Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Visitor
Polentonian
0 Kudos

Samsung Galaxy S3 H/H+ and firmware upgrade

Hi,

purchased the Samsung galaxy S3 from Optus which was unlocked. I then inserted my Telstra sim card into the phone and everything was working fine, even the internets speed. I was able to get 3G/H/H+. When the firmware upgrade came out, I updated my phone and since then I can only get 3G/H. I am in a good reception area. I was wondering if anyone knows why. i have a bit of an idea and believe that the firmware update uses the Optuse Modems which don't work on the Telstra frequency 850Mhz, but not 100% sure. is there anyway to set it to the telstra frequency? Have spoken with telstra, optus and Samsung and they were of little help!

If I need to reflash with Telstra firmware where can I optain it from so that future updates are Telstra ones aswell as having the correct baseband etc.. If I need to use ODIN to flash, where can I obtain the Telstra firmware files for it please.

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 H/H+ and firmware upgrade

Polentonian wrote:

Hi,

purchased the Samsung galaxy S3 from Optus …‹snip›… where can I obtain the Telstra firmware files for it please.

I think a forum like xda-developers would be more appropriate for that kind of question.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

Strongly disagree Drat

Polentonian is only asking to obtain updates that he is entitled to as a telstra customer!

i have the same issue my wife has a vodafane S3 with a telstra sim she cannot get the updates from vodafone becuase of the telstra sim and she cannot get them from telstra as kies will not recognise the the phone.

i want to instal the stock standard telstra rom so she gets the telstra updates as i do as she is a telstra customer she is also entitled to those very same updates is litigation necassary????!

i find telstra very unhelpful in this regard and discriminatory in its view.

Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

hi Polentonian

follow this link

http://www.geekyandroid.com/2012/10/samsung-galaxy-s3-gt-i900-firmwares-download-stock-roms-jelly-be...

ensure you select Australia Telstra if your in the land of Auss then you will ODIN google it and google utube for instructions.

download an old version then it should update as Telstra and Kies will see the phone.

i take no responciblity if you brick your phone.

Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

try this site too

SamMobile.com

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

AUSSIEGREENS wrote:

Polentonian is only asking to obtain updates that he is entitled to as a telstra customer!

I'd recommend that you (i) read his post again, paying attention to details, and then (ii) read up on Australian Consumer Law and Telstra's Our Customer Terms, before you make wild claims about his entitlement.

Polentonian wrote:

Hi,

purchased the Samsung galaxy S3 from Optus which was unlocked. I then inserted my Telstra sim card into the phone and everything was working fine, even the internets speed.

What's his entitlement as a Telstra Mobile service customer? Just a fit-for-purpose mobile service for connecting calls, sending and receiving TXT messages, and data network access, as well as a MessageBank mailbox. Absolutely nothing with regard to the handset he bought elsewhere.

And then, even if he'd bought the handset directly from Telstra, he still would not be entitled to get a copy of the firmware image for the asking to do as he pleases.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

I'd recommend that you (I) read his post again, paying attention to details, and then (ii) read up on Australian Consumer Law and Telstra's Our Customer Terms, before you make wild claims about his entitlement.

We will beg to differ on this Drat this is the difference between customer based company and one that just wants to sell a product. (try reading beyond the written terms and conditions).

What's his entitlement as a Telstra Mobile service customer? Just a fit-for-purpose mobile service for connecting calls, sending and receiving TXT messages, and data network access, as well as a MessageBank mailbox. Absolutely nothing with regard to the handset he bought elsewhere.

And then, even if he'd bought the handset directly from Telstra, he still would not be entitled to get a copy of the firmware image for the asking to do as he pleases.

I find this statement both frustrating and idicative of poor customer service. You are just sore that he did not buy the handset from Telstra...bugger the fact that you are getting the service contract for for a set period of time good way to win him over for his next purchase.

i brought my BMW from a NON BMW Dealer but it still gets serviced by a BMW dealer and recieve software updates from BMW!

you miss the point completely.

HE WANTS TO BECOME A FULL TELSTRA CUSTOMER AND BRAND HIS PHONE TO TELSTRA why oh why do you find that so objectionable.

I would have thought Telstra would jump at the chance of pushing its own branded sales ware In exchange for what free updates that he can get anyway?  

And what do you expect he will do with the ROM other than install it, if he's asking you for it he is not about to hack and modify it? really if so why is he on this forum asking you for the rom,

In an early post you send him to XDA developers some of these guys build roms from stock roms this In itself smack of Hippocratic you are very guarded about a Telstra ROM but happy to send him to a site where he can obtain an altered ROM you did not even refer him to the office SAMSUNG site for a ROM......?

Actions speak louder than words i work in a very customer service based industry and i do not see a problem with this persons request therfore, as I said earlier we will beg to differ.

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

AUSSIEGREENS wrote:
We will beg to differ on this Drat this is the difference between customer based company and one that just wants to sell a product. (try reading beyond the written terms and conditions).

It's perfectly fine to disagree. You made a statement about Polentonian's entitlement. Perhaps you can substantiate it by referring readers to documentation that confers that entitlement.

You do understand that entitlement is more than your say-so, but has to be conferred by some other entity bigger than yourself, don't you? Otherwise, all you have is wishful thinking.

I find this statement both frustrating and idicative of poor customer service.

Once again, you fail to pay attention to context and detail. Read my signature block. He is not my customer. You are not my customer. I don't speak for Telstra Corporation on CrowdSupport, but only give my uncensored views as a fellow Australian citizen, telecommunications services consumer, and Telstra customer.

You are just sore that he did not buy the handset from Telstra...

I'm not sore at all, but it appears you are. Whether the O.P. bought his handset from Telstra or Optus or any other merchant makes absolutely no difference to my material and personal interests.

you miss the point completely.

Again, it takes more than your say-so to make something fact.

In an early post you send him to XDA developers some of these guys build roms from stock roms this In itself smack of Hippocratic you are very guarded about a Telstra ROM but happy to send him to a site where he can obtain an altered ROM you did not even refer him to the office SAMSUNG site for a ROM......?

What, so now I'm a medical practitioner?

I'm not against him or anyone else buying from some other vendor, or finding or flashing or hacking any version of firmware. He cannot obtain a standalone Telstra firmware image for the handset model from either Telstra or Samsung through official channels, and trying to do so would only be a waste of his time. He may get closer to achieving his desired functional outcome by asking elsewhere, so why shouldn't I tell him that?

——

Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

As I said Drat we will continue to Differ

Sorry but you constantly miss the point.

my example of my BMW should have hinted at the effect PO was after.Telstra would be better served by asisting this person achive the desired outcome.....from customer and sales relation basis, this way they retain control.

"He cannot obtain a standalone Telstra firmware image for the handset model from either Telstra or Samsung through official channels"

in the time it took you and me to reply i have downloaded a stock telstra rom. Remember my earlier post re my wife ...her phone now has a stock telstra rom.

nothing you have said convinces me that ethicaly your stance is correct.

I will reiterate we will beg to differ

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

AUSSIEGREENS wrote:

"He cannot obtain a standalone Telstra firmware image for the handset model from either Telstra or Samsung through official channels"

in the time it took you and me to reply i have downloaded a stock telstra rom.

Was it through an official channel from Telstra or Samsung? If not, then how does it relate to what I wrote?

nothing you have said convinces me that ethicaly your stance is correct.

And nothing you wrote convinces me that you are factually and legally correct with regard to the O.P.'s entitlement as a Telstra customer as you have claimed.

With regard to ethics, as an Australian consumer and a Telstra customer I have no interest whatsoever in your opinion of what is ethical, only what I personally think is ethical.

——

Established Member
AUSSIEGREENS
0 Kudos

Sorry but you constantly miss the point.

My example of my BMW should have hinted at the effect PO was after.Telstra would be better served by assisting this person achieve the desired outcome....From customer and sales relation basis, this way they retain control

yes the down loaded ROM did come from an official channel (make google your friend)

With regard to ethics, as an Australian consumer and a Telstra customer I have no interest whatsoever in your opinion of what is ethical, only what I personally think is ethical

Good to see you keep an open and considered mind

Drat  I am glad you are in your profession and not mine as with "your views" you would certainly be sued sooner rather than later.  I am legally bound to do what is right for the customer both Ethically And Legally...Therefore I have a pretty good handle on ethics.

>