Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

rdog
0 Kudos

Is IMAP available for BIGPOND email rather than old hat POP3 ?

Hi - currently using POP3 BIGPOND mail protocol, but like most people we now have multiple devices and using POP3 is a struggle especially when one of the devices (say my home PC) downloads the mails.  Is IMPAP available and can I switch across to it easily ?

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

Re: Is IMAP available for BIGPOND email rather than old hat POP3 ?

If, like me, your BigPond e-mail account has not been migrated over to Windows Live, then to the best of my knowledge IMAP is not available.

like most people we now have multiple devices and using POP3 is a struggle especially when one of the devices (say my home PC) downloads the mails.
You can always access your BigPond Webmail in the browsers on the other devices, and instruct the POP3 client application on your home PC not to delete messages from the server upon retrieval, I suppose.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
rdog
0 Kudos

So where do we find out when the cutover to Windows Live will occur ?  Can anyone tell me or do i have to call the 13 inquirey number? 

The other option is to simply use other IMAP enabled e-mail apps and have bigpond auto forward all of my emails.  Then I will not have to ever log into Bigpond itself.

Contributor
TonyInTsv
0 Kudos

EWWW, why would you want to use IMAP? Is it just because your email program is deleting the messages?

If your Outlook is deleting messages from the server, change the settings to "leave a copy on the server" That way they will remain there. You'll just have to go into the webmail every few months to delete any unneeded emails to stop you mailbox from becomming over filled.

I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
whatsupkramer

It is just not the email deletions, Imap also shows what is read or not.

Occasional Visitor
polydigm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TonyInTsv wrote:

EWWW, why would you want to use IMAP?

Many people use IMAP because of the mailbox structure they have used to organise their messages. It's nice that the structure of your entire email account is kept on the server. Wherever you access it you can see the same thing. Example 1, using your iPhone, you just move messages you want to store into the mailboxes you want them stored in. For a POP account, the only thing you see on your phone is the inbox. Example 2, if your computer crashes unrecoverably and you set up your email accounts all over again after the dust settles, everything is still there, intact. Many more reasons why IMAP is preferred by many people.

Occasional Visitor
AdelaidePete
0 Kudos

Syncing Notes with iTunes and OS X Mountain Lion v10.8

Apple: "You can sync with the Notes app using IMAP or iCloud. Syncing Notes using iTunes is no longer supported on OS X v10.8 and later."

://support.apple.com/kb/HT4191?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Unfortunately my telco, Telstra, does not support IMAP email accounts, only POP3, so we are being funnelled  by Apple towards iCloud dependency! Note that Photo Stream has just been 'upgraded' to support embedded advertising which will cost us data bandwidth and consequently dollars - especially when travelling.

Why can we not get Bigpond IMAP mail accounts?
>