Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR
0 Kudos

Handset updates - 23 August

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

See below for latest telstra device updates.

Update status*:

Handset

Update

Status

Expected test rounds

Expected approval date

Expected customer availability date

Notes

Samsung Galaxy S 4

Android 4.2.2 ‘Jelly Bean Plus’ update

First round testing

26/08/2013

9/09/2013

Update received 19 July and currently in test. Telstra resource constraints have introduced a two week delay to approval/deployment

Sony Xperia Z

Approved by Telstra - waiting for deployment by vendor

5/08/2013

TBC

Update approved by Telstra 5 August - deployment dates TBC by Sony

Nokia Lumia 920

Windows Phone GDR2 update

Now available

5/08/2013

16/08/2013

Now available as an Over-The-Air update

Nokia Lumia 520

First round testing

TBC

TBC

Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval of this update.

HTC 8X

Waiting for second FW submission

TBC

TBC

Approved 26 July however due to issue identified by HTC a new FW version will be required

HTC 8S

First round testing

TBC

TBC

Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval of this update.

HTC One

Now available

29/07/2013

5/08/2013

Update approved by Telstra 289 July - now available as an Over-The-Air update

Blackberry Q10

Blackberry OS 10.1 update

First round testing

5/08/2013

19/08/2013

Blackberry submitted update 16 August. Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval/deployment of this update

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry OS 10.1 update

First round testing

5/08/2013

19/08/2013

Blackberry submitted update 16 August. Telstra resource constraints have delayed approval/deployment of this update

HTC One XL

First round testing

26/08/2013

2/09/2013

* - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
sstiwari
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 23 August

[ Edited ]

So,

In a nutshell, its going to be another 45 days at least for HTC 8X GDR2 update. Thats very unfortunate.

Anyways thanks for the updates.

SST

New Contributor
hbt15
0 Kudos

More delays across the board. Hopeless effort by the big T. No surprises though. Unbranded my GS4 via the service menu and installed unbranded firmware direct from Samsung knowing this would be delayed again. Quicker updates now and no more telstra bloatware. Happy days.
Occasional Contributor
Helix192
0 Kudos

Thank for the update. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
Gamer/ tech geek. -Lumia 930-
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Unbranded is the go, damn the man
watermelonpizza
0 Kudos

I own a Lumia 920, still haven't got the update. I have tried everything I can think of. Anyone else not getting the update??

New Contributor
mangis

I love how they've dropped the Titan 4G from the list even though it still isn't available despite what they say.
Valued Contributor
wpdownunder

+1 for Transparency. +1 for Honesty.

-1 for management not using HUGE mobile smartphone division profits and growth to plan for addtitional resources in this exponentially increasing area for your customers.

:smileyhappy:

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Windows 8 and Surface fan! Telstra Customer.
Blogger (click my profile for a link to my Windows Phone/MS site)
If you like my Microsoft (WP/Win8) posts here, consider Kudos+1
Established Member
Dave_0011
0 Kudos

Still no news on the S III 4.3 update, even though other countries have started rolling it out...

Contributor
the_seal18

I contacted HTC regarding my update for the HTC Titan 4g and gave them my IMEI number, they said i should already have the update according to my IMEI number and have given me a company to contact. Anyone who hasn't got there update may need to contact HTC too. Telstra obviously can't do this job for there own customer feeling very let down by my mobile provider. Guessing there are many more out there in the same situation.

New Contributor
mangis
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up the_seal18, I'll have to do the same.
New Contributor
julianfds
0 Kudos

I've got a Nexus 4 and I've been running Jelly Bean 4.3 since July 30...better than that, last Saturday it upgraded itself via OTA to build JWR66Y! Happy days indeed! :smileyhappy:
NantoCielens
0 Kudos

Anyone know if the 4.2.2 update for the hoxl will come with sense 5 or is that a separate update from htc? Glad to see it's on the list (even if it's not 4.3).
Dazzab
0 Kudos

Great to see the HTC One XL back in the list.

Looking forward to having my phone feel new again.

Well done Telstra and HTC.

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Dazzab,

Let us know how you go with the update when you receive it, Thanks Dazzab.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Super Contributor
pedah
0 Kudos

8X vs update hit unlocked phones earlier in the week, and all seems fine. Hope T is not going to hold off to long when HTC submits it to them. As for Titan4g, I used a tool from Windows Phone Hacker, called 7.8er, to update the OS, then when Telstra said the update was available, I got HTC firmware immediately. Easy to apply the update tool, don't need to be a tech wiz.
#WinPhan

HTC Tytn II, HTC HD2, HTC DesireHTC Mozart, HTC HD7, HTC Titan 4G, HTC 8X, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 1020, 1320, 930

Telstra Hero
Occasional Contributor
grandma
0 Kudos

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G (GT-I910T)    Ah ! The update that is written in invisible ink again.

Maybe the "Thought Leader" could lead some thoughts in our direction or maybe they went slightly astray and ended up in Sweden.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Dementia must be horrible, grandma
Occasional Contributor
grandma
0 Kudos
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Instead of posting heaps of links, bite the bullet and upgrade your phone or give up. This is a community based support forum, we cant make 4.2 appear on your phone.
Occasional Contributor
grandma
0 Kudos

Re: Delays with Galaxy S 2 4G/Galaxy Tab 8.9" ICS and Samsung Galaxy Nexus JB updates -
 on ‎04-03-2013 09:30 AM

I know they are different, but i was hoping this would promt some usefull and meaningfull dialogue from the powers that be, the mysterions from Telstra and Sumgsung. Just wishfull thinking from me and possibly some other S2 4G owners as well.

I wish the android programmers had followed the time proven method of backward compatability with the Bluetooth. Instead they went to Level 4 version and didn`t notify the rest of the world, that they would have to down-grade their phone software or just go out and buy a new car to have bluetooth devices working correctly before the ICS update. JellyBean 4.2.2 addresses the mess they created.

Meanwhile back to my prayers .............

Sorry I thought that this was crowd support, I`m obviously at the wrong place.

Established Member
dalesharp2009
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seriously how do we not even have 4.2.2 for the S4 yet, normally I don't care and just wait but we pay a premium price for Telstra service and most of us hope we actually get what we pay for but no, all the cheaper options, Vodafone, Optus and even the unbranded Aus S4 get the updates and yet because of the bloatware which noone actually wants we end up paying the most for the slowest service.

New Contributor
hbt15
0 Kudos

@dalesharp2009 - I 100% agree with you. I pay more for the S4 with Telstra than anyone else on another carrier and other than a bit better coverage the service as a whole, including these software updates is shocking. It's absolutely not acceptable. I ended up unbranding my handset and installing latest update manually but I would have rather avoided it if Telstra has simply got their s*it together.
Occasional Contributor
jase
0 Kudos

Don't suppose there's any chance of the s4 being able to have shortcuts on the lock screen like the international version.  I was gutted when I got it home and found I couldn't do it

danmac
0 Kudos

Guessing the delay for the 8X is related to this: http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-8x-receiving-new-update-to-fix-post-gdr2-lag-and-freezing-issues

"Despite being the first Windows Phone users to receive the GDR2 update, HTC 8X users were nonetheless given the short end of the stick again as some devices began to lock up and become completely unresponsive after the update had been installed."

mick077
0 Kudos

So what if its delayed. Its not up to Telstra to release the updates, if you want to blame anyone then blame the manufacturer of the phone you have. Telstra only tests the software to make sure it works sufficiently on the network. Just thought I'd put that out there.
New Contributor
cdayo
0 Kudos

Is mick077 actually serious or a huuuuge #*%**. If it wasn't telstras fault, please explain why Vodafone and Optus have released the latest firmware (10.3.1.A.0.244) for their xperia Z's, which solves sooooo many bugs and lag that the update Telstra has released (10.3.A.0.423). Why are Telstra xperia z's a version behind Vodafone and Optus? Is it sonys fault? Jesus Mick, get real.
Contributor
beetle84

Because vodafone and Optus release updates without as much testing as telstra or they have more staff working on updates? Im not sticking up for anyone here, I unbranded my xperia z so I didnt have to wait for telstra, im not saying telstra do anything special that the other two dont, its just a longer wait for some reason. And mick077 is right, telstra tests updates, manufacturers rollout updates, tuere is a difference
New Contributor
cdayo
0 Kudos

^ yeah... so it is telstras fault... for taking longer than the others (for whatever the reason might be - testing/bloating/etc.)... it's quite blatantly logical. mick077 is right that manufacteres are the ones to release it ultimately, but he is saying we can't blame telstra lol, when we clearly/logically can.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

You could blame Jesus or Santa Claus too but it wont help you, it will come when it comes
New Contributor
hbt15
0 Kudos

Mick and the others are right. The simple fact is, the delays are all Telstra's fault. There is no getting around this fact. HTC, Samsung etc all release a generic version of the software to the individual carriers and then the carriers do what they need to. Usually this involves adding their crappy apps and nothing more. Its not 2005 anymore. The whole 'we need to make sure its compatible with our network first' is garbage. Ive used custom roms for years and never had one that didnt fully work on telstra regardless of how crude the rom may have been. Other carriers release updates quicker because they just care more. It's simple as that. Telstra know most people are locked to them for the coverage so their incentive to push on updates is minimal. People go to optus and voda as its cheaper for the better phones so they keep them happy by getting updates out quick knowing they can't simply fall back on superior coverage like Telstra can.
Occasional Visitor
chef_adrian
0 Kudos

Any news about the one XL update?  Is it coming today?

Jase33
0 Kudos

Downloading the one xl update now.
CraigR
0 Kudos

A quick update:

The both the Sony Xperia Z and HTC One Xl Android 4.2.2 updates are now deploying as FOTA updates. The Xperia Z update commenced deploying on Friday 30 August and the HTC One XL started today.

CraigR

[ Edited ]

Hi hbt15,

I just need to point out a few things that may confuse others about the update process:

hbt15 wrote:
HTC, Samsung etc all release a generic version of the software to the individual carriers and then the carriers do what they need to. .

This is not correct. The device vendors release carrier specific versions  of the firmware to the carriers according to their own schedules. To the best of my knowledge they do not release "generic versions" to any carriers. Certainly not to Telstra. All up the Telstra testing for a device update will take 2 weeks and now we aim to do only a single round of testing for all updates (I need to update the "Important info an terminology" post to reflect this change - haven't had time so far)

Also, Telstra does not "do" anything to the firmware of any device. As mentioned in other posts the device manufacturer is the only one that can change the device firmware in any way or pre-load any application. In Telstra's case the only pre-loaded application is the "Telstra One" app.

I can assure you that many serious issues are discovered during the test phase. These include problems with interacting with the network (which is getting more complex on an almost daily basis), compliance to regulatory requirements around emergency calling, stability issues, performance issues etc. etc.

hbt15 wrote:
Telstra know most people are locked to them for the coverage so their incentive to push on updates is minimal. .

I can assure you this is not the case. Getting device updates out to customers as fast as possible is one of our top priorities. We do everything we can to do this in a timely manner. Sometimes we simply don't have enough resources to get everything done on time - this is particularly true at this time of year with the run in to Christmas. When we have to delay an update it is not something that we do lightly. From a personal standpoint as the one who has to manage the respective priorities of the testing team it pains me deeply when I have to make the call to delay an update due to reasons from the Telstra side.

I hope this helps people to understand a little better the process behind releasing device updates .

Dazzab
0 Kudos

Joe,

The update went very smoothly, I'm really enjoying the new features, will take a few days to really get used to it and see if there are any issues.  I'm also hoping for much better battery life, as some have reported on other devices running 4.2.2.

yvpan1
0 Kudos

thanks for the support to the Z10 & the Q10. awaiting the new BB10.1 MR update. cheers Telstra!!

sstiwari
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Any updates on HTC 8X GDR2 update. Has the firmware been re-submitted by HTC to Telstra for Testing.

Thanks

New Contributor
bazinga
0 Kudos

Is there any link to exactly what changes the new 4.2.2 update has for the S4,

New Contributor
Worm
0 Kudos

Well after 2 months or more of being told via this forum that the htc titan 4G uodate was available i am still yet to se it, my question ia WHY

Occasional Collector
DAWOOKIE
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hope HTC are not planning this for Telstra as well.

http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-throws-a-hissy-fit-cancels-wp8-gdr2-update-for-the-htc-8x/

Contributor
PALADiN
0 Kudos

DAWOOKIE wrote:

I hope HTC are not planning this for Telstra as well.

http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-throws-a-hissy-fit-cancels-wp8-gdr2-update-for-the-htc-8x/

I daresay you'll find it's because of this mentioned earler in the thread.

http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-8x-receiving-new-update-to-fix-post-gdr2-lag-and-freezing-issues