Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
webologist
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Galaxy S2 Wifi Hotspot Tethering Issue

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've been using androids for a while and have just got a Galaxy S2. When I try to tether the phone using the wireless hotspot, the phone connects to the computer, i can ping the phone, but there is limited or no internet activity?

Anyone else have any issues?

It seems Vodafone users were having the same problem, but they are working on a fix with Samsung.

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/Vodafone-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-Wifi-hotspot-tethe...

Thanks

Contributor
jeffy83

Re: Galaxy S2 Wifi Hotspot Tethering Issue

[ Edited ]

I never trust the Windows 7 "Internet/No Internet" access thing. It is often quite inaccurate and reports problems that aren't there.

When you get onto the hotspot? You get an IP address right? So you can ping the phone? Have you tried to ping popular end points like www.bigpond.com, www.google.com, or Google's own DNS server 8.8.8.8?

Because it sounds like your computer can't do DNS queries to find the IP of the website your accessing.

Easiest way to check this is:

Setup and connect to the S2 hotspot.

Once you are on the hotspot, do an ipconfig /all and grab the details from your WiFi adapter (to paste into your reply).

Then do "nslookup" and hit enter. You will then see something like below and type in your favorite website or like the examples above www.bigpond.com or similar and if it works, you should see this.

C:\Users\jefsims>nslookup
Default Server: dns-sydney.cisco.com
Address: 64.104.200.248

> www.google.com
Server: dns-sydney.cisco.com
Address: 64.104.200.248

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 72.14.203.147
Aliases: www.google.com

If you get a response like that from your DNS server, then the DNS is fine, it's a data flow issue, so make sure firewalls and Anti Virus are disabled to test.

If you get a response "Timed out to server X.Y.Z.A for example, then your PC and phone can't talk to the assigned DNS server and its possibly a 3G data flow issue.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The vodafone forum you linked seems to collate all the issues into a potential firmware upgrade that was recently released. I'm not up with the SGS2 or the android firmware so I'll defer any further updates beyond the PC Network testing to someone who knows android in far more detail than I do, but the question remains "Did it work before? If it did, have you changed ANYTHING on the android since then?".

Jeffy
-The Cisco Kid -
-did this help - give kudos, it's an e-High5 for forums-
New Contributor
webologist
0 Kudos

Thanks for your interest Jeffy.

I've tried on a couple of different Win XP and Win7 boxes. The problem occurred with the phone straight out of the box which is on the latest Telstra version 2.3.3

C:\Documents and Settings\XKCD>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xkcd
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-B4-CB-D4

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-03-AB-6D-BF
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.131
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.43.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 17 January 2012 9:27:47 AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 17 January 2012 10:27:47 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\XKCD>nslookup www.telstra.com
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.43.1: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.43.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Cheers

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

Im having problems with the wifi hotspot as well, running the normal telstra firmware 2.3.3. In my case I don't even get the 'limited connectivity' message. It just says 'failed to connect'. After running the windows 7 network troubleshooter its says there are router/access point issues, at which point I try changing the apn settings in the phone (eg tried telstra.internet and telstra.wap) and also rebooting the phone (even doing a factory reset) which failed to help. Im pretty sure its a problem with the phone itself because Ive also tried connecting an iphone 4 and asus transformer but theyve failed to connect
New Contributor
webologist
0 Kudos

I haven't had any luck. Used different APN's swapped SIM cards, did a full factory reset and still no dice.

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

I suggest returning it to the telstra store you purchased it from, they can send it for assessment to determine if the handset is faulty or not. I returned by handset today, after the in-store tech was able to replicate the issue on the handset. It normally takes up to 3 weeks for assessment
Occasional Contributor
Chr15
0 Kudos

I find the same thing when I try to do a wifi hotspot connection. The wifi part is fine, I get an IP address but browsing fails with no DNS found.

I think that the phone is not relaying the DNS request to the correct Telsta DNS server as I have tried entering a known good DNS server address into the PCs network properties without any effect.

The DNS Server IP address listed is the same as the gateway address however I don't think that this is a problem in inself as when I do a USB tethered connection the DNS, DHCP and Gateway IP addresses are all the same (different to the wifi ones though.

I can't find anywhere in the phone where I can change the IP address for the DNS server so at this stage am at a loss but I am of the view that it is a telstra network setting issue rather than an issue with the phone's hardware.

New Contributor
webologist
0 Kudos

I still haven't hand any success with resolving this.

I'm hoping there is a fix in the 2.3.6 firmware due out within the next week or so.

Occasional Contributor
amb74
0 Kudos

I have used the portable hotspot function on and off and generally works fine - the issue with this is the battery drain from what i understand. I am on 2.3.3. as well.

I know recently it worked fine on an XP system I used it on, and pretty sure have used on 7 before as well with succes.

Because I typically only use it briefly , i have it running without security when i enable it. Perhaps try that and see if it makes any difference.

BTW. According to telstra people on another thread here we should see 2.3.6 in the next few days approx and ICS in april.

Occasional Contributor
Chr15
0 Kudos

Also using 2.3.3.

Tried both with and without WPA2 encryption and no difference. I'd like to think an upgrade will fix but not holding my breath.

I might try tech support and see if they can get it going where I have failed.

New Contributor
webologist
0 Kudos

2.3.6 resolved this issue for me. Yay!

Contributor
holdup
0 Kudos

same....I had to get my phone sent in for repairs before (twice) but the problem remained. Had to resort to rooting and using barnacle wifi tether. But as soon as I installed the update the hotspot is working fine
Occasional Contributor
Chr15
0 Kudos

For some reason my wifi hotspot started working just a day or so prior to the 2.3.6 update. Still think it was to do with some DNS setting in the network.