Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

scottmac99

How to set up the outgoing smtp server on a Galaxy S2 using K-9 as the client ...

When you get to 'Outgoing server settings' after clicking on 'Outgoing server' in 'Sending mail' in 'Account settings' , this is what you need:

SMTP server = mail.bigpond.com

Security type = SSL (if available)

Port = 465

Require sign-in box = leave as a light grey tick.

Then when you click "Next" it will say "Checking outgoing server settings .." then go back to the Sending Mail screen, where it still says "Configure the outgoing mail (SMTP) server" under the heading "Outgoing server".

That's OK, it means it's actually worked :smileysurprised:

Telstra Employee
Tron
0 Kudos

Re: How to set up the outgoing smtp server on a Galaxy S2 using K-9 as the client ...

[ Edited ]

mail.bigpond.com

Turn off SSL 

Port 25

is the settings for outgoing mail of bigpond emails

Mail.bigpond.com

incoming no SSL 

Port 110

Is for incoming.

Are you sure you can send and recieve mail.... ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only. I also participate in my own time.
starlite
0 Kudos

Re: How to set up the outgoing smtp server on a Galaxy S2 using K-9 as the client ...

Hi,

I have a Galaxy S4 and can receive mail but can't send any.

The phone is with Telsra.

I get my mail in from my cable ISP, Optus mail.optusnet.com.au etc
but even though I set up the SMTP for Optus cannot send it.

I have tried to use the mail.mydom.com.au, a web site where I also get mail, but that also doesn't work.

I have used mail.bigpond.com but don't know what my User and pwd is.

I used the generic Email program with Galaxy S4 but have moved to the K-9 app as it seems better, yet that still doesn't send.

It all ends up in the Outbox.

Any help please?

oz

Technical Support
Matt_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi starlite,

Please try going into the email account settings on your handset and go to the outgoing mail server settings. Please try mail.bigpond.com as your outgoing mail server with the default port of 25 to begin with and see if mail will send after changing that. You should only have to put it into the outgoing mail server settings and won't require any username/password for this.

You can see more settings here: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

-Matt W

Telstra Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
>