Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR
0 Kudos

Handset Software Updates 16/05/2014

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Please see below for the latest Telstra device updates.

Model

OS Version

Update Type

Current Release

Status

Comment

Sony

Xperia Z1 Compact

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

17-Jun-14

Approved

Test submission expected 16 May

Sony

Xperia Z1

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

17-Jun-14

Scheduling

HTC

One

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

6-Jun-14

Scheduling

Blackberry

Q10

Blackberry OS 10.2.1

Platform update

30-May-14

Testing

Software received and in test. Deployment date may be earlier than 30 May

Blackberry

Z30

Blackberry OS 10.2.1

Platform update

30-May-14

Testing

Blackberry

Z10

Blackberry OS 10.2.1

Platform update

30-May-14

Testing

HTC

One XL

Jellybean 4.2

Bugfix only

22-May-14

Testing

Update received and in test.

Samsung

Galaxy S3 4G

Jellybean 4.3

Bugfix only

19-May-14

Approved - waiting for deployment

Approved 12 May

HTC

One M8

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

16-May-14

Update approved 14 May. FOTA deployment to begin 16 May at the latest.

Samsung

Galaxy S5

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

16-May-14

Approved 14 May.

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Contributor
RDH001
0 Kudos

Re: Handset Software Updates 16/05/2014

Motorola Razr HD ?

Come on Telstra give us something ! The 4.4 update is being rolled out elsewhere !

Occasional Visitor
awesome

When will Samsung Galaxy Note 2 be upgraded to KitKat?

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

Guess the Galaxy S4 Cat4 has been swept under the carpet and Telstra hopes everyone has forgotten about it? I was hopeful when Craig created the thread to deal with the S4 Cat4 issue but then abandoning it was dissappointing. I'm still extremely happy with my S4 Cat4 on 4.2.2 but just disappointed this issue was handled so poorly but not surprised. 

Contributor
matttm

Sony

Xperia Z1

KitKat 4.4

Bugfix only

17-Jun-14

Scheduling

17 June! You have got to be joking. This was a critical update made public globally on the 10th April. Over two months for Telstra to provide the fix? That is either total incompetence or extreme arrogance and contempt for users.

Contributor
Mickb83
0 Kudos

@matttm, do you know when Sony Australia provided the update to Telstra? Was it released to them on 10th April?

Just because an update is rolled out in other countries doesn't mean we get it the same time here in Australia. This has been proven time and time again with updates. Yes, I get that it's a critical update, but how about checking whether Australia did receive the update at the same time.

Think about it, Sony aren't even releasing the Z2 en masse in the US, what makes you think they'd release an update to all countries at the same time?
Established Member
Hulksteraus1
0 Kudos

Matt, I have a feeling that the update is actually going to be 14.3.A.0.761 rather than 757 - it is the one that Sony has just completed testing themselves and fixes a couple of things from 757. But yeah, Tesltras communication leaves a lot to be desired.

A suggestion to Craigr, please include the Actual firmware version in your updates. This would go some way towards appeasing your user base. Lack of communication is one of the largest drivers of customer dissatisfaction.
Established Member
ysuzu
0 Kudos

Hulksteraus1, I think the scheduled Z1c update actually is 757 based on the explanation given in the previous update schedule thread. .

And I agree with your suggestion. Indicating actual firmware version instead of Android version is a quick win Telstra can gain among many other things they have to improve.

Contributor
matttm
0 Kudos

Well, within 4-6 days of 10 April the majority of carriers worldwide had made available the update. Look at Vodafone and Optus in Australia for example.

Sad cold fact is, Telstra has a our money and no longer care until our contracts are up again. This is why I originally left them in the late 90's.

M

Lewk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is there any information regarding when both the Lumia 520 and Lumia 920 will receive the Windows Phone 8.1 Update with Nokia Cyan Firmware?

Thanks,

Luke.

Established Member
Hulksteraus1
0 Kudos

Hi Ysuzu,

From my reading, it was the update after. 757, have a read again...

http://goo.gl/3M7afL
Established Member
ysuzu
0 Kudos

Hi Hulksteraus1,

Maybe it's just me but the italicised "were" led me to this interpretation:

Sony was proposing an update that is later-than-757 but they aren't anymore because there has been a Google delay with that update (which means patient Telstra Z1c owners will end up receiving 757 two months after it was rolled out by other carriers).

I wish yours is the correct interpretation coz any update after 757 is obviously better for all of us.

Cheers,

Regular Visitor
quantum99
0 Kudos

According to Belarc Security Advisor, Jellybean has serious security issues:

Security vulnerabilities were detected on this device.

Samsung Gt-i9505 (Samsung)
Android 4.3 Build JSS15J.I9505XXUEND1
English/Australia (en_AU)

Security Advisor v1.0.22
Last scan: 17/05/2014 9:07:37 AM
Vulnerable software: 1
Total Vulnerabilities: 2

Vulnerable Software

Android OS / version 4.3 / com.google.android
Vulnerabilities: 2
Severity: 2 High

1) Severity 8.8, CVE-2013-6271

Android 4.0 through 4.3 allows attackers to bypass intended access restrictions and remove device locks via a crafted application that invokes the updateUnlockMethodAndFinish method in the com.android.settings.ChooseLockGeneric class with the PASSWORD_QUALITY_UNSPECIFIED option.

2) Severity 7.5, CVE-2014-1939

java/android/webkit/BrowserFrame.java in Android before 4.4 uses the addJavascriptInterface API in conjunction with creating an object of the SearchBoxImpl class, which allows attackers to execute arbitrary Java code by leveraging access to the searchBoxJavaBridge_ interface at certain Android API levels.

Belarc Apps at Google Play

Occasional Contributor
Maxama123
0 Kudos

When will Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Default JellyBean 4.3) on the Telstra 4G network be updated to KitKat 4.4???

It's a Great Phone but could be a greater phone with KitKat 4.4:smileymad:

New Contributor
BaronJ

Still no news on the XT925 update. Poor form Telstra.

Given the comments about the Z1c and others, it appears that Telstra significantly delays updates, but never gives any reason why they are delayed. Is it because the department that handles the testing is underfunded, or is it just because customer satisfaction is not a big enough incentive for you?

Occasional Visitor
joeyjnr
0 Kudos

Any news on a Windows Phone 8.1?  It been out in the wild for while now. Not really surprised that it aint on the list. Just a little disappointed...

Anthonyk
0 Kudos

why is that some people got the kit kat op system an some didnt. Could anyone please share some light. for the sony xperia Z1.

Thanks 

Angela_Telstra
0 Kudos

Regarding the above list of release dates, this is all we know at this stage, I'm sorry I have nothing further I can share with you.

As soon as information is available to us about a release date we will share it via CrowdSupport. 

Angela
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bij
Bij
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

joeyjnr wrote:

Any news on a Windows Phone 8.1?  It been out in the wild for while now. Not really surprised that it aint on the list. Just a little disappointed...

AFIK the developers edition has been available, Blue will be avaiilable around June

jamie445
0 Kudos

The 4.4 update is being rolled out elsewhere !

As it was only rolled out the other week, I would give Telstra the benefit of the doubt here (and assume we will hear about it in the next post).  However their failure to provide recent security updates is very troubling.  

Telstra - why do we not have our SECURITY updates?  

Occasional Contributor
iajanus
0 Kudos

Considering they don't seem to care about people being able to use their phones at all, why would you think they'd be any different for security updates?

AndrewSumm
0 Kudos

Any idea when the Samsung Galaxy S3 4.3 version will be fixed?

ever since the update a couple weeks ago my phone is experiencing all sorts of issues with bluetooth dropping out and not staying connected to my hands free

my wifi which was fine before the update now always comes up as connection unstable

the phones battery now doesnt even last a day

is there going to be an update to this OS?  if not how do i roll back to previous version as my phone is almost next to useless

thanks

Andrew

Esther
0 Kudos

Hi AndrewSumm,

Thanks for your post,  this bug fix was deployed on May 19th and it will go out in stages to Telstra Samsung S3 handsets so if you haven't received it as yet, it should be on it's way soon

Thanks

Esther

Occasional Contributor
CLoSeR
0 Kudos

Got my bugfix update for S3 Galaxy 4G, installed and running without issue thanks.
Established Member
ADAMa13
0 Kudos

WIFI will not turn on after updating from Android 4.2 to 4.3 and the phone randomly restarts now,anyone else have these problems?if so what should i do,

cheers Adam

JesseS
0 Kudos

ADAMa13, it sounds like there is an issue here. Recommend taking the phone into a Telstra Store for assessment. Alternatively, to speak with someone tonight, contact our mobile assurance team on 132200.

- Jesse

Jesse

Established Member
ADAMa13
0 Kudos

its getting frustrating as i took the phone into a Telstra Shop today Forest Hill Chase 3131 and was told its a Samsung issue,i tried calling Samsung support this evening and was put on hold for 25mins,i'm 6 months into a 24month contract and paying for a faulty phone through no fault of mine,Samsung released the update but Telstra made it available to its customers through their network,so who is to blame here?????,its not me

JesseS
0 Kudos

A Telstra store can arrange a repair through our Repair Centre under your warranty. I would recommend heading back to the store to organise this.

Jesse

New Contributor
Rambutan
0 Kudos

This is getting better and better. Ah I thought, there is an update to fix the 4.3 bugs I now have on my S3 4G, silly me! \

So I tired to download the update over the air only to be greeted by the message that this couldn't be done because the download limit had been exceeded with a suggetion to use Kies.

I then tried to download the uodate via Kies 3 only for the program to freeze. I tried to do this again with the same frustrating result, and again on another computer and again the same useless result.

I suppose the next suggestion will be to go to my friendly local Telstra shop, where no doubt nobody will be able to fix my bloody annoying problems on my flash S3 G4 which I am still paying for on my two year plan, and I suppose they may even offer to send it away for service by Samsung, and then what?

I appreciate this is looking more like a Samsung problem rather than a Telstra problem, but the bottom line is that I have a (expensive) phone that has issues it should not have and it seems to have become almost impossible to have this addressed.

Well that's business today I guess, we sold you the phone on a lucrative plan so what more do you want?

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Rambutan..I do not recommend Kies for updates.. If you have exceeded download limit, then simply use WiFi somewhere..
Occasional Visitor
hillzoid
0 Kudos

I have exactly the same problem as Rambutan and I believe that he has not exceeded his download limit, instead he is referring to a message we get when checking OTA to see if the bug fix is available.

The message comes from the OTA server (I assume) when checking for updates and says "The software update service is not available. Maximum number of roll-out updates has been exceeded. Try later or update your device using Samsung Kies (www.samsung.com/kies)".

Any of the Telstra reps on here got a suggestion for how to get around this issue?

Kies (have to use Kies3 because our phones are already at 4.3) just hangs when trying to do the update and yes I've tried everything about running it as administrator, setting compatibility-mode, doing both of those things for all the Kies executables, etc etc.

I've tried it on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs but Kies just won't do the update.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

I still don't recommend Kies. If it becomes available eventually, use the WiFi ota method.. Safer..
New Contributor
Rambutan
0 Kudos

I did visit my local Telstra shop today. They were very nice, tried to download the update for my S3G4 only to see the same message I got as described above. I was told by the Telstra person that he couldn't understand it either and that there was nothing he could do for me saying I would just have to wait for the update to happen eventually.

Not really acceptable for Australia's number one mobile phone provider and the world's leading phone manufacturer.  I can use the phone, the bluetooth problem I had before was actually fixed by the 4.3 update, but my wifi is now all but useless.  I know it can only be the 4.3 update for S3G4 because the wifi was perfectly working before the update and all my other equipment including a Galaxy Ace phone, a Galaxy Tab 7, Telstra Hub and my Dell notbook still work perfectly on my wifi.

It would really be nice if somebody at either Telstra or Samsung actually cared what happens to their product which I am actually paying a lot of money for.

Established Member
ADAMa13
0 Kudos

My S4 was sent off to be repaired as the Tech guy could not fix the WIFI issue,he tried to flash 4.2 back on it and failed,he had no answers,then i was told i would have to pay for the repair if it was discovered the phone had been damaged,water,heat ect

what if Samsung decide that yes the phone was damaged,its their word against mine,basically why rollout an update if its bugged,if it was Microsoft the problem would of been fixed within 24hours

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/26/exclusive-android-4-4-3-being-tested-on-galaxy-s5-and-galaxy-s4-...
Android 4.4.3 being tested on Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S4 LTE-A, 4.4.2 ...undergoing final testing and should get the Android 4.4.2 update sometime in June. Like the Galaxy S4 LTE-A, some of these devices might skip directly to Android 4.4.3 as well,
Occasional Contributor
Elegy
0 Kudos

KitEKat wrote:
I still don't recommend Kies. If it becomes available eventually, use the WiFi ota method.. Safer..

Connecting a Samsung phone (running 4.3) to Kies Ver 2 results in a mandatory update to Kies Ver 3. Unfortunately most of the functionality in Kies Ver 2 (inluding a firmware upgrade) seems to have been left out of Kies Ver 3. Kies has always been a bit ordinary and  Ver 3 is next to useless.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

It seems s4 will skip 4.4.2 and go straight to 4.4.3. It may even contain the s5 touchwiz
New Contributor
Rambutan
0 Kudos

Today I finally managed to download the update for my S3 4G that is meant to fix bugs in the previous 4.3 update. Guess what, I still have the wifi problem and the battery still won't last the distance.

For those who think their wifi is working properly you might just want to check to top bar on your home screen. In my case it still show 3G when I am supposed to be on wifi. This offers potential for a rude shock next time you get your bill if this causes you to exceed your download allowance.

May this is why Telstra is not concerned.

koolek
0 Kudos

Sony released bugfix for experienced z1 on 10th of April, all other providers have released it Telstra trailing behind by over a month. I know who won't be getting my business at contract renewal
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

So it seems S3 is finally getting attention.US Cellular Galaxy S III Gets KitKat OTA Software Update (R530UVXCND4) The Gt19506Gt19506 S4 seems to be a bit behind for reasons unknown.
om79
0 Kudos

Any eta on an Android 4.4.2 update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005?  I am using Telstra pre-paid and purchased the phone from Bing Lee unlocked.  Thank You.

AndrewSumm
0 Kudos

any idea when the release will occour in Adelaide?

i still havnt got it and the phone is next to useless still,

bluetooth cutting out, wifi cutting out, battery life is woefull and now music jitters form time to time and has issues.

A_Geek
0 Kudos

ADAMa13 wrote:
if it was Microsoft the problem would of been fixed within 24hours

You are joking right? There have been vulnerabilities that Microsoft have taken over two years to patch. And don't forget that they only issue patches once a month, unless the vulnerability is horrendously exploited.

dean1dj
0 Kudos

I have the same problem as Adama13. Got the initial update to 4.3 on my galaxy S3 and went from 20 hours of battery life a day to 6. The Wi-Fi gets messages saying it's unstable and the blue tooth just drops out. I read all over the internet that these were the problems with 4.3 so waited for the update. Got the update and nothing had changed. The phone was fantastic before the update. I contacted Samsung and they told me to pull the battery, reset the phone andI uninstalled maps which seemed to give me an extra couple of hours battery life but this is crazy. The phone is only a year old. Will the 4.4 update be coming soon to fix all of this?
Established Member
gallop
0 Kudos

Hey where ios the windows  phone 8.1 update Telstra?

Angela_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi gallop,

We have no information to share regarding this at this stage. Keep an eye out here and we'll let you know as soon as we do

Angela

Angela

New Contributor
maverickjohn
0 Kudos

I actually think its not telstras fault with all yourupdates now.. my HTC One has had two versions of Kit kat with the latest sense 6 update where samsung devices have had no support.  My feeling is that the OEMs are actually getting pretty crappy. Where companies like HTC have invested everything they have to maintain customer satisfaction for their flagship devices from the HTC One onwards.

Samsung in their s2 era were reliable with updates but have now become complacent and cocky and are now one of the companies worth avoiding for service and reliability.

Sony are still not bad with service and updates. giving their phones the kit kat update but id probably rank them 3rd after HTC (1st) Lg (2nd) right now. 

Occasional Visitor
metalhead2302
0 Kudos

Sony Australia have released 4.4 for Xperia z and there is no mention of it from telstra
ryangus
0 Kudos

So, still waiting for the Xperia Z 4.4 upgrade.  Why is this taking so long?

Mehsaurus
0 Kudos

Trust me, as soon as I found out about 4.4 I've been jumping for joy, but this is plain undignified. Sony Released it a month and 5 days ago. You'd think there would be updates for the Z by now?