Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR
0 Kudos

Handset Software Updates 07/07/2014

Manufacturer Model OS Version Update Type Current Expected Release Status Comment
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Kit Kat 4.4.2 Bugfix only 17-Jun-14 Now deploying Approved 4 June
Sony Xperia Z1 Kit Kat 4.4.2 Bugfix only 17-Jun-14 Now deploying Approved 4 June
HTC One Max KitKat 4.4 Bugfix only 27-Jun-14 Now deploying Approved 25 June
HTC One S Jellybean 4.1 Bugfix only 9-Jul-14 Approved - waiting for deployment Approved 2 July
Sony Xperia M Jellybean 4.3 Platform update 11-Jul-14 Approved - waiting for deployment Approved 25 June
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Kit Kat 4.4.2 Platform update 14-Jul-14 Approved - waiting for deployment Approved 30 June.
Sony Xperia Z2 Kit Kat 4.4.2 Bugfix only 18-Aug-14 Scheduling Sony have advised of a 2 week delay to the submission of this update for testing
ZTE T83 Jellybean 4.1 Bugfix only 18-Aug-14 Testing New version of firmware required to resolve issue identified in testing
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G KitKat 4.4 Platform update TBC Scheduling Samsung have further delayed test submission to a date TBC. All subsequent dates now "TBC"
Samsung Galaxy S2 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Bugfix only TBC Testing Due to an issue identified in testing a new version is required
Sony Xperia Z1 KitKat 4.4.3 Platform update TBC Testing Issues identified in testing will require a new test submission to resolve.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact KitKat 4.4.3 Platform update TBC Testing Issues identified in testing will require a new test submission to resolve.
Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Occasional Contributor
GvhftrKijl
0 Kudos

Re: Handset Software Updates 07/07/2014

CraigR wrote:
SamsungGalaxy Note 2 4GKitKat 4.4Platform updateTBCSchedulingSamsung have further delayed test submission to a date TBC. All subsequent dates now "TBC"
SamsungGalaxy S2 4GGingerbread 2.3Bugfix onlyTBCTestingDue to an issue identified in testing a new version is required

I won't hold my breath for the Note 2 4G.

As for the S2 4G... wasn't that updated to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 already?!

Contributor
RDH001

Why am I not surprised to see the update for the Motorola RAZR HD is not on this list ?

With 23 days of July left and the update was "targeted" for July ?

Occasional Contributor
iajanus

Considering the international and vanilla variants of the Z1 are currently on 4.4.4, maybe Telstra should stop bothering to get the earlier versions working (considering they keep having problems and massive delays) and just jump straight to the current version the rest of us are enjoying. Obviously such a tiny company as Telstra has no way of asking Sony for the version they've supplied to everyone else worldwide, so this is a pipe dream.

Tech Bar Team
AdrianG
0 Kudos

It was updated to ICS this must be a typo

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Android Enthusiast, HTC One M8
Android 4.4.2, HTC Sense 6.0

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Visitor
bcann

I'd like to know now that there is an exploit out that allows a malicious app to make outgoing calls on most android phones prior to 4.4.4 and that telstra won't let you upgrade your phone outside of its ecosystem or you will void your warranty, if telstra plans on refunding any and all illegally made calls/sms's to premium services or anywhere else since it won't let you upgrade to a newer version of android and seems to refuse to support/upgrade handsets (such as the Galaxy S4) to the fixed versions of android?

For those interested in reading:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/07/android_dialer_vulnerabilities/

Personally i see the opportunity for a class action lawsuit to arise from such restrictive behaviour and end users copping charges that they legitimately can't stop because telstra insists upon a philosophy of forcing you to use their flavour of android, rather then being able to legally upgrade it yourself to get rid of known bugs/flaws.. Telstra can't use the excuse that it hasn't got the code seeing as plenty of other operators all around the world have android 4.4.2 at least.

To me this latest bug is akin to the locksmith going i've got the new door lock, but am too busy to install it, but trust me nobody will break into your house.

New Contributor
McBofh

Looks like it's time to unlock the bootloader on my Razr HD, root it and then flash CM11.

I don't see any point in waiting for Telstra's testing team to notify the staff doing crowdsupport.

Note to Telstra people - I won't be buying any more phones from your organisation; you'll probably keep my connection account, but that's about it.

coffeehelps
0 Kudos

What about Xperia Z (C6603)? When will 4.4.2 be released for this phone?
EMGEE_6

Think you could help me with my RAZR HD McBofh? Been wanting to flashing CM on mine, but I've never done it before and don't wanna stuff my phone, would much rather an official update, but its obvious that is never gonna happen, or that if it does, it'll be after the end of all our contracts.
Gloworm
0 Kudos

I would advise people wanting to upgrade their Note 3's to not do it, this new upgrade is severely broken, It is sucking battery power like mad, and has a problem with internet page freezeing up, so much for telstra's testing.

New Contributor
Androo

haha, what a suprise. Still no update to the Motorola RAZR HD. As i suspected, they will drag it on until the product is 2 years old and no longer supported by them to use that excuse. Open book you are. USELESS.

Please click here to see Joe-Telstra STATED that the RAZR HD should be out in July. Why lie to us? Just tell us no we won't be supporting an exclusive device on the telstra network. Maybe you all should be on the same page, instead of just lying.

Next phone won't be on a telstra plan, it will be outright. I'll be visiting Telstra shop, i want out of my contract. I've had enough with your incompetence, specially when Motorola state the update should be rolled out by Telstra.

mercury_crow

To be fair it isn't really Telstra's place to check for bugs regarding battery life etc on phones and tablets.  That is Google/Apple/Microsoft/Samsung/Motorola/HTC etc.  Telstra would mainly be concerned with whether the phones perform ok on their network.

I do criticise Telstra for their VERY slow release of updates.  I note that KitKat has been released on the Samsung Galaxy S3 in the US.

jaf886
0 Kudos

No windows phone news? I'm killing for WP8.1
Occasional Contributor
SalvationTower
0 Kudos

I'm guessing we probably wont see it until the 930 hits Telstra shelves (i have heard rumors sometime after the 14th) - i'm hanging out for the cyan Firmware update so i can get my BTLE devices working again!.
Occasional Contributor
hodgo1981
0 Kudos

...and again Motorola RAZR HD has been ignored. Motorola websit has said it will be updated to kitkat since DEC 2013, and I'm pretty sure Telstra had it on this lost in january.... the USA providers have been updating kitkat for more than a month now....Telstra won't even acknowledge the update. They won't even begin testing it.

Ive learnt my lesson. No matter how good a phone is don't expect telstra support if its not apple or Samsung.
Regular Visitor
Zakarados
0 Kudos

Are you able to advise the build number you are planning on releasing for the Sony z2?

We are currently on 17.1.A.2.55, would be interesting to see which one we are getting. (there are 3 newer builds compared to what we have)

SonyXperia Z2Kit Kat 4.4.2Bugfix only18-Aug-14SchedulingSony have advised of a 2 week delay to the submission of this update for testing
Regular Visitor
shaneb
0 Kudos

Will the Xperia Z be getting the 4.4.2 update?
JonathanC
0 Kudos

Hay what about the S4 mini.  It is currently only running 4.2.2 and I was advised by both a Samsung rep and a telstra rep that this phone is 100% compatable with the new Samsung Gear live smart watch that I have now purchased but it requires OS 4.3 or later in order to run the Android Wear app on the phone.

This update has been tested and will work on the S4 mni ( the phone will run 4.4 kitkat but lets not go crazy here and release the latest updates now ok Telstra)

Come on how long does it take.  At the moment I have a very nice $250 paperweight that I cant use.

JonathanC
0 Kudos

one more point on updates.  There has been an Android vulnerability allows hackers to make unauthorized calls identified in  versions 4.1.x, 4.2.x and 4.3 of the Android os.  If Telstra will not release the update to prevent this can we then claim back on our bills for the calls made posable bu this vulnerability?

See this article for more info:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2451220/android-bug-lets-apps-make-rogue-phone-calls.html?utm_content...

Occasional Contributor
bgodsall
0 Kudos

Updates to the phones are NOT Telstra's responsibility.

Samsung are responsible for any and all updates to your phone.    Telstra can't do anything if Samsung are slow (as always).

_christopher88
0 Kudos

Why would Nokia have sent Vodafone Au the Windows Phone 8.1 update but not Telstra?
coffeehelps

Hey shaneb, it's not likely any time soon, IMHO. Do so at your own risk, but I flashed 4.4.2 last week, and haven't noticed much. If anything, slightly faster, but too soon to say about any battery improvements. I just got tired of the Z being 'bottom of the pile'. With the Z3 expected at the end of the year, the Z is quite unlikely to be further updated by Telstra, and they're not likely to admit as much. I got the feeling that when T released 4.3, it was done with an air of, "there, we updated it, you better be happy now." Whereupon they moved on to newer phones.

tl;dr: not any time soon, mate.
Occasional Contributor
iamnila

Dear Telstra - ANY PLANS TO GIVE US ANY UPDATE ON WHEN WE CAN EXPECT A NEW VERSION FOR THE SONY XPERIA Z - The rest of the world has had it for ages now and you are just TOTALLY IGNORING US!!!!

Absolutely AWFUL support!!! Sony has 4.4.2 released for the Sony Xperia Z in Australia yet you dont even mention any information about future plans or release dates for it here. 

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL SERVICE!!!

jason93phillips
0 Kudos

It would be nice if telstra actually held off giving customers set dates on the device updates. Instead, they are doing nothing but inform us of constant date changes and set backs.
Hurry up and release kitkat for the note 2 already.

inb4 they tell us it'll be released early august. and when that time comes around it'll get pushed back again till september
DingoDan
0 Kudos

Hey jason93phillips,

Welcome to Crowd Support :smileyhappy:

I am sorry that there have been delays with this software upgrade and hope that we don't have any further delays with having this completed by August with no further delays!

Dingo
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team
Please send Kudo's to replies you think are worthy :smileytongue:

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
New Contributor
Tempo58
0 Kudos

Can someone update this list as Nokia?microsoft are reporting that Telstra have the WP 8.1 release in testing.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/wp8-availability-in-asia-pac...

This link displays the WP 8.1 update and Lumia Cyan availability for the Asia Pacific region

Established Member
lholling
0 Kudos

Hi Jason93phillips

I have the same phone but it really is not Telstra's fault. They have to wait until Samsung gives them the code to test. There appears to be only three carriers in the world that have the 7105T, Telstra, Vodafone Australia and one in Brazil (claro). The Brazil onwers only got Android 4.3 80 odd days ago where at least ours was nearly 170 days ago.

Based on this our model of phone has one of the smallest marketshares and is often left till last.

If you look on the Vodafone updates Blog they are in the same boat with no eta.

If you are desperate for 4.4.2 then the only option would be to get a 7105 version and flash it but then you really are on your own...

Rustynote2
0 Kudos

With all the bugs the Note 3 has, I dont think I want Kit Kat for my Note 2 yet.

Rick

Occasional Visitor
Yonz
0 Kudos

Anyone from Telstra able to confirm Windows 8.1 is in testing like Nokia says?

New Contributor
SimmyMelb

[ Edited ]

Am I missing something?

I thought the update to Kit Kat for the Galaxy S4 was due in the first quarter of this year, or at least the first half?

Now it doesn't even make the list for updates.

If I have missed seeing it, please someone tell me.

When does the S4 get Kit Kat?

ShannonD

Hi SimmyMelb,

All our current information on device updates get uploaded in the device update thread

When we have more information to advise, we'll upload it there

You can find more information & discussion here http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Telstra-update-the-Galaxy-S4-to-4-4-2/td-p/2675...

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Established Member
echidna3
0 Kudos

STILL waiting for the Xperia Z1 update to be "deployed". I have tried to update on both my phone and my computer. You'd think the update was being posted by mail!!!
New Contributor
GlennC
0 Kudos

Nexus 5 ,4.4.4r2 KitKat software update. When is Telstra  release date, and what is the difference from google's 4.4.4 and this Telstra version.

This update is not listed on only advise

Regards

Glenn C 

New Contributor
BaronJ
0 Kudos

Can someone from Telstra please provide an update on the KitKat upgrade for the Motorola Razr HD (XT925)?

Is Telstra still testing the software, or has it not received it yet?

Darren1971
0 Kudos

I have a Nokia 1320 and would like to know if there is a date yet for the release of Windows 8.1 for the phone

Darren1971
0 Kudos

I have a Nokia 1320 with Windows 8 and would like to know the expected release date for Windows 8.1 for this phone

Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

I thought by this stage we might have a new updates update?

Can any further light be shed on expected, testing schedule, release schedule for Windows Phone8.1?
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930

Telstra Hero
Contributor
Keif

Occasional Contributor
Helix192

I tweeted Telstra whether they have 8.1 and Cyan yet and they said "not as yet".
So how does Australia biggest provider not have the update, yet Vodafone is by the looks of our already rolling it out?
I have my Lumia 930 with it already, but my dad is getting impatient, he wants the new 8.1 stuff I've been showing off, haha
Gamer/ tech geek. -Lumia 930-
Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

Yeah. Support seems not to know, or be able to say at this point. Vodafone Lumia 925 has started to receive already.

Pretty poor showing off keeping customers informed.
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930

Telstra Hero
mixtrak
0 Kudos

Yeah I'm really excited for the update so having neither a timely release nor information is pretty unpleasant. Telstra just keep doing this! Their level of support for Windows phones seems pretty poor. That and their exorbitant data rates make me seriously consider switching to the competition and just keeping a pre-paid SIM for when I'm on fieldwork.

Occasional Contributor
djseancee
0 Kudos

I have seen the posts from Microsoft related sites that the 8.1 update is being tested and soon it will be RTM.  Dont forget ALL MS related phones like Nokia Lumia series (including the 520) will all be released the same day worldwide.  Maybe the same week as the iPhone / ipad updates to iOS8.

I cant wait for this to happen!

Sean Campbell
Telstra Customer, Radio Broadcaster, YouTube Creator, and host of Sean's Tech Talk.
Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

The update has already been officially announced via Nokia, Microsoft Sean, and as far as RTM goes, there are already three Lumias on the market that came with WP8.1 and the Cyan firmware pre installed.

#WinPhan

Telstra Hero
jaf886

I got WP8.1 yesterday on my country variant 925, so it shouldn't be too long for you guys.

New Contributor
Tempo58
0 Kudos

Me too.  Just checked after your post, and lo and behold, phone is updating now.  Also Lumia 925 Country variant.

Occasional Contributor
djseancee
0 Kudos

Then my question is when will the Lumia 520 be updated? Now I am frustrated! Lol
Sean Campbell
Telstra Customer, Radio Broadcaster, YouTube Creator, and host of Sean's Tech Talk.
Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

seeing reports that lumia 925, telstra is getting cyan, wp8.1. assume that is not phones with developer preview

#WinPhan

Telstra Hero
New Contributor
Tempo58
0 Kudos

Upgrade has gone smoothly, but Telstra 24/7 app no longer works. Have uninstalled and re-installed but to no avail.