Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
codral
0 Kudos

S2 Jellybean..

[ Edited ]

OK so I've been googling and trying to find any information from Telstra, but all the posts i've found are outdated.  There also seems to be nothing at all on the device update page.  Considering that so many S2's are getting Jellybean, has there been any word from Telstra?

List of phone models with update currently available:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/680070-jelly-bean-update-dummies-guide.html

Also, this thread seems to imply that even on a branded phone we should be able to get it straight from Samsung, is this correct?  I know that Telstra do tend to need 8-12 months with the phone to make sure it works smoothly, so I know i'm probably not going to get it soon, but here's hoping... There's a T variation out that's listed, which will be the right modem, may just be better off rooting than waiting for Telstra... Thoughts?

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

Re: S2 Jellybean..

Hi codral,

CraigR posts regular updates on the software that we are testing in the Device Updates board, which I suggest that you follow.

While the software will be released by the manufacturer, if you have purchases a Telstra handset, it still goes though a testing phase with Telstra I would suggest that you have a read through the details here on what this entails.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
New Contributor
codral

Yeah, there's nothing in there, am guessing you haven't checked for yourself, or don't own a s2 and it was just a generic reply, possibly to get the old post count up?

So yeh, nothing from Telstra... fail .
Community Manager
DanK

Hi codral,

Not at all, I was providing you with the information you need to self source the details you are after.

If no update is listed in CraigR's most recent post then there is no information that can be shared. He works directly in the team responsible for testing the updates and if he had information would definitely share it with our members.

At this stage there is no listing for this update so if Samsung have announced it, the software has not been provided to Telstra at this stage.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
thechengman
0 Kudos

DanK,

I'd doubt that very much given that Vodafone has been testing Jelly Bean for the S2 since January so it's most likely that Telstra isn't interested in bringing this update for their customers.

New Contributor
codral
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Any further info on this?  Or feedback from Telstra?

Telstra must have something in the works, considering the rollout is on the go at the moment, and the major countries have it...

OTA updates for unbranded phones have now been available for 2 months  and also are available via Kies.

Surely telstra gets the firmware before it gets released OTA?

New Contributor
codral
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just a note on this for future readers.

Considering Telstra hasn't started testing, and some other Australian phone companies are already offering the update I decided to manually upgrade mine.

Used a russian Vanilla Jellybean, rooted that, installed an Israeli 'T' variant Modem (uses same frequencies as telstra)

Reception is the same (did a before and after test in remote locations near work) and no more bloatware.

credit to ironass for that suggestion.

woodiee77
0 Kudos

Hi There,

I flashined my phone with the stock I9100 firmware (Link below) I didn't need to install the I9100T modem & my reception appears to be fine. I have travelled around also & everything works great.

http://androidromupdate.com/2013/02/08/install-i9100xwlsd-i9100xxls8-upgrade-on-samsung-galaxy-s2-gt...  - Downloaded - I9100XWLSD_I9100FOPLS4_FOP.zip version

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

@codral, this update is not available via kies for unbranded handsets in australia, you have been misinformed.
Established Member
sandy79
0 Kudos

Whatever it is......Jellybean update is out and we want to know what Telstra is doing to release it. Any date Telstra?????/

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Check device updates section, its in testing at the moment
Occasional Contributor
Cyrus
0 Kudos

Patience guys the update is on its way

Samsung Galaxy S2Android 4.1 ‘Jelly Bean’ updateFirst round testing125/03/20138/04/2013Update received and in test.

fleaborg
0 Kudos

it's beginning to look a lot like telstra is pulling the same caper as optus did with the nokia n8 belle update. it took near 12 months to get the update to n8 users, ethiopa had it within 2. incidentally, it's what made me leave optus for telstra after 14 years...