CROWDSUPPORT ®

Community Manager
Yannick

Connected Home Products

[ Edited ]

A connected home is where your devices (such as your TV, computer, tablet, external hard drive and mobile phone) ‘talk to each other’ through the internet or your home network so you get the information and entertainment you want across different devices, and the right help to set it all up.

If there’s something not covered on the Telstra Connected Home webpage, post your questions here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

Re: Connected Home Products

[ Edited ]

If you are interested in winning a Connected Home Makeover checkout our post on the Telstra Exchange.

All you need to do is fill in the webform, in 50 words or less, why your nominated person or family desperately needs a Connected Home makeover. Competition opens 30 March 2012 12pm AEST and closes 30 April at 5pm AEST.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

dasi
0 Kudos

My internet is too slow

dasi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi telstra,

I wanted to ask why my internet is so slow. It is going at 1 mbph & cannot process downloads. The upload speed is 0.01 mbph & this is completely unacceptable seeing as we pay for much more than that. For the past twelve months I have had to waste priceless time trying to make this work. I have apsoloutly no idea why it is soo slow. I have also gone countless times replaying the disc you have gave us.everyday I still have very slow internet. The T Box is also a big problem, the screen is oftern blurry due to internets low speed and sometimes it doesnt even connect with the wi-fi. Is they anything you can do too improve the system. If you can come and visit us maybe or write a detailed message regarding this matter please do so. You are constantly forcing me by hand to take you out of the complication for ever. Therefore, please comply otherwise i will have no other choice then to find a better server. This issue has gone on for far too long.

Kind regards,

Waseem

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Waseem,

I've edited your post to remove the email and phone number for security reasons :smileyhappy:

In regards to your speeds, have they always been this slow? Or is this a recent change? Have you called us to troubleshoot this one? If it is a fault we'll require testing on our end. 

Brodie

Telstra Bigpond Technical Support

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
& 24x7 Online Chat
env
env
0 Kudos

Hi Yannick, is home wireless network traffic free of charge when i connect 4 computers and a printer to a wireless router without an internet connection?

ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi Env, 

To confirm, are you asking if you can use your devices wireless (and get charged for it) when you're not connected to the internet?

Could you clarify?

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
env
env
0 Kudos

Yes ShannonD precisely.
env
env
0 Kudos

ShannonD,

Also, How do I know my network data traffic via my router, for example - printing etc wirelessly, IS NOT being charged to my Wireless USB dongle connected to the router? When I print or do anything else via wireless network I can use up to 200mb sometimes 600mb when printing photos or scanning documents and all this usage is collectively displayed as wireless data used when I'm not using the internet. Is telstra billing me for network traffic too?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi env,

A web search will no doubt yield a more detailed explanation, however I am going to try and keep this simple.

The usage meter operates in our network rather than from within your modem/router, so only data that passes through the router, modem and then on through our server is counted.

These days the modems have the router built in rather than having to install a separate unit, however these two components still perform different functions.

Modems provide the connection from the internet to one computer/device and the router component manages this transfer of data between the devices or between the devices and the modem.

Typically, a request to print a file or photo wouldn't use the modem go through our servers to the internet unless you are using a cloud service such as Google cloudprint for example.

Some modems will be able to provide information on the data transfered, or if you are still uncertain there are programs out there that will allow you to monitor the usage on your computer including what programs and services access the internet.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

& 24x7 Online Chat
env
env
0 Kudos

So how will I ever know the wireless data used whether via router or internet (via dongle connected to router) without a dedicated data usage meter, for example - Data Sense.

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Env,

Shelly has explained it as best as we can. If you're still unsure/uncomfortable you do have the options of a 3rd party usage meter, or connecting the printer directly :smileyhappy:

Brodie

Telstra Bigpond Technical Support

& 24x7 Online Chat
env
env
0 Kudos

Hi Brodie,

well it's not an answer and what's the point of spending money going wireless if I must resort to hard wiring just because there's no way of knowing if network traffic via the router is not be deducted from my monthly internet plan? The wireless router was purchased from telstra (NetComm), the wireless internet usb dongle was purchased from telstra (Sierra Wireless) and both appear under Network - Connections - Wi Fi since the dongle is plugged into the router. So all wireless traffick, whether it be the router or the dongle for internet, have one usage meter so how on this earth do I know I am not being charged by telstra for my network traffic? Just because you say so?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi env,

Not just because we say so, but because that is the way that the technology works. 

We only track usage that is sent from the modem to our servers which is where our usage meter is located. Therefore if your data is being sent to your local network (via LAN cable or WiFi) and not to the internet, it will not count towards your usage. 

Telstra BigPond Technical Support

& 24x7 Online Chat