Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Handset updates - 21 May

Hi all,

See below for latest status.  The Windows Phone GDR2 updates have not been included yet as we are still waiting on locked in timelines for submission from the relevant vendors.

Update status*:

Handset  Update Status Expected test rounds Expected approval date Expected customer availability date Notes
HTC One S Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Second round testing 2 21/05/2013 28/05/2013 A new version of FW has been submitted and is in test
HTC Titan 4G Windows Phone 7.8 update Second round testing 1 TBC TBC Telstra approved the update on 14 February however Microsoft is investigating some reports related to Live Tile functionality in Windows Phone 7.8 and as a result a new FW submission has been provided. 
Samsung Omnia W  Windows Phone 7.8 update Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor 1 6/05/2013 6/06/2013 Approved by Telstra 6 May
LG c900k Windows Phone 7.8 update Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor 1 6/05/2013 6/06/2013 Approved by Telstra 15 May
LG Optimus Black Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update Waiting for second FW submission 2 27/05/2013 10/06/2013 LG have slipped new FW delivery to 24 May
Samsung Galaxy Note Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update First round testing 1 27/05/2013 10/06/2013 Updated received and in test
Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor 2 20/05/2013 3/06/2013 Approved by Telstra 17 May
Sony Xperia P Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor 1 6/05/2013 22/05/2013 Approved by Telstra 3 May

* - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 21 May

Thanks for the update Craig, good to hear from you.

I'm surprised that Samsung would have submitted the 4.1 update for testing on the Galaxy Note when they are into there second serving up of 4.2.2 elsewhere?

Any comment?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
New Contributor
mariomart

Still no mention of HTC One update?

There are several bug fixes that have been released over the past weeks that resolve issues with the capacitive buttons and camera issues. I have had problems with both of these issues. So why don't Telstra release a fix?

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Following from mariomart's comment...

Still no update on the Samsung S3 3G update? Vodafone has already rolled this out to help improve the launcher crashing every 4th or 5th time. Why own a top of the range smartphone when you can't swap apps without waiting 10 seconds for the launcher to reload?

New Contributor
Daveee

No Xperia Z update?

Contributor
the_seal18

Could you please confirm why there has been such a long delay with the HTC Titan 4G it has been noted as second round testing since the 11th of March??? This lack of information is what makes customers frustrated.
Contributor
the_seal18

Surely it can't take 2 months to test a phone???
Valued Contributor
GlennL

I know you said you aren't mentioning GDR2 updates but the flow of information has been very poor and really liked to have been updated.

Now we have a HTC ONE here and are getting no information when the update is coming it brings many image quality enhancements and button sensitivity issues which is thing are desperately needed

So if you have any information on the new update for the HTC ONE please share

Contributor
cheetah2k

HTC One developer editions are now on Ver 16 of the 1.29 software..

HTC One unbranded international phones are now on Ver 14 of the 1.29 software

HTC One Optus branded phones are now on Ver 12 of the 1.29 software

HTC One Vodafone branded phones still on Ver 2, but Ver 12 released early next week....

HTC One Telstra branded phones still on Ver 2 - no update planned....:smileymad:

New Contributor
gevinkrime

Hi CraigR

Thanks for the update.... as mentioned below by a couple of others.... surely it cannot take over two months to roll out the 7.8 upgrade to the HTC Titan II? 

This is very frustrating.

:smileysad:

PeakL

HTC One, it is one of the premium hand sets available and Telstra is about 10 sub versions behind what is released with many sub-components increasing the stability, performance & functionality of the phone... yet Telstra are not reviewing it or looking at any update schedule...

Signed up for a premium provider, paying top dollar for the premium provider and a premium hand set but seriously lagging in the hand set suppot side...

All the other handset providers / vendors seem to be providing the latest updates...

an internal review / priorties and escalation really needs to be done.

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

PeakL wrote:

Signed up for a premium provider, paying top dollar for the premium provider and a premium hand set but seriously lagging in the hand set suppot side...

Premium mobile telephony/data service provider, for which you pay monthly for network access. I don't think Telstra ever marketed itself as a premium supplier of handsets with market-leading after-sales support for consumer-grade customer-owned hardware.

an internal review / priorties and escalation really needs to be done.

Are you expecting such an internal review will show that providing better handset after-sales support to consumer-segment customers will greatly increase the corporation's profitability? Remember, such a commercial review should completely disregard your personal values or feelings on the matter, and only focus on revenue and profitability.

As a consumer myself, I wouldn't bet on it.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Occasional Contributor
Cyrus
0 Kudos

Hey thanks alot CraigR for the update! Hopefully the Galaxy S2 update will come soon!
Occasional Visitor
CallHome
0 Kudos

My Telstra GalaxyS2 just got updated over the last hour to 4.1.2 :smileyhappy:

Established Member
legless
0 Kudos

My S2 just got the update too and it's now broken. No access to the home screens as Touchwiz Home just crashes every time. Great.

Established Member
legless
0 Kudos

Ok to fix the the Touchwiz Home has stopped problem after the update I had to do the following.

Turn off.
1. Press and hold Volume up + Home button + Power button (all 3 at once) until in blue writing of Recovery Mode.
2. Use volume to select Clear Cache and Power button to action.

I did this first and it didn't help so I had to proceed to step 3.

3. Use volume to select Clear Data/Factory reset and Power button to action.Now do same for .

WARNING: This will wipe your data, including Contacts stored on the phone, but not camera photographs or your external sd card.

It works now but I have of reorganising to store. Luckily I have a backup of contacts and preferences and other stuff.

New Contributor
Ruxton
0 Kudos

SGS2 just updated, no issues.  It was sitting on my desk for about 10 minutes after update and I picked it up to turn the screen back on, NOTHING, phones completely frozen and had to remove the battery from the back to get it back to life.

Somethings still not right in this one..

Occasional Contributor
Cyrus
0 Kudos

SO the GS2 JB updates are FINALLY rolling out.......how many having issues after the firmware installation??

Woodchukka
0 Kudos

Yep. Having issues. Had to (as per instructions from Kies) disconnect USB cable and remove battery, put it back in and once the phone restarted reconnect cable and start over and now I am stuck on 11% for the last hour or so. So who knows if I can recover this one? Thankfully I backed up phone before starting.

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That doesn't sound good.

Can you reconnect the unit to your PC and Kies and power it up?

Then if you can go to a setting in Kies called Emergency recovery mode, it's the first cab off the rank under TOOLS and follow the instructions there.

Kies recory.jpg

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.

Thanks
Jeff
Woodchukka
0 Kudos

Na did not look good at all. However got is all sorted now :smileyvery-happy:. Keis had completely locked up on the update so I could not so anything at all with Kies. I bit the bullet and removed the battery (again) without pulling the cable and refitted. Phone showed the exclamation mark (2 either side of the screen joined by dots) and computer recognised it as well. Followed the instructions to go into emergency rcovery mode and it went through a recovery process then Kies installed the new firmware, rebooted and so far so good. Everything still there and working good as new. Toom me back a bit as that is the first time that has happened. Also the phone has never been rooted. Only Telstra approved updates.

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Mate that all sounds good and I hope I was of some help for your problem.

Thanks
Jeff
Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

Wife's SGS2 updated without a hitch... :smileyvery-happy:

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well that's good Hayden, you won't be back in the dog house tonight then.....:smileytongue:

How's your Xoom going still got it?

Thanks
Jeff
Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

Yep, still cranking the Xoom..

Pity it won't see JB love, but it had a good run, and still performs strongly! :smileywink:

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Same here. I've taken mine away with us every second weekend for the past 18 months up to the farm in the Upper Hunter and hasn't missed a beat,.

Thanks
Jeff
Established Member
sandy79
0 Kudos

Did anybody's unlocked S2 got locked to Telstra's network after update like what happened with Vodafone branded handsets?

Established Member
nadedog
0 Kudos

Thanks Telstra for the update to my HTC one S. I was pleasantly surprised the update to 4.1.1 was available tonight. Happy days ! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Cyrus
0 Kudos

GS2 is updating hopefully will not have a hitch!! *fingers crossed*

Muithe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep, got crazy boot loop and com.android.phone kept crashing.
Had to do a full factory reset and clear the cache.

Hopefully it's going to behave itself now.

Edit: I've got a GS2, btw.

Another edit, a couple of hours later: Ha! Upside is muted phone = muted camera! Thanks for finally letting that stay the same as stock releases. :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Cyrus
0 Kudos

Been a date after the GS2 JB update working gr8
Occasional Visitor
jalati

Why not go to google's factory image page and bypass telstra alltogether? 

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

then use the toolkit to flash the latest stock google rom to your nexus.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614827

This way you will get the updates direct from google. :smileyvery-happy:

New Contributor
Daveee
0 Kudos

Seriously...when will you have the Xperia Z update which fixes a couple of issues?

New Contributor
Vo0do0
0 Kudos

4G or not 4G - That is the question!

[ Edited ]

Hello All: 

Is anyone able to tell me if the update:

Samsung Galaxy S2Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ updateApproved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor220/05/20133/06/2013Approved by Telstra 17 May

found in the device updates 21st May posted by CraigR will be for the 4G version or the 3G version of the Galaxy S2?

or will it be for both ?

Im hoping its for the 4G since ive found a lot of people on this forum posting comments about the new JB update for their S2

either being awesome or bricking their phone! :smileyhappy:

I hate all the innacurate information on the web about it, its coming, its not, it is it isnt,  i just want a solid reliable answer before i go out and create a new contract/plan.   

Established Member
sandy79
0 Kudos

Re: 4G or not 4G - That is the question!

It is for 3G

New Contributor
Vo0do0
0 Kudos

any idea if there are plans for a 4G version ?

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Quick question regarding Telstra's 3G S3 - when are we getting the new firmware which has been rolled out across the world which is meant to fix Touchwiz refreshing and reloading widgets all the time??? Do I need to root my device to fix this?????? How has Vodafone released it and Telstra hasnt?

Jackau

Hi, would like to know When the 7.8 can be deployed for the lumia 610, it claims to have some issues ... then it means he 3rd May so called deployment dont work... 

it has been 3 weeks since the problem was 'found'.  since it is a software issue, it should be fixed fast... :smileysad:

please update...

mrivory

I love that we get some updates from Craig in his spare time. It is much appreciated.

From a corporate (Telstra) point of view, it is disappointing to have NO explanation as to what is happening with the Titan II (4G) update. It hasnt changed in absolute months. It is a great phone - but it would be even better with 7.8.

Telstra (not just Craig) can you avise?

I mean I see other people just bought a HTC One Android complaining they have no update and their phone is barely a month old. What about us who have had the HTC Titan 4G since May-June 2012? Can we get at least one update before our contract runs out?

Kudos to Craig for his effort

Frequent Visitor
gcof
0 Kudos

Hi i recently upgraded my Galaxy S2 to 4.1.2 and now whenever i try and go into my photo gallery it wont let me in and says "storage is too full delete photos docs etc." the only problem is i can't get into them to delete any. I have trie also deleting files through Kies Air and through the USB device but both will not let me delete.

I have restored my phone to factory settings and that did not help either. This is really frustrating and would loe any help and advice!

Honoured Contributor
Jupiter
0 Kudos

Are your photos stored on the internal memory or a micro-SD card?  If they are stored on a micro-SD card, take it out of the phone and plug it in to your computer to move to photos off.

Contributor
the_seal18

Craig,

Do we hare any information on what is causing the long delay with the HTC titan 4G there has been the same note on your schedule since March, customers have been requesting information on this and getting no feedback, could you please assist.

theozsnowman

yes whats goign on with the Titan 4G?

we paid premium rates for what was the flagship 4G windows phone at the time and seem to be getting stuffed around...

Occasional Visitor
Cmatt12
0 Kudos

I have a Samsung GS2 Telstra prepaid and I still have not received an update yet, I am still running on 4.0.3?
Does anyone know how I can get the update?
Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

Daveee wrote:

No Xperia Z update?

Daveee wrote:

Seriously...when will you have the Xperia Z update which fixes a couple of issues?

Guys, the Xperia Z update just came out...

Android Update for Xperia Z.png

Screenshot_2013-06-09-10-34-01.png

You should have seen a notification at the top of the screen in your notification tray/status bar as I did this morning... If not, you can manaully check for updates (Settings-->About phone-->Software update-->refresh arrow in the top-right corner) or check for updates via Sony PC Companion (available via the Sony Mobile Web site).

gpriaulx

After owning a Titan 4g from Telstra; I will never buy a phone from a carrier again. Out of interest has any other Titan 4G owner contacted Microsoft or HTC about this?

gpriaulx

I should have done this from the get-go, works great on my Titan 4g. http://dev.sharpdnm.com/sharp7eighter/

Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

gpriaulx wrote:

I should have done this from the get-go, works great on my Titan 4g. http://dev.sharpdnm.com/sharp7eighter/

That's a heck of a find gpriaulx.

From what I can see, it forces updates via cabinet (".cab") files, which were used heavily for updates in Windows Mobile and Pocket PC before it (Windows CE typically used them for applications, not updates)... Which in turn is what Windows Phone 7.x is based off.

This will work fine for Windows 7.x, but don't expect an update to Windows 8.x anytime soon - it's based of Windows 8, which is completely different "behind the scenes".

Still, it's neat that someone is offering a way around the update delays...

Char
0 Kudos

Has anybody else had issues with the Samsung Galaxy S2 update? My battery life has halved since the update, it's terrible!
Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

Not too sure about the Galaxy S II update, but the wife and I both think the usage times on the Xperia Z are slightly less with the new update shown above... Comments on most community Web sites seem to suggest that most Xperia Z users share this view.