Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Handset updates - 18 July

Hi All,

See below for latest updates.

Update status*:

Handset  Update Status Expected test rounds Expected approval date Expected customer availability date Notes
HTC Titan 4G Windows Phone 7.8 update Now available 1 1/07/2013 17/07/2013 Now available via Zune
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 5/08/2013 19/08/2013 Samsung have slipped the testing submission of the update to 19 July
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 Withdrawn Withdrawn Samsung have elected globally to skip the 4.2.2 update for this device and will instead go to a newer version of Android. No schedule has been provided for this update.
Sony Xperia Z Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Testing complete 2 July. Approval pending provision of further information from Sony.
Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone GDR2 update First round testing 1 29/07/2013 14/08/2013 Test submission received 12 July and currently in test
Nokia Lumia 520 Windows Phone GDR2 update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 15/07/2013 TBC Nokia have slipped test submission to 26 July
HTC 8X Windows Phone GDR2 update First round testing 1 22/07/2013 7/08/2013 Test submission received 5 July and currently in test
HTC 8S Windows Phone GDR2 update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 5/08/2013 21/08/2013 HTC have slipped test submission to 19 July
HTC One Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update First round testing 1 22/07/2013 29/07/2013 Test submission received 5 July and currently in test
Blackberry Q10 Blackberry OS 10.1 update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 5/08/2013 19/08/2013  
Blackberry Z10 Blackberry OS 10.1 update Waiting for initial vendor submission 1 5/08/2013 19/08/2013  

* - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
New Contributor
hbt15
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 18 July

I really hope the coming Galaxy S4 update is the one that allows moving apps to SD. Having only 8gb to play with out of the box on a 16GB phone is a joke.

Any news on what update will entail?

VB82
0 Kudos

xperia z update was due July 15. How come it now says "first round testing"?

When will we finally get the update considering other networks already have 4.2?

New Contributor
Geech
0 Kudos

VB82 wrote:

xperia z update was due July 15. How come it now says "first round testing"?

When will we finally get the update considering other networks already have 4.2?

My understanding from reading the table at the top of this thread is that this date is yet to be confirmed.

New Contributor
dmanjra
0 Kudos

xperia z

pending information from sony

I read that as: Telstra want to build more branding into the phone and embed their apps. They think this will build more brand loyalty with their customers. 

Instead, it just alienates their customers further and we are stuck with buggy devices until we root the phone and update it ourselves. 

Outcome is a negative effect on customer relationship.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

No need to root with xperia z, mine is running au unbranded 4.2.2 without rooting :-)
New Contributor
dmanjra
0 Kudos

point me in the direction of how to do that?

Contributor
the_seal18
0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to update there HTC Titan 4G yet??? no updated on mine for the last 4 days.

Regular Visitor
makkyc

Is there any upcoming update on HTC One XL?

Visitor
brentos

That's awesome news for the Windows Phone 8 GDR2..

For the Lumia phones (specifically the 920 for my own selfish reasons) does this update also include the Amber updates?

Thanks Brent

petedavo
0 Kudos

Excellent finally get an update to this HTC Velocity 4G that was sold to me as the newest and best with plenty of room for new updates, then a week later brought out the S4, and haven't seen an update yet.  LOL

Contributor
Mickb83
0 Kudos

Where is the update for the Velocity petedavo?
I have a velocity as a spare phone but don't have any updates showing up.
New Contributor
nila
0 Kudos

How do you get stock on without rooting?
Sick of waiting!
Occasional Visitor
Glowormlh4

Hi there, no my HTC Titan 4G is still saying there is no update available and Zune is also saying the same thing, so the above chart stating it's available is a bit misleading and not quite correct at this time.

Regular Visitor
davidproud

Something's wrong. HTC Titan 4G update is still not available via Zune.
Valued Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

My Titan updated as soon as I connected to my pc,
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930
Contributor
the_seal18

NO!!! WP7.8 update for my HTC Titan 4g yet. telstra still not replying to posts on here. 9 days since release, how long does it take to roll out the update to everyone??? are you going to reply to this e-mail unlike the other non replys of the past??? fantastic lack of support telstra wounder why customers get fustrated.

Contributor
Mickb83

@the_seal18 - This is Crowdsupport, not Telstra Technical Assistance, the main purpose of Crowdsupport is for fellow Telstra users to assist you with issues that you may be encountering. It is not a tool for Telstra to communicate directly with customers. That is what the phone and Livechat are for.

Unfortunately, I doubt you will receive a direct response from a Telstra representative on this forum, you may get a Telstra staff member who posts on here of their own accord, but rarely will you get an official response from Telstra.

All I can suggest is to be patient, most rollouts are staggered i.e they occur over a few weeks with a certain percentage of phones getting the updates every few days/weeks, at least they do with android rollouts, so it may just not be your phones turn to be included in the staggered rollout.

All I can suggest, from past experience, is to call Telstra's technical support team, they will be able to give you a more definitive response then you are ever likely to receive on here.
Community Leader
DEANJA

As this is a peer to peer support site, could you enlighten the rest of us just what practical and productive contribution you can make, beyond your disregard for common decency and appropriate language?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Contributor
Mickb83

and that there folks is why community based forums are such a helpful place.
thank you David for you helpful and eloquent words.
it sounds as though clearly you're having issues yourself, perhaps if you are this upset with the service provided by Telstra that you take your concerns to the telecommunications ombudsman, and I'm sure if you explain your situation as you just have here you may get out of your contract and be able to go to one of the many other Australian providers. I'm certain they'd gladly take your money and provide you with a better service.
on a personal note, I actually work in the insurance industry (for the purpose of clarity it is not with NRMA), so really, if name calling is the best you have, trust me David, I get more on a daily basis than that.
Contributor
the_seal18
0 Kudos

@Mickb83, if you go back thought the Handset update posts ppl have commented they have been directed to this site by telstra staff for information on updates. Maybe telstra should be doing a better job providing quality service to there customers. It is not the publics job to provide hand me on information to the rest of the customers. If this is a public forum then the schedule should not be here but on an official Telstra page were comments and suggestions are replied to, if I didn't reply to stuff at my work I would get questioned wouldn't you? I have posted suggestions on here on what might help make the schedule clearer, I would have thought that CraigR would read ppl's replies as they may be helpful to what he has been posting.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Telstra dont care about peoples suggestions, its all about the dollar, once your signed up you are just another number.
Contributor
Keif
0 Kudos

nope.... No update here yet either......

Contributor
Keif
0 Kudos

Update for HTC Titan 4g still not available via Zune! What are you guys doing in there? I appreciate the regular posts with update information but this issue is well overdue for resolve...

Contributor
Mickb83

@the_seal18, you'll probably find that the Telstra staff directing people to crowdsupport have no answer to what is being asked of them so suggest people see if others are in the same boat and may be able to help.

As has also been pointed out in several update posts (mainly after people have complained about why Craig's posts are not as frequent as the weekly time frame originally proposed), Craig is doing these update on his own accord, he is not employed by Telstra to provide these updates, hence why he doesn't respond to the questions asked... it's not his job.

you're right, it's not the publics job to help people, that is what Telstra Tech Support is for, but for when Tech support are not available, or god forbid they can't help, there is this forum for people to check and see if others have come across the same problem and have a solution. 

Unfortunately the most common reply is forget about it, just root your phone and be done with it.

Community Founder (Retired)
CJNET
0 Kudos

I keep getting software upgrade notifications for the same BlackBerry Z10 update. It's the same update that the handset says it already has.
CORY [CJNET]
Occasional Contributor
Waughy
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is the S4 update based on the most recent release from Samsung, or is it on par with the latest unbranded regional rom (XSA) that was released in May?
Thanks.
New Contributor
Molaram

Looking forward to seeing the HTC One update today......
danjohn
0 Kudos

I'm starting to think that we won't be receiving the 4.2 update for the HTC one today.

Any word from Telstra?
New Contributor
Molaram

I haven't seen/heard anything yet. After watching the update for the Xperia Z get changes from 15th July to "TBC" (something that happened *after* 15th july had come and gone), I haven't put the probability of seeing a HTC One update any time in the next month higher than 50-50.

Community Leader
DEANJA

[ Edited ]

All the spin in the world won't hurry something up that may not be quiet ready for us yet.

According to the HTC Facebook page TODAY it's still in testing;

HTC AustraliaHi Travis, thanks for coming to us with your query. We understand that the update has been pushed out in other markets, however software and testing is not uniform across the world and we need to adhere to the unique testing protocol here in Australia, to ensure you have the best experience.  As soon as the update is ready to be rolled out you will receive a notification from your mobile operator. Thanks.
If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.

Thanks
Jeff
danjohn
0 Kudos

I figure as much.
There was a post somewhere on HTC Australia Facebook page saying 19-7-13 for the update as well but can't seem to find the post now
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

See my above post from HTC's facebook page today!!!

Thanks
Jeff
New Contributor
ashymac
0 Kudos

danjohn , I did receive an account reminder from them  :-) 

danjohn
0 Kudos

Ashymac,
An account reminder?.

I should have learnt my lesson with the other Telstra branded phones when it comes to updates.
I should not stray from my nexus phones.
New Contributor
ashymac
0 Kudos

Sorry danjohn , bad joke.!! My point was that you never here anything from Telstra unless you haven't paid your bill.

danjohn
0 Kudos

Ha ha how true is that.
gnthomas
0 Kudos

What has happened to the HTC One update that was due today????
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

gnthomas wrote:
What has happened to the HTC One update that was due today????

According to the HTC Facebook page TODAY it's still in testing;

HTC AustraliaHi Travis, thanks for coming to us with your query. We understand that the update has been pushed out in other markets, however software and testing is not uniform across the world and we need to adhere to the unique testing protocol here in Australia, to ensure you have the best experience.  As soon as the update is ready to be rolled out you will receive a notification from your mobile operator. Thanks.

Thanks
Jeff
Occasional Contributor
Waughy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

danjohn wrote:
I should have learnt my lesson with the other Telstra branded phones when it comes to updates.
I should not stray from my nexus phones.

You and me both. Things were very slow when I had my Galaxy S2. The rest of the world was 2-3 firmwares ahead at any given time, and it's looking the same again with the S4.

I don't know why Telstra can't just run with the unbranded XSA firmware for the S4 (or unbranded for any device), the startup screen is uneccessary, and the bloatware they add is all available in the google play store so not needed to be put into the firmware and annoy those of us that don't want to use it.

chazwoza
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Telstra please can you provide an ETA for this much needed HTC One fix?

danjohn
0 Kudos

What I find amazing is that no Telstra person has explained why or they haven't even updated the update status page since the 18th.
New Contributor
ashymac
0 Kudos

danjohn......some body wrote that they received their update this morning...   :-  crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-updates-17-june/td-p/1646/page/4

New Contributor
iivt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My faiv part of this is their explanation, claiming "they test to ensure the firmware works with their network". althought unbranded handsets run perfectly fine. HTC loosk after that, all Telstra does is add their bloatware. Really want those telstra logos in power on and off screens... Please make sure they work well....

Sigh....

adz
New Contributor
adz
0 Kudos

ashymac wrote:

danjohn......some body wrote that they received their update this morning...   :-  crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-updates-17-june/td-p/1646/page/4

Looks to be for a Sony Xperia

BrockM

I just got this reply via Twitter in regards to the HTC One update.  Hope it's correct.

2013-07-30 14.03.17.png

adz
New Contributor
adz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I call <removed>....if it was due out today, they would have updated this page....I'll be surprised if its out before October...next year.

post edited to remove inappropriate language -Ashley

BrockM
0 Kudos

I hope it's not bull**bleep** or I'll be rather annoyed.

Community Leader
DEANJA

Settle down boys and girls, it will land when it's GOOD and READY.

Good Things

Thanks
Jeff
adz
New Contributor
adz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Classic response....not useful or helpful!...-1 kudos for you pal!