset the battery memory in the battery and therefore in ICS. That's the battery issue resolved.

As for rebooting frequently, the easiest option to fix this is to simply remove your SD card. The most likely cause of the rebooting is because prior to the upgrade, you moved some apps across to the SD card to save space on your handset. If those applications launch of startup (whether as part of the boot up cycle or a widget on the homescreen), then the ICS upgrade will cause them to break. Reinstall those apps onto your handset and try shifting them across to your SD card again.

As for features/functions that you got used to in Gingerbread, that are now changed in ICS .. well, you're going to have to either get used to it or find another app that does it your way. Remember though that when you first got your GalaxyS2, you had to get used to things being different to your previous phone, so it's just that same phase you're going through. Grab a tissue.

Now, if only Telstra would acknowledge that there are indeed issues that arise from the upgrade and be a bit more proactive in sorting it out. I mean, Telstra want to borrow someone's handset - don't they have any mobile phones of their own to use? Surely they can replicate the problem at their end without having to have a customer surrender their personal or business mobile for 'testing'.
QWERTYberty

Had no end of dramas with my ICS. Bloatware was eating up bandwidth and cooking the battery. I went through and disabled all the Telstra crap.

Apparently other phone suppliers release their ICS with out bloat.. Telstra sucks so hard. Dominant copper days are over. wake up and smell the steaming s#!tpile.

ICS is Unreal. Telstra sux

I'm seriously considering a cooked rom
Dr_Kipperlips

So..... still a heap of issues with the ICS 'upgrade'. More entries on other forums about exactly the same issues listed here.

1- despite offering my handset to Telstra that shows all the issues that people here are experiencing - no response.

2- I have no SD card inserted in the device and never have had.... I have barely installed any apps at all (facebook, XE currency converter, Trend Micro carrierIQ scanner - seriously that is the complete list of non-stock apps - all reputable (well maybe not facebook this week.....) companies' apps). If a telstra rep says 'delete all these and try again' I will, but the lack of contact or information from Telstra on these obvious issues is getting silly.

3- I have let the battery run flat. Many times. The biggest issue it that it does this all the time! Since the ICS install I always leave it on charge overnight and it depleted the battery to the point where it shut istelf down daily before I went to bed. This did not happen on Gingerbread. I investigated the manufacturer's claimed battery usage at the time of purchase of the phone and it was acceptable (though still by no means good) at the time. This update makes the device unfit for purpose.

4-  I have been using it the last 2 weeks with data network mode disabled to make the battery last... I need to make and take calls for work - I cannot walk around with a dead phone. This makes it no 'smarter' than a 90s brick.

5- The Telstra/stock apps do not work as intended:

- Data usage app - does not report accurately.

- Weather banner - always thinks the current day is the day I perfomed the last reboot.

- Agenda widget - always thinks the current day is the day I performed the last reboot.

- Stock email app - does not download new mail unless manually forced, then does not download all of it. Only 1 of my 2 mailboxes actually sync on it. Both these mailboxes work fine on every other device I use to access them, as they did on gingerbread.

Telstra, pull your heads out of the sand, man up, acknowledge the issues and provide information, fixes or re-release Gingerbread for all Galaxy S2 customers. It is obvious that ICS was released without adequate testing and your lack of comms on the problems are compounding them. We need answers from Telstra reps, not rumour and speculation from the users.

Contributor
wdtvandsound

If it's a 4G

Go to "settings", Wireless and network, Mobile networks, Network mode,(Not LTE) "WCDMA only" instead for 3G.

4G uses up the battery 30% faster!!

Turn it on when needed in a 4G area for faster data only, on the Samsung Galaxy SII GTI9210.

Contributor
wdtvandsound

On the 4th of June, I was told by a Telstra support tech that I had pressed heavily, that the Android 4.0.8 had been delivered to Telstra from Samsung in the past week (very slow) for the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G, GT-I9210T.

The Telstra modifications and shake down will take to the end of June, all going well with the shake down testing for call drop outs and regional reception reliability, but more importantly the software up date reducing the 4G LTE rundown of the battery!!!

Samsung, why so slow at giving it to Telstra!!!

New Contributor
marcimark

Nothing new and still a hot and fast draining telephone!

I am very frustrated with the support by Telstra, as I have tried EVERYTHING to get it working without success

Telstra Shops are aware of the issue, but can't help. One guy suggested to downgrade and even hinbted a link to a web site, where it shows how to do it. He stressed that I could lose my warranty though.

I called Telstra yesterday, and the guy from tech support didn't have any answers, and wanted me to go through settings like wireless network and so on. Been there, done that.

After 20 minutes of talking to other people in his office, he suggested calling Samsung.

So I called Samsung. The guy was very friendly and said that I could wait at the centre to get the phone fixed, I only have to make an appointment. The I called the local centre, and the lady stated they might be able to fix the firmware, but I have to leave the phone with them for at least 3 - 5 days without replacement.

Sorry Telstra, not good enough! I purchased the phone from you, the upgrade came from you and I expect YOU to fix the issue.

I had a working phone before, and want the phone back to what it was!

Why do I as a customer need to find the solution to the problem, spend numerous hours working on it and also and take money in my hand to get it fixed?

I logged a complaint via your web site today, and I hope to take this serious.

Occasional Contributor
manupeg

+1 marcimark !

I had exactly the same answer from a Telstra guy. They are reselling Samsung (and other brands' phones). They have to take care of all this.

Occasional Visitor
seraphina

How did you turn off all the Telstra stuff? I've been trying & can't work it out

New Contributor
marcimark

After complaining on Telstra's Facebook Site I received a call. They guy basically told me that the phone needs to get fixed.

He suggested dropping the phone off at a Telstra store, but not a franchised one and only a corporate store.

They would send the phone to the national repair centre and I should have it back after a week, but it can take up to four weeks.

A risk I can't take, as I need the phone for work.

A week or so later I received a call from Telstra business support, as I logged a complaint at the same time as the facebook complaint.

The guy was very nice and tried to help. He listended to my issue and called me back 2 hours later. HE suggested to run the battery completely flat. Switch the phone back on, and again run it until it dies (phone switches off with 2% left or so). Then take the battery out, connect the charger and try to switch the phone on, which apparently sometimes works and therefore send a charge to a chip in the phone that controls the charge/decharge of the battery.

Then I had to put the battery back in, leave the phone switched of and charge to 100%.

Apparently this helps in 80% of all cases.

NOT IN MINE!!!

I got told by Telstra to contact Samsung, as they are the provider of the firmware and not Telstra. Telstra is only the reseller of the phones. (Why then have Telstra bloatware in the firmware and why is Telstra testing firmware)?

An email with some questions after the failed attempt wasn't answered, which I find typically for this country. Nobody wants to take resposibility!!!!

I called Samsung today, and the guy gave me a code I should enter into my phone, and he was certain it would help with battery drain and the "getting hot" problem.

The code is for hard resetting the phone, which I had tried before.

I'll give this another crack and see how I go.

The code is *2767*3855#

New Contributor
marcimark

The code seems to have helped.

Backed up with Kies, entered thecode, restored data and installed all apps again.

Phone doesn't get hot anymore and battery lasts a lot longer.

Will test over next couple of days and see how I go.

Occasional Contributor
manupeg

I'll be more than pleased to get your return. FYI, I've reset my SGS GS2 at least 5 times since I've updated it to ICS. Yes it works just fine for a while. Then sudenly (I still haven't found what trigger it) battery start to drain fast again.

erroma

So what is the status for the ICS update mentioned earlier? My battery life time halfed after I updated to ICS. Now it does not last a day.

New Contributor
marcimark

Worked well for a week.

Started with draining issues after a week and is getting hot again since  4 days.

Rang Samsung today and got told to reset again.

Apparently an app is causing this, but they don't know which one it could be.

So back to the trial and error phase again.

Sorry Samsung, not good enough. I don't like the Iphone that much, but I never had any issue with their platform.

Looks like a different manufacturer for me for the next device, as I don't hear good things about the battery life on the S3.

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra

Hello marcimark,

Thanks for your update and response to this thread. I'm assuming you've tried the 'code' given by Samsung as mentioned above?

I have another suggestion as well, can you go Task Manager and check what apps are using the most RAM for your phone? We found that 'Dolphin Browser' app takes a lot of RAM which leads to battery draining really fast.

However there may also be other software that contributes to this, so I recommend backing up your files and do factory reset to get rid of some of the apps & try to only install most used app.

For everyone else, if you've already done the above and still have issues, please private message me your full name, DOB & associated mobile number so we can include this as examples in our report so fix can be implemented. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
equusmedical
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I continued to have problem with my phone. 

Took back to store. Had it checked - all okay.

Reset factory settings, same problem.

Gradually tried installing and removing apps. Stopping WIFI, stopping syncs, etc. Still the same.

In the end I removed the exchange account. Battery drain fixed.

Installed Touchdown Nitrodesk app v 7.3 which has bug fixes for syncing issues. Reset up exchange accounts.

Looks like everything is now back to normal. Battery has stopped draining.

Will see how I go over the next few days but I think Touchdown software has its own exchange profiles/software i.e. doesn't use the exchange software built into Android and they have found work around for problems in ICS.

Here's hoping!!

Occasional Contributor
manupeg
0 Kudos

Listen, I don't want to be pessimistic, but my wife that is running a Samsung Galaxy SII without exchange acocunt has also encountered the issue.

Anyway, thanks for update and wait and see.

equusmedical
0 Kudos

Well have run for almost 3 days now with Touchdown Nitrodesk installed for my exchange account. It has cleared the problem completely. No more battery drain of significance. Now draining at an average of about 4%/hr which I can live with.

The biggest consumer now is the Android kernel, which I hope will be improved again slightly in 4.0.4 of ICS if or when it is ever released for the S2.

Cheers and hope this helps someone else.

New Contributor
marcimark
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have good news :smileywink:

Don't run apps and your battery lasts long :smileyhappy: (just kidding)

I am running no facebook app, no other browser than standard and also don't use any Telstra apps.

I have installed Winamp, Viber, Flashlight, Navigation Software, Camcard and a few others.

I am also on an Exchange Server.

Looks like some apps are causing the issue, and I also suspected Dolphin HD.

The phone is working fine, but I'm always nervous when it gets a little warmer.

I'll give the phone to my daughter and upgrade to another phone. May be an Galaxy S3.

Cheers,

Marcimark

Occasional Contributor
manupeg
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Any news about battery draining on Samsung Galaxy S2 ? I've been following this subject for a while. I saw guys form Telstra telling they will investigate all this. And then : nothing. But I'm still experiencing some issue with my battery.

So, Telstra guys, any (good) news ?

Cheers.

Frequent Visitor
frisbdave
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also keen to get a fix, after a year of this problem I am getting pretty frustrated.

A work phone that I cannot use reliably for email....

Almost ready to root my phone.

Occasional Contributor
manupeg
0 Kudos

Please let me know, I think I might do the same - given the poor Telstra support - as my S2 will soon be out of warranty. I'm interested in knowing if that's easy and if Android 4.2 runs better,

>