Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

garwood1991
0 Kudos

Outgoing SMTP Mail Server

Hi Forum,

I have recently reinstalled a few programs for my mother on her computer and am having a small difficulty with confirming the server settings for her @bigpond.com email account.

I have followed several guides and forum suggestions, yet to no avail.

The settings I currently have are as follows:

Outgoing;

mail.bigpond.com

587 (no success) 25 (timeout after 60 seconds)

Incoming is working fine at this point.

I am using Windows Live Mail client. I have tried the settings for the live platform (smtp.live.com/pop3.live.com) with no success either.

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: Outgoing SMTP Mail Server

Hey Garwood,

Welcome to CrowdSupport and please feel free to hang around and see where you can help in our community.

Anyway, with regard to your mother's email settings:

The following email program settings apply if your email account on the BigPond Email platform and not on Outlook.com the following settings apply:

The following settings are for email clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird or Apple Mail:

Incoming Server Settings:

• POP Server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
  • Port: Default SSL Port 995

Outgoing Server Settings:

• SMTP Server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you're using)
  • If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android's please use TLS.
  • Port: Default SSL Port 587

Important - also be sure to:

• Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients, this is not checked by default).
  • Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection

Thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines