CROWDSUPPORT ®

ColinL
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S2 turns itself off

I've had my new Samsung for just a few weeks but have noticed it turns itself off several times a day. I thought perhaps it happened while it was in my shirt pocket but this seems not to be the case every time. Googling the problem comes up with several suggestions including faulty phones, battery not sitting properly. Has anyone else had this problem & is there a solution other than returning the phone to Telstra.
ColinL

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 turns itself off

I think I've solved this one myself.  Took the battery out, cleaned both battery terminal & phone terminals (by gently rubbing with a soft eraser) re-installed battery ensuring it fitted properly, replaced back ensuring it was on correctly & restarted.  Since then the phone has not turned itself off, and I seem to be getting a better battery life.  Seems a simple solution to an annoying problem.

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
TheL
0 Kudos

ColinL wrote:

I think I've solved this one myself.  Took the battery out, cleaned both battery terminal & phone terminals (by gently rubbing with a soft eraser) re-installed battery ensuring it fitted properly, replaced back ensuring it was on correctly & restarted.  Since then the phone has not turned itself off, and I seem to be getting a better battery life.  Seems a simple solution to an annoying problem.

Hey ColinL, 

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that it's all sorted out now!

:smileyvery-happy:

Telstra Social media Team.

Need help with your account? You can Chat with us here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Occasional Visitor
elstavd
0 Kudos

Hi, I also have the same problem, so I cleaned the battery connection, and wil see how it goes.  But I also noticed that if you hold the power button down long enough, even though the phone is locked, it still reboots.  I work al lot on my knees ( I'm a gardener ) so there is a lot of tension on my pocket most of the times.  My phone reboots about 5 or 6 times a day.  I carry my phone in a pouch, and think that if there is tension on my pockets, inside the puoch the pressure is enough to hold down the power button long enough to switch off the phone.  Maybe it's a firmware related issue that can be fixed?

Occasional Visitor
stanley70
0 Kudos

I have a four week old Telstra contract with a new GS2 supplied and have experienced frequent and random shut downs and screen locks/freezes. After trawling the interwebs, including this site, I figured it was related to the current Gingerbread firmware which apparently is causing problems on a varied range of manufacturers handsets since release mid to late 2011.

Now, when this morning I headed into what I understand is Telstra's flagship, or at least one of their more prominent stores; Elizabeth St, expecting to find out I'm not the only one with these problems and possibly finding some support or guidance I was offered the 'no one else has complained of that problem before' response and  that if I wanted Telstra to do something about it they could send it away for a couple of weeks. Not acceptable on a practically new purchase by a long shot.

I then phoned Telstra support who suggested it may be firmware related and offered me Samsung's number; I called Samsung, twice to be safe, and was told matter of factly that yes this was a know issue with 2.3.3. firmware and that Samsung were working on a solution.

I'm a little annoyed that;

1: Telstra sales staff (shop and phone) aren't aware of what is apparently a widespread problem (according to Samsung) 2: No one from Telstra (tech support / moderator) reading this site was able to offer any guidance whatsoever (aside from congratulating someone on reinserting their battery).

Sujoym
0 Kudos

Exactly the same problem on 4g handset only 8 days old most disappointed by attitude at telstra shop frankston - had no idea about these issues and since they turned it back on i was told the phone might come back as is if no fault found. Clearly inappropriate for a 8 day old handset which has already done it twice - what happens if they return it as is and it happens again? A most unhappy customer
Contributor
maxwellnotsmart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, forum leaves a 'bit' to be desired.. Get the occasion piece of good advice, but just as likely to get incorrect advice or generic answers or a link to something that doesn't actually cover your problem.       <edited: removed thoughts on the site>     Whirlpool and Overclockers are two other places to try for answers.

Occasional Visitor
S2King
0 Kudos

Whenever I bend the phone's screen backwards or forward hard enough ..... it will TURN off.

Do this by holding the top and bottom of the phone and bend the screen backwards , or even forward. Use some pressure on it ... it will turn off.

I guess when we put the phone it our pockets that is what causes it to turn off ....when we sit or squad

I dont think it has anything to do with the battery.

Manufacturing defect ?
Occasional Visitor
bloodynellie
0 Kudos

Don't think this can be full solution. My S2 never faltered on Gingerbread. After the update to ICS, it is now liable not just to turn off - but to constantlly keep rebooting. This makes the phone unusable from time to time. I too have suspected battery, but in my case I think heating. Any ideas?

seb
seb
0 Kudos

What I found out is that the battery has a tiny 3 pins that with a light movement of the mobile they miss contact and has a power fault due to that there is a big gap in between the battery and the lead that locks the back of the mobile, so what I did is, I located a folded paper servillet or a piece of thin card board in between the battery and the lead to hold the battery tight on its place so it does not move when you walk around with the mobile in your pocket. it seems to work.

Just do this test. before doing this solution, shake your mobile hard with your hand, if it does switch off, then put the thin cardboard in between battery and lead, make sure lead closes tight and properly without bending, then switch mobile on, and shake it again, if does not switch off, then is done, if it does switch off try to clean the pins and make sure they stick out and tht they have a good contac with the battery.

Let me know if it does works for you.

cheers

Seb

Visitor
bigron2000
0 Kudos

Just got a Galaxy S2 3 weeks ago and I have noticed that it is switching itself off, I do keep it in my pocket as most males do, but it still goes off even if I leave it on the table.

Once it has gone off, I can not get it back on again unles I remove the back cover and remove the battery. Once replaced it will switch on again. Thought it was a battery power problem but there has been power in the battery.

Seen on the net that, it is a Samsung problem, something to do with Gingerbread and now mine being a Icecream sandwich which has devoloped this problem, I hope not.

Have been onto Orange. my supplier, and after about an houre of messing about, it has to go for repair.

Will let you know how I go on.

Love the phone but bit fed up with this, hope it gets sorted.

sakthi
0 Kudos

i too hve the same problem...pls sme one help us

Occasional Visitor
Nang-a-nator
0 Kudos

This is a well know issue unfortunately. Telstra should replace you device if it encounters this issue. It is present in both Gingerbread and ICS. The problem is Customer support for non business users is pathetic to say the least.

I have had 6 of these phones replaced with the Telstra Business team after a quick call to our contract manager. Business support is very aware and are all to happy to swap. Retail on the other hand is another issue.

bigron2000; Try calling Orange and telling them a few tall tales. Tell them you are also an EE corporate customer and have had this issue on your corporate account or something along those lines. They may take you more seriously. Or if Orange support claim they aren't aware of any problems ask them to speak to Business support as I gurantee that they are aware. We have an O2 Premium Business account and have had 4 swapped so far no hasstles. About to swap number 5 today but thought I'd check if there was a resolution yet.

The issue we have gotten with these across our fleet is it seems like the phone is off. Screen does not come alive, calls don't go through etc. But holding the power button for an extended ammount of time makes the phone do the normal reboot that it does if you do the same thing when the phone is on and functioning normally. Seems the phone is not actually "off" per se just locked up with the display off and no longer accepting calls but still slowly consuming power (Pratically the same as it being off)