Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

Re: Handset Software Updates - 6/03/2014

[ Edited ]

ShannonD wrote:

Hi Xerxes,

If you've rooted your phone, this not an official release of the software & can void your warranty.

Doing this isn't recommended by Telstra as we do testing first to make sure it works correctly with the network.

EDIT: Now I am more level headed, best I redo this reply :smileytongue:

My phone was stock when it received the 4.3 update via Kies, but WiFi stopped working and get the secure fail error everytime I start the device. I DID however, root the phone when I restored it back to 4.2.2 to get it up and running again, since then the phone was unrooted and returned to fully stock 4.2.2. 

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Mine was stock and came through over WiFi
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, finally fixed it (I think). Now running 4.2.2 Official Telstra build; phone is unrooted, stock firmware/recovery and phone is reporting itself "official". BUT the phone still does not identity itself as a Telstra device, so access to the Telstra mobile portal is currently blocked.

EDIT: No, seems fine. Just doesn't work in Chrome for some reason. The default Samsung browser works fine.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KitEKat wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ams77tm5ullegtq/Screenshot_2014-03-16-12-20-49.png

S4 4.3update

Yeah, I got (had) that too:

Screenshot_2014-03-15-21-56-04.png

But it also did this:

screenshot.jpg

Device status: Custom

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KitEKat wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpm67vtue44ymsk/Screenshot_2014-03-16-12-45-15.png

official..

Yeah, same as my sister's S4 too. You installed OTA didn't you? I am certian the problem is with Kies and I have some circumstantial evidence that suggests it might be. Since Kies 2 is only compatible with 4.2.2 and lower and Kies 3 is compatible with 4.3 and above. I think when updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3 from Kies 2 (which you have too) causes issues because when the device reboots after update, it's no longer compatible with Kies 2 until you update to Kies 3...maybe Kies does something to the phone after reboot? just a guess but not much to go on...

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

Oh and sorry for somewhat hijacking the device update thread guys. Didn't mean too, I probably should of created a seperate thread for it but bit late now...sorry again.

Community Leader
DEANJA

Xerxes

I am certian the problem is with Kies and I have some circumstantial evidence that suggests it might be. Since Kies 2 is only compatible with 4.2.2 and lower and Kies 3 is compatible with 4.3 and above. I think when updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3 from Kies 2 (which you have too) causes issues because when the device reboots after update, it's no longer compatible with Kies 2 until you update to Kies 3...maybe Kies does something to the phone after reboot? just a guess but not much to go on...

Kies is a Samsung product, it is NOT a telstra product. Anything that is sent out from Kies is sent from Samsung and is Samsungs responsibility NOT Telstras.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DEANJA wrote:

Xerxes

I am certian the problem is with Kies and I have some circumstantial evidence that suggests it might be. Since Kies 2 is only compatible with 4.2.2 and lower and Kies 3 is compatible with 4.3 and above. I think when updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3 from Kies 2 (which you have too) causes issues because when the device reboots after update, it's no longer compatible with Kies 2 until you update to Kies 3...maybe Kies does something to the phone after reboot? just a guess but not much to go on...

Kies is a Samsung product, it is NOT a telstra product. Anything that is sent out from Kies is sent from Samsung and is Samsungs responsibility NOT Telstras.

Well Samsung have jumped the gun then! if Telstra didn't approve the update, why did Samsung push it out?? seems like a finger pointing game to me, customers still have broken phones because of this update. Samsung might be responsible for pushing the update out but aren't Telstra responsible for ensuring the update is well tested and approve the release? Seems to me both parties are responsible to a degree. I definetly don't see this being the customers fault as the update was delivered via official channels. 

Had this update leaked to the web and customers installed it via unsanctioned means, then yes it would be completely the customers fault and Telstra/Samsung would have done no wrong and completely in the clear. However, this update was send out via sanctioned means and thereby Telstra/Samsung must bear at least some of the responsibilty of this mess.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

So who pushes it out ota? Samsung or Telstra?
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

KitEKat wrote:
So who pushes it out ota? Samsung or Telstra?

Pretty sure both are by Samsung. Telstra only test the firmware to ensure it meets their requirements and that there are no big issues. Once Telstra give it the all clear, Samsung begin to push the update to customers directly (Kies is usually immediate release with OTA updates being staggered). Well that is my understanding, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Community Leader
DEANJA

That is correct.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.

Thanks
Jeff
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Well, that's what I understood. Telstra tests and approve, then Samsung push it. Ota or Kies its still Samsung, is it not?
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

KitEKat wrote:
Well, that's what I understood. Telstra tests and approve, then Samsung push it. Ota or Kies its still Samsung, is it not?

That is right. As to why the OTA update seems to have no issues and the Kies one does it beyond me. Obviously the Kies update is delivered slightly differently and because of the version compatibilty issues between Kies and version of Android currently installed/being installed, the issue *might* have arisen from there. However, that is just an uneducated guess and probally wrong.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Yeah. It seems Kies has issues. And no responsibility of Telstra. But the issue should at least be made aware of.
Community Leader
DEANJA

I think what you have to come to grips with, as was stated by Tel1stras representative on this forum earlier, the official Telstra update is still in their approval stages.

Telstra can'tbeheld responsible if some button happy monkey at Samsung sends out a non approved update.

Thanks
Jeff
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

KitEKat wrote:
Yeah. It seems Kies has issues. And no responsibility of Telstra. But the issue should at least be made aware of.

Yeah, agree with you there. Telstra are not responsible for Kies screwing up, that is directly on Samsung to fix. However, I would of thought Telstra might of pick up on this deployment issue in their testing? it's a pretty big issue to of slipped through the net. At least the issue is repairable, the update seems to of been pulled to prevent any more handsets being stuffed and people who (like me) did update via Kies the damage is completely reversable. I might of gotten a *little* hot headed in my frustration in demanding Telstra fix it, that was uncalled for but same time it would also be wrong for Telstra to just sit back and say "not our problem". It may not be their fault Samsung screwed up our phones but Telstra at the very least should contact Samsung to hault the deployment and make them aware of the issue (which they seem to have done).

Established Member
Gracey
0 Kudos

Samsungs Kies software package has a history of being terrible. There are posts all over tech forums where it either fails to work with Samsung devcices, phones, tablets PC's and has caused grief to so many including myself.

I asked the same question some time ago about OTA updates when I was with another phone company and was told that in that instance, HTC did the final software update distribution, and that was the same for all the leading manufacturers.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Ah well. At least mine is official, at least from Samsung, even though not fully sanctioned by Telstra. It's going fine. No problems. Much better than 4.2
Established Member
BarryEBarry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't done anything to mine yet, to try and fix (apart from reinstalling firmware via kies).

I am waiting on a CraigR or a Telstra rep to advise.

As for the the one person from Telstra, that keeps saying "this is not an official telstra release. etc. etc.". Thats a load of crap, I aswell as obviously a few others, used offical means to update our phones, to an official update (edit: Or at least we beleived it was an official update). I can't speak for everyone else, but, my phone is totally untouched, never rooted, never custom firmware. Plus its only about a week and ahlf old.

I connected my phone to kies to copy off some photos and it said "Firmware update available", So I thought "Yippee" and updated. Turns out it killed my wifi, and now makes my phone unofficial or something??

For me its a work phone, and we have rather large data quota's so it not an issue for me, but anyone who has gone over their data limit (thinking the phone was on wifi) should be refunded by telstra on the next bill.

Anyway. Someone official. Please acknowledge problem, and advise. At the end of the day "S#@t happens", somebody stuffed up, no big deal. Just don't make us all call telstra support and argue, to get this fixed.

Cheers

BarryEBarry

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Barry. Point noted. However, have you tried a hard reset to see what it does?
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Glad I didn't check Kies for updates..
smee90
0 Kudos

HTC One Kit Kat OTA upgrade on Telstra is live. Version 4.4.2. Just finished downloading and waiting for it to finish all its magical bizzo.

smee90
0 Kudos

Everything went well with my HTC One Kit Kat upgrade and it appears that everything is working as it should. Very quick and problem free upgrade.

Cheers :smileyhappy:
Occasional Visitor
sjmorris6
0 Kudos

hey i am just wondering how you root your phone back to 4.2.2 - am having the same problem as everyone else from that stupid firmware update. your help would be greatly appreciated thanks :smileyhappy: 

Established Member
Shaddolf
0 Kudos

I have a Galaxy Nexus and this update still seems nowhere in sight? Approved over a month ago but nothing shows up when I search for updates?

Renee
0 Kudos

Heya sjmorris6,

We don't support, nor encourage, the rooting of your mobile as it does void your warranty.

In order to find instructiosn on how to do so, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Renee :smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Renee
0 Kudos

Heya shaddolf,

Did you purchase your Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Telstra?

Renee :smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

Established Member
Shaddolf
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes my phone was on a 24month contract with Telstra which I just finished last month. Rolled onto a BYO plan now until the xperia Z2 comes out to upgrade to.

Have just checked for system update now and it says my phone is up to date - running 4.1.2 version.

It is not rooted nor has it ever been.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
CharlieCrocker

Re: Handset Software Updates - 6/03/2014; Blackberry.

CraigR

Can you please respond to the many Blackberry users who have asked the question here (in several threads, as you well know) about why the delay in rolling out the updates is occuring and what Telstra is going to do about it?

This is just the users who use these sorts of boards. Every Blackberry user is affected.

I note from other threads (non Blackberry) that Telstra gets straigh on board with an answer, but you havent said anything to the Blackberry users.

We bought Blackberries becuase we like them. We bought them from Telstra becuase you have normally good service and support.

You shouldnt sell something that a) your retailers cannot support or b) your support team cannot support.

We think you at least need to say something rather than stonewall.

Thanks

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CharlieCrocker, I do appreciate that delays are disappointing and that you want to get access to this update as soon as possible.  It is truly regrettable that a delay has been caused at our end for BlackBerry customers as a result of resourcing constraints.

I can assure you that Craig and his team are definitely working to get this update approved as soon as we are able.

Occasional Contributor
CharlieCrocker

[ Edited ]

Thanks DanK

Not really an answer, but I appreciate you coming back to me.

May I strongly suggest getting onto the thread "Blackberry software update to 10.2.1.537 availability in Australia" started by Scoota2000 and putting something up there.

Its been going since February with no response from Telstra since early March.

"Resourcing constraints", where I come from, isn't a really good thing to tell customers who are looking at these threads and seeing the abundant resources being thrown into fixing Kies and KitKat and Sony issues etc.

What it says, is that Telstra has Blackberry at the bottom of its priority list. Which means you have me and the rest of the Blackberry users at the bottom of your priority list. No one likes to be in that position, as I am sure you can imagine.

Thanks

Established Member
Shaddolf
0 Kudos

I still cannot download the 4.3 update on my galaxy nexus if anyone could assist?

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Joining the long list, with the exception of Telstra -Canadian carriers are now pushing KitKat to Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4..
sevenseacat
0 Kudos

I'm still in the same boat as Shaddolf. A Galaxy Nexus purchased from Telstra in June 2012, still under contract, never rooted, still on Android 4.1.2.

Would love to get an update on this.

Established Member
Shaddolf
0 Kudos

I looked at the Vodafone version of this thread and for the update they have now updated their post to state:

Cancelled by Samsung. They've confirmed there will be no further updates for this phone.

I wish Telstra gave us the same courtesy message

daveee123
0 Kudos

CraigR wrote:

Hi All,

See below for latest Telstra device updates.

Manufacturer

Model

Number

Model

Name

Update

version

Baseline Technical

Approval

Current target date available

Update Status

Comment

Sony

C6603

Xperia Z

Android Jellybean+ 4.3

20/01/2014

5/03/2014

Now deploying

Update approved 26 February.  Due to the fact that the KitKat update for the Sony Xperia Z was a little further away than both Telstra and Sony would have liked, a new version (with the previous issues discovered by Sony resolved) of the Android Jellybean 4.3 update has been Tested and approved by Telstra. Sony commenced deployment 5 March

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=xperia+4.3+wifi+issue&oq=xperia+4.3+wifi+issue&aqs=chrome..69i57....

What is being done to address the wifi "association rejection" issue that comes with the 4.3 update?

I have to reset my phone everytime the wifi fails (can be multiple times within an hour). Failing that I have to resort to mobile data (which I am sitting at 70% for the month with over half the month remaining), looking at my previous usage I rarely hit 50% of data used. At this rate I'm going to get a rather large bill come the end of the month.

Established Member
Coolbreeze
0 Kudos

Well as for the CAT 4 LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 I upgraded via keys before reading this forum which was a mistake. I agree this is not Telstra's fault... but it's not the users either.

The same thing that happened to others as documented earlier in this thread, who updated via Kies (v2.x ) happened to me. 

Samsung say it's Telstra issue and Telstra say it's a custom ROM we have to put tools down and can't help. Luckily I was able to get my device replaced and now back on 4.2.2 official ROM.

When I booted my device today and was setting it up I was notified from the device that there is an update available Android v4.3 available.

It really is a bad situation that customers are in when they end up with a defined custom ROM using offiical supported update channels.

Since the public doesn't have an access channel to Samsung someone from Telstra needs to pick up the ball and inform Samsung so the update is not published to the public! Are you not partners in this?

I'd advise just not updating at all until someone comments officailly from Telstra on when the REAL 4.3 ROM stands up

Tech Bar Team
AdrianG
0 Kudos

HTC One running 4.4.2 really good little bugs i have noticed is gone and runs bit smoother. If anyone is having trouble updating go to updater under applications force stop, clear caches, clear data try the update again should work

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Android Enthusiast, HTC One M8
Android 4.4.2, HTC Sense 6.0

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Occasional Visitor
Simes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is there any news on 4.3 or 4.4 update for HTC One XL? 4.2.2 is ok, since the HTC One is getting 4.4 why wouldn't the ONE XL get it as well? Pretty much the same hardware

Visitor
Riddick
0 Kudos

I'll jump on the banwagon of Xperia Z1 problems, like with every body the wifi cuts in n out and damn phone randomly tries calling and numbers thats in the call log. only solution to my god dam prob is to do a factory reset.

Established Member
Phamin8R
0 Kudos

Thats actually quite strange... you all had telstra branded S4 Cat4 phones right? .. and Kies let you upgrade to the non-Telstra 4.3 firmware?

As some of you will know, Samsung phones get sold with telco specific firmware as well as "generic" AKA "open" variants. Kies would usually upgrade your firmware to whichever variant you have.. if that makes sense.

Can you guys confirm whether or not you did purchase the phones through Telstra or did you big through a 3rd party like JB Hifi or Kogan?
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

I got mine from Telstra. But got the 4.3 update ota.
HamzaBB
0 Kudos

Totally agree, moved to Telstra from Vodafone, and now I have to put a $2 voda sim in my phone to get the BB updates on time, can't wait until i can get away from Telstra, this update support has ruined it.
Bourbon
0 Kudos

Hello Telstra,

Can you advise whether there will be a software udpate on Samsung Galaxy S4 - i9505 model as it does not appear in the list provided 

New Contributor
bazinga
0 Kudos

Why can't Telstra give us the option to do a samsung kitkat update when it it is immediately available without having to wait MONTHS for telstra to finally test and release their bloatware update. I own the phone should"t i have the right to install the update of my choice...  Have you guys even recieved the kit kat update for the S4 1905 yet???

mickyh
0 Kudos

Can someone from Telstra please help us with the S4 Cat 4 update that has gone wrong with Kies???

I have gone to a Telstra store and they won't swap the phone as it is 2 months old.

I have gone to the Samsung repair centre in Canning Vale Perth and they have accused me of rooting my phone and will not look at it under warranty - even when it was their software Kies that stuffed my phone.

Now my phone is being picked up by Samsung over east for a second opinion however whever I ask if they have seen this before it is always a 'no, never heard of it' response. I'm banking on getting a call saying we can't fix it as you have tampered with the software.

I have lodged a complaint with Samsung however the lady couldn't tell me their complaints handling procedure or guarantee that someone would get back to me. Also they dont have reference numbers for compliants so no doubt that isn't going to get anywhere.

Last time I ever buy a Samsung phone!!!

elusivet
0 Kudos

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 4.4.2... WHERE IS IT??

And seriously!!! for a phone that is NOT LOCKED TO YOUR NETWORK!!!! But sold to me by yuo 'Telstra'

Why can't we just download updates when they are available!!!

I can chuck a sim into any piece of crap, then access your network, and i'm not being stopped from doing that!!!

Ged_the_viking
0 Kudos

Can you explain why the release of updates for my Samsung S4 are so far behind Samsungs release?

I can understand testing takes time but you have just released 4.3 only for me to see that 4.4 has been announced by Samsung. 

This is really making me wonder whether I should not get phones elsewhere in future.