Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

woogz23

My phone is showing SOS only. why is this?

Hi,

I have no service and it is showing SOS only. How do i fix this?

Thanks

Norma

Community Leader
jokiin

Re: My phone is showing SOS only. why is this?

that generally means either your phone can see a network but not your own carriers network or you have an inactive SIM (disconnected, out of credit etc)

Could also happen if you had played around with settings on the phone and didn't have network selection set to automatic and had the incorrect network selected
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Community Leader
Drat

Also, please confirm that you actually have a SIM card properly inserted in the handset, and that you have entered the correct PIN if it was requested upon the handset being switched on.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Occasional Visitor
00britt00
0 Kudos

Hi,

My mum and I are overseas and are having the same problem - they both say 'sos only'and are pretty much useless.

Would you be able to explain your answer further - like what settins they should be on; what to do if the phone can see a network but not your carriers; etc.

Thank you!

Britt

Occasional Contributor
remark
0 Kudos

Just noticed this thread.  I had this problem in the last week too.  Just picked up the phone and noticed it was SOS only.  It must have been like it for a while as it sucked a bit of life out of the battery.  I put the phone into and out of airplane mode, and moved it a short distance from its location.  I don’t what fixed it but something did.  It’ didn’t immediately jump back on the network after playing around with airplane mode so I don’t think that was it.

It had me a bit worried as it took its sweet time getting back on the network.

Occasional Visitor
tracyn
0 Kudos

hi,

how can i take the SOS only showing off

KaH
Contributor
KaH
0 Kudos

My wife's work phone just did the same - pity there is no answer here.

Occasional Visitor
karenj
0 Kudos

Hi, I have just fixed this on my iphone 5 by powering it off and on by holding both the centre button down with the top right power button at the same time..  I went in first and checked the setting to ensure that the "Network Selection" was on automatic - I read this in another feed.  This didn't do anything so I thought I'd try the complete power down.  It worked.

Occasional Visitor
phonechick
0 Kudos

You can get the phone out of SOS only by activating & deactivating flight mode - rather than full power cycle of the phone. As to why it's happening, I don't know but it's very annoying.

parveen91
0 Kudos

woogz23 wrote:

Hi,

I have no service and it is showing SOS only. How do i fix this?

Thanks

Norma

SOS calls only is nothing but Emergency calls only.

There are two possibilities to get this type of issue.
1.You mobile phone receives weak signal from near tower so try to Swich off your mobile,wait few seconds and switch on.
2.Your mobile is locked to particular network provider.
If your problem persists after switch on your mobile phone,definitely your mobile phone restricted by some network so try to unlock your mobile phone.You can unlock your mobile phone using network unlock code.It's the best way to unlock your phone.If you need an unlock code for your visit Unlock-Zone.com    I hope it will be very useful to you.