Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

MarkTurnerImage
0 Kudos

Re: Handset Software Updates - 4/12/2013

Yes mate, it was a GT-N7105T. It shows as a 7105 now without the end T.

I used ODIN and an international from thing.

Works well. I also like that when you have the watch on, and you normally have a lock code, you don't need to enter the code. Plus heaps of little advancements.

Established Member
Smythbuilt
0 Kudos

Don't blame Telstra for slow Samsung updates. The culprit is Samsung itself for allowing carrier branding to occur on their products. Once you do that, every carrier in the world submits their custom boot logos and list of crapware and garbage, and Samsung ends up having to produce hundreds of build variants for every release, which all need developer resources to create and test resources to test, before the carriers even get their hands on it.

Samsung needs to do an Apple here and tell the carriers that they can't have any customisations. In the past they had little choice, but now Samsung products are highly successful the carriers would just have to suck it up like they do for Apple products.

Freed of the task of building so many carrier variants, Samsung could then produce updates in a much more timely manner.

Regarding the S3 4.1.2 update, I'm sure that this was simple a better fix for the sudden death syndrome bug that kills the eMMC chip. The original fix went in to an infinite loop that froze the device instead of corrupting the eMMC. Later builds had more graceful fixes, and chance are the latest S3 update simply implements this better fix. 

From XDA forums:

"Fix v1

Please note, you may experience freezes and /or reboots using a Fix v1 ROM (Well actually kernel that is included in this ROM). Essentially any Stock 4.1.2 ROM between: 

LKC and MA2
Which means:
2012 November revision 12 and 2013 January Revision 2

...may experience freezes due to the way the fix works. This is annoying but better a freeze than a motherboard replacement.

Fix v2

From what appears to be Update 8 sources (MB1 onwards), the fix seems to be much better with far fewer freezes"

I don't think this update has anything to do with preparing for future releases, but simply a better fix for the SDS issues.

Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

If you browse through the threads I think you will find the most common complaint here is that Telstra are not providing any updates on status to us. Last update was a month ago with an eta of 23rd Dec. This date has well past and despite constant requests in this thread no update has been posted as to how much longer we can expect to wait.
New Contributor
Greg18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

its actually Samsung at fault here, not Telstra, so Blame them. but As far as as getting updates, your probably better off to Visit the Samsung site to get those, same with HTC or any other branded phone

Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

I think you have really mis-understood.. Firstly at this stage without Telstra updating this page we don't know if this is still a Samsung delay or Telstra.

The latest advise on this page shows Telstra were due to receive the firmware on Dec 6 and be ready for release on 23rd Dec.

So if you take this status as gospel that tells you that Telstra got the firmware as expected but have missed the 23rd dec eta so therefore their fault.

But we all know that Samsung are most likely to blame but the official page from Telstra to give us a clear answer is very lacking. No updates since Dec 4th even when the eta has slipped by now nearly 2 weeks and constant pressure from us users to get a status update has gone un-noticed. From Telstras end this unacceptable. We deserve a right to know a status update especially when Telstra themselves admitted to being slack with giving updates on this page and then agreeing to be more open with their communication. In summary at this point, I dont care who is at fault for letting the note 2 firmware slip and most people are the same and our issue is not at pointing fingers but just for us to get a status update from Telstra what the new ETA is. Is that too much to ask?

Giving its still holiday season one cannot reasonably expect an update this week but most businesses and people return to work Jan 6. I expect nothing less than an update by this date and that is more than 1 month since the last one. If I do not see an update on Jan 6 I am going to keep posting in this thread until we see an update.
Occasional Contributor
kroonys3
0 Kudos

Talk about first world problems!
Occasional Contributor
hero455
0 Kudos

who knows mate , i wish   telstra update  team would have the decency to  post an estiamted  time of delvery for the 4.3 xperia z update .... they seem to pay more attention to there newer phones  and  samsung and iphone  owners  sigh 

Occasional Visitor
han0001
0 Kudos

i have been following the thread and we have all heard some new of the galaxy s3 getting an update soon however what out the s3 4g version samsung has already announced a 4.3 jellybean update for nearly all the providers however when will telstra be releasing the update. and please dont revolve around the issue we need answers of whether we get an update or not and possibly when we recieve it. thank you
Visitor
Technogeek
0 Kudos

We should not be held to ransom waiting forever for a telstra software update. and given a choice to install update from samsung as soon as it is released instead of waiting months for telstra to get their finger out and release it

. Not everyone gives a crap about Telstra bloatware. no wonder people install custom roms

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I know that everyone is keen for the news on some recent software updates that have not been released when we expected. Regrettably, at this stage we do not have any new information to share.

Our main point of contact for this information, Craig himself, is currently on leave. We are looking at other avenues to get an update on this information for you.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Occasional Contributor
David_0011
0 Kudos

so that is to say that there is not even any succession planning? or anybody to fill in for him when he is away? this is getting beyond a joke, the level of disaray in the department stinks of a high school group project when there is only one person who knows what is going on and is the only one doing the work. I work in a sales environment, where if the manager is away, the assistant manager steps up, and iff the assistant manager is away, the duty manager steps up, and so on. Shouldn't Telstra have a similar set-up? We have now waited more than a month for an officail update, and have been given barely any infor in between. Wehn can we expect to be informed properly, on a week by week basis? I'm pretty sure we all pay enough for the "premium" service you (don't) provide to us, and should be able to expect to be at the forefront in Australia. but even no reception Vodaphone has jumped ahead of you in this department.

Please, pull the finger(s) out and provide the info promised in the sticky's at the top of the forum

Occasional Visitor
christophlr
0 Kudos

You baby.
New Contributor
needz1updatetod
0 Kudos

Went to update my Sony Xperia Z1 today to 4.3 should have known there would have been no update or point trying.

Telstra would have known that Craig would be on leave and if he is the only one doing these updates that this would affect the rollout date, yet this wasn't communicated to customers waiting... It is bad enough that Sony take their time with releases but then to have the carrier delay?

I have heard that Vodaphone and Optus customers have had this update to 4.3 for a while now.

Can the customers please have a date?

Contributor
icanfly77

Awesome Tel$tra. Good work. Clearly you do not consider this information page that important to let it dwindle like this and not put on a replacement for Craig in his absence.

This is further made clear by the lack to answer our requests to get updates on past due firmware rollouts. At this stage for me nothing you say can provide me any relief giving us excuses for why there are no status updates. You are best to keep ignoring us and just get Craig R to give us the update when he is back, Don't bother telling us any more we are sorry we have no new information etc best to stop making yourself look any more incompetent than you have already
Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

@needz1updatetod I feel your pain but for you at least it is only early morning on the day of the update. You should at least be waiting until after close of business before you start getting upset about there being no firmware. And after all it is only 8:30 in Japan now so give it some time.

Hate to put a damper on you but I have to say right now we with the Note 2 had an eta of 23rd Dec and its now two weeks later with still no update coming through on our phone hopefully you wont have to wait that long because ours could be delayed due to Samsung but just keep that in mind while waiting for your update
New Contributor
mackantos1

So basically what you mean is the whole Telstra depends on a SINGLE person for this updates? So with the thousands of employees you have, not even a single one can make an update? You rip us for the service you provide and say you are the network without compromise? If you cannot hire one more person with acess similar to craig then why do you charge us a lot? It makes no sense. If you charge us a lot, we expect to get almost perfect results from your side too. Whats the use of paying more if this is the kind of service we get from you? And the funny thing is not one of have said whether the updates are delayed or are on schedule. What is stopping you from making that simple update? Does it simply means that apart from craig no one else have knowledge about the updates? This is something really unexpected from you Telstra. You really need to make it up for it.
bungeeecork
0 Kudos

Hi DanK,

Please also update the GDR3 dates for the Nokia 1020 when you can. 

I know most people here are keen for the Android update, but some of us are hanging out for GDR3 for Windows Phone.  It's been available to AT&T customers in the US since December 19.

Thanks.

Contributor
icanfly77

hey all, I think the best thing for us to do is stop complaining in this thread as our complaints are going un-noticed and to start lodging official complaints back to telstra. If we all submit an official complain, more chance for them to do something about us with higher numbers

I am going to submit one now at https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Please all follow suit. The more the better
Community Manager
Yannick

I would like to apologise for the lack of an official responses from myself during the Christmas/ New Years break and I am in the process of following up on an update on the following device updates:

• HTC 8X
  • HTC 8S
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G
  • Nokia Lumia 1020
  • Nokia Lumia 925

I understand there has been an unexpected delay in the deployment of the Samsung Galaxy S3 update and we have been overly optimistic in quoting the 23rd of December as a deployment date and we will ensure future updates are followed up if we experience unexpected delays.

To understand what Telstra does during the testing and deployment process I would also suggest that you read the community, Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology post.

Whilst the most recent experience was far from ideal I will be reviewing the current process so as to minimise the risk of this happening again. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

Purchase Telstra iPhone 6 and 6 Plus direct links:  http://tel.st/iphone6
You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

New Contributor
Geech
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Yannick.

Do you have any information on the Xperia Z status? A few others seem to have been asking, but I've not seen any response or information except for the Z1.

Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

Thanks Yannick

I hope the process is seriously looked at, as you guys already told us before you were going to ensure communications were improved and you then provided the first fortnightly update you've provided in a while, November 21 - Dec 4

But at the very first sign of showing improvement it all went backwards again with the gap of updates between Dec 4 and now.. I hope next time communication updates can be improved permanently

Any eta when you can post any new information about the Note 2 4.3? Hopefully within the next day or two..

That really should be the first one your list to post an update on. It's the first one despite the others in your list above also show eta of dec 23, They all have notes indicating a mid Jan release.

Thanks
Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Geech: I will add the Sony Xperia Z to the list and try my best to get some sort of update out asap.

EDIT: Sony Xperia Z not Z1

@icanfly77: I will add the Note 2 to the list and try my best to get this information out asap. We are definately reviewing the process and hope to make some changes to the post over the next few weeks. As I am accountable for the Crowdsupport community I would like to again apologise the recent poor experience. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:

New Contributor
Geech

Yannick wrote:

@Geech: I will add the Sony Xperia Z1 to the list and try my best to get some sort of update out asap.

Thanks again for the response Yannick. However as I mentioned it's the Xperia Z (not the Z1) I'm chasing an update for as it seems to have dropped off the update lists. I would appreciate if you can update on anything you can uncover about this phone!

Occasional Visitor
PUTTY05

what about the samsung s4 update so i can use the galaxy gear watch i bought from telstra that they told me that there would be an up date in 2 week at the end of november
Established Member
tahsinAhmed
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if Telstra will release Android V4.3 for the sony xperia Z C6603 ?Any information on 4.3 update for Xperia Z C6603 telstra in Australia
Falcon15
0 Kudos

S4 update should now be on Kies guys, sammobile.com has posted that it is available. :smileyhappy:
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Falconn15,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

Thanks for the update, anyone else who have S4, have been able to update via Kies? Thank you.

-Joe:smileyhappy:

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

Occasional Contributor
Neofelis
0 Kudos

In an ideal world it SHOULD work that way but it doesn't. Here is why.

Samsung Australian region code is XSA. Telstra Samsung region code is TEL.
so the S4 update is available for Samsung stock devices not Telstra branded devices.

Ditch Telstra and flash to region XSA using Odin.

Keep in mind though the 4.3 update contains KNOX you won't be able to root your device if you update without voiding warranty. I recommend rooting your device first and stripping telstraone and bloat ware then updating to 4.3
Established Member
jamesfisk
0 Kudos

Any word on the note 2 update yet?

Where is it held up, what sort of eta are we looking at?

cheers

Falcon15
0 Kudos

Thanks Joe I look forward to trying to help everybody out.
Hi Neofelis I'm just going off samkiesupdates twitter as I can't access my computer to check kies, but it looks to me that the TEL update is available according to this tweet:
@SamKiesUpdates: Australia (Telstra) GALAXY S4(GT-I9505) update I9505XXUEMK9/I9505TELEMK1 http://t.co/k9oHs5jAHN
Carter89
0 Kudos

S4 update is live and ready to download via kies 4.3
Established Member
Coolbreeze
0 Kudos

A 4.3 update for the CAT 4 LTE Galaxy S4 model GT-I9506 is not yet available. Still running 4.2.2 (I9506XXUAMI4).

Can you please advise on your release schedule for this hardware? I am specifically needing the Samsung KNOX / SE for Android functionallity that is only supported on 4.3, until then this phone is basically a paperweight as I cannot use it.

Thanks

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Victor_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Coolbreeze,

Seeding for android 4.3 started yesterday. The release may be staggered but i was able to upgrade my personal handset to 4.3 without a hitch.

-Victor
Wireless Data and Mobile Voice Customer Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
& 24x7 Online Chat
Established Member
SavMatt
0 Kudos

Yannic, could you please add S3 4G to the list also
airhitam
0 Kudos

Hi, 

Any update of the status of Sony Xperia Z1? The expected customer availability date is yesterday (6/1/2014).

I heard Optus and Vodafone customer has been receive the 4.3 update before Christmas. 

Regards

Kian

JesseS
0 Kudos

Hi airhitam,

At this stage, we have not heard anything as there has not been a new handset update posted. 

This may have been released yesterday planned but is simply a progressive roll-out OTA. You can attempt to connect to Sony's PC Companion to see if the software is available now. 

Jesse
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

Established Member
jamesfisk
0 Kudos

Can we please get an update on the Note 2 4g's update?

It is getting beyond a joke at this stage, the lack of meaningful information from telstra

cheers.

gss
Occasional Visitor
gss
0 Kudos

Tnx Yannick. So what's the answers since your post of 24hrs ago?? I've got a unusable Galaxy Gear here waiting for the Galaxy Note2 GT-N7105T update. Updated my sister-inlaw's GT-N7100 to 4.3 via Kies on my laptop last week but that was in the Philippines where I bought that phone. Probably should've bought mine there also....
gideonmarcus
0 Kudos

Hi CraigR,

Can you let me know when the 4.3 update will come for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Thanks,

Occasional Contributor
Lilmeh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It would be good if you guys can provide the same information everywhere-
https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=631687650200629&id=293895497313181

Now, is the 16th a real date for Xperia or another one of those probably won't happen? :smileysad:
Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Any update on the note 2 yet please?

You must have been able to find out by now if it was received from Samsung or not? Can we at least know this information firstly then you can update us later when it goes to first round testing etc

Keep refreshing every hour hoping to see some new info but still the current 4th Dec update.. Perhaps you could edit this page and change 23rd Dec to TBA or something.. Looks bad still when the most up to date info has an ETA of over 2 weeks ago

@Yannick 

@CraigR 

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

@icanfly77  I have updated the original post from Craig as per your suggestion.

I have not yet recieved an update from the devices team but have added to Sony Xperia Z & Samsung Note 2 to the list of devices we need to comeback to the community on.

You can also find us on:

New Contributor
mackantos1
0 Kudos

Can smeone confirm as to by when we will receive the updates for Xperia Z1? Is Craig back from holiday yet? This is now how you should start new year with, you already have a lot of upset customers. If it is getting delayed just say it straight and let us know the expected delivery date rather than saying you will look at it or find out what happening. All you have to do is say its getting delayed and expected date is so and so. This will avoid a lot of us having to continuously check our phone for updates.

edac
0 Kudos

complaint done..had this same drama 2 years ago with the Galaxy Nexus . Forward two years & different phone same situation at Telstra I see ? Bit of a joke really .
Established Member
SithLordManBat
0 Kudos

Okay I can kinda understand what's happened to the updates thread, and how it's being looked at right now, and for that I'm thankful. The only thing I'm annoyed at in terms of updates is that my laptop has a vendetta against me right when I'm trying to put a 4.3 ROM on my S3 so I can use my gear when I go to england in a week .-. But tangents aside, I really like the effort you are putting in to fix this thread.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mallory
0 Kudos

If you miss a date, can you please just indicate in which quarter you're still planning to get the thing out.

*goes back to waiting on S3 4G info*

Visitor
125fn
0 Kudos

I just recieved the Android 4.3 update for my Samsung Galaxy S4 today and it is working fine.

Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Would also be helpful if expected approval dates could be confirmed or updated if applicable, like a little light at the end of the tunnel, if an update is scheduled to be approved and gets approved, it would be nice to know. It signals some positive forward movement!

#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930
Established Member
Coolbreeze
0 Kudos

There is still no 4.3 update available for the GT-I9506 i.e the CAT4 LTE S4. Not via Kies or OTA. Has this been approved and seeded, has anyone else upgraded this model yet to 4.3?

Thanks

bayleetaylor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, like most of you I have been paitently waiting for the Android 4.3 update for my Sony Xperia Z1, but for some reason the date of release was changed from the 6th to TBC. Its now getting to that point that this flagship phone will be still running 4.2.2 when the recently announced Z1 compact arrives with 4.3. Telstra really needs to get these updates out ASAP like the other Aussie carriers have done and not only for the Z1 also the SGS4, HTC One etc