Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Handset updates - 9 August 2012

Hello.

Welcome to the new device updates area of CrowdSupport and to this, the first of our new weekly posts where we’ll update you on the latest news and information relating to handset updates.

I work in the devices team and together with my two colleagues, IamDavid and SrinjoyD, we’ll be here to share information on all the latest device updates currently either in test, scheduled for testing or recently approved as well as giving information about the latest versions of software announcements. This forum is intended to give you a single place to find all your device updates and a place for you to talk to us directly. It replaces the previous status page at http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones.

As part of improving the information available to everyone, we’ve also updated the layout of our updates page to give a better view of where a device is at any point in time by detailing what “status” the device is in. You’ll also find detailed information about how and why we test devices as well as key terminology in the thread ”Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology”.

There are a two new device updates to point out this week.

• The addition if the Android ICS updates for the Samsung Galaxy Note and HTC EVO 3D devices.
  • Inclusion of the Nokia N9 “PR1.3” update

Jelly Bean

We know many of you are hanging out for Android Jellybean update following the recent announcement by Google. We’re keen to get this update to you as soon as possible and we have already requested timelines from our handset and tablet manufacturers. We’ll let you know as soon as we have any news.

We hope you find this new approach and section helpful but we are continually looking at ways to improve the updates information and experience, so we’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback on the sort of things you’d like to see us feature here.

Update status for this week*:

Handset  Update Status Expected test rounds Expected approval date Expected customer availability date Notes
Sony Ericsson Arc S  Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Now available 1 28 May 2012 11 June 2012 Available via Sony Ericsson “PC Companion”
Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo  Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Now available 1 5 June 2012 18 June 2012 Available via Sony Ericsson “PC Companion”
Nokia Lumia 800 Mango Commercial Refresh 3 (MCR3) Now available 1 9 July 2012 19 July 2012 Available by synchronising your phone with Microsoft’s Zune software on a PC
HTC 7 Mozart  Mango Commercial Refresh 3 (MCR3) Now available 1 9 July 2012 19 July 2012 Available by synchronising your phone with Microsoft’s Zune software on a PC
HTC HD7 Mango Commercial Refresh 3 (MCR3) Now available 1 9 July 2012 19 July 2012 Available by synchronising your phone with Microsoft’s Zune software on a PC
Samsung Omnia W  Mango Commercial Refresh 3 (MCR3) Now available 1 9 July 2012 19 July 2012 Available by synchronising your phone with Microsoft’s Zune software on a PC
LG c900k Mango Commercial Refresh 3 (MCR3) Now available 1 9 July 2012 19 July 2012 Update tested and approved by Telstra. Awaiting deployment by Microsoft.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Android 4.0.4 update Now available 1 17 July 2012 31 July 2012 Available over the air. To request update go to: Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software updates>Check now
Samsung Galaxy Note Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Second round testing 2 13 August 2012 27 August 2012 Currently in Telstra testing
Nokia N9 PR 1.3 update Second round testing 2 13 August 2012 27 August 2012 Currently in Telstra testing
HTC EVO 3D Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Third or greater round of testing 2 10 September 2012 12 September 2012 Issues identified in 2nd round of testing require a new FW submission. 
Samsung Galaxy S2 4G  Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 2 October 2012 16 October 2012 Samsung has advised that they now expect to submit the update for testing late-August.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus  Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC Samsung is preparing an update but is yet to confirm the date it will be submitted for Telstra testing.
HTC One XL Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC is preparing an update but is yet to confirm the date it will be submitted for Telstra testing.
HTC One S Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ update Waiting for initial vendor submission 2 TBC TBC HTC is preparing an update but is yet to confirm the date it will be submitted for Telstra testing.

*  - Although accurate at time of publishing these dates are subject to change.

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Handset updates - 9 August 2012

Craig,

nice to see!! Can you please update the old link to redirect here?

in addition, I feel this would be better suited to a Community Knowledgebase article over just forum posts. 

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

CraigR
0 Kudos

Hi Ben_F,

The "old" page will be changed to re-direct to here inthe near future - we just need to get the "tablets" update up on this forum then both of the "old"  links can be updated.

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Thankyou Craig, at last, great to see we've got some movement at the station and lets hope it can be updated on a more regular basis, even minor updates that relate will be great. Also the fact that Tablets, eg. Xoom etc. will make the cut. 

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Super Contributor
haydencoonan

Sensational.. Samsung delay again...

Community Manager
Yannick
0 Kudos

Haydencoonan if you follow this board you will be one of the first to find out when it is ready. We have also tried to explain the process behind updates and why sometime we have delays.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Device-Updates-Important-Info-amp-Terminology/t... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as a Accepted Solution this will help other members find solutions faster.

Purchase Telstra iPhone 6 and 6 Plus direct links:  http://tel.st/iphone6
You can also find us on:
Twitter @TelstraFacebook 24x7Google +

SBro
0 Kudos

I notice Android 4.1 (JB) is only for three handsets.  Is this the final list or are other handsets (I have a normal SII) being considered.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

SBro wrote:

I notice Android 4.1 (JB) is only for three handsets.  Is this the final list or are other handsets (I have a normal SII) being considered.

This list is updated on a weekat basis and therefore doesn't cover all handsets. These are the ones that they know about. 

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
firedragon76

Yannick, Samsung updates are shockingly slow like they don't care. My Samsung Galaxy S II 4G was supposed to get Ice Cream Sandwhich originally in May, then June, then August, then September and now it has been pushed back to mid October. Terrible customer service. I guess that it's a laughable question to ask if the S II 4G will get Jelly Bean since Samsung does not seem to care about a device that was released sooo long ago in March 2012 /s . The only thing that is worse on the S II 4G is the terrible battery life of less than a day with modest use. Only if I turn wireless data off I do get a full day of normal use on one charge. 2 friends with the same phone with Telstra have the same poor experience. All added up I regret getting the S II 4G.......
Occasional Contributor
No_Underscore
0 Kudos

Well done guys, appreciate you producing a more forward facing update approach, having it on a weekly type update schedule that communicates things, even if there are no changes it is much better than a table that is updated sparodically with no chat.

keep it up and keep on Samsung and HTC backs about JB.

CraigR

With Jelly Bean, the 3 devices listed  here are so far the only ones where we have a commitment from the manufacturer to provide a Jelly Bean update. We are in discussions about other devices and will add them to the list here once we have "locked it in" with the manufacturer.

In reality we want a Jelly Bean update for as many of our devices as possible (and sooner rather than later).

Contributor
gjh98gjh
0 Kudos

great work, thanks Craig
Contributor
nixygirl

firedragon76 wrote:
Yannick, Samsung updates are shockingly slow like they don't care. My Samsung Galaxy S II 4G was supposed to get Ice Cream Sandwhich originally in May, then June, then August, then September and now it has been pushed back to mid October. Terrible customer service. I guess that it's a laughable question to ask if the S II 4G will get Jelly Bean since Samsung does not seem to care about a device that was released sooo long ago in March 2012 /s . The only thing that is worse on the S II 4G is the terrible battery life of less than a day with modest use. Only if I turn wireless data off I do get a full day of normal use on one charge. 2 friends with the same phone with Telstra have the same poor experience. All added up I regret getting the S II 4G.......

I'd wager that almost every owner of this phone feels the same way. I know I certainly do!

coaxism
0 Kudos

I wish you would tell your Tech Support Areas about this!

Contributor
David_T
0 Kudos

Didn't know this site even existed, another well kept Telstra secret. Good to see you are going to keep us up to date with whats happening for a change. The word is spreading fast, I found out on Ausdroid;

Ausdroid

http://ausdroid.net/2012/08/10/telstra-to-keep-us-up-to-date-with-device-updates/

Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

Hey Yannick - yeah, I understand the process.. As I've said elsewhere though - Samsung are now Motoroling me.. I preferenced Samsung over Motorola because I thought the support was going to be better, and I'm being let down seriously again..

I've raised the concept elsewhere too, of setting up a system to demonstrate to your consumers that they are worthy of respect - if a manufacturer gives a deadline, and then fails to meet that deadline, apply penalties that you can then use for good PR..  

I don't hold Telstra responsible for this, I hold the manufacturers accountable..

Contributor
wdtvandsound
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was expecting the update sooner in Sept, now Oct. Now we have a date and not just an approx month!!

Every time I called Samsung they would just pass the buck back  to Telstra and they were getting terse when mentioning the G SII 4G. When registering my phone with them on line, this phone did not have a model in their system to click on (even though it was advertised on the same site). They blatantly told me when I mentioned it was not there, that, if it's not there just chose the closest to the model and go with that. It's like that Samsung is treating this model like an orphan model and it will go away soon.....As its not an international model, it was not worth the trouble to have it listed on an Australian site.

Then with that, there is hardly any accessories is the market place e.g. Otter Defender case etc that fits this model not!!!!!

At least the HTC oneX accessories fit the HTC oneXL or was that a stuff up. Thanks to some common sense in Europe, AC power chargers with USB to Micro USB lead, came here with the common connectivity on most models using a USB plug that’s interchangeable with most brands except  Apple!

Samsung Galaxy S2 4GAndroid 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ updateWaiting for initial vendor submission22 October 201216 October 2012Samsung has advised that they now expect to submit the update for testing late-August.
Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Excellent! Now I can watch and wait for a potential patch to ICS for Galaxy SII before I update.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

HuggaBounce
0 Kudos

Ben_F wrote:

SBro wrote:

This list is updated on a weekat basis and therefore doesn't cover all handsets. These are the ones that they know about. 

HTC seem to have a majority of their handsets earmarked for ICS update, but there are very few listed in the table of Telstra updates.  See: 

http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq

http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics

I'm particularly interested in the HTC Desire S.  I'm surprised its not listed as "waiting on vendor submission" or something at the very least since HTC have made the announcement they are close to finishing (August).  Can you update your table with more HTC handsets or is there a reason why they are not itemised yet?  At least having an entry would show that it's not a forgotten phone (it is under warranty still after all!).

Ben_F
0 Kudos

HuggaBounce wrote:

Ben_F wrote:

SBro wrote:

HTC seem to have a majority of their handsets earmarked for ICS update, but there are very few listed in the table of Telstra updates.  See: 

http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq

http://blog.htc.com/2012/03/ics

I'm particularly interested in the HTC Desire S.  I'm surprised its not listed as "waiting on vendor submission" or something at the very least since HTC have made the announcement they are close to finishing (August).  Can you update your table with more HTC handsets or is there a reason why they are not itemised yet?  At least having an entry would show that it's not a forgotten phone (it is under warranty still after all!).

It could be that HTC haven't advised Telstra formally that they will be releasing it?

New Users - Click Here!

CraigR
0 Kudos

Due to an "oversight" the ICS update for the HTC Desire S was not listed in last week’s update. It will included in the next update which I hope to release in the next 24 hours. Unfortunately we don’t have firm dates for the update though - only a commitment from HTC that they are "preparing the update for submission".

Ben_F
0 Kudos

CraigR wrote:

Due to an "oversight"

Is that a sneaky way of saying "Whoops, I forgot?" :smileywink:

New Users - Click Here!

Contributor
David_T
0 Kudos

Ben_F wrote:

HuggaBounce wrote:

Ben_F wrote:

SBro wrote:

It could be that HTC haven't advised Telstra formally that they will be releasing it?

Ben_F
0 Kudos

David_T wrote:

I can only speculate :smileytongue: give me a break :smileywink:

New Users - Click Here!

Established Member
shavey
0 Kudos

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. I don't see the Galaxy S listed any more and it's still stuck on Froyo.

I realise there are other ways to upgrade but I want to know when a stock version will be available as 850mhz band is necessary to stable(ish) coverage in my area.

Thanks

CraigR
0 Kudos

Hi shavey,

The latest Telstra approved version of the Samsung Galaxy S (GT-i9000T) is:

Build number: GINGERBREAD.DVJW1

Android Version: 2.3.6

This version was Telstra approved on 29 June 2012. It is also referred to as the "Galaxy S Value pack" and is available for download via Kies software.

The Froyo->Gingerbread update was approved 24 October 2011.

Established Member
shavey
0 Kudos

My apologies, confusion over the version names as I've been experimenting with ICS and JB for way too long :smileyhappy:

In that case, will there be an ICS release or will I have to look to alternatives should I want to use that?
CraigR
0 Kudos

Hi shavey,

Samsung have told Telstra that unfortunately there will be no ICS update for the Galaxy S (GT-I9000t). The "Galaxy S Value pack" update that I mentioned earlier is meant to bring some of the ICS features to the Galaxy S but there will not be a full ICS update for the device.

ReeRee
0 Kudos

hi,

was the galaxy note approved yesterday?

CraigR

The good news is that the Galaxy Note ICS update was approved yesterday. I am waiting for one last detail before publishing this weeks updates - should go out in the next few hours

ReeRee
0 Kudos

Yey :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
Ambs75
0 Kudos

Any news on the Blackberry Bold or should I just jump ship to Optus now??

CraigR
0 Kudos

(moved from other thread)

Hi Ambs75,

Which Blackberry Bold are you referring to? There several models that Telstra has ranged at some point in time (Bold Touch 9900, Bold 9790, Bold 9780, Bold 9700 and Bold 9000). Also which update is the question about ? Telstra has tested and approved a number of updates for "Bold" devices in the past so there is a chance it is already availible.

ONQSysadmin
0 Kudos

What about the HTC Sensation?  Will it also get Jelly Bean 4.1?

Thanks,

CraigR
0 Kudos

Hi ONQSysadmin,

We have asked HTC the question (Jelly Bean for the HTC Sensation) but have not received an answer yet. Once further information is received I will let you know via this forum.

New Contributor
Ambs75
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply

Bold Touch 9900 OS7.1 software released in March for Vodafone and Optus customers however last I heard Telstra still hadn't released it and last time I asked the customer support team were unsure when it would be.

Cheers

Ambs75

Community Leader
Kalak

If you visit this page and select the Blackberry Bold 9900 it shows:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.1424 (Asia)

Package Version: 7.1.0.1424
Consisting of:
Applications: 7.1.0.428
Software Platform: 5.1.0.338
File name: 9900Asia_PBr7.1.0_rel1424_PL5.1.0.338_A7.1.0.428_Telstra.exe
File size: 218.04MB

Is this what you were looking for?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
CraigR

Hi Ambs75,

As Kalak mentions below the 7.1 software is available for the Bold 9900 and has been for some time. Telstra approved the update on 30th May 2012.

Community Leader
Kalak
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the confusion might be that the updates page still references version 6 for older models and doesn't mention the 9900.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
New Contributor
Ambs75

OMG! It would seem that some of the Telstra Customer Support people may be confused, I asked about the (Asia) version and was told this was not for Australian customers?????

Thank You for your expertise Kalak and Craig, I am off to download and upgrade now! Seriously made my day!

Ambs