CROWDSUPPORT ®

New Contributor
GeoffC
0 Kudos

Re: Lumia 920 GDR2/1308 Firmware

Hey Craig, Has testing approval been completed for this update and do you have a time frame from Nokia in regards to deployment?

Your post stated that it was due for sign off with deployment to usually begin within 10 days however it has been 2 weeks since that post with no further update from telstra and no update being delivered to my handset.

GCrane1982
NathanB
0 Kudos

I know we keep getting told to be patient, but this is really not good enough...

i've just had to switch the sim out of a brand new Nokia into a ancient brick as the Lumia shuts down every hour or so.

The senior Exec is in charge of out of hours care for boarding students and he's missed vital calls about a sick kid!

He wants a new phone!

I just want the uodate that's been released in other countries!

Nathan

baron5
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, I have also been subject to the faults of the 920. However the problem that me and my friend face with ours is the connection dropout issues. I can't say I have a problem with the restarting at all, but my phone does keep dropping calls and has random spurts of "can't send, retry?" that can only be fixed via a reset of the device. Now I have gone through 3 lumia 920's thus far which all have suffered this issue (and my friends) so it's obviously a problem, and I have contacted Nokia and Telstra who are aware of this issue but still provide no solution. However it's probably worth noting that Telstra have set-up a forward-shipping option for Nokia devices and when I told them about my issue they sent my away and replaced my device with a brand new handset within 2 days, so far this latest (my third) lumia hasn't had the issue but I have only had it for around a week, it still has 1249 firmware so it isn't updated yet but the reason I wanted a new handset is becuase the Nokia rep at the store (who is in regular contact with Nokia) believes the connection issue is actually due to the sim reader component in the phone which has problems kleeping a stable reading of the sim, I hope (maybe wishful thinking) that these new handsets have a sim reader that rectifys this problem.

If we don't hear about future updates soon (1314 seems to address the exact issue I face) then I will most likely flash to unbranded ROM. I wonder if we are going to get the amber update...

Frequent Visitor
spleep
0 Kudos

I'm also sorely over Telstra in general, but in particular it's snails pace approach to software updates for the Lumia 920 and WP8.

I love this device and am a bit of a Nokia fan and infact migrated to Telstra from Vodafone just for the phone..however its a young handset and OS that will be greatly improved by these firmware updates, but, bloody Telstra..

Ive decided that its Flash the phone time using navifirm and nokia suite etc but have one slight problem, i use a Macbook Pro and i think that one needs Windows to make the changes to the device. So, short of setting up windows on my Mac, does anyone have any other solutions or workarounds??

Yes it would be easier for me to have an iphone, but i don't buy into the whole 'ecosystem' aproach that Apple and Windows want us to be part of, Mix and Match for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Occasional Collector
JasonC
0 Kudos

Todays the 10 Business Day mark, so any minute now !!!! Surely!

Infamy
0 Kudos

Yep, just tried a manual update and no luck yet. Would love to know where this is up to.

This proximity sensor is driving me nuts, especially as I am moving house and having to deal with Telstra and their automated phone calls to me that require me to press numbers on my keypad are driving me nuts as I can't get to it during a call.

NathanB
0 Kudos

Just had a Lumia 920 dumped on my desk by my boss!

He's not happy - thinks it's the best phone he's ever used but can't have a phone that shuts down 10-15 times a day!

Do I return it for warranty, or is this update actually happening?

Come on Telstra, at least tell us what's going on!!!!

Nathan

russyp
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Just found update to 920.

Updating now.

Settings>phone update.

I believe it is the 1314 we have all been waiting for.

Cheers

russyp
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Confirming my firmware now shows 1232.5962.1314.009.

Cheers

sez96
0 Kudos

Possibly posting in wrong spot, but have been trying to search for fixes to Nokia Lumia 920 shutting down for hours (microsoft windows phone site not even working).

I have read this update should fix issues with Lumia 920.

However, mine just turned off last night, and will not turn back on. If I do the "soft reset" it just vibrates, shows the telstra logo and then the screen stays black (slightly backlit).

Question: now that this update is available, is it worth taking my phone back to a telstra store to be sent away to be fixed?

IMPORTANT question: Am I going to lose all of my photos saved to my phone? This is all I care about. (Haven't done a sync to computer for awhile as was having issues with sync and software and it was **bleep**ting me. regrets now)

I have read the links on "flashing" the phone but I'm not sure if (a) that wipes my photos away and (b) it can be done with a phone that won't turn on. The phone cannot be detected when it's plugged into the computer.

I'm also scared of having to face excellent telstra customer service at a store which they are reknown for!

Established Member
Ktang912
0 Kudos

Thanks RUSSYP for the news!
I am updating mine as well right now...
Occasional Collector
JasonC
0 Kudos

Great find, now all I need is a WiFi connection. Argh!!

New Contributor
muzzrx
0 Kudos

Just performed the 1314 Update. Bluetooth Profiles Issue not fixed. Not happy at all.

Network Admin @ Compass I.T.
NathanB
0 Kudos

I've checked 4 of our Lumias, and 3 have updated fine, but mine has yet to say an update is available...
any ideas?
Nathan
Occasional Contributor
PALADiN
0 Kudos

It may take a few days to get to all handsets. There's no real way to force it either as far as I can tell.
Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

sez96 wrote:

Possibly posting in wrong spot, but have been trying to search for fixes to Nokia Lumia 920 shutting down for hours (microsoft windows phone site not even working).

I have read this update should fix issues with Lumia 920.

However, mine just turned off last night, and will not turn back on. If I do the "soft reset" it just vibrates, shows the telstra logo and then the screen stays black (slightly backlit).

Question: now that this update is available, is it worth taking my phone back to a telstra store to be sent away to be fixed?

IMPORTANT question: Am I going to lose all of my photos saved to my phone? This is all I care about. (Haven't done a sync to computer for awhile as was having issues with sync and software and it was **bleep**ting me. regrets now)

I have read the links on "flashing" the phone but I'm not sure if (a) that wipes my photos away and (b) it can be done with a phone that won't turn on. The phone cannot be detected when it's plugged into the computer.

I'm also scared of having to face excellent telstra customer service at a store which they are reknown for!

Sez96 the flashing or refurbishing via Nokia Care Suite to the new 1314 will wipe your device. :smileysad:

I think there are other tricks I have read about recovering a phone or trying to. I am at a clients atm and will try and have a look tonight.

sez96
0 Kudos

That would be greatly appreciated. I can go without a phone for a few days but don't think I can go without my photos! I asked nokia customer support but they suggested just a hard reset, wouldn't offer any "maybes" on being able to recover photos.

Oh if only I had installed windows 8 on my computer so I didn't have backup issues :smileysad:

Occasional Contributor
PALADiN
0 Kudos

Do you have your photos backed up to Skydrive?
Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

sez96, I am having trouble finding the procedure I had seen before.

Have you tried a soft reset a) on power and b) with the SIM removed and your WiFi router turned off?

I hope you can bring it back to life. I had so many photos of my daughter and when Phone #2 started locking up (sometimes even on boot) I freaked until after 15 soft resets I managed to have it up long enough to sync. I did so with no SIM and no available WiFi. I found having a data connection caused the phone to fail faster.

Occasional Contributor
TonyC920
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is anyone else having connection issues after installing 1314 update? Released 21/05/2013

Issues;

Not connecting to Data Connection after being on WIFI.

Not connecting to WIFI after being on Data Connection.

I have to reboot my phone when I leave home to connect to Data, THEN reboot when I get home to connect to WIFI. Big problem! I have looked at all my settings and everything is right.

I would like to know if there is anyone else encountering this problem please.

UPDATE 

+++FIXED+++ Just called Nokia Care Center and they told me to switch off phone then restart holding the VOL Down key and Power Key at the same time. Once it rebooted to worked fine - All good!!

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Yep, the 'soft reset' is your friend... Use it well :-)

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Nokia Lumia 1020, Lumia 920, Lumia 720, Lumia 900, Samsung Focus
Windows Phones
Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Toshiba Encore, Surface RT
sez96
0 Kudos

Not since end of Jan. Auto upload to skydrive was killing my data. But my photos are so precious, I don't want to lose them. Lesson learnt. Or maybe I should just get angry at nokia!?

sez96
0 Kudos

Yeah I've tried that, can't sync though. I'll keep trying I spose. Going without a phone for 2 days hasn't bothered me so far, need those precious memories. Much more important than people being able to call me!

if you come across the procedure let me know :smileyhappy:

THANKS AGAIN

baron5
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just letting you guys know that the 1314 update (1314.0009 to be exact) started rolling out the other day and if you go the updates it will now be detected, this should solve many of the connectivity issues, improves proximity sensor and also boosts the battery life significantly!

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Okay, now that this update is out why is it that the company I work for has received the update (purchased 920's via Telstra plans for our staff), yet mine I purchased outright at Harvey Norman and on Telstra but I have yet received the update.

Why haven't I received the update as yet and when the Portico update came out we received the updates at the same time?

Can someone from Telstra's team tell me the reasoning for this?

Cheers

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Occasional Contributor
Schikitar
0 Kudos

@tropolite the update should be available to your handset by now. I noticed that 1314 came alive for Telstra and non-branded phones within days of each other. Perhaps power cycle your phone and check your update settings.

Glad to hear 1314 is out now, it really does address a number of important hardware issues - next stop GDR2!
Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Yep, I've tried power cycling, (again this morning), soft resetting, however still nada @Schikitar. I wonder if anyone else that has a retail purchased 920 has received their updates yet?

Don't understand why there's such a delay in in these releases from "Plan acquired" and retail purchased devices.

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
NathanB
0 Kudos

My 6 Telstra phones have all updated, by mine (unlocked) has not.
tried everything!
At least this seems to gave fixed the random shut down issue!

anyone know how to force an update?
Honoured Contributor
DEANJA
0 Kudos

You might find like a lot of these updates they are being sent out in waves or batches if you like, just a matter of waiting for your number to come up so to speak, happens very often with all software/firmware updates.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark your question as SOLVED.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

tropolite wrote:

Okay, now that this update is out why is it that the company I work for has received the update (purchased 920's via Telstra plans for our staff), yet mine I purchased outright at Harvey Norman and on Telstra but I have yet received the update.

Why haven't I received the update as yet and when the Portico update came out we received the updates at the same time?

Can someone from Telstra's team tell me the reasoning for this? 

Hey tropolite,

I have 2 Lumia 920s. Mine on contract from Telstra and my Wifes bought outright (shes on Virgin).

I had problems with mine and changed to the generic firmware 1308 whoch solved my issues. This update had been pulled but was better than the 1249 or whatever Telstra was. I got my update to 1314, 2 days after my wifes Telstra firmware phone did.

I have also heard they ramp up in batches. Like 1% day 1, 10% day blah blah till 30 days if I remember right for 100%. That said the final day value I had read could be like 67% of statistics and made up on the spot. I think this is so if there is a problem (like 1308 on AT&T) they can pull before too many people have it

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Thanks @tmorgan4 .. Especially when the company phones and other colleagues have all received the update and yet the phone you paid for outright (well before it was available from Telstra), is yet to receive the update. I used to be one of those that flashed their phone when new ROMs became available because of the wait.

Microsoft announced OTA updates apart from carriers but then that hasn't come through as yet. I'll stay patient for another week, then I'll get narky if I don't receive 1314 by then.

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Contributor
tmorgan4
0 Kudos

tropolite wrote:
Microsoft announced OTA updates apart from carriers but then that hasn't come through as yet. I'll stay patient for another week, then I'll get narky if I don't receive 1314 by then.

I also remember something being said about someone being able to sign up for faster updates. Can't remeber where that was. Wish it was true!

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Following on from recent information told to me via twitter (via @WP_DownUnder), "unchannelled", unlocked or outright purchased handsets have been placed at the end of the upgrade list.

Quite disappointing considering these owners have paid premium full retail cost for these handsets, not subsidised, one would expect these to get better treatment than this, and to prevent same from reverting to the old practice of manually flashing their ROMs because of the lack of support.

Definitely a decision that should be rethought, as those who have purchased outright are more inclined to be the early supporters of these devices and are only penalizing these supporters.

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Regular Visitor
benny1984
0 Kudos

I received the 1314 update late last week, now I have the random shutdown issue. Seem to only happen when on usb charge though. Soft reset brings it back to life, have been lucky until now as I have not had any other isses with the lumia 920.

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

It's been another week, and still no 1314 update rollout for 'unchannelled' or retail purchased, Lumia 920's (from Harvey Norman).

What is the problem? This seems to be very dicriminatory against those that opt to buy handsets outright (in my case because I change my handset within a year).

What is the ETA for this update for unchannelled Lumia 920 handsets??

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Contributor
GlennL

Telstra doesn't control the rollout of Updates, that is up to Microsoft.

Even if they did it would only be for telstra branded phones, yours is unlocked so not related to Telstra.

The SIM in your device doesn't influence when you get the update

A final point is that its a staggered update.

Meaning 10% will get it one week 20% then next and so on and so forth, so you just need to be patient
Honoured Contributor
DEANJA
0 Kudos

That's much the same with Samsung, the current roll-out of the JB update for the Note 1 is in waves, I know some who have got it already and others like myself still waiting and playing the patience game.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark your question as SOLVED.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
NathanB
0 Kudos

Still waiting...

"The patience game" is ok, excpet if your handset is turing off 10 times a day and you are missing calls, messages, alarms etc.

Try explainig to your boss that he just has to be patient!

Now he has my handset that shuts down only once a day, and i have his - I can understand his frustraion, it's killing me!

Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Actually @GlennL after checking with Microsoft they said otherwise... The Carrier is responsible for releasing the update.

So again Unchannelled devices (or at least my Lumia 920 purchased from Harvey Norman (grey)) is still lacking the 1314 update from weeks ago.

Any comment Telstra?

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Contributor
Chegzilla
0 Kudos

Harvey Norman are Optus dealers. You've either purchased an Optus branded handset, or a non-branded handset.

Either way, Telstra cannot and will not push updates out to your device because it is not a Telstra handset.

As was stated before, updates are not dependant on SIM cards, it is dependant on the handset.

Chegzilla

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't forget to show your appreciation - mark solutions when you see them, and provide your Kudos wherever you see a fantastic answer.
Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Chehzilla... As I stated my 920 is 'unchanneled', meaning unbranded, purchased retail, non-planned, outright purchase, whatever. It is not an Optus device.

Telstra receive my money monthly as they do with any other using a phone purchased on a plan. Every other update in the past I've received. So as Telstra receive my money on their network and therefore in all intent and purpose a Telstra device.

If it was not a Telstra device I would not have Telstra One, Dimmi and other exclusive apps available on the Telstra network. I've been with Telstra for decades... The Portico update was received fine.

Doesn't matter now anyway.. I've flashed the 1314 update to my device, and now getting considerably better battery life.

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
mat_ran
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@NathanB it sounds like you might best either exchange it for a new handset at telstra or send it to nokia care.....ive gone through two lumia 920s so far, the first i bought outright from harvey norman and it never connected to Telstra 4G and constantly had poor reception and would shutdown down randomly, it battery also lasted not even half a day.

Eventually i got a refund from harvey normal and upgraded my Telstra plan and since then i havent had an issue. battery is amazing and lasts around 11 hours, havent experienced any random shutting down or bricking.

i read online that a small batch of the first shipments of the 920 were faulty.

mat_ran
0 Kudos

Also any update on the GDR2 for Lumia920?

It has apparently started to roll out on WP8 Samsung handsets.......

looking forward to some of the bugs in xbox music being ironed out....like low res artist covers :3

nlcbryan
0 Kudos

Visitor
tomflack
0 Kudos

Still waiting.

This has taught me you're a mug if you buy carrier branded handsets, won't be doing so again in the future.

New Contributor
muzzrx
0 Kudos

wake me up when it arrives...

Network Admin @ Compass I.T.
Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

......................and wait!

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Occasional Collector
tropolite
0 Kudos

Don't speak too soon...

When the 1314 update was being released it took a further couple months for it to come to unbranded handsets.

Cheers
tropolite
Twitter - TroySchuster
Windows Phones
Established Member
DanMar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Any update on status Telstra?

According to July update status page "Test submission received 12 July - Expected customer availability date 14/8"

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-updates-18-July/td-p/172420

This indicates that 2 rounds of 2 week testing has passed as at 14/8.

This information link: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Device-Updates-Important-Info-amp-Terminology/t... states: "Third or greater round of testing:
Updates generally are planned for up to 2 rounds of testing. If further rounds are required due to unplanned circumstances then this will be reflected by this phase status."

I do not see any reflection of status for Lumia 920.

Honoured Contributor
Jupiter
0 Kudos

The Nokia Australia website still states that the current Firmware is 1232.5962.1314.000x. So no update yet.

When the 925 was released in Taiwan, it was indicated that the GDR2/Amber release (Globally) would occur late August - early September.