Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR
0 Kudos

Handset updates - 22 October

Hi all,

There are a number of changes and new additions in this update. The two new entries are the Android Jelly Bean 4.1 update for the Motorola RAZR HD  and the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 update for the Sony Xperia U. At this stage we are planning for a 2-cycle process for each of these which will mean deployment will commence in mid-December. If the opportunity arises to shorten this process then we will do so and advise of revised timelines through this forum.

Unfortunately we have a delay in the submission of the second round of firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S 2 4G Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 update – this has further slipped the approval and deployment dates by another week. On a more positive note the Android Jelly Bean 4.1 update for the Samsung Galaxy S 3 was submitted on 19 October and is currently in test.

The Nokia N8 PR 3.1 “Belle Refresh” approval and deployment dates have also been included.

That’s all for this week. As always let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Update status for this week*:

Handset  Update Status Expected test rounds Expected approval date Expected customer availability date Notes
HTC EVO 3D Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Now available 3 8/10/2012 12/10/2012 Now deploying
HTC One XL Android 4.0.4 update Now available 1 2/10/2012 3/10/2012 Now deploying
Samsung Galaxy S 3 Bugfix update only Now available 1 26/09/2012 27/09/2012 Now deploying
Nokia N8 PR 3.1 "Belle Refresh" First round testing 1 29/10/2012 12/11/2012 Update received and in test
Samsung Galaxy S2 4G  Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Waiting for second FW submission 2 12/11/2012 26/11/2012 Samsung have delayed the second software submission until 26 October
Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 November TBC Samsung is preparing an update but has slipped the test submission. Current estimate for submission is 26 October. Customer availability dates TBC
HTC One XL Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC is preparing a submission for late October, Customer availability expected before end-2012
HTC One S Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC is preparing a submission for late October, Customer availability expected before end-2012
HTC Desire S Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC is preparing an update but is yet to confirm the date it will be submitted for Telstra testing.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update First round testing 2 3/12/2012 17/12/2012 Update received 19 October and in test
Sony Xperia U Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update First round testing 2 3/12/2012 17/12/2012 Update received and in test
Motorola RAZR HD Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update First round testing 2 3/12/2012 17/12/2012 Update received and in test

* - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change.

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Regular Visitor
bennyh

Re: Handset updates - 22 October

Can you please explain why two software submissions are required for the Samsung Galaxy S2 4G? My expectation after the initial release was that it was up to Telstra to expedite the release, and now all we see is further delays.

This phone is not fit for purpose (I cannot use 4G without the phone locking up several times daily), and I've been waiting patiently in the hope that ICS will solve the problem.

Can you please recommend another course of action to rectify the problem. The T-Life store told me they'd send the phone off for at least 2 weeks which is unacceptable.

Occasional Contributor
No_Underscore

Poor form Samsung, Poor form!!

Updating the SGS3 ahead of a Nexus device!!!

Contributor
Aydan_H

Been waiting for this post, thanks Craig. Good to see s iii has had jelly bean submitted but poor performance to samsung for not just sending the **bleep** stock image for the gnex

Contributor
Magikarp

[ Edited ]

Of course the mythical and possibly non-existent ICS update for the Galaxy S2 4G has been delayed.

Delays are what Telstra does best it seems. From the shoddy service I've been getting with the BigPond Cable plan we signed up for in August (and haven't recieved yet) to handset updates (although Samsung is also to blame here).

Woo! Go Telstra!

Contributor
maxwellnotsmart

S2 4G = massive DUD. You burned us. Badly. 03/12 ,still running Gingerbread, no ICS released yet, not even a mention of JellyBean release for it. As a goodwill gesture, you should allow the people who brought this to exchange for an S3 4G and then just drop all these in a recycle box.
Contributor
Magikarp

[ Edited ]

maxwellnotsmart wrote:
S2 4G = massive DUD. You burned us. Badly. 03/12 ,still running Gingerbread, no ICS released yet, not even a mention of JellyBean release for it. As a goodwill gesture, you should allow the people who brought this to exchange for an S3 4G and then just drop all these in a recycle box.

Wishful thinking. It'll never happen. No, instead you'll have to pay full price for the S3 4G. Then realise that after JB, it's not going to get Key Lime Pie or any other update.

See, by the looks of things, Telstra 4G handsets are simply "throw out to Telstra and abandon because they're an insignificant carrier on a global scale" handsets. Hell, even their NEXUS device doesn't have the update. And that's not even a 4G phone or modified by the manufacturers with all the additional bloat - it's just pure stock Android.

Super Contributor
haydencoonan

You're kidding right? Is this what passes for customer service for the SGSII 4G?

I'm now stuck in 4g range at work and even with juice defender and minimum use the phone didn't make it to lunch time!
Contributor
Pilotboy84

Hayden, I'm waiting for Ben to pipe up and say "blah blah blah, samsungs fault, blah blah blah, Telstra can't do anything, blah blah blah"

Craig, no offence meant by this but what the fk is going on. I mean come on. This is now going into the 6th fkn month. Thank christ i put a TIO complaint in. Maybe that way we might see some resolution on this POS phone
Contributor
Bomples

[ Edited ]

Awww, Galaxy Nexus still waiting? I understand the S3 is Samsung's flagship phone and they must put those customers first, but still this is a poor effort considering Google updated the same phone months ago! I just don't understand the hold up? it's suppose to be a stock Google phone and other then adding Telstra's specific customizations (which wouldn't be much) why do they need even longer then the S3 (which has TouchWiz etc to be added)?? makes no **bleep** sense! really wish Google would step in and tell Samsung to pull their heads in...

<rant> I can tolerate this behaviour on an OEM device (like the S3 for example) but on a Nexus device I cannot tolerate it one bit! Samsung are causing fragmention across the Nexus brand and are failing to hold up to what a Nexus device is suppose to deliver. I'm glad LG is rumored to get the next Nexus phone because Samsung performed badly as a Nexus OEM (which worries me about the rumored Samsung Nexus 10 tablet) </rant>

Contributor
Aydan_H
0 Kudos

I don't see why people are so agitated about the nexus about (well i can but thats not the point). all people have to do is download the stock google image and flash it, thats it. problem solved

Contributor
Pilotboy84
0 Kudos

So Craig, what the reason this time for the delay? Was it Felix's skydive, or maybe the PM's joining on the UN Security Council? Or was it because of Aliens obducting the techies who were writing the program?

Yes I am being condscending because now the blame, imho, falls onto Telstra. It's as simple as that. No If's Buts or Maybe's. I mean come on. It's beyond the realms of "coming soon" and now entered the "taking the piss" phase.
Super Contributor
haydencoonan

So by this standard I can be 6 months late paying my mobile bill without penalty?
Contributor
Pilotboy84

They are quick to want money, but not quick to provide what they promised hey hayden
Contributor
Pilotboy84
0 Kudos

When Telstra call me tomorrow, I will be demanding (yes, demanding) a few things so ALL of us SGSII 4G owners will benefit. Otherwise I will also go to the Fair Trading Commision.

As was promised in the beginning, telstra are still yet to provide me with the ICS update that they said will "be here within a few weeks", and as it hasn't happen IMHO Telstra has LIED to consumers. Grounds for termination in my books. If i don't provide what i have contractually agreed i will provide, then thats grounds for a breech of the contract, and as such, can be terminated.
Contributor
Bomples

[ Edited ]

I don't see why people are so agitated about the nexus about (well i can but thats not the point). all people have to do is download the stock google image and flash it, thats it. problem solved

I've always seen that as a cop out personally. Yes, you *could* flash the stock Google image on the device and get around the issue but you'll void your warranty and there are no guarantees your device will work correctly after it (as it won't contain any of the optimisations for the Telstra network). So you’re essentially playing Russian roulette with your phone and maybe you get lucky and it works or maybe it doesn't and you brick your phone or something in-between.

The point of a Nexus device was to avoid all that messing around and get the updates directly. Google's decision to break the Nexus into essentially 2 separate phones, with one supported directly by them and the other by the OEM (Samsung) still confounds me. All I can say with certainty is the chances I'll get another Nexus device are very slim. If I'm going to be forced to root/flash the device to get updates, might as well just choose one of the other myriad of Android devices available rather than specifically a Nexus one.

aneks80
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see the S3 getting the 4.1 Jellybean update.. I mean it's about time! I know most people are still waiting for an ICS update on some handsets, let alone Jellybean but Telstra received the software on the 19th of October and the expected customer avilability is the 17th of December? Does it really take almost 2 months to test the software? It already works on the S3 4G as far as I know? 

Contributor
Aydan_H
0 Kudos

The s3 and s34g have different kernels and baseband. So, they have to prepare a different kernel and baseband firmware for the s3. So they can't just install the s34g version on the s3

Occasional Contributor
pcoussa

+1 @hayden
Occasional Contributor
No_Underscore
0 Kudos

Bomples wrote:

I've always seen that as a cop out personally. Yes, you *could* flash the stock Google image on the device and get around the issue but you'll void your warranty and there are no guarantees your device will work correctly after it (as it won't contain any of the optimisations for the Telstra network). So you’re essentially playing Russian roulette with your phone and maybe you get lucky and it works or maybe it doesn't and you brick your phone or something in-between.

because the Telstra testing department doesn't have much on at the moment : þ

... it would be nice if they could flash one of the G Nexus with the stock image and run it against through threir testing and inform us how it goes and what elements do not pass etc...
New Contributor
Bolsty
0 Kudos

I assume the desire S wont be getting ICS anytime soon, its been on the 'tbc' for quite some time now.

New Contributor
vaston

I feel the frustration for all the S2 4G users having had one till about 2 months ago. I submitted mine for fault to Telstra for battery issues four times before being offered a new phone. It was extremely frustrating and it meant that I did not have my phone for about 7 weeks in total whilst it was in repairs. Amusingly I had the Galaxy Ace and that worked better than the S2 4G.

I went with the HTC One XL which is a significantly better phone given it has ICS. It's a shame because by wider reports the S2 4G works fluidly with ICS.

StuGatz83
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I know its very frustrating that these updates are taking for ever to be released from Samsung/Telstra so I would suggest at your own risk put on an official Jelly Bean firmware release ie:smileysad: The Poland Release)  which dosnt need any rooting and is extremely simple to do.

Alot of people have been running it for weeks on Telstra and have had no problems at all, its actually probably alot better than the Telstra releases anyway because it dosnt come with all the bloatware.

Ive listed some links for the S3 below if any is interested, theres also step by steps for Nexus and so on out there...

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/20121003-install-jelly-bean-samsung-galaxy-s3-right-now-without...

Contributor
Mickb83
0 Kudos

I find it interesting the people that believe that getting an upgrade to either ICS or JB will fix battery life for 4G phones.

I've owned the HTC Velocity which started on GB and then upgraded to ICS. After upgrading to ICS I found the battery life reduce dramatically and reception drop severely for 4G.

Pre ICS the phone was able to obtain decent 4G reception and about 10hrs or so battery life with approx. 1-1 1/2hr screen on time and mobile data on all day.

Post ICS I was lucky to get from 7:30am - 2:30/3pm on a full charge with barely any 4g coverage and the same screen on time.

Now I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (after upgrading due to a lack of an update on the Velocity) which is running JB 4.1.1.

Now I get full 4G reception where I barely was able to maintain even 3G on the velocity, the downside is it eats battery like nothing else. I can go from 100% battery at 7:30am when i leave for work to 80% by 9am while running MOG with the screen off on my drive to work (about 15-20mins) depending on traffic and then checking Facebook, emails and a few forum posts using tapatalk.

Then by midday I'm normally needing to charge the phone, so what's that.... 4 1/2hrs?

Yet on the weekend i was able to get nearly 10hrs while using only wifi (no mobile data) and still around 1 1/2-2hrs screentime.

I'm currently sitting on 47% battery after fully charging my phone before leaving work at 5pm so that's nearly 6hrs and 20mins, and I've been on wifi for about 6hrs of that and have 2hrs 10mins screen on time.

It needs to be understood that 4G WILL eat battery no matter what phone and what firmware you're running.

It is a reality we will all need to accept sooner or later unless larger batteries become available that will give better battery life, the current firmwares (JB or ICS) on the market do not improve battery life, regardless of the manufacturer that has released them.
Super Contributor
haydencoonan

Mickb83 - I raised this with Samsung too - that they put essentially a 3g battery in a 4g phone, and then said it would last..

It was never going to happen, and is a fail of design!  I never really notice how bad it is until I get work in the CBD, and watch the life drain out of my battery before my eyes..

The supposed improvements from ICS can't hurt...  We at least want to know, and I think it's fair to ask for some support and respect on the matter, and having to wait 6 months + for a verbally promised update, isn't showing that...

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

All,

Just to advise, I recently had my iPhone declared "Not Fit for Purpose" due to it failing to meet the advised figures on the Apple Website (I've now moved to a Moto Razr HD, few bugs but way better battery life). This didn't require a call to the TIO, it required a call to Complaints.

If you are concerned the phone you were sold is not fit for purpose, please start by lodging a complaint at http://telstra.com.au/complaints . If you don't get any satisfaction after the maximum 20 day turnaround time then I would consider taking the matter to the TIO.

I was going to get a Samsung phone, but after the disgraceful conduct by Samsung (Note: I don't blame Telstra for these updates, if the dates slip its hard to demand something when your small fry in the scheme of things) they won't ever get my business.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Contributor
Pilotboy84
0 Kudos

MickB83.

I agree with your post to some degree, but my battery life issues is under 3G, 3.5g & HSDPA. When a phome cant last an entire day under 3g conditions then herein lies a massive fault.

Ben
I had contacted the complaints department to be essentially told to wait. Delays are not what is needed here, especially after having to wait nigh on 6 months. After waiting since mid august i think i had the right to go to the ombudsman.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Pilotboy - if the complaints team (where you get an SR number as a reference) refused to agree that the phone was not fit for purpose, then you are fine to go to the TIO as you have not been offered a decent resolution. But going to the TIO won't get the update sooner, you should be able to send the handset back as not fit for purpose and choose if you acquire a new handset.

New Users - Click Here!

Ben_F
0 Kudos

The point I'm making is that the TIO can't dictate to Telstra the release of handset updates..... Nor can the complaints team at Telstra

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
fcosenti
0 Kudos

Just a note to say that I am also very disappointed to have to wait 2 further months to get Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3.

In my case, it is not because I want "the latest and greatest", rather I am hoping for more serious fixes, like:

1. Many times, when switching from WiFi to 3G, the phone just hangs. I have to remove the battery to recover.

2. Skype works very poorly - this could be blamed on them, but I am still hoping that a new firmware would make things better.

3. Ui and keyboard entry are not as smooth as it could be in many instances, for example when using predictive links in Google while typing, hoping for "project butter" to improve this. I have a Google Nexus 7 and it simply flies.

BTW - the Nexus 7 is already at 4.1.2, got the update a few days ago.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

6 weeks for testing is normal (refer http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Device-Updates-Important-Info-amp-Terminology/t... )

2 Weeks for 1st round Testing, 2 weeks for any fixes required, and 2 weeks for 2nd round testing (ie: it goes through 2 testing runs just to be sure).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
fcosenti
0 Kudos

So how is it possible that they could not find originally the Wifi/3G switch bug? It is very annoying. BTW - my WiFi is the state-of-the-art Asus RT-N66U router with latest firmware.

All you have to do is to go in/out of coverage of the WiFi network a few times and it will indeed occur.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

fcosenti wrote:

So how is it possible that they could not find originally the Wifi/3G switch bug? It is very annoying. BTW - my WiFi is the state-of-the-art Asus RT-N66U router with latest firmware.

All you have to do is to go in/out of coverage of the WiFi network a few times and it will indeed occur.

How many people use that specific Modem/Router however?

Just because it's state of the art, doesn't mean that everyone is testing against it. Even in testing, some things get missed :smileysad:

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Occasional Contributor
pcoussa
0 Kudos

@fsosenti - Mate where did you end up buyinmg your Nexus 7?

New Contributor
fcosenti
0 Kudos

That router works perfectly with every possible mix of devices I have been throwing at it, including iPhones, but the S3 tends to crash during the transition from WiFi to 3G.

Mate, I bought the Nexus 7 on www.kogan.com.au I got it in a few days, shipped from Hong Kong.

SemiConscious

I've had my SG2 $G (not a typo) for a couple of months now, im starting to think it was a complete waste of monies.

It's getting frustrating as many NEW apps are only supported on ICS or JB (4.0 or greater). This is obviously going to get worse as 4.0 & 4.1 become the new norm.

Dispite the release of ICS on the 19th October 2011 we now wait for another month of testing, meaning we are going to be running a two year old OS (Gingerbread was released in December 2010, you'd remember it if you tried, Qatar stole bought our world cup a couple of days earlier, Mark what'shisfacebookname was named Person of the year, Remember?) in about 6 weeks time.

I am a member of many technology based websites and i KNOW that Jelly Bean (4.1!!) can be installed an works with little fuss. but we still sit waiting for ICS...

WTF Telstra.

Occasional Contributor
jimbo85

It would appear if you read posts on the XDA-developers forums that they have been able to achieve good battery life for the S2 4G using the CM10 rom and dreamkernel.  So the question many people would be asking is that if any developer off the street can pick up the source code, compile their own kernel, and get 2+ days off a battery with moderate use then why cant Samsung?  I'm sure they are paying people considerable sums to do what a bored app developer can do in their spare time.  And the fact is, Samsung have spent months on this and achieved much less.

New Contributor
zelamahi
0 Kudos

Where do I sign up to be a Telstra firmware tester? Anything I can do to help get the 4.1 update to the RAZR HD sooner :smileyhappy:

Ben_F
0 Kudos

zelamahi wrote:

Where do I sign up to be a Telstra firmware tester? Anything I can do to help get the 4.1 update to the RAZR HD sooner :smileyhappy:

zelamahi wrote:

I wish, but due to the potential for faults IM told this will never happen :smileysad:

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
zelamahi
0 Kudos

Well hopefully MOTO got it right the first time and no changes need to be made in round 1.

Ben_F

zelamahi wrote:

Well hopefully MOTO got it right the first time and no changes need to be made in round 1.

Isn't Moto now owned by Google? I would hope their updates are pretty good :smileyhappy:

New Users - Click Here!

Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

You'd think that Ben.. But the only difference I've seen is Google sacking a heap of Motorola staff..
Occasional Contributor
f12003_ga
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hello   ben_F

when Telstra releases JB to the public do we get the  full version of it or Telstra takes some features out. Hopefully Google now is in it and butter project etc... Thanks.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

Telstra doesn't directly change the code. It's up to the manufacturer to decide what features to provide :smileyhappy:

New Users - Click Here!

Contributor
Pilotboy84
0 Kudos

Well after speaking to a senior case manager today, the case has been solved. The issues with battery life is known to telstra and my case wasnt an isolated incident. I have now got the option to choose a new phone as even the manager said that the "phone isnt fit for purpose".
Occasional Contributor
f12003_ga
0 Kudos

Ben_F wrote:
Telstra doesn't directly change the code. It's up to the manufacturer to decide what features to provide :smileyhappy:

will I hope not! Thanks mate. 

Contributor
Aydan_H
0 Kudos

@STuGatz83, I tried that the other day. It works like a charm and had no problems as of yet apart from having to manually add the APNS. other than that small hiccup, works flawlessly :smileyvery-happy:
Occasional Visitor
androidanalyse
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know this is a long shot, but any chance Telstra can make a Jelly Bean S3 ROM available for download that doesn't have all the unwanted "crapps" on it?

Seriously, nobody uses those, and it's just one of many reasons why a lot of us resort to XDA Devs for a custom ROM that gives us something close to a stock experience.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Loving 4G.

New Contributor
kraigg

Pilotboy84 wrote:
Well after speaking to a senior case manager today, the case has been solved. The issues with battery life is known to telstra and my case wasnt an isolated incident. I have now got the option to choose a new phone as even the manager said that the "phone isnt fit for purpose".

That's great, Pilotboy. Glad to know there was a good outcome in the end. Since this is now a known issue to Telstra, do you think they will also give other Samsung Galaxy S2 4G owners the option to choose a new phone? I think we have a case just from false advertising, ie. "upgradeable to ICS in a couple of weeks", which has now turned into a 7 month (and possibly more) wait.

Contributor
Magikarp
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ben_F wrote:

zelamahi wrote:

Isn't Moto now owned by Google? I would hope their updates are pretty good :smileyhappy:

I think it's too early to tell how updates are going to go now that Motorola is owned by Google. One would expect it'll be better, but I'm also aware that Google has the intent of having Motorola operate as if it was still just Motorola. You know, giving it no additional privileges and such.

I guess we'll wait and see, right?

Mind you, I'm going to be very interested as to how the updates for this one goes. I don't think I'll be buying Samsung again after being burned by the Galaxy S2 4G.