Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

smallocean
0 Kudos

Bigpond Mail Quota Issues

I have recently been receiving emails from 'Telstra' claiming that my bigpond mail account is over quota.  People have been sending me messages and getting bouncebacks saying the same.  I have logged into webmail and tried to delete all messages from the Bigpond server but they won't delete and I get this error message.

Technical Failure:

An error has occurred while trying to provide the page you requested. This may be due to a problem with your browser or may be as a result of a current system outage. You can check for outages using the Service Status page. If there are no outages reported on the Service Status page you may be able to fix the problem by closing all of your browser windows and reopening them.

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

Re: Bigpond Mail Quota Issues

Do you use an email client, Outlook, Thunderbird etc? ISP mail quotas are generally quite low and you really need to be pulling mail off the server rather than leaving it sit there as this is a common problem, if you are using an email client it would seem you may have it set to leave mail on the server

If you need to have access to email from other locations using something like Gmail is a good way to manage your email, you can still send and receive as though it's from your regular email account but you can have all your email stored remotely for access

As far as having mail you can't delete you may have a malformed mail header on one of your email's that is tripping up the delete, try deleting one at a time to see if this is the case, also keep in mind that your mail quota is for your entire account, so sent mail, drafts, deleted items etc all go toward your allowance, you may need to purge mail from your deleted items before you can delete anything from your inbox

I've never used the Bigpond webmail so I can't give you specific detail on what to look for but hopefully this is of some help

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
smallocean
0 Kudos

Thanks jokiin i use Gmail, but something must have recently been changed in my settings by the sound of it.  I will see if it's set to leave mail on the server and see how we go.

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

smallocean wrote:

Thanks jokiin i use Gmail, but something must have recently been changed in my settings by the sound of it.  I will see if it's set to leave mail on the server and see how we go.

from memory the default with Gmail is not to pull mail off the server and just mark it read so it doesn't download again, there's a setting to have it remove mail from the server though, there was a recent upgrade to their mail system, perhaps it reset back to defaults when that happened

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
smallocean
0 Kudos

I actually just got a call from Bigpond Technical Support and he advised me to login to the old Bigpond  mail server http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin with my current login details.  There were 10,000 messages sitting on the server, which was apparently causing the MyInbox Webmail to error out.  I am now going through and deleting the archive of messages I don't need to bring me back under quota.  Your point with the Gmail settings is valid as well, I will check that and make sure that messages are not kept on the Bigpond Mail Server after deleting them in Gmail.

In the Gmail settings it has the following settings on - is this correct?

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:

Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)
Community Leader
jokiin

smallocean wrote:

In the Gmail settings it has the following settings on - is this correct?

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:

Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)

are you using IMAP with your account, I haven't ever used a Bigpond email address even though I have previously had a Bigpond service, the majority of ISP's don't allow IMAP as everything still sits on the server, if you are using Gmail to manage your account though there would really be no point, just use POP3 and pull the mail off the server, you could access your Gmail via IMAP yourself though as it is a better solution if you want to access mail from multiple locations and/or devices

Lostpatience
0 Kudos

Was this mail Quota issue resolved successfully with telstra? Having the same problem and ongoing issue. Any tips?

Rohan123
0 Kudos

I to am having the same problem haven't been able to delete bigpond webmail  email's for about three weeks, with the same error msg as talked about above, have tried to delete them on three different computers on different versions of windows so I know it isn't a problem my end. Getting a bit ridiculous .............

thedylan
0 Kudos

Hey Rohan123,

I am flagging this post for one of our Technical Support Team to have a look at during the week.

-Dylan

Dylan
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Rohan123
0 Kudos

Thankyou, Dylan :smileyhappy:

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Rohan123,

This is part of a known issue and there are two options to resolve this.

a) log in and manage emails via this link: http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin

b) migrate to the new mail platform hosted on Outlook.com http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email

If you choose to migrate, we recommend doing a back up of any important contacts and emails stored on webmail (just in case) and to request the migration at a time when emails are not critical.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Rohan123
0 Kudos

Thankyou Shelley,

Your first link to the old login worked very well thankyou :smileyhappy:

Rohan