CROWDSUPPORT ®

Regular Visitor
hayleyrohrlach
0 Kudos

Battery Issues

Is anyone having issues with the iPhone 5 and battery life? 

I have already done one full charge cycle; I'm already down to 29% for the day (only 10hrs standby..) and barely used it. 

Do I have a dud?? 

I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but my old iPhone 4 would still have over 60% for the same use during the day. 

Occasional Contributor
Scotty2hottie18
0 Kudos

Re: Battery Issues

I'm the same. I use my phone no more than my 4s but have 40% less than I would the same time when I get home. I might make an appt with a genius. Google the whirlpool forum and there might be more info on how u can save battery. I've tried everything so far,
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F

Advice from Apple on Battery life and iPhones:

Viewing Usage Statistics

Awareness of how you use your iPhone and knowing how long your battery typically lasts can help you improve its battery life. You can view your iPhone usage statistics by tapping the Settings icon on the Home screen and choosing General > Usage. Under the “Time since last full charge” heading you’ll see two items:

• Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.
  • Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep.

Update to the Latest Software

Always make sure your iPhone has the latest software from Apple, as engineers may find new ways to optimize battery performance. Using the latest version of iTunes, you can update your iPhone with the latest software. Connect your iPhone to your computer, then select iPhone in the Source List. In the Summary pane, click “Check for Updates” to see if there’s a new version of the iPhone software available. Click Update to install the latest version. If your iPhone is running iOS 5 or later, you can also wirelessly update it to the latest version by going to Settings>General>Software Update and following the onscreen instructions.

Optimize Your Settings

Depending on how they are configured, a few features may decrease your iPhone battery life. For example, the frequency with which you retrieve email and the number of email accounts you auto-check can both affect battery life. The tips below apply to an iPhone running iOS 5.0 or later and may help extend your battery life.

• Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and set Auto-Brightness to On.
  • Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo! or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.
  • Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
  • Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification service to alert you of new data. Applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and disable notifications for select applications. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.
  • Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services or use location services only when needed.
  • Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.

Lock Your iPhone

It may seem obvious, but you should lock your iPhone when you aren’t using it. You will be able to receive calls and text messages while it is locked, but nothing happens if you touch the screen. To lock iPhone, press the Sleep/Wake button. You can also set the Auto-Lock interval so your iPhone will turn off more quickly after a period of inactivity. To set Auto-Lock, go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock and set the interval to a short time, such as 1 minute.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Frequent Visitor
Cootified

Hey

You have probably heard the usual spill, reduce notifications and locations services, but below are some features you may not know, that you may not need.

1. Location System Services (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services)

(I) Cell Network Search - Assist in find the nearest cell towers - I leave this ON

(ii) Compass Calibration - Assist in maps navigation - I leave this ON

(iii) Diagnostics & Usage - Sends usage stats to Apple periodically - I've turned this OFF

(iv) Genius for Apps - Recommends you other apps based on what you have - I've turned this OFF

(v) Location-Based iAds - Assists in delivering localised ads - I've turned this OFF

(vi) Setting Time Zone - Uses location to find which time zone you're in - I've turned this OFF

(vii) Traffic - shows and uploads your traffic status when using maps (crowd source) - I leave this ON

I have also adjusted the following settings:

2. Settings > General > About > Limit Ad Tracking > ON

3. Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Don't Send

I have found that by adjusting the settings above, I have gained about half a day of battery power, meaning, I would leave my house at 8am Monday with 100% charge that would last until Tuesday at about Midday, hovering between 1-5% battery level.

Also remember, you network connection reliability plays an important factor. If you are in an area with bad coverage, your iPhone may be scanning and trying to connect to network towers more than a regular user.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

YD.
Sydney