CROWDSUPPORT ®

New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

How to successfully unlock iphone?

Hi,

3 days ago I called telstra to have my apple iPhone 3G unlocked and gave my IMEI number and phone number.  However, I attempted to set up my iphone today and when I put my Virgin mobile sim card in the phone, a permanent message is now saying 'insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate iphone'.  Can you suggest anything that will help? Thank you.

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: How to successfully unlock iphone?

should be able to unlock the sim card and it should work.

have you connected your phone to itunes?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

what do you mean by unlock the sim card?

should there have been any unlocking codes?

yes I have, it says there is no sim when the sim is in there.

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

after the update has been processed on Telstra's end all you need do is connect to iTunes and check for updates while you have a non Telstra SIM in the phone, if there is a SIM lock on the SIM card itself then I think you would need to unlock that first, any preset SIM lock info would have come with the card

keep in mind the 3G is an 850/2100Mhz 3G phone, Optus services use 900/2100Mhz so your coverage may vary
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

I went by the instructions of a forum I found, it told me to restore me to restore the iphone without the sim, but now when I put the sim in it won't recognise it and I certain the sim is not locked. Could the problem be that I restored and synced it with no sim card inserted? 

what do you mean by this >> "keep in mind the 3G is an 850/2100Mhz 3G phone, Optus services use 900/2100Mhz so your coverage may vary"

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

there's no need to do a restore to process an unlock but what's done is done, if you put a Telstra SIM in there is it working fine?

the iPhone 3G supports 850Mhz and 2100Mhz 3G network frequencies, this is the same as what Telstra use, Optus based 3G services are supplied over 900Mhz and 2100Mhz network frequencies, the iPhone 3G only supports one of the Optus 3G network frequencies (2100Mhz)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

okay, yes that is right.  no, i've tried 4 sims, and none of them are working but I know the phone works, it has only just started to come up with the following screen:

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 8.12.57 PM.png

okay, i'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean by that, will my iphone 3 support the sim card?

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

try doing the restore again but do it with a Telstra SIM in the phone

it will work with other SIM's once unlocked, Optus have limited 3G support for the old model that's all
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

I don't know how to do the restore because the screen is as following:

Screen shot 2012-01-20 at 8.27.34 PM.png

Okay, any ideas of how to unlock the sim?

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

I can't see your images yet (the moderators have to approve images before they are visible to others), once I can see them I'll have a look and see what help I can offer, there's nothing particularly difficult about what you want to do though
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

Oh I see, I am unable to use my iPhone or access my iphone from itunes.  Okay, do you think the iphone will work with the sim?

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

if you don't have anything on the phone then possibly better to just reset the phone from the handset to wipe it then connect to iTunes and setup from scratch

I take it you're on the current firmware version, no jailbreak etc?
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

Oh that sounds likw a good idea, do you know how to do that?

Yes that is correct, it has been unlocked but that is all.

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

Settings/General/Reset/Erase all Content and Settings
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

Is that on the iphone or on itunes? Because if it is on my iphone then I cannot access anything :smileysad:

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

that's on the iPhone, have you activated the phone???
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

Okay, I cannot access it because it is stuck on a screen saying invalid sim :smileysad: i was in the process of activating the phone, although when i inserted the sim card the phone read invalid sim (as did several other sims) and i could not activate in through itunes

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

what happens with a Telstra SIM in the phone?
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

It says the same thing

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

where did you get the phone from, what's the history, is it a hand me down off someone else, was it running prior to this etc
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

I got it from a friend who was with telstra

Ben_F
0 Kudos

OK, I'm going to run through some steps with you to reset the phone back to defaults.

Step 1 - Push and hold the home button until the phone powers down

Step 2 - Hold the home button, and whilst doing this connect the phone to itunes.

Step 3 - On iTunes, the phone should be in recovery mode. Please restore the phone to scratch.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

I haven't seen the pics he attached yet but the phone may need to go into DFU mode to sort it out, details here about how to do that http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

thankyou i am currently doing that

New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

i just did that and it is still coming up with the same message

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

just did which?

is the Telstra SIM you are using an active (working, activated) SIM?
New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

i put it into DHF mode.

no i was using the virgin sim card but my telstra sim is no longer active because the guy from virgin mobile cancelled it.

New Contributor
sinead
0 Kudos

sorry i meant DFU*

Ben_F

Just to clarify, you have put the phone in DFU mode, restored it, and you are now getting the "SIM Locked" error message?

If this is the case, and you have confirmed that the IMEI is unlocked, I would be suggesting you contact Virgin, as all my iPhones give me the option after getting that popup message to "Unlock" the SIM card. If you can access the phone, can you also try going to Settings > Phone > SIM Pin and turning it OFF.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Community Leader
jokiin

sinead wrote:

i put it into DHF mode.

no i was using the virgin sim card but my telstra sim is no longer active because the guy from virgin mobile cancelled it.

if your phone has yet to be unlocked then you would need an active Telstra SIM in there as it will stall at the part where it wants to activate, even an active Telstra prepaid $2 SIM would do the job

New Contributor
sinead

okay, so seeings as i did not have an active telstra sim in the phone while the unlocking process was in order, would that be the problem?  although, i have tried active telstra sims in the phone and they do not work

Community Leader
jokiin

needs a valid SIM, if it can't see the SIM perhaps that's your problem, faulty SIM reader etc