Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
Shacl
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

HTC OneXL not connecting to Internet - Anyone else

OK. Seems I may not be alone in this issue (after a quick internet search), however just interested if anyone else having the same issue. Connect to Wi-Fi with HTC One XL is fine, however it will not load any external pages, keep getting errors about page not found or page unable to load etc.

I have switched phone off, toggled modem etc. As I mentioned above I have had a quick look on the 'net and it does seem to be a HTC issue.

Interested to know if anyone from Telstra has had similar "complaints" and if so whether HTC have provided any solutions. It seems that HTC are not all that communicative about it.

I do have a data plan, however for big downloads, updates etc I would prefer to not to chew up my mobile data allowance.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

Community Leader
Drat

Re: HTC OneXL not connecting to Internet - Anyone else

Connect to Wi-Fi with HTC One XL is fine, however it will not load any external pages, keep getting errors about page not found or page unable to load etc.

What do you mean specifically? Are you saying that,

1. you have a wireless router (which may be an all-in-one modem/router unit) that is connected to the Internet;
  2. the wireless router is broadcasting its network SSID;
  3. your HTC One XL handset is able to detect the wireless network by SSID;
  4. your handset has established a connection successfully to the router by Wi-Fi;
  5. the Wi-Fi network interface is assigned an IP address on the LAN by DHCP;
  6. you are able to connect to the wireless router's administration facility (typically at http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ or http://10.0.0.138/), using the browser on your handset, and log in as the admin user;
  7. you can see that your handset is listed among the connected devices, on the pages in the router's administration facility;
  8. you are unable to connect to any web (HTTP) server that is not on your LAN using the browser on your handset; and
  9. other end-user devices connected to your router are able to access Internet web sites on their browsers?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
New Contributor
Shacl
0 Kudos

Drat wrote:

Connect to Wi-Fi with HTC One XL is fine, however it will not load any external pages, keep getting errors about page not found or page unable to load etc.

What do you mean specifically? Are you saying that,

1. you have a wireless router (which may be an all-in-one modem/router unit) that is connected to the Internet;
  2. the wireless router is broadcasting its network SSID;
  3. your HTC One XL handset is able to detect the wireless network by SSID;
  4. your handset has established a connection successfully to the router by Wi-Fi;
  5. the Wi-Fi network interface is assigned an IP address on the LAN by DHCP;
  6. you are able to connect to the wireless router's administration facility (typically at http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ or http://10.0.0.138/), using the browser on your handset, and log in as the admin user;
  7. you can see that your handset is listed among the connected devices, on the pages in the router's administration facility;
  8. you are unable to connect to any web (HTTP) server that is not on your LAN using the browser on your handset; and
  9. other end-user devices connected to your router are able to access Internet web sites on their browsers?

OK answers to above;

1. Yes -  iinet BoB unit. Is connected

2. Yes - confirmed. Again I have other devices connected e.g. printer that needed SSID

3. I make the assumption that it is as it advises me that it has connected to our network (if this is different feel free to let me know)

4. It would seem so, according to the connection notification.

5. Yes

6. Yes I can,

7.all I can see though is "four" wireless devices connected and by my count that should include my phone (two other PCs and a printer)

8. correct - can't even connect to m.bigpond.com for example

9. other end devices certainly can connect, this laptop I am on for example plus a couple of iPhones.

Doesn't look good. Have sent an email to HTC support for what that is worth as well.

Further thoughts?

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

Shacl wrote:

Further thoughts?

Can you connect to http://208.74.205.153/ (i.e. crowdsupport.telstra.com.au) with the browser on your handset, when it is connected to your Wi-Fi network?

Since the handset on your browser is able to access the admin facility on your router, I'm thinking your handset is either unable to resolve hostnames (DNS issue), or does not know to use your router as the default gateway for data traffic destinations outside of your LAN; I don't imagine your router treats traffic from your handset differently from that originating from your laptop, which is connected to it in the same manner.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
New Contributor
Shacl
0 Kudos

Drat,

Thanks, however still no joy. Frustrating thing is it was all fine until the latest Android update, again a quick search around seems to show that it is possibly an HTC issue, however not sure if Telstra has chased up their HTC reps to find out what the solution is. From what I can read I am not alone.

New Contributor
Shacl
0 Kudos

Anything further on this one. As expected I have had nothing from HTC:smileymad:

archer000
0 Kudos

htc one xl, cannot browse via wifi, says is connected, 'but' will not load internet. on going, htc technician, said to remove tick off box in power settings, soft reboot, still no good.

ongoing, this phone is a lemon, after 2 weeks purchased, as a birthday present by my wife for me...

we waited and waited, for a smart phone 'now' look what we have...

telstra, you have a worm. no one not even JB HIFI, would help as i do not have a regular address.

lemon

archer000
0 Kudos

people really need to research Smart Phones before purchasing,after buying, htc one xl, and experiencing unable to browse via wifi, and performing everything known, by jb hi fi, and Telstra, and HTC technicians, when you could get them, and service was slack. do not purchase this phone. real lemon. expensive lemon.stra, use this phone as a plan phone, dont fall in trap.

fatbear
0 Kudos

The problem is something to do with the last software upd...

The problem is something to do with the last software update.

I am also having the issue. and until that update come through I had no issues with the phone.

After the update come through I can no longer get any wifi connection.

The phone says it is connected but when you goto look at anything or do anything ....nothing.

It is very frustrating as I have been trying to solve this issue for about 6 weeks now and nobody can give me an answer.

New Contributor
Shacl
0 Kudos

Re: The problem is something to do with the last software upd...

The latest thought from HTC is to carry out a "factory reset" and if that doesn't work then take it back to Telstra for a "technical" assessment. 

I will see how it all goes.....

Established Member
krooga
0 Kudos

I had this same issue immediately after upgrading to JB and raised in another forum called Jellybean on HTC one xl. Tried factory reset and didn't work, just created more work for myself. Was told to type into the dialler the following *#*#526#*#* as this reinstalls the WiFi driver. Has worked for me, never had an issue since.
New Contributor
Shacl

well looks like it all fixed. Clear internet cache and a factory reset and all seems to be up and running.......

>