Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

atiltman
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Telstra Online Text Buddy

[ Edited ]

I have a client whom for the past few years has been using Telstra's Text Buddy to communicate with customers using their Telstra mobile numbers. Recently I found that the Text Buddy information page has vanished from Telstra's website.

My client has some new Telstra mobiles on their corporate account, when they went to activate text buddy accounts for these numbers it says their number is not telstra.

My client contacted Telstra and after speaking to several departments found that nobody within Telstra that she spoke to even knows what Telstra Text Buddy is?

Has this service been unofficially discontinued? Why can we no longer register new mobile numbers with the service?

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Community Leader
Kalak
0 Kudos

Re: Telstra Online Text Buddy

[ Edited ]

That being said, I believe that now people generally use the Telstra 'My Connect' website to send SMS that are billed to their account.

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/myconnect-explained

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Honoured Contributor
Lathania

[ Edited ]

Kalak wrote:

That being said, I believe that now people generally use the Telstra 'My Connect' website to send SMS that are billed to their account.

https://help.telstra.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17415/c/1986/kw/myconnect/r_id/130958

That said, MyConnect is in the process of being made obsolete. Once all @bigpond.com accounts have been migrated I'm quite sure that MyConnect is being de-commisioned and all associated Telstra services with it (MySync, MySMS, BigBlog etc.)

I personally have never heard of Online Text Buddy either but I would definately not reccomend changing to the MyConnect version.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

atiltman
0 Kudos

Text Buddy has been a useful tool for them because it doesnt require any additional separate accounts, passwords etc, when installing the product you simply enter your telstra mobile number, generate a pin code for access and from then on you can use text buddy to send/receive SMS's from that mobile number.

I somehow need to find someone within Telstra who can find out why the newest batch of telstra mobiles are being rejected by text buddy.

Thank you for the responses so far, need someone who can check out the new mobile numbers and advise why their being rejected.

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

I'm looking into it now seeing what I can find out =)

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Community Leader
Kalak
0 Kudos

So with Text Buddy no longer being actively supported (though I believe it's the only option for prepaid customers of this kind), and MyConnect being made obsolete (I assume because of the Live Mail 'upgrade'), are you aware of any plans to introduce a replacement service/product?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok so Text Buddy is actively supported however according to the person I spoke too there are very very very few people who use the service so it's not well known. (So Kalak, I don't know of any replacement for the MyConnect varient at the moment, Text Buddy may become the only SMS service.)

The error you're getting isn't standard so what you'd need is to talk to Level 2 Mobile Assurance Faults and they will need to escalate it for investigation. You can get them on 125 111 and say "Faults" followed by "Mobiles".

If you get misrouted ask for level 2 Mobile assurance 3-5 day fix times apparently so let us know how you go! =)

athania

aparnaa
0 Kudos

It's Informative. Thanks for sharing!!!

Telstra Employee
KrayzeeKev

atiltman wrote:

Text Buddy has been a useful tool for them because it doesnt require any additional separate accounts, passwords etc, when installing the product you simply enter your telstra mobile number, generate a pin code for access and from then on you can use text buddy to send/receive SMS's from that mobile number.

I somehow need to find someone within Telstra who can find out why the newest batch of telstra mobiles are being rejected by text buddy.

Atiltman,

Please PM me the numbers involved. This situation sometimes happens to phones within Telstra due to a particular combo of settings. Should probably not happen to you. 

I am in direct contact with the guys who can investigate this for you. I've been working with them for a decade. I managed the internal prototype that led to the creation of Online Text Buddy so hopefully I can help out.

I can confirm that I can't find it on T.com either. I'll ask about that too. It seems they've done a re-org of all those pages and it's centred around SmartPhone apps. And the alternative - Telstra Desktop Messaging - is still there but it's a business focussed product so not on that page.

You can search for Telstra Desktop Messaging and individuals (who work for somebody with an ABN) can sign up for the pay-as-you-go service which charges to their mobile. They then get a very capable web page for sending and receiving SMS and MMS including mailmerge, bulk sending, inbox wizard, auto-replies, etc (although some of those don't work on the pay-as-you-go service and need them to get a single business number to send on behalf of). The product also has a PC Client like Telstra Online Text Buddy with the additional feature of being able to leverage a "company address book".

But please get me some info on the numbers you're having trouble with for TOTB and I want to chase it down. 

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
atiltman
0 Kudos

Wow, lots of information here, thanks to all above!

KrayzeeKev, I will talk to my client and see if I can get a list of the newer telstra numbers (they are all on an enterprise account). I am not sure of the quantity of which are no longer functional, though I know my client has a list of numbers that were newly supplied. I will PM you with the numbers once I have confirmed with them :smileyhappy:

I'll also have a look at the Telstra Desktop Messaging and see if its something their staff would be capable of using :smileywink:

Thanks everybody!

New Contributor
MissTiff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry - here is the actual Telstra link for downloading this program:

atiltman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just to follow up in closing this thread, after receiving some assistance from Kev we identified that my client had somehow inadvertently had the barring code 'NOBUDDY' added to their new mobiles.

It is likely that they requested to bar everything except calls and SMS which is how this happened!

Big props to Kev as we were having no luck with the usual avenues, most didnt even know of this products existence!

Occasional Visitor
dan_boyce
0 Kudos

Hi - I am getting an error message as follows when I try to login:  "online text buddy communications error telstral online text buddy is unable to send request an error occurred inthe secure channel support" any ideas how to fix?  thanks,

zw
zw
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Established Member
watashi
0 Kudos

Indeed - VERY frustrating

There are dead links all over the place and (it seems) no way to send an SMS via a PC now for consumer types.

Would love to be proved wrong.

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Victor_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi

Online Text Buddy sales has been discontinued and as a result one cannot download the application from the Telstra website. However, its still supported for customers who already have the application installed and provisioned on their accounts. . Telstra Desktop Messaging has replaced it for business customers.

Victor

-Victor
Wireless Data and Mobile Voice Customer Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
& 24x7 Online Chat
gan
Occasional Visitor
gan
0 Kudos

I have spent enough time searching for this and contacted Telstra support.  Looks like I can not get this anymore from Telstra  web site. all the links just come back as not able to connect!!! Is Text buddy available at all??

Visitor
sutho010
0 Kudos

How do I get text buddy on my new laptop? the download seems to have disappeared.

Senior Moderators
Steph
0 Kudos

Hi sutho010

As Victor mentioned, it can't be downloaded anymore. 

We are only supporting it for people who still have it installed. 

Steph
Senior Moderator
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team
PM Steph - I’m a member of the Overnight Team, so I’ll reply to messages between 10:30pm – 7:00am on the days I’m working.

Live Chat with Telstra

Need help? Check out our KnowledgeBase here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution
All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Pasputer
0 Kudos

The online text buddy can be downloaded from a third party site. It is the real deal with no adwear or other addons. To get the installation package go to http://softadvice.informer.com/Text_Buddy_Telstra_Download.html

Pasputer

[ Edited ]

For text buddy to work you will need to modify the advanced security settings in Internet explorer.

• UNCHECK "Use SSL2.0
  • CHECK "Use SSL 3.0"
  • CHECK "Use TLS 1.0"
  • UNCHECK "Use TSL 1.1"
  • UNCHECK" Use TLS 1.2"

This should overcome the issue of receiving themessage "online text buddy communications error telstra online text buddy is unable to send request an error occurred inthe secure channel support"

Frequent Visitor
Pepitovfr
0 Kudos

I've been a regular user of Telstra Text Buddy for some time and have been happy with it. Pleased to see it's still supported for existing business users.

I'm having to replace my main computer so must re-install the app, and would like to save my address book to save having to retype them all in.

Does anybody know of any instructions to do this?

I assume it will need a partial manual export/import of Windows registry which I'm comfortable doing.

thanks.
Occasional Visitor
jf3000dotcom
0 Kudos

You can download the TXT Buddy from here

http://telstra-online-text-buddy.software.informer.com/

The app works fine and doesnt need any changes made to it, works fine under Windows 8.
I may know a thing or two about Telstra, but I do not work for telstra. Do not asking me questions related to Telstra.
tontela
0 Kudos

How do I retrieve my (forgotten) TB password?

Greg_Buch
0 Kudos

Hi tontela, with the Text Buddy service no longer being provided we're not able to reset passwords to provide access - if you have an ABN or ACN then you may be interested in the Desktop Messaging service instead via http://goo.gl/8JR59D;

Greg
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Rodneyoz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey All,

I know this is a ver late reply but,......................Telstra Online text Buddy (free version) still works and accepts all mobile numbers regardless of carrier.

email me for a copy of the Setup.exe file. {SNIP} I will try and post it to some sharing sites.

It's a great facility/app.

Rod

Moderator notes: removed content as personal information

Rodneyoz

[ Edited ]

it still works. contact me on {SNIP} for me to provide ou the setup.exe file. No Scam, just help.

Rod

ptlrc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hello, can you please send me a copy, my email is ****

ptlrc
0 Kudos

Rodneyoz wrote:

it still works. contact me on {SNIP} for me to provide ou the setup.exe file. No Scam, just help.

Rod

hello, can you please send me a copy, my email is fafaboke @ gmail dot com

JenJen05
0 Kudos

Does anyone know the server name and/or port that Telstra Text Buddy uses?

In the last week we have a user where it has stopped working on our internal work network, but works perfectly off it.

To escalate it I need more information on how it works so I can add detail. They wont accept a ticket that says "This doesn't work"

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi JenJen05

I am not able to find any information regarding the ports required for the Telstra Text Buddy.

The Text Buddy is no longer available for download on the Telstra.com site and while existing users with this tool installed on their PCs and notebook can continue to use the application,  but support is limited.

Business customers can register to use Telstra Desktop Messaging via: https://onlinesms.telstra.com/ and I would suggest using this instead.

- Shelly

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
abrogard
0 Kudos

What to do when it will not allow adding new contacts?  Tells you that it already exists?

Found another thread about this but it was old and without clear resolution of the issue.