Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Employee
JustinB

iPhone Activation & Setup - A Quick Refresher

The iPhone is a fairly omnipresent device in most of our lives these days – even if you don’t have one, there’s a good chance that at least one of your family members, friends or pets does.  And though it’s a fairly straightforward process, should you buy a shiny new iPhone, it’s handy to know the two ways to go about activating it for the first time.  So, without further ado...

It’s worth mentioning up front that if you purchase your iPhone from a Telstra Shop or dealer, it will be activated in store – a consultant in store will tether your new iPhone to iTunes in-store via USB cable and follow the steps to activate the iPhone so that you’re able to walk out using it without a problem.  However, if you order your iPhone over the phone or internet and have it delivered to you, you’ll need to activate the iPhone device yourself.

The main thing to note about activating at home is that you need to follow the first few steps before the phone is even turned on.  Firstly, put your Telstra Next G SIM (or micro SIM, if you’re the proud owner of an iPhone 4) card into the device using the SIM tool (that looks a little like a paperclip with a straight end to it) provided in the small envelope-shaped box inside your iPhone box.  Following that, open iTunes on your computer (it doesn’t matter if you have a Mac or a Windows PC).  Also make sure at this point that you have the latest version of iTunes downloaded so that any new features introduced since the iPhone was released are available to you as soon as you use your phone for the first time.

At this point, you can turn your phone on, and you’ll see a screen showing a message (and a handy little diagram) to connect to your iPhone to your computer, and iTunes, via USB cable.  Once you have, after following the onscreen instructions to name your phone and register it with Apple (if you want to), a pop up box will come up to confirm that your iPhone has been successfully activated.  As soon as this has happened, it will then automatically begin to sync your contacts, calendar, music, video and internet bookmarks – of course, if you choose to sync this information it may take some time, depending on how much information is being transferred between your iTunes account and the iPhone.  For my 32GB iPhone 4 and my excessive music, video and photo libraries, it took a good half hour.  Maybe I should take that as a sign to be more selective with my downloading...

Depending on when you’ve purchased your iPhone, iTunes may also let you know that a software update is available to download for your iPhone (which often enables new features or fixes small software/hardware bugs).  You can choose to do this straight away or at a later date, but be aware that these updates are often at least 200-300MB in size.  As soon as this is done, you should see a message on iTunes indicating that ‘iPhone sync is now complete’.  And with that you’re officially done!

Of course, with iOS 5 coming in the next couple of months, things will be changing again – you won’t even need to be connected to your computer to do all of this!  And when it does, you’ll see more from me on it all.  Maybe a tidy little iOS5 primer... 

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines