Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR
0 Kudos

Handset updates - 19 January 2013

Hi all,

A very quick update this week. Unfortunately we are still investigating the issue identified with the Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update. We hope to have more information early week commencing 21 January. Apart from that the status of each of the updates is in the table below. There is not a great deal of change as the test team have only just come back on board after the holiday break.

Update status for this week*:

Handset  Update Status Expected test rounds Expected approval date Expected customer availability date Notes
Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Test submission received and currently in test. Unfortunately a potentially serious issue has been identified which is still under investigation. Approval and deployment dates are now "TBC".
HTC One XL Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Now available 1 24/12/2012 24/12/2013 Now deploying as a FOTA update
HTC One S Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC have delayed the submission of this update until early 2013.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Now available 2 19/12/2012 19/12/2012 Now deploying as a FOTA update and via the "Kies" desktop software
Motorola RAZR M Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Second round testing 2 28/01/2013 8/02/2013 Test submission received and currently in test
Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone GDR1 update First round testing 1 21/01/2013 TBC Expected within 10 business days from approval
HTC 8X Windows Phone GDR1 update First round testing 1 29/01/2013 TBC Expected within 10 business days from approval
Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 21/01/2013 31/01/2013  
Nokia Lumia 610 Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Approval/deployment dates not locked down yet. Expected to be available late February/early March
HTC Titan 4G Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Approval/deployment dates not locked down yet. Expected to be available late February/early March
HTC 7 Mozart Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Approval/deployment dates not locked down yet. Expected to be available late February/early March
HTC HD7 Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Approval/deployment dates not locked down yet. Expected to be available late February/early March
Samsung Omnia W  Windows Phone 7.8 update First round testing 1 TBC TBC Approval/deployment dates not locked down yet. Expected to be available late February/early March

* - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 19 January 2013

Better late then never, thanks Craig :smileyvery-happy:

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Established Member
Duradel
0 Kudos

Been waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update for too long. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Occasional Contributor
longjohn1987
0 Kudos

Yay, been waiting for some news on the Lumia 920, I am assuming that this update is the "portico" update everyone is talking about?

Ben_F
0 Kudos

@duradel I agree it's a long time coming, however it seems that Samsung just don't care about getting it right :-(

New Users - Click Here!

Contributor
Bomples
0 Kudos

I'm curious to what this issue is they found in the Galaxy Nexus 4.1 update, it's obviously serious because Optus have also halted their testing too because of it. However, Vodafone found no problems and pushed the update out (far as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong). CraigR, can you give us anything on what this issue is?

Contributor
LadyX
0 Kudos

Thank you, sounds good to me.

New Contributor
harold_257
0 Kudos

Bomples wrote:

I'm curious to what this issue is they found in the Galaxy Nexus 4.1 update, it's obviously serious because Optus have also halted their testing too because of it. However, Vodafone found no problems and pushed the update out (far as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong). CraigR, can you give us anything on what this issue is?

i've had a look on the vodafone forums and they have approved the update and just waiting to google to roll out the update to their customers, maybe its been held up with the same issue

Ben_F
0 Kudos

Bomples wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, that information would be commercial in confidence and can't be disclosed :smileysad:

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Muithe
0 Kudos

Not testing an S2 3G JB build yet? Disappointed. :smileysad:
New Contributor
Builty
0 Kudos

Any news on the fix for the "sudden death" critical issue on Galaxy S3?

Fix has rolled out for generic Australian devices already and many EU territories. Samsung seem to be pushing it out quickly to stem the flow of warranty failures.

The most popular handset with the most serious bug should be priority number 1.

If you guys are going to persist with carrier branding devices then you need to step up and provide high speed releases for critcial issues. Better still save yourselves and everyone else the trouble and just leave it unmodified and provide your "value-added" stuff via App download.

Occasional Contributor
Froggers
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And the usual blame will be thrown at Samsung, BUT, Samsung have be up front and have released the fix that could be sent out for Telstra branded handsets, but as usual they will be weeks if not months behind while the units keep falling over like flies.

Cut the crap bloat you shove on your handsets Telstra and for once do the right thing by your customers.

New Contributor
rishigarg
0 Kudos

I noticed that in your latest handset update it says that the update it now available for Samsung GAlaxy s3. However when i connected it to kies desktop it said no update available. i also checked the FOTA option but that said the same thing. 

help please?

Occasional Visitor
Lhii

Craig

4.1 has been released for a while now for the Samsung galaxy 3. When will 4.1.2 be available? I notice that it has been released for a week on other network providers.

Cheers
carowi
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Do you know if there will be a Jelly Bean update for the HTC Velocity coming in the future?

Freakazoid
0 Kudos

Aww no updates on the HTC One S situation?
bassteq
0 Kudos

Love to also know when 4.1.2 will be released!

Craig

4.1 has been released for a while now for the Samsung galaxy 3. When will 4.1.2 be available? I notice that it has been released for a week on other network providers.

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

I would love to know this too! Just read that Vodafone have the update and starting to test.
http://blog.vodafone.com.au/blog/software-update-weekly-wrap-17012013/
New Contributor
Builty
0 Kudos

Optus just finished testing of 4.1.2 for Galaxy S3:

http://optus.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/102/~/android-tablet-%26-mobile-os-updates

As shown above Vodaphone have a build in test.

So how about Telstra?

If my S3 dies from this known issue that should have been released already, Telstra better do a direct handset swap for new in the shop and not screw me around for weeks :smileysad:

New Contributor
unrealshots
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

you can always install the XSA Jellybean 4.1.2 from SamMobile (http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=8&view=1061) using ODIN, which will give you the latest and greatest Jellybean experience on the Telstra branded S3, without the 2 Telstra apps...

let's not get carried away with calling it bloatware - I'm no fan of carrier branding, however the Telstra mods are minimal.

• Boot Logo
  • Navigator
  • Quickflix (a.k.a Movies & TV)
  • Telstra One

oh, and if you have a PocketNews enabled SIM, you get that icon too...

I had massive stability issues with 4.1.1 and rolled back to 4.0.4 (Baseband I9300TDULH1) using ODIN, and have been stable since...

Established Member
Duradel
0 Kudos

Vodaphone have approved the Galaxy Nexus update to 4.1.2 and are awaiting the roll out to be done by Google.

All we can see on the Telstra update page is a bunch of TBC's. Hmm.
Contributor
DeanM
0 Kudos

They approved it over a month ago and gave it to Google. Google wouldn't take that long to roll it out, so if you thought about it for a minute you might decide that maybe the deployment is on hold due to the same issue Telstra and Optus have found, and that they've just failed to tell anyone so they don't have to admit they did crap testing.
Occasional Contributor
cihan
0 Kudos

Galaxy Nexus Update?
New Contributor
anomynous
0 Kudos

GT-I9305TAustralia2013 JanuaryAndroid 4.1.2I9305TDVBMA2I9305TXSABMA4DownloadUnlock

Info

There has been a new Firmware version  for the GT-I9305T which is android version 4.1.2 for Australia

PDA: I9305TDVBMA2

CSC: I9305TXSABMA4

Version: 4.1.2

is this the update we have been waiting for?

Frequent Visitor
willthrow

This article is well worth a read for all those waiting for an update.

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-you-ll-never-have-latest-version-android
Contributor
Bomples
0 Kudos

This article is well worth a read for all those waiting for an update.

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-you-ll-never-have-latest-version-android

Thanks for sharing that, while that article does hold extremely true I feel it doesn't hold water in the Galaxy Nexus case. For a "Google Experience" phone with little to no customization required, how did something so simple become such a huge farce? while I understand Telstra are working hard to bring the update to us soon as possible, can't help but laugh at the enormous mess this has become. 

Occasional Contributor
Dimi194
0 Kudos

The RAZR M JB was meant to be approved today; any news whether this is correct?

Dimitrous Charles, author of Stories of Earth: WWIII
tiesto404
0 Kudos

I'm super unhappy with telstra with the fact it's taking so long for the "Nokia Lumia 920" update to get approval. This is a critical upate because the phone is unuseable with out it.

Just to recap all issues with nokia Lumia 920.

• Restarting and hanging on a black screen where you forced to do a power off with 3 keys that normal user would not know this issue happions 5 or 6 times a week.
  • Can not send text messages get a "Can not sent" message with no error log what happions around 70%
  • Battery go flat super quick with in 2 hours.
  • All photos are blured unless in low light and it takes around 1 min for the phone to save .
  • NFC has to be turned off or handset hanging 10+ times a day.
  • Skype Causes the people hub to crash and incoming calls to not be ID.
  • long text messages are send as mms what fails around 99% of the time.
  • Facebook APP crashs around 100+ times a day. If the phone go on standby the facebook app just shows the actions bar at the bottom and crashs.
Occasional Contributor
longjohn1987
0 Kudos

• Restarting and hanging on a black screen where you forced to do a power off with 3 keys that normal user would not know this issue happions 5 or 6 times a week.
  • Can not send text messages get a "Can not sent" message with no error log what happions around 70%
  • long text messages are send as mms what fails around 99% of the time.
  • Facebook APP crashs around 100+ times a day. If the phone go on standby the facebook app just shows the actions bar at the bottom and crashs.

I will raise my hands and confirm I too am having the above issues. I am on my third handset and have realised software is the issue, not hardware. The text messages failing to send is a huge issue and I really hope Telstra and Nokia are looking into it.

Hopefully portico fixes all these issues, but I am not holding my breath.

Occasional Visitor
brody59
0 Kudos

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 update, this is now getting ridiculous!!! My phone restarts AT LEAST ONCE PER DAY (usually 2-3), has issues sending most sms's and mms's, cannot hold a wifi connection when on standby, wants to send an mms when I go over 161 characters and the apparantly highly durable gorilla glass scratches very easily!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but if the update doesn't come out on or before the expected date (ie: 31/1), I will be returning it to my local telstra shop for a full refund!! I bought this phone outright, so I have no contractual obligations.

Occasional Contributor
MikeD
0 Kudos

Unfort I am the same - in the past week or so the restarts have gone out of control - more embarressing was the fact that I was having to use it as a tethered device all day today - and in the middle of demoing bang it restarts... again.

I have had 4 restarts today.

Call issues, SMS issues - and all I can research really points out this is an australian issue *sigh*

qanurg
0 Kudos

Craig,

It's evident from the posts in reply to your original post of 19/1/13 that Telstra Lumia 920 users are getting quite anxious about Telstra not releasing the GDR1 update. I'm also experiencing similar problems to others that have posted on this and other forums. My 920 reboots a couple of times a day, I'm having trouble witrh SMS and my data connection randomly drops out.

When a company (i.e. Telstra) promotes a a forum for communicating with its customers (i.e. CrowdSupport), but then when issues arise with a product that the company sells (i.e. Lumia 920) remains silent about issues that are being raised by customers with the product, you should not be suprised that the customers start to complain.

What none of us can understand is why Telstra remains SILENT on the outcome of the testing of the update (if it has in fact been completed), why there has been no revision to the expected approval date (nominated as 21/1/13 - this was 8 days ago) and why the expected customer availability date is still TBC.

Please answer these questions.

Does Telstra acknowledge that there are operational issues/problems with the Lumia 920?

Does Telstra acknowledge that there is (or maybe) problems with the Lumia 920's specific to the Telstra network?

Has testing of the GDR1 update been completed?

When will Telstra release the GSR1 update?

Thank you (in anticipation of a prompt response)

New Contributor
banksbg
0 Kudos

Dear Telstra - cna you please supply a status update on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.1 update.  There has only been one this month which is poor customer service

Occasional Contributor
cihan
0 Kudos

useless with their updates.

promised a galaxy nexus status update last week...and yes still waiting

DanielTarrant
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,
Can you provide any update as to when Telstra will start pushing out a JB 4.1.2 update for the GS3?
A lot of people awaiting this for various reasons. 

Established Member
lumia800Waiting
0 Kudos

Lumia 800 - ETA 31-01-2013. Where is the update?

New Contributor
FreeStyler
0 Kudos

It appears that the Portico update for Nokia Lumia 920 is now available from Telstra

Visitor
j_d_mars
0 Kudos

Where did you see that it was available FreeStyler?

New Contributor
frozenwaffles
0 Kudos

HTC Mozart 7.8 update is live :smileyhappy:

Established Member
jassinlive
0 Kudos

Lumia 800 here with Telstra and no update.

Vodafone has it: http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Nokia-Lumia-800-Mango-Commercial-Refresh-3-Update

What's the go Telstra any ETA ?

Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

@lumia800Waiting & @jassinlive might be Nokia's end? I have a generic Lumia 800 for a client and its not updating. Most old Lumias apparently went live today.

@frozenwaffles Awesome! I can update my 11 month olds Music Player :smileywink:

Freakazoid
0 Kudos

I just tryed updating a HTC Mozart to 7.8 for a customer and there is still no update it said.

Chimera1020
0 Kudos

You can get it off Kies but not if your phones branded. Which means that without rooting your phone you wont get it till Telstra has built their "Bloatware" skin on top. Also, its not really worth it to Telstra. The S4 gets released in 3 months. Why update and look after loyal customers when its easier to get them to buy the new phone and lock them in for another 2 years.:manfrustrated:

Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Freakazoid I have the same issue, no update for me. Not sure how @frozenwaffles got it??

Edit :- The first entry in this thread says End of Feb/Beg of March so really not sure.

New Contributor
frozenwaffles
0 Kudos

I just plugged my phone in... Did 2-3 updates, incrementally, and it finished with the new 7.8 build :smileywink:
My Mozart has a branded rom too, Telstra splash screen on startup, etc.
Established Member
AnthonyB
0 Kudos

Updated my Telstra Nokia Lumia 800 to 7.8 earlier today (as did many of my colleagues)

Very surprised to hear about people getting the update on their HTC 7 Mozarts given the table has a big TBC on it for this model. I've had a colleague also confirm he got the update on a Mozart so I'll be going and grabbing my wife's Mozart and giving it a go.

Occasional Visitor
andyroo54
0 Kudos

MemberAnthonyB

AnthonyB

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=xa-4ff2877a125cace8"></script>

Updated my Telstra Nokia Lumia 800 to 7.8 earlier today (as did many of my colleagues)

Very surprised to hear about people getting the update on their HTC 7 Mozarts given the table has a big TBC on it for this model. I've had a colleague also confirm he got the update on a Mozart so I'll be going and grabbing my wife's Mozart and giving it a go.

Hi,

Do you mind explaining how you actually updated it to 7.8?? It does not seem to work through Zune.. is there another way? Flash it? Where is the ROM?

ST
ST
0 Kudos

I just tried my Nokia Lumia 800 via Zune and there is no update. Its a Telstra branded device. I am wondering why others here have received it and for me it says my version 7.10 (8773) is the latest?

New Contributor
Builty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's been a report that one smaller Telstra store has had over 50 Galaxy S3's returned after failing from the sudden death bug. Could easily be thousands failed already.

Yet still not even an ETA on the 4.1.2 update with the fix. 

EDIT: just spotted that 4.1.2 has been approved and waiting on Samsung to deploy. Bravo!

Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@frozenwaffles I guess your on the earlier deployment list than what I am. Oh well. I was wondering if WP7.8 has a seperate OneNote app like WP8 or is it still muddled in with Office.

Edit as for the Lumia 920 update.. So glad we have it now but would have loved not to spend the last month restarting the phone 5 times a day to keep celular working when the update has given me this!

wp_ss_20130201_0001.png

>