CROWDSUPPORT ®

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Handset updates - 21 October

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

See below for latest telstra device updates.

Handset

Update

Status

Expected test rounds

Expected approval date

Expected customer availability date

Notes

Nokia Lumia 520

Windows Phone GDR2 update

Now available

18/09/2013

10/10/2013

HTC 8X

Windows Phone GDR3 update

Waiting for initial vendor submission

TBC

TBC

Test submission expected in late November

HTC 8S

Windows Phone GDR3 update

TBC

TBC

Test submission expected in late November

Blackberry Q10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

First round testing

28/10/2013

11/11/2013

Update received and in test

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry OS 10.2 update

First round testing

28/10/2013

11/11/2013

Update received and in test

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G

Android 4.3 update

11/11/2013

25/11/2013

Test submission expected 25 October

Samsung Galaxy S3

Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update

11/11/2013

25/11/2013

Test submission expected 25 October

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Visitor
Fallen_Dragon

Re: Handset updates - 21 October

So, can you give us a date for the HTC One Android 4.3 update, that T-mobile rolled out today?

shauno1000

Hi Yannick/CraigR,

So is the update for Galaxy S3 definately 4.2.2 or 4.3? as i thought Samsung's intention was to upgrade to 4.3 (i.e. for Samsung Gear compatibility etc) and skip 4.2.2

Regards

Shaun

Regular Visitor
mm99

No Galaxy S4 Update?????
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

+1 for more info on the s3 update. All reports suggest 4.3 is coming early/mid November for unbranded handsets. ( or for those not afraid to manually update ), I wonder if its a typo?
New Contributor
cdayo

can someone please explain why telstra is behind both Optus and  Vodafone in the latest firmware version for Xperia Z?

- the one on the other carriers provides much needed enhancements... where is it? SURELY Sony would've given you the same update that BOTH optus and vodafone got...

Sony XPERIA Z

Australia               Generic AU                  10.3.1.A.2.67    

Australia               Optus AU                     10.3.1.A.2.67   

Australia               Telstra AU                    10.3.A.0.423  ------- WHY?

Australia               Vodafone AU               10.3.1.A.2.67    

Please see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2315914

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Telstra is up to .257 I think, I have .67 unbranded on my Telstra z and it seems same as last one.
Honoured Contributor
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Dissapointing to see NO mention of the 4.3 upgrade for the HTC One. Optus announced the upgrade a week or so ago!

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark your question as SOLVED.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Occasional Contributor
machunter46
0 Kudos

Does the expected handset update cover the 4g version of the Galaxy S3

backupbear
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you give any updates on when or if the LG Optimus G 975K will get an update beyond its current 4.1.2?

Cheers.

Established Member
Japandaman
0 Kudos

No KitKat for the S4?
Contributor
icanfly77

dude Kit Kat has not even been release by Google yet..

quite pleased to see note 2 getting 4.3 update
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Lol @ japandaman, once Google release it, then Samsung modify and rerelease it, then Telstra test and apprive ityou will probably get it.... In about a year or so
aujy
0 Kudos

Can you tell us anything about the HTC One XL update 5.08.841.3 that has been rolled out?

Established Member
Rustynote
0 Kudos

You can get Android Kit Kat at Woolworths..

Mmm... chocolatey....

Occasional Contributor
PALADiN
0 Kudos

Any info on the Lumia 920 GDR3 update (AKA Lumia Black)?

shauno1000
0 Kudos

Yannick has just confirmed that the update for the Galaxy S3 is not a typo and it is 4.2.2 and not 4.3. Pretty strange why Samsung aren't updating these models to 4.3 at this stage.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Id say samsung are having problems going from 4.1.2 to 4.3 so have to install 4. 2.2 as a stepping stone
Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

Would think that it wont long (if they haven't already) before Nokia give Telstra the Black update. All depends on how long Telstra take to test it.
It's not on the list above(I was hoping to see it for 920 & 1020) so its not looking promising for an imminent release(Unlike some HTC 8x & 8s in the US that are already getting the GDR3 update. Sprint Mobile carrier I think).

Hopefully Telstra Don't take so long to test this update as they have with others
Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Occasional Contributor
GvhftrKijl
0 Kudos

The 4.3 upgrade for the Note 2 is welcome news - hoping that it will go according to plan (or at worst doesn't slip too badly) - I'm eyeing off a Galaxy Gear for Christmas! ;-)
danmac
0 Kudos

So does this mean you've given up on the GDR2 update for the HTC 8S?

Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

I believe HTC themselves decided to wait for GDR3. I don't think it was Telstra specific.
Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

Looks like they may be the First to receive GDR3 though.

JB81
0 Kudos

Yeah cdayo I am in the same boat - pretty much the rest of the world has the new update but only a coupl of carriers in a few countries, including Telstra, still have the older firmware. My guess is Telstra has no plan for updating soon so might look into a manual update - you can do it without rooting.
New Contributor
cdayo
0 Kudos

@ JB81 - u can update Xperia Z without rooting? how? where?

All I want is a reason/explanation from Telstra as to why they are one of only a few carriers IN THE WORLD to not deliver on this update. A simple "we are not as competent as other carriers, if you want timely updates, we sugest you find another carrier" will do. Sigh.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

@Cdayo, type 'flash xperia z .67 firmware' into google search, easy as. No root necessary until you unlock bootloader (also easy) and want to flash custom roms.
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Flashing firmware WILL VOID YOUR TELSTRA WARRANTY, so do it at your own risk.
New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Did Telstra received the 4.2.2 update for the S3 on Friday?
Established Member
Helix192
0 Kudos

Please tell me that Telstra will work hard to bring GDR3 to the HTC 8X!
Proud Windows Phone supporter!
Never Your Hero.
The Third Helix

HTC HD2
HTC Mozart
HTC HD7
HTC 8X (current)
Regular Visitor
Mark987
0 Kudos

Thanks for providing these updates.

Can you please advise if we can expect any further updates for the Galaxy Nexus, as it is still on 4.1.2 and 4.4 is expected to be released shortly.

Thanks & Regards

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Can craigr or yannick confirm as to why telstra are updating the s3 to 4.2.2 when everywhere else will be releasing 4.3?
Occasional Contributor
kroonys3
0 Kudos

Any news on my crumpet toaster?
Contributor
beetle84

You have to love the communication we receive from the hard working updates team....
Contributor
icanfly77
0 Kudos

Hows testing for 4.3 on the Galaxy Note 2 4g going?

Was the firmware received as expected from Samsung and testing currently underway?

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Hi, it's been over two weeks since the last update. Could you please give us some information regarding the 4.2.2 update for the S3? Is it possible to get some more information or someone to review this forum? The lack of information is forcing people to manually root and update their device that way.

The S3 hasn't been updated since January and the current memory management is a joke.

Occasional Visitor
RobySoft
0 Kudos

Hi, do we have a date for JB 4.3 to be released for the Samsung S4?

Thanks

Established Member
edac
0 Kudos

Hi Craig you guys need to hire , Telstra sells this hardware willingly but fall way behind in the update department . The updates are often as important as the hardware in giving your customers what they are buying . Case inpoint , Samsung galaxy Nexus . All these people here come here with legitimate questions affecting their phones & are getting no answers . I had huge issues with the nexus , called for help & tried online chat . No clue whatsoever . No communication is worse than bad news . Now , any word on the Sony Z1 update & Galaxy Note 2 4.3 ? Thanks 

SimmyMelb
0 Kudos

Where's the new update, I thought these were supposed to come fortnightly, AS A MINIMUM?

XG
XG
0 Kudos

Is Telstra going to offer the nexus 5 from google at any stage in the very near future?

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

It seems to have got worse and worse. Started with weekly, then monthly and now it's looking like we get an update every 6 weeks!!!

I don't care what the information is but give us an update so we know what's happening, this is the worst carrier experience I've had! Even Vodafone can do it!!!

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=...

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

Thank you for the honest feedback muzza and i am sorry we have not maintain the updates as promised. We need to step it up and at a minimum post an updated even if we don't have good news.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

New Contributor
muzza
0 Kudos

Agreed Yannick. Any news is better than no news.

Established Member
Rustynote
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Agreed. How long does it take to type "Sorry folks. Nothing new to report"...

Occasional Contributor
onethreealpha
0 Kudos

..... nothing but the chirping of crickets.....

Great work team. You must all be so proud of yourselves. At least you're consistent :/

Established Member
edac
0 Kudos

Hello..hello...hello...( diminishing echo into the nothing-ness that is the information feedback here ) 

Any update on the updates ? Cheers 

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

We are due to provide a new device update later this week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

You can also find us on:

Established Member
edac
0 Kudos

Thanks Yannick , sorry to be a smart alec . Trying to add a little humor to my frustrations . The updates are as important as the hardware to functionality alot of times , and this is the last & most accurate port of call to find out what is going on . If we get no answers here , we call & are told to look here ect... Cheers  

Honoured Contributor
Wanglese

I'm VERY interested in the kit-kat update. I know it's early, but there are a few bells and whistles I'd like to have on the Sony Xperia Z   :smileytongue:

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

If I or ANYONE has provided a solution to your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution. This helps others who may come along after you.

Have you tried typing in the "How can we help you?", or "Search this forum" field, right at the top of every page of CrowdSupport? and pressing "Find Answers" You might find that your issue has been solved, or is already being discussed.
Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

@edac
This Community board is defiantly the only place where you can get the latest and most accurate information relating to Telstra devices and it’s a shame we don't get more updates out more regularly. Craig and i are working on a process to improve the frequency even when we don't have much to provide.

You can also find us on:

Occasional Contributor
karan
0 Kudos

Hi Yannick
I was wondering if Telstra is planning to skip Android 4.3 and will straight jump to 4.4 kitkat upgrade?