Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Geekyjohn
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nexus 4 and Network Speed

Hey there, new to the forums :smileyhappy:

I'm thinking of buying a Nexus 4 and switching to Telstra. While I realise the Nexus 4 doesn't support LTE/4G it does support HSPA+ 42.

I'm wondering if anyone can verify for me that the network speeds are indeed awesome when using the Nexus 4 on Telstra.

(And maybe a recommendation for a plan for someone who doesn't make many calls and uses about 1 - 1.5 gb of data per month)

Contributor
Chegzilla

Re: Nexus 4 and Network Speed

As the handset supports the 850Mhz frequency, you will theoretcially be able to get speeds up to 42Mbps, however, as the handset hasn't been tested/optimised for the Telstra network there is a possibility that you will receive slightly lower than normal speeds than what you would have if you were using a Telstra purchase handset (as an example, a customer of mine used a UK S3 and received speeds about 5% lower than what we were getting from our 2 S3 handsets)

For a BYO plan, there would be three 12 month options for you

$35/month will give you 0.25GB, $300 of included calls and sms

$50/month will give you 1GB, $600 of included calls + free standard SMS

$60/month will give you 1.5GB, $800 of included calls, free standard SMS + voicemail + standard calls between 7pm and 7am.

On top of these options, you can add additional data ($5/250mb, $15/1GB, $30/3GB).

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Chegzilla

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't forget to show your appreciation - mark solutions when you see them, and provide your Kudos wherever you see a fantastic answer.
New Contributor
adamhill212

Hi Geekyjohn, I have a nexus 4 and have been doing a few speed tests. I live in a smallish town in South Gippsland and I am getting an average of 16mbs, which is about 6 faster than any phone I have had previous. (HTC Sensation was the fastest previous at about 10). In Burwood where I work I get around 12-13mbs average. Hope this helps!

Geekyjohn

Thanks Chegzilla, going 5 or 10 (or 50)% below the theoretical max of 42 mbits is probably quite acceptable, even at half that speed it's going to be a tad (lot) faster than Voda.

Thanks adamhill212, it's reassuring to know good speeds are possible!

I was tossing up between getting the Nexus 4 and the Galaxy S4, I think this has swayed me in favour of the S4!

New Contributor
adamhill212
0 Kudos

Done another speed test today at work in Burwood and got 20Mbs! Couldn't believe it!

Occasional Contributor
PeterAdams
0 Kudos

I have a Nexus 4 too and am very happy with network speeds, generally getting between 7 to 19mbs, compared to my friends iphone 4 he gets about half in the same area.

If you are brining your own phone you might want to consider prepaid as when you look at the sums it s probably better value than bring you own.

I am a little concerned though that there are now Telstra resellers at the bottom of the market selling 3g,. Hope this doesn't saturate Telstras 3G network.

>