Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigR

Samsung Galaxy S4 with Cat 4 (GT-i9506) - deployment of Jellybean 4.3 update has been halted

Hi All,

Samsung have advised that the Galaxy S4 with Cat 4 (GT-i9506) Jellybean 4.3 update that commenced deployment 14 March has now been halted due to customers reporting problems with their handsets after it is applied. We are expecting a fix to be submitted to Telstra for testing in the coming days although we don’t have firm timelines yet. We have asked Samsung for further details and will post them to this thread when they become available.

Device Updates – Important Info & Terminology
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 with Cat 4 (GT-i9506) - deployment of Jellybean 4.3 update has been halted

Thanks for the heads up Craig. It is good to know the problem has been noticed and will hopefully be rectified! Patiently awaiting news on its progress...
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 with Cat 4 (GT-i9506) - deployment of Jellybean 4.3 update has been halted

Good thing I still got mine ota earlier .. I don't have any problems with it.
Vicracer123
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I got mine through ota and the only problem I seem to have is battery life is now noticeably shorter.

Anyway thanks for the update Craig..

New Contributor
Ramrunner73
0 Kudos

Both myself and my wife got the OtA update. This is our experiences:

The unit went black screen after first boot of handset after the update. After waiting a few minutes, I reset the phone (held on/off) and it came up trumps. My wife's experience was similar. However she removed the battery to reset it. Her's also came up trumps both handsets are now 4.3.

An app I was using for quick access to bluetooth setting now keeps crashing - I've removed it.

Glympse and Woolworths app kept crashing. HOWEVER, I don't understand why but after a few days now, they've stopped crashing.

NO OTHER ISSUES noted. No WiFi problems and the battery is the same life for me.

Hope that gives you some feedback.

New Contributor
OzMustangMan351
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

I just unboxed my new Samsung SIV - Cat 4, and it is wanting to update from 4.2.2.

It wants to do OTA and in Kies, is this available update the problem one, or has it now been patched and put back up ?

Thanks I obviously don't want bad firmware on a new device, but I thought you had stopped the bad update ?

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

I don't recommend using lies, but my ota WiFi update was successful.
New Contributor
OzMustangMan351
0 Kudos

Don't do it, it bricked my new phone and it had to be replaced instore.

Even though this update should not be up, even the replacement wanted to grab it.

If it doesn't give the same firmware error and total loss of wireless, you would be lucky.

Only fix is to return to Telstra if they are inclined to help you, or Samsung said they have to fix it, but after this issue it was felt a new handset would be more reliable.

bertusmcspurtus
0 Kudos

I recently got a new Samsung GT-I9506 through Telstra.
As soon as i got it home it told me there was a firmware update.
Through Kies I did as it asked and updated. The new version is 4.3
After the update it also told me that I needed Kies3. So that was installed.
Immediately after the update I found my wireless was unavailable to be switched on. You can toggle the switch through settings or the drop down menu or whatever you like. It will not even turn on at all.
Took the phone back and was given another one.
Come home, same story all over again. This appears to be the only issue, the wireless that is.
I searched on the internet for solutions and stupidly "rooted" my phone. Now Samsung and Telstra don't want to know me.
Oh also when the phone is booted it shows in red SECURE FAIL : KERNEL Then it boots as normal.
Hoping a fix is on the cards soon as I'm stuck with a you beaut top of the range sweet phone....with no freakin wireless.

Philthy-Phil
0 Kudos

Mine did the same thing... Wifi would not work after update and became unresponsive at random times. Also upon resetting I got that "SECURE FAIL KERNEL" in red text. I tried factory twice reset to no avail. I also went to the software update section through the settings - more - about device - software update, and it said that my device has been modified...? I had the phone less than a week and have no knowledge on phone mods / jail breaking etc - never done it. Anyway, took it back to Telstra and had it replaced then and there, they told me it seemed to be a common issue and to stay away from the update, so I'm currently running 4.2.2 with no issues. I think I will stay away from firmware updates if its working fine and doing everything I want it to as of now!

New Contributor
OzMustangMan351
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

Yes the symtoms are on boot in top left corner in red Fail Security : Kernel.

The wireless as you say is totally unusable.

Even if you try recovery options you will get Fail Security: Recovery, and it does not address the issue.

All I can say is as fast as you can disable the autupdate feature, and wait for a new release or even Kit Kat.

The 4.2.2 that is on it out of the box runs nicely.

Backflip14
0 Kudos

Iupdate my phone through Kies on the day I got it, which was 21 March. Since then wifi wont even toggle on, wont accept OTA updates and has the SECURE FAIL KERNEL message when booting. WOuld it bet to try to wait for a fix through new fiirmware, or go back to the Telstra Store for a replacement?

Senior Moderators
Steph
0 Kudos

Hi Backflip, 

I'd recommend taking it to a Telstra Store so we can send it away for repair (Telstra stores can't replace on the spot). 

It could be the case that the new firmware could fix it, however we can't be sure when it will be here, or 100% sure that it would fix it. 

Steph
Senior Moderator
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team
PM Steph - I’m a member of the Overnight Team, so I’ll reply to messages between 10:30pm – 7:00am on the days I’m working.

Live Chat with Telstra

Need help? Check out our KnowledgeBase here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution
All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Thats not entirely true steph,

If the handset is less than four weeks old then TELSTRA WILL REPLACE it under their early life failure clause.

Theyve probably done a few hundred by now
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

beetle84 wrote:
Thats not entirely true steph,

If the handset is less than four weeks old then TELSTRA WILL REPLACE it under their early life failure clause.

Theyve probably done a few hundred by now

This is 100% correct,HOWEVER, the device must be assessed by an authorised technichian, not somebody from the store as they are not authorised and for the most part, not technically qualified, hence faulty units are sent to the techs for professional evaluation, no matter what the problem may be.

EG: If your car develops a fault, whilst the showroom salesman might have been you first best friend, it's the mechanics in the garage who are the qualified people to evaluate the fault, and that certainly is what you would want and expect.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
JB91
0 Kudos

I had this problem but mine came about almost 4 days after doing the update. 

It has been sent off and they ordered in a new S4 for me. I am currently using this. I haven't had any issues with wifi not turning on but it is very slow and is constantly saying the 'connection is unstable'. I just got a message from Telstra today saying my old phone has been 'returned' I don't know if this means it has been repaired or not and I don't particularly want to go and swap my now kind of working phone for one that isn't working at all. I was also informed before sending it out that I will be liable to pay if the phone returns unrepaired.

Sad Samsung/Telstra Customer.

Technical Support
Matt_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi JB91,

That isn't good to hear. I'd still suggest going back and obtaining your old phone to see if it has been fixed. If you then have any issues we can raise a complaint for you to assist further.

-Matt W

Telstra Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
New Contributor
OzMustangMan351
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff

That is Telstra propoganda. If you are getting the run around on a S4 - Cat 4 which is eligible for Early Life Failure, you can book into a Genius bar, or do like I did ring the complaints team. That's what they are there for, they kindly provided an email directing the store to replace on the spot. Mine was less than 24Hours old, and it did take 2 hours in store.

The Samsung technician who tried his best to help me restore the origina handset, said it would never be the same again, so push hard for replacement and not repair.

Can you believe this update is still up in Kies and OTA, I wonder how many handsets will be binned before it's down.

New Contributor
OzMustangMan351
0 Kudos

Hi bertusmcspurtus

Sorry to point out that rooting your phone whilst under warranty is a big mistake unless you are a serious Android buff.

If in fact you are at a dead end then you have nothing to lose anymore, so my advice is to investigate some custom ROMs, or if you search long enough you could find original Samsung Firmware. (maybe Sammobile will have one)

I know Android Advices and Android Authority publish step by step install procedures for ROMs, and if your device is rooted you are half way there already.

If I was you I would be grabbing Kit Kat, good luck.

Established Member
Coolbreeze
0 Kudos

bertusmcspurtus wrote:

I recently got a new Samsung GT-I9506 through Telstra.
As soon as i got it home it told me there was a firmware update.
Through Kies I did as it asked and updated. The new version is 4.3
After the update it also told me that I needed Kies3. So that was installed.
Immediately after the update I found my wireless was unavailable to be switched on. You can toggle the switch through settings or the drop down menu or whatever you like. It will not even turn on at all.
Took the phone back and was given another one.
Come home, same story all over again. This appears to be the only issue, the wireless that is.
I searched on the internet for solutions and stupidly "rooted" my phone. Now Samsung and Telstra don't want to know me.
Oh also when the phone is booted it shows in red SECURE FAIL : KERNEL Then it boots as normal.
Hoping a fix is on the cards soon as I'm stuck with a you beaut top of the range sweet phone....with no freakin wireless.

If you have rooted your phone, as you have noted you will not get any love from the OEM or the vendor. Reset to factory and don't mention anything about rooting your phone. The heart of the issue is they published out a botched piece of software.

This; SECURE FAIL : KERNEL is a symptom of the botched 4.3 deployment, in short the Samsung trusted boot process cannot verify the digital signature of the kernel and it has blown what is colloquially called a fuse on the motherboard of the device. Once this fuse is tripped thats it you cannot go back.

You can still use the phone as normal though you will never be able to use a feature like Samsung KNOX and likely have no warranty. The only way to fix your phone is to get a replacement.

Now Telstra are saying that the botched 4.3 deployment is halted but if I check for updates on the device then I'm still prompted to update to 4.3.

When Samsang published this update at least a week before the target date in this very forum and people started reporting the failure and the Telstra reps where saying that the update hasn't been released yet, it's not approved... so on and so forth.

It is crystal clear that the representitives in this forum are not communicated to properly or in a timely way by the team that test and approve the updates. This is likely to be by design due to confidentiality. It's not their fault but you need to take correspondence regarding device software with a healthy grain of salt.

bushavaAzbuka
0 Kudos

I've done the 4.3 update through Wi-Fi and its been some time now, and everything is working fine so far, i can't find any bug or problem. But i'll be careful from now on because i am in Europe and i'm not able to return the phone to some of your Telstra Stores.
Btw, is there any way , if unfortunately my phone got some problem, to repair anywhere in Europe? Thx in advance.

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

G'Day Bushy, hope you're having a great time over there. Good to hear you're having no problems with the uodate or your phone, just hope you haven't jinxted yourself bringing up the subject of repairs.

If something went wrong you could try Samsung, possibly through their facebook page for the country or area you are in to ask about repairs, BUT, going on the responses of Samsung here in Australia when asked about repairing phones bought overseas they won't touch them I'm afraid.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
bushavaAzbuka
0 Kudos

Thx for the replay DEANJA. The local Samsung administrator said that it can be repaired in any country thats in the European Union , but I hope nothing gonna happen :smileyhappy:)
Dew4rd
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Any update on when 4.3 will be rolling out again on the S4?

Cheers

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

Alright, going by what has been said. Anyone who was affected by this "bug" and has not returned it for replacement will not be able to install 4.3 (or even 4.4 for that matter) due to the "Qfuse" on the motherboard being blown (which permanently disables secure boot and locks the boot loader). Since my phone is 2 months old seems not even worth sending it back to Telstra as they are likely to just send it back untouched. I have taken matters into my own hands and reflashed 4.2.2 and phone works fine now. However, I cannot get any future updates due to the blown Qfuse and my warranty is also void (lying about it won't help because the technician will just check the status of the Qfuse). I won't be getting another Samsung again that is for sure.
Liam22
0 Kudos

Hi,

I own the Samsung Galaxy S4 (with 4G Cat 4) and I have already recieved the Android 4.3 update. I checked for software updates and it said that I could install the Android 4.3 update. (I recieved this update about 1 month ago).

I am wondering when Samsung is releasing the Android 4.4 update for Samsung Galaxy S4??

gagaraz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi all

Android 4.4 update for Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9506) ? Release date ?

Ashley
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

No news at this stage on KitKat for the Galaxy S4 with Cat 4. Keep an eye on the Handset Updates here on CS for details when they are available

Ashley

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

I wouldn't hold your breath for the 4.4 update for the S4 Cat4, considering they screwed up the 4.3 update and still haven't fixed it. Why you guys in such a hurry to get your phones stuffed up again anyway? Personally I don't care about 4.4 (or even the 4.3 update for that matter) since my phone is now perminantly stuck on 4.2.2 due to the buggy 4.3 firmware. However, you know what? It doesn't matter as even stuck on 4.2.2 it's still an awesome phone! And in less than 2 years I will be upgrading to a new (non Samsung) handset anyway. With my previous 2 smart phones I was lucky to see one OS update in the 2 year period so I'm used to it. If you wanted speedier updates you should of either bought the Nexus 5 or bought the phone you have outright and unlocked. That is my 2 cents take with a grain of salt.
wstark1
0 Kudos

After update to 4.3 (why is it still being offered ???) my GPS on the phone is now very flaky...

Returning it to store tomorrow....

gagaraz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi CraigR

gt-i9506 updates kitkat 4.4.2? a day of release? 

DingoDan
0 Kudos

Hey gagaraz,

Nothing has been announced as yet with Kit Kat on the Samsung S4 Cat 4 handset as yet. Once we have an update this will be posted on the Device Updates page at: 

http://goo.gl/VMO2c

You will simply have to locate the latest date listed for the most recent information. 

Dingo
Please send Kudo's to replies you think are worthy :smileytongue:

gagaraz
0 Kudos

thanks DingoDan.

liam24
0 Kudos

Ok well I own the Samsung Galaxy S4 (with 4G CAT 4) and got the update a short time after deployment commenced. I have not noticed any problems with the update itself being installed on my phone but I am curious to know when Samsung will release the Android 4.4 kitkat update for the Samsung Galaxy S4 because I spoke to a guy who worked at Telstra and he said that he thought it might be released when the Samsung Galaxy S5 is released (April 11th).

Can you please give me some info on this...

jarenz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

please let me know how to upgrade s4 GT-19506 jelly to kitkat and what is the performance when already upgraded..??

DingoDan
0 Kudos

Hey jarenz,

No confirmation on when the KitKat update will be available for this device as yet :smileysad: 

Keep an eye on the device updates threads for the next release from Craig and hopefully there will be more information provided.

Dingo
Please send Kudo's to replies you think are worthy :smileytongue:

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Dan.. Seriously.. When you get the kit Kat update. Please, please don't mess with it.. Don't add boot screens. Bloatware etc. It seriously isn't wanted by the masses.. You don't make friends by doing it.. It will also help speed up the release..
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

@KitEKat, Telstra do NOT mess with it at all. SAMSUNG modify it at Telstra's request. You're wasting your time demanding Telstra to stop it because they will not. If it upsets you that much, either purchase an unbranded handset or go to another carrier who does not do that (good luck with that though). Vote with your wallets people, if you want any company to listen to you then stop buying thier goods. Soon as enough people stop and thier profits take a dive, then they'll want to listen ;-)
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

An update is being pushed to the Galaxy S4 Cat4 now from Samsung, it's only ~14Mb in size. It could be the fix for the problems people are having with 4.3. I can't check on my phone since is now permanently locked to 4.2.2 due to the blown Qfuse thanks to Samsung. However, my sister's S4 Cat4, that received the 4.3 update with no problems, just got the new update (wasn't able to see a change log, not even sure where to find it?). I'm guessing is why Samsung didn't pull the bugged 4.3 update? looks like you need to still install it and then apply the patch?? seems bit dangerous to me though (I'm only guessing, unable to check myself so could be totally wrong). Any one else receive the update? or news from Craig or any other Telstra employee on the status of the fix from Sammy themselves??

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Yes.. Just got my update.. 14mb.. Still 4.3.. Had my heart racing for a bit.. Thought it was KitKat..
Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

I think you need to update to 4.3 but not Via Kies.. Ota WiFi seems fine.. At least for me.. The extra update should then come as well..
Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

KitEKat wrote:
I think you need to update to 4.3 but not Via Kies.. Ota WiFi seems fine.. At least for me.. The extra update should then come as well..

Yeah, that is my thinking as well. Pretty half arsed way to "fix" the problem though, just telling users to not update via Kies and you're fine. Lawsuit waiting to happen if that is the official solution (hopefully not).

I'm still curious to how the hell I downgraded from 4.3 to 4.2.2 with a blown Qfuse, according to all my research so far it should of bricked my phone! (but didn't) the fuse is blown, no doubt about it...guess I got lucky? and is also why I don't receive the 4.3 update notification anymore. The update was never halted, Samsung continued to keep pushing it. Just need to read this forum, people with brand new S4 Cat4s or who had theirs replaced, still receiving notification of the update. Samsung really screwed up big time, I'm just glad I could fix my phone. In a way I'm lucky my phone is locked to 4.2.2, Samsung can't screw it up anymore!

gagaraz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

man trying to install with Odin v3.09 

Model: GT-I9506

Model name: GALAXY S4 LTE-A

Version: Android 4.3

Changelist: 2210443

Build date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:40:32 +0000

Product Code: XSP

PDA: I9506XXUBND2

CSC: I9506OLBBND1

MODEM: I9506XXUBMK7

variance e sammobile com (I never had any problem) is good.

Edit: Removed links to third party site

gagaraz
0 Kudos

(Faceboock) Samsung Mobile Singapore Hi Va Kc, the Android 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) update for GALAXY S4 With LTE+ (GT-I9506) is in the pipeline, and will be released soon. Thank you..

Contributor
Xerxes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gagaraz wrote:

man trying to install with Odin v3.09 

Model: GT-I9506

Model name: GALAXY S4 LTE-A

Version: Android 4.3

Changelist: 2210443

Build date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:40:32 +0000

Product Code: XSP

PDA: I9506XXUBND2

CSC: I9506OLBBND1

MODEM: I9506XXUBMK7

variance e sammobile com (I never had any problem) is good.

That was how I got 4.2.2 back on, used Odin (great little program). Problem is 4.3 will not work on my phone anymore, it needs Secure Boot to function properly and it's perminantly disabled due to the blown Qfuse (and my bootloader is perminantly locked too). Considering it should of bricked my phone, I'm not going to tempt fate! rather stick on 4.2.2 knowing it will work fine then risk bricking it (a second time) just to get 4.3 which won't even work properly anyway. Samsung went pretty hardcore with the tampering protection on this phone, just ironic it got tripped by Samsung. I can't send it back to be replaced either because I did tamper with it to get 4.2.2 back on it. Thereby I have a blown Qfuse and no evidence the 4.3 update did it. So when they see it's running 4.2.2 and check the fuse, they'll just send it back saying I tampered with it so they won't fix it/replace it. So it my own fault, I should of just taken it back but I've never been good at leaving things alone :-P I like to tinker too much and got burnt this time. I take full responsibilty for it.

bushavaAzbuka
0 Kudos

Well i'm one of those who "survived" the 4.3 update without any bug (i think) , probably because i did it via wi-fi, and now i don't know if i need to make this update or not. I'm a bit sceptic now for every new update , so i guess i'll wait some time to see the feedback for this one.

Occasional Contributor
KitEKat
0 Kudos

Come on in, the waters fine.. Just make sure you do it over the air and not Kies..
Jim123
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I updated via Kies and now no wi-fi at all, I also get the red SECURE FAIL : KERNEL in red on restart.

So how do I go about fixing this

Ashley
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am following up what is happening with the update and I will get back to you as soon as I hear back

Ashley

Backflip14
0 Kudos

Jim123 wrote:

I updated via Kies and now no wi-fi at all, I also get the red SECURE FAIL : KERNEL in red on restart.

So how do I go about fixing this

I had to take my phone back to a Telstra Shop. They sent it away to get repaired and gave me a loan phone in the meantime. The phone seems to be ok since i got it back.

>