Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Handset Software Updates - November 21, 2013

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

See below for latest telstra device updates.

Handset

Update

Status

Expected test rounds

Expected approval date

Expected customer availability date

Notes

Blackberry Q10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

Now available

31/10/2013

18/11/2013

Approved

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

Now available

31/10/2013

18/11/2013

Approved

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G

Android 4.3 update

Waiting for initial vendor submission

9/12/2013

23/12/2013

Samsung have delayed submission to 22 November

Samsung Galaxy S3

Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update

Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor

18/11/2013

2/12/2013

Approved

HTC One

Android 4.3 update

Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor

18/11/2013

25/11/2013

Approved

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Re: Handset Software Updates - November 21, 2013

Thanks for the update Craig! I'm looking forward to 4.2.2 on my S3 3G.

JC42
0 Kudos

Sweet :smileyvery-happy: HTC ONE 4.3!

Super Contributor
pedah

So no even tentative news for Windows Phone, HTC 8X update 3 at this point? 

#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930
Established Member
Rustynote
0 Kudos

Oh, for the love of Cheese....

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G

Android 4.3 update

Waiting for initial vendor submission

9/12/2013

23/12/2013

Samsung have delayed submission to 22 November

Next phone's going to be a Nexus device.

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

I'm thinking this one is Samsung's fault. Have you read the news about 4.3 for the S3... not going well.
Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That sucks about Note 2

But if you guys are going to approve it by 9th December why does it take another 2 weeks to get it shipped to Samsungs update servers? You would think turn around time on an approvied update should take a few days only

Cmon Samsung you are second biggest seller of smartphones behind apple that means your updates should be on the ball

Firstly you released the phone on 4.1 when 4.2 was already the latest, you take 9 months to release 4.3 when 4.4 has already been out for a month

Going to lose a lot repeat business if your updates keep falling behind.. Motorola has already rolled out Kit Kat

Telstra see why we need constant updates. I've waited a month expect to see 4.3 rolling out on Monday as per your 21st October update. Now days away I get another update to advise another month delay

Surely you found out Samsung had delayed the release before today. Please update this page as you become aware of information. Vodafone are doing a nuch better job and you are Australia biggest carrier. Lift your game! Don't take a leaf out of Samsungs book

New Contributor
gazzman44
0 Kudos

Still no news on Android 4.3 for Galaxy S4?

I normally don't care too much about updates but I really want the ANT+ functionality.

Telstra please put some pressure on Samsung to hurry up and release the update to you.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

I cant wait to see the 4.2.2 update that doesnt exist for the s3, Samsung have never released it and are updating unbranded phones to 4.3, sooo seems a little unlikely to me
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

What about xperia Z? You are so far behond in updates its not funny
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Behind
Moonchie360
0 Kudos

What about the Samsung Galaxy S4 any news whatsoever about that?

moretamagik
0 Kudos

May I ask what happened to the GDR3 updates for the HTC 8X/8S that were scheduled for release at the end of November?

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

Hey guys,

If you list out all the device updates you are sitll awaiting a response on we will try to provide a status update in next weeks post. We will also update the updates archive to reflect all of the devices we have supported over the past few months.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Device-updates-2013-Archive/td-p/139942

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

seb-oz
0 Kudos

craig, where can i see the update dates for xperia z ? thanks

Planeray
0 Kudos

Hi Yannick,

I'd love to hear what the latest is on the Motorola Razr HD (and by extension, the M) update to 4.4 is.

http://ausdroid.net/2013/11/20/will-motorolas-razr-m-razr-hd-phones-see-a-kitkat-update-in-australia...

Cheers,

Ray

Contributor
HeintzG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Craig & Yannick,

Could you please let Xperia z owners know, if you will be updating the firmware to the latest available software: 10.3.1.A.2.67

Which has been released since: 2013-09-23

Since it contains some bug fixes, for wifi, camera and some enhancements which I for one am looking forward to, especially the bug fixes.

Cheers,

Heintz.G

Visitor
Tony_Mitchell
0 Kudos

Second that! I thought the S4 was the flagship!

New Contributor
GordonG
0 Kudos

Updates

Am I missing something? Where does it say that Telstra (or any other telco) is required to update everyone's phone software every time the manufacturer changes their mind? Sure, it's nice to have, and I appreciate it as much as anyone, but when did it become a right rather than a privilege?

Biggsy

I would really like to know of the reason why the 4.3 update for Galaxy S4 is yet to be mentioned, let alone released?
Samsung released it back in October and 3/4 of the world have it now!
An expected release date would be nice as the extra functions that it enables will be useful, and will stop the requirement of me carrying 2 devices around on the job.
This is a popular phone and a current flagship for Samsung, I (and many others), hope to hear about the update details soon...
Occasional Contributor
onethreealpha

Re: Updates

[ Edited ]

@ GordonG,

Here's a thought:

from a consumer rights perspective, any retailer has a responsibility to ensure that, where they have modified in any way, the software installed or provided by the OEM on a device for the sole purpose of branding (ie: every telco, where the branded OS adds ABSOLUTELY no functionality whatsoever), they have an equal responsibility to push through updates from the OEM that may enhance/maintain/optimise performance of the hardware, be it through security patches or bug fixes/performance tweaks as would be appropriate for the device to maintain optimal performance and functionality for both the warranty period and the OEM service support life period.

With the exclusoin of possible changes to compliance related functionality, as relates to both device OS and Baseband radio OS (or perhaps radio driver optimisations which are more focussed on supporting the balancing and management of basestation throughput, load and switching than specific functionality enhancements to the device), there is no reason, other than an organisational indifference to the provision of full support to the consumer for the device that the retailer has sold, for any telco to NOT fulfill their obligation to the consumer to provide timely updates to these devices, where the OEM has released said updates already.

The topic of contention would be in the interpretation of "timely", as opposed to the very real obligation that does exist, whether you choose to play devil's advocate (telco protectionist) or not.

Whilst I have frequently decried the total lack of communication from those that have previously (repeatedly) assured us of "doing better in the future", I also recognise the organisational policies that Telstra management have put in place that have left the update testing and certification process to a tiny team that is overworked and under immense pressure to produce results for an ever increasing range of products that are being sold to consumers.

One would hope at some stage, Telstra may actually put as much effort into ensuring the ongoing support and maintenance of the software driven products that they sell as they do for the marketing of those products.

Maintaining and enhancing functionality and performance (as well as addressing critical vulnerabilities and flaws) within the planned upgrade path of the handset life prior to obsolscence, is a responsibility, especially when retailers have tinkered with the OEM's OS buld for their own purposes.

This is not only in the Mobile handset space either. Known critical flaws in Telco branded ADSL, Cable, 3/4G and wifi routers have gone unadressed for years, whilst the OEM's have released multitudes of firmware patches and updates to the exact same hardware elsewhere to address and protect against critical exploits.

New Contributor
GordonG
0 Kudos

All pretty much valid points, onethreealpha, and I don't disagree on most of them; however (you knew there was gonna be a 'however' in there somewhere, didn't you? :smileyhappy: ) part of your thoughts are based on a discerned feeling of what adds functionality or not. Telstra in their wisdom (or total lack of it) chooses to inflict software components on us that we can't remove because THEY think it's part of the functionality. WE do not. I, like you, would like a nice, clean installation to which I can add or subtract as the case may be.

When I buy a new phone, fridge, car, washing machine, stapler or anything else, I assess what is available AT THE TIME. If I am prepared to accept what is available, I pays me money and takes me new toy 'ome. There is still nothing written anywhere that says the supplier has to continually upgrade it for me (I wish there was!) and when you get down to it, a new version of Android is exactly that - an upgrade. I can't take my car in during the warranty perios and demand an upgraded engine just because the latest model has a different, better one.

I'm certainly not a telco/Telstra apologist; there are times when I loath them with a passion. Oh, and remind me not to use this stupid "Quick Reply" feature ever again :smileyhappy:
Super Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

Don't use that quick reply feature Gordon!

I think there is a certain understanding between consumers and users that until the actual OEM withdraws support for a device, which is likely accepted to be about 12 to 18 months, that the carrier will pass these updates on to the consumer. No matter what customisation that the carrier includes, version updates from Google, OEM, Microsoft etc, should at some stage be available, and carriers in their wisdom would be well advised to support these updates.

Of course bloatware is another matter, and the price users pay for susidised devices through carriers, buying outright is no fix for this as the carrier only has the stock it has, so sourcing devices elsewhere and paying full price is the fix for that.

#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930
New Contributor
SimmyMelb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Samsung is releasing Kit Kat early next year for the S3 and S4 anyway, so why bother with any of those small updates? I'd rather just get Kit Kat.

BWLFViper
0 Kudos

is the 2nd of November update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 to 4.2.2 also for the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G?

BWLFViper
0 Kudos

is the 2nd of November update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 to 4.2.2 also for the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G?

Occasional Contributor
machunter46
0 Kudos

Are there ANY updates pending for the S34G?????
moretamagik
0 Kudos

Hi Yannick.

Seeing as you as so willing to keep us updated based on the device in question; what has happened to the GDR3 updates for the HTC 8S/8X that were scheduled for release late November? They have vanished from the list of updates.

Thanks,

Simon.

davidc4033
0 Kudos

Would like to know when 4.3 is coming out on the S3 4G? and 4.4 also

JesseS
0 Kudos

Sorry David, no info available on this at this stage keep an eye out on this page for further updates.

Jesse
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
davidc4033
0 Kudos

Is there any particular reason that this is the case? I know other networks have being releasong it around the world, and am wondering why Telstra is any different?

JesseS
0 Kudos

While that may be the case, we can only start testing once we receive the update from the vendor, David. Once that happens will test it with our network to ensure that it works with our devices.

The whole process can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on how it goes.

Jesse
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

Nokia? Windows Phone?
Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
flower
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileyindifferent:

Update GDR3 HTC 8X ????
:smileysad:

moretamagik
0 Kudos

They've (for some reason) removed the GDR3 updates!

Why would you do that Telstra? 

What is happening? 

Somebody inform us, how difficult could that be???

This is just a headache.

woodsy
0 Kudos

Galaxy Nexus.  Has been updated once since it's launch (December 16, 2011).  Was Telstra's "flagship google" launch product promising the latest Android updates.   Well officially it's at 4.3, Telstra is still back 18 months ago (4.1.2). 

There are quite a few new features i'd like but after waiting 1.5 years since an update i'm not holding my breath.  

In terms of this forum which i've stupidly checked every week since it's launch it would be better to have the multi-billion$ Telstra to have a list of all their phones they've sold, what the latest update available and customers can just choose their phone(s) and click notifications and we'll get notified when our phone gets some info from Telstra on any updates.  That would save a lot of time and useless forums and posts about "what's happening with X update".   That way the forums can be used for discussion on actual firmware not repetive questions every week.

GlennC
0 Kudos

Hi all, my Samsung S3 3G received a 379mb update last night, but still states software version 4.1.2.

Is a pre load for the 4.2.2 which is due next week? can any body confirm?

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Did it update the baseband version to I9300TDVEMJ1?
GlennC
0 Kudos

Yes Muzza its is the same baseband version

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

I think it is as you stated above, a pre-load for 4.2.2 which should be coming out next Monday!
nickjhart
0 Kudos

This doesn't appear (according to international updates) to include i9305 devices. 

Telstra 24x7 on Facebook said it does include these, however I doubt that it's correct.

What is the status of i9305 devices?

Please be careful when referring to Samsung Galaxy S3 to make sure you refer to the right model number before making claims of approved updates.

GlennC
0 Kudos

Can telstra confirm this update yesterday
New Contributor
lobie81
0 Kudos

Hi Telstra. Motorola Australia have confirmed on their website that Tesltra branded RAZR HDs will get updated to Kit Kat (4.4). Are you able to give us an idea of time frame on this, or even just confirm that it's going to happen? I can only assume Motorola Australia isn't telling porky pies...

https://motorola-global-en-aus.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1980#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjoxO...

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Occasional Visitor
bradP70
0 Kudos

HTC one on 4.3...all good..., BLINKFEED on the other hand gets stuffed..., wont even show gallery and \HTC support says...,wait 24 - 48 hours...A joke that this was approved by Telstra, when HTC cant even get it right.

mr_tim
0 Kudos

so telstra, we going to get the UDMJ6 OTA Update for the note 3? also anyone having the problem with the index service going mad and draing the battery which apparently this update fixes?

Fix Australia, Sack the government.
Occasional Contributor
iajanus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Has anyone else noticed the HTC One's bugginess after the 4.3 update? I've noticed the following:

1) During calls the screen isn't always off, so my ear has a few times brought down the notification bar, pressed into the Quick Settings bar and even put the phone into Aeroplane mode. I've also bumped the Mute and Speaker buttons because the screen isn't off.

2) The phone has done two unexpected restarts since the updates.

3) The phone this morning suddenly said it couldn't detect the SIM. Turning aeroplane mode on and off caused it to find it again.

All of these issues have started since the update, and nothing else has changed on the phone. Any ideas?

Regular Visitor
Oostie70
0 Kudos

Waiting on the update for the HTC 8X.
Frequent Visitor
JM77
0 Kudos

Can anyone from Telstra confirm the Galaxy S III is getting Android 4.2.2?

That's an update doesn't seem to have been delivered to any other S3, worldwide.

Occasional Contributor
Niche
0 Kudos

The first post states that the 4.2.2 update is just about ready to drop for the SGS3.

Community Manager
Gamgees
0 Kudos

Hi Niche

It is! They do roll out periodically however - I've received mine, but it may take some time for all to come through :smileyhappy:

Sam 

>