Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Yukisan
0 Kudos

Galaxy S4 keeps switching off even after repair.. what are my options?

Hi everybody,

I'm facing a dilemma with my Galaxy S4 - it's been working fine since I first upgraded to it (back in December 12') however over the past 3 weeks I've noticed it randomly switch off.

Let me elaborate, I'd be using it fine - then put it in standby mode - later I'd see the notification led for a whatsapp message or an sms, try to check the message - screen fails to resume. I'm still getting the notifcation led but can't get back into the phone, unless I turn it off and back on.

Now I've had it sent for repair. Not exactly impressive service by Telstra @ Carindale, the bottom store and I'm perfectly fine with them reading this too. Not only did I have to call up myself to ask about my phone being ready (yes it was and was in the store fo 3 days, but somehow that was my responsibility to confirm it's back..) but the absolute disregard for the inconvenience was appalling. I'll make sure I never go to that store..

In the repair note itself, it mentions the battery was replaced as well as the board (not sure which one exactly) - the issue still persists though? I'd rather not have to deal with sending it again - it's surprising how much you realize you rely on your smart phone and get reduced to a phone with sms and calling only :smileysad: ..

Any other options ? Can I deal with Samsung directly for a replacement or somehow have the phone exchanged by Telstra?

Appreciate any recommendations,

Thanks!

Community Leader
Caaf
0 Kudos

Re: Galaxy S4 keeps switching off even after repair.. what are my options?

Sorry to read all the troubles you're having, it would be of my opinion that sadly you'll need to jump through the same hoops to get this sorted. Hopefully go elsewhere?

Cheers,
Dave

Note. Although it appears, this is not a main stream support forum!! It's a conglomerate of both fellow consumers/customers and Telstra employees helping you out!
Yukisan
0 Kudos

Well ...

I got sick of the phone doing it again and again - having logged a complaint and seeing no resolution - I had to hand it over for repair again. Atleast this time I was given a smart phone in the mean time. So it's not too bad..

I just don't understand why I need to be chasing up the stores again and again? I was informed the handset would be replaced and get it by Tuesday this week, now Friday - yet no answer as to what is done or where the handset is..

'Yes call back next week' .. am I seriously asking for too much to simply be given a proper idea when I will get the handset back?

Should this issue still occur after this time - then I'll be moving forward to have the service cancelled at Telstra's cost. I'm by no means a recently signed up user, I've had all my services through Telstra, the second mobile handset with them and this lack of customer service is just mind boggling.

Will update here once (or if) I get the handset back.

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

If the handset is faulty then it does need to be sent away, I appreciate you had a poor experience last time and I am sorry about but I hope that it is more positive this time.

Typically, if a fault that is covered by warranty cannot be resolved after multiple attempts via our National Repair Centre then it can be replaced. This is typically after the third unsuccessful attempt and is a process called Multiple Equipment Failure.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
New Contributor
PonzuHuw

Hi,

Samsung has found that a number of Samsung Galaxy S4 devices have defective batteries that become swollen. Samsung will replace these batteries if the serial number lies between BD1D401XX to BD1D529XX. If your battery is in the range then this post may help.

I had a problem, swollen battery and phone would restart randomly with charge anywhere between 55% to 95%, only way to stop continuous restart was by plugging in the recharge cable.

I went to a Telstra Store (Barkly Shopping, VIC) about my S4 battery and they said they didn’t hold replacement batteries and their policy was to send phone away for assessment.

Luckily there is a Samsung shop (Highpoint, VIC) close by so popped in, they swapped the battery straight away, no questions asked. Took 2 mins, great service. No problems since.

So, If you have a Samsung shop/service centre nearby start there otherwise the Telstra option is to send the phone away and that could take weeks (look up the same issue for customer waiting weeks for their phone)!

Occasional Visitor
sena
0 Kudos

hi.what you can do is to call telstra and ask for complaints and tell them that you are not satisfy with the service you get t4 you need a cancelation with mro credit.
telstra will offer you with brand new unit.
Goodluck.
Occasional Visitor
Roni666
0 Kudos

Hi, i've been having the same problem for about a week now. My samsung galaxy S4 turns off so many times throughout the day, and gets to the stage where it just keeps shutting down and auto restarting and shutting down and gets stuck in this loop until the battery is flat. I read online somewhere that this is a known problem with some of these phones where the battery swells up and needs to be replaced. I've been to the telstra shop and they weren't much help, they weren't aware of this problem even though if you google it, the first thing that comes up relates to this issue (and many posts on the topic). My phone is only 3 months old - this shouldn't be happening. I've ordered my own battery online now to see if this will fix it, but this should be fixed through telstra as i bought it through a 24 month plan through them. Very frustrating.

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

If your phone is faulty then our Telstra store staff should send it to the National Repair Centre to be assessed. The staff in stores are not qualified to make a judgement on if the issue is covered by warranty, however if it turns out that it is you may need to pay a quote fee even if you choose not to have the phone fixed.

Jayse

Roni,

If you can get to a Samsung store they will replace the battery free for you. Like you mentioned, it is a known issue and Samsung is exchanging the faulty batteries (Serial number like PonzuHuw mentions) I had the same issue and instead of having the phone sent away for something that is a known issue, last week i went to the Samsung Experience store in Highpoint and within 2 mins i had a new battery and was on my way. Nothing but praise for the staff there at Samsung. No issues with the phone since!

Cheers,

Jayse.

Helenangel
0 Kudos

HI, I been having similar problem for past couple weeks, with the phone playing up.. automatically turning itself off and I cantseem to turn it back on or tries to return itself on but dont  even when it has plenty of charge on the battery...  It is prettty frustrating. I been contemplalting of taking it in to the telstra store to get fixed but i dont wanna go without a phone for 2 weeks. I got told it could be needing the update, so i been trying all week to install the update..which is another frustrating process.. I know it needs it for sometimes my phone gets the message about the OS thing...

So atm as i speak im trying to update the software on my phone to see if that helps somewhat..

If it is the battery, I will take it to the samsung store in sydney when I go there and see if they can solve my problem.. my phone is is only 5 months old.. so i shoudnt have to have any problems with it yet.. but i am.. I loved my phone til now, lol

Greg_Buch
0 Kudos

Hi Helenangel, I hope it can be sorted out for you soon. If you do take the mobile to a local Telstra Shop to be forwarded to our National Repair Centre they should also be able to provide a temporary loan handset for the time your handset is sent away. 

Greg
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team