Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Visitor
B-woods
0 Kudos

Bigpond email on PC (Outlook), Telstra IPhone 4s, and IPad 2 with Telstra3G micro Sim

Please Help, I have been using an Telstra email account bigpond.net.au for a long time with my PC using Microsoft outlook. This uses Pop3 to deliver mail. Firstly I added an iPhone 4s (3 months ago) with no major problems, being able to access my bigpond email on iPhone and home pc using outlook. The phone running Pop... Today I purchased an ipad2 and setup my email on it with the same settings as my iPhone. It appeared to work fine, however when I returned home my microsoft outlook access to my bigpond account was not working. By deleting my email account on my iPad, my pc started to work. The error message from outlook, when the pc was not working, was a deliver error and a statement about another device receiving the email... Or something to that effect... None of my apple devices delete the messages off he server etc. It appears as if the pop client can only deliver to outlook and one other device. When iPad, iPhone and outlook are on simultaneously it does not work. Is this a POP problem? Does IMAP solve this? Or what is the solution? Please include the settings required on each device in the answer. Regards Brett
Renee
0 Kudos

Re: Bigpond email on PC (Outlook), Telstra IPhone 4s, and IPad 2 with Telstra3G micro Sim

[ Edited ]

Heya Brett,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us! :smileyhappy:

Given that you are attempting to access your BigPond Webmail via three devices; ie. your PC, iPhone and iPad, I am confident that it is a POP restriction, simply as POP does not allow the access to the webmail server from many devices.

Therefore, this is something that IMAP can resolve as it acts like a window to your webmail, from many locations, without deleting emails from the server itself.

Whether IMAP is something we support, I'll be honest, I need to look into it further.

In saying that however, I have done some investigation and this appears to be a known issue with Apple devices, of which I have found some troubleshooting tips via the following link:

http://www.apple.com/au/support/iphone/assistant/mail/#section_3

Give that a shot, if you're still experiencing problems, it might be worth contacting our Tech Team on 133 933 (BigPond) or 125 111 (Mobiles), both teams are available to assist you 24/7. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps!

Be sure to let us know how you go, there may be someone else out there who's also having the same issue. :smileywink:

Renee
Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Bigpond email on PC (Outlook), Telstra IPhone 4s, and IPad 2 with Telstra3G micro Sim

I received a similar error when attempting to setup 2 iPhones with the same user accounts.

Settings are as follows:

Mail Server Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com

Username: Full Bigpond Email Address (example@bigpond.net.au)

Password: Self-Explanatory

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Honoured Contributor
Kalak

As far as I'm aware Bigpond don't support IMAP for email.

An alternative is to use Hotmail or Gmail and pull all your Bigpond email into that account which then can easily be accessed from anywhere and on multiple devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

yep no IMAP, as Kalak suggests using Gmail or similar to manage the account is a much more flexible solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Community Leader
Drat

B-woods wrote:
When iPad, iPhone and outlook are on simultaneously it does not work. Is this a POP problem?

From reading the Apple Support article to which Renee referred, I'll venture a guess that the root cause of the ‘problem’ lies in the implementation of the Mail app in iOS as a POP3 client; specifically, the Mail app fails to disconnect from the POP3 server once a message retrieval ‘conversation’ is complete, but waits until the user session is closed.

So, no, it is not “a POP problem” in that there is nothing wrong with POP3 as a mail protocol, or the BigPond mail server's implementation of it.

Does IMAP solve this?

No – at best it would be a work-around, by instructing the Mail app in iOS not to establish and hold on to a connection to the BigPond POP3 server, but it is not a solution that corrects Apple's POP3 client implementation.

Or what is the solution?

Get Apple to fix its Mail app. (Good luck!)

If you want to use IMAP as a work-around in the meantime, you can set up e-mail forwarding in your BigPond mail preferences to redirect all incoming mail to an IMAP mail account of your choice. (BigPond does not provide one, but you can easily get one from any number of free public ‘cloud’ service providers, eg. Windows Live and Google.) Alternatively, you can also set up Gmail, etc. to periodically retrieve your BigPond mail using POP3; however, the former approach is more likely to result in timely notification and/or delivery of your mail to the user device of choice.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Community Leader
jokiin

rather than email forwarding having the client pull the mail from the Bigpond account is generally a better solution, when the email is forwarded it can very often get marked incorrectly as spam as all mail is seen as coming from the one location, pulling the mail from the server avoids this problem however the fetch intervals may be a little longer, bit of a trade off but avoids the spam issue, depends on your volume of email though as to what's best
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

jokiin wrote:
when the email is forwarded it can very often get marked incorrectly as spam as all mail is seen as coming from the one location,

I can't say I've ever had the issue myself with forwarding my BigPond mail to my Windows Live account (and I do look in the Junk folder from time to time using my browser), but sure, it's a possibility and your mileage may vary.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

I suspect mail volume plays a part, I get a few hundred emails a day at times which probably accelerates the issue
Davidvk
0 Kudos

Hi Renee, I have just set up a third email account. The first two, my primary and an additional one, work fine on a Mac, iPad and iPhone. The third one does not. It will send, but not receive. I have printed out the settings on the one that works and copied those to the new one. I have reset the new password and deleted the new account from my devices and reinstalled a few times. I have called Helpdesk, but they say it is out of scope for them. Any clues on things to try to get incoming to work. Cheers. David
Established Member
justaskalocal
0 Kudos

now my iphone says my incoming mail server is wrong i have mail.bigpond.com WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON NOTHING WITH THIS COMPANY WORKS AND MY EMAIL IS NOW WITH HOTMAIL WHAT IS THIS.. Can someone tell my why the iphone wont work saying mail.bigpond.com is wrong

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Ben
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi again,

There are some easy to follow steps at http://explore.live.com/hotmail-mobile?T1=t2 that you can follow to get your Windows Live (Hotmail) email working on your iDevices. Just use your email address username@bigpond.com instead of username@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

>