Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Johnny1
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Inability to receive Bigpond emails through Microsoft Outlook since I purchased an iPhone5

Up until I purchased an iPhone5 I had been receiving my Bigpond emails through MIcrosoft Outlook.  No problems: all was good.  But when I got the iPhone5, and had it set up to receive my Bigpond emails, they stopped coming through Microsoft Outlook on my home PC.  

I rang Testra for help and was on the phone for 58 minutes with the first call, without success (I rang on 4 June at 10:37pm).  I rang the following night, and the third person I spoke with, Ace was his name, fixed the problem, just as I headed overseas.

But it didn't last.  I'd been away from for about 6 weeks, and when I went back into Outlook, there were no emails (not even the ones that arrived before I went overseas). 

The problem started when I had my new iPhone5 set up to receive Bigpond emails (that was a saga all by itself).  I don't understand why the purchase of the iPhone5 has caused this problem. 

I'd rather receive emails through Outlook because I have many folders already saved there, and want to continue saving email to those folders.  Webmail folders don't 'work as well (can't have subfolders, etc.).  I don't want mail saved in two place (Outlook and Webmail).

I've had a look at the blurb about "Bigpond and Outlook.com" but I am wary of lining myself up for more problems.  I just want my emails to come through Outlook, like they used to.  

Has anyone had the same difficulties?

Contributor
dracomjb

Re: Inability to receive Bigpond emails through Microsoft Outlook since I purchased an iPhone5

It sounds like you've got the iPhone mail configured with POP which means that it will download the email to the phone and then delete the email from the server.
Johnny1
0 Kudos

Re: Inability to receive Bigpond emails through Microsoft Outlook since I purchased an iPhone5

Thanks for your reply, dracomjb.    I probably have "got the iPhone mail configured with POP", but I don't have a clue what that means.  Your explanation does makes sense to me (mail being deleted from the server, and thereby not available to Outlook).  I had difficulty setting the iPhone up, so I rang Telstra for help.  It was a convoluted exerise getting the iPhone set up.  I had the home phone in one hand, and the iPhone in the other, listening to the Telstra instructions: "Try this" (which didn't work), then, "Try this", etc . . .  I would appreciate it very much if you could point me in the right direction to rectify this POP problem.  Thanks, Johnny1

Contributor
dracomjb
0 Kudos

I've just tested a POP setup and it appears that the iPhone isn't by default set to delete emails when configured for POP.

Can I get you to go to the Settings, Mail Contacts, Calendars and select your mail account. If you could provide the following information -

Does it mention Exchange or Hotmail or POP or IMAP?

If it says POP Account Information scroll down and select Advanced and advise what it says under Delete from Server?

If it says something else I'll have to get back to you after some research.
Johnny1
0 Kudos

Hi dracomjb.  Thank you very much for your reply.

I've gone to Settings, Mail Contacts ..., and selected my Bigpond account.

It shows:

- "POP Account information"

- Incoming Mail Server: Host Name as "mail.bigpond.com"

- Outgoing Mail Server: SMTP as "mail.bigpond.com".

I selected Advanced, and under "Delete from server" it shows, "Never".

The Server Port is 995

The S/MINE is OFF

Is this what you expected?

Contributor
dracomjb

That setting should mean that emails don't get deleted, but the easiest way to test this would be to turn the mail account off in your iPhone and then see if you can start getting emails on Outlook.

The other possibility, although I really don't know the Bigpond email system well enough, is that they are restricting you to 1 account login and not allowing two or more.

In Outlook with the iPhone mail account turned on, if you click Send & Receive and Send/Receive All Folders do you get an error message?

It might be worth talking with Bigpond support again, see if they can shed more light on this issue.

Johnny1
0 Kudos

ALL FIXED.  And how simple it was.  I've never needed to hit the "Send/Receive' before, to receive emails.  I hadn't thought of doing so until you mentioned it.  And, BINGO, all the emails came flooding in.   The "dickhead honours" go to me!  Thank you so very much, dracomjb.

Contributor
dracomjb
0 Kudos

Glad it's fixed.
colarc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My problem is that since i switched to an Microsoft account I can no longer receive emails to my Bigpond account, only to my Hotmail account. Any help would be appreciated as my Bigpond account is my main one.