Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Established Member
zymurgyst
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Overseas Travel

Hi All,

First post. Searched many threads for what I think are simple questions, but cant get direct answers. I think one is answered though...

I have an iPhone 5.

When travelling o/s and not wanting to incur large data charges / massive bill for anything, what do I need turned off / on to still receive SMS and calls?

From my searches it seems if I turn Cellular Data off and Data Roaming off, I can still get SMS. Is that right?

Can I still get phone calls with both these turned off? It seems all I need is to make sure International roaming is set to on from Telstra to be able to get call. I am assuming here International Roaming is different to Data Roaming.

I even read on telstra website where they suggest you have data roaming on overseas, but reading further it may be just if you need to keep in touch via email?

I feel that by having both turned off, it will stop me being able to access email & internet which seems to be the big $ surprises to most that claim 'they were unaware' of these extra charges.  For example someone said they left Data roaming on so they could get SMS, but then copped a huge bill.

Is there anything wrong with my theory? All I need is to stay in touch with home via SMS or call if necessary.

If I want to check email I'll use one of the free wi-fi spots.

I have also read that some apps still get push notifications regardless? How can that be?

If all this can be answered in a simple doc somewhere on the telstra website, please point me there.

Regards,

zymergyst

Community Leader
jokiin

Re: Overseas Travel

turn roaming data off is all you have to do, don't turn it on at all and you won't get any nasty surprises, use WiFi only for your data needs and you won't have a problem, I'm out of the country minimum of 4 months each year and have never had any issue with data roaming

if you need data on the go use a mobile pocket WiFI device with a local SIM, I use a small Hauwei model (E585) for when I need data, plenty of other similar models about, just make sure to get one that is unlocked (or can be) to use with a local SIM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Established Member
zymurgyst
0 Kudos

So, why is there the option to turn cellular data off? Struggling to understand the difference.

Does cellular data only apply to the carrier youre contract is with? Therefore Telstra just wont work o/s?

Wouldnt apps and mail etc just use whatever network I am 'internationally roaming' to to send data over the cellular there?

Or does disabling Data Roaming over-ride that?

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

zymurgyst wrote:

So, why is there the option to turn cellular data off? Struggling to understand the difference.

Does cellular data only apply to the carrier youre contract is with? Therefore Telstra just wont work o/s?

Wouldnt apps and mail etc just use whatever network I am 'internationally roaming' to to send data over the cellular there?

Or does disabling Data Roaming over-ride that?

Turning cellular data off works regadless of where you are, home or abroad, roaming data is purely for when your overseas on another network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Established Member
zymurgyst
0 Kudos

Hi jokiin

I understand about turning data roaming off whilst overseas. Turning cellular data off works anywhere you say, so why not turn it off overseas? Your first post says only turn off Roaming data, nothing else. Why leave it on overseas then?

Could you please eloborate on the whys and hows?

I appreciate your reponse, just not understanding as the posts are brief and assume some prior knowledge, of which I have none.

Thanks.

Community Leader
jokiin

zymurgyst wrote:

Hi jokiin

I understand about turning data roaming off whilst overseas. Turning cellular data off works anywhere you say, so why not turn it off overseas? Your first post says only turn off Roaming data, nothing else. Why leave it on overseas then?

Could you please eloborate on the whys and hows?

I appreciate your reponse, just not understanding as the posts are brief and assume some prior knowledge, of which I have none.

Thanks.

by default on any handset roaming data is off which means you could hop off a plane and be receiving calls and SMS without worrying about data, turning cellular data off is not needed if you have roaming data off, if you were at home turning cellular data off is the only way to stop data, the roaming setting has no impact on your home network

in short if you haven't changed any settings then it will be fine as it is