CROWDSUPPORT ®

Established Member
jec782
0 Kudos

Samsung Galaxy SII 3G - 4.0.4 update

To anyone out-there,

Does anoyone know if the Samsung Galaxy SII on Telstras 3G (not 4G) network will receive this new 4.0.4 update?

I have been searching around everywhere and all I see is that the Samsung Galaxy SII on the 4G network will or has already received the update or other providers such as Vodafone and Optus have giving out the update to their customers.

Will the Samsung Galaxy SII on the 3G networkby Telstra receive this new 4.0.4 update and if so when will it be?

Tech Bar Team
JCKH
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung Galaxy SII 3G - 4.0.4 update

Hey jec782,

There have been some major delays with the latest updates for this particular handset and further explanation can be found here -> http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Delays-with-Galaxy-S-2-4G-Galaxy-Tab-8-9-quot-I...

I have been told by our local samsung rep who talked to their higher-ups about this particular issue on my request, that they are hoping to aim for mid december. As to whether that timeframe will be met we'll have to wait and see, here's hoping for the best!
Josh | Tech Expert |

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Super Contributor
haydencoonan

Read the question, JCKH - the delays refer to the 4g version, not the one in question here..
Tech Bar Team
JCKH
0 Kudos

sorry mate, my mistake there, I haven't heard anything personally around the 4.0.4 update for the 3G version, my thoughts are there might not be too much planned for it but i'll see if I can touch base with our samsung rep and get a definate for you.
Josh | Tech Expert |

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

:smileywink:

I think a jelly bean update would probably be a better focus.. :smileyhappy:
Established Member
jec782
0 Kudos

Thank you for some insight on my question. Like I stated in my question I do hope there will soon be an update for the Samsung Galaxy SII on the 3G network as that other companies (Optus and Vodafone) have provided it to their customers.

Better yet, would be nice if Telstra could offer a free gift to their returning customers (like myself) by giving a free phone with the latest upgrades.

I'll keep eyes open next month for any updates!!!

Contributor
wdtvandsound
0 Kudos

murd0rau
0 Kudos

I updated my Galaxy S3 3G just now.

By following the instructions here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOCKkS8e0yU

If you click "show more" where the description for the video is, you need to download 3 things (about 800mb all up). And the process literally took me 30 minutes to complete.

It has kept all my widgets and data, the only thing I think that has changed is I now don't get the annoying crazy telstra logo on startup/shutdown

- Murd0r

murd0rau
0 Kudos

This was to update to jelly bean.
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Reminder - Performing unauthorised software upgrades on your Mobile Phone may cause irrepairable damage to your device, and may void your warranty. If you don't know what you are doing, it is recommended that you wait for an appproved update

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Tech Bar Team
JCKH
0 Kudos

Hey guys,

My sources are telling me there are no current plans to update to 4.0.4 unfortunately.

As always, this can be subject to change, but right now there does not appear to be further upgrade path planned :smileysad:
Josh | Tech Expert |

Super Contributor
haydencoonan
0 Kudos

Josh - I ask only 'cause my wife has the S2, but doesn't care so much about the updates - but wasn't there some mention of a 4.1 update?  It's okay, finding the phone works pretty well now.. but I was sure something was said.. 

Contributor
dunners
0 Kudos

Tech Bar Team
JCKH
0 Kudos

I think we'll have to wait and see if samsung decide to submit the firmware for testing to telstra, my sources have told me 4.0.4 isnt in the works at the moment, so whether they're waiting to jump straight to 4.1 or not will be the question i reckon
Josh | Tech Expert |

Contributor
smadge1
0 Kudos

The 4.0.3 update we got for the S2 3G was the worst ever, the only reason I'm holding onto this phone is for the eventual update to 4.1

it would be very annoying for me and a lot of other customers if the update to 4.1 didn't happen (or at least 4.0.4)

but then again, it's not unknown for a phone to be in the running for an update, only to have the update cancelled at the last minute due to "unforeseen problems" (such as a drop in new handset sales...)

Contributor
dunners
0 Kudos

smadge1 wrote:

it would be very annoying for me and a lot of other customers if the update to 4.1 didn't happen (or at least 4.0.4)

but then again, it's not unknown for a phone to be in the running for an update, only to have the update cancelled at the last minute due to "unforeseen problems" (such as a drop in new handset sales...)

The problem is because Australia is such a small market alot of the time manufacturers can't justify the expense to produce a whole firmware for so little amount of people.

As i mentioned before there will be an update for the Galaxy S II to 4.1 Jelly Bean, i'm just worried that if it doesn't start rolling out soon in the big markets (US and Europe) Australia will never see it.

The Galaxy S II is becoming an old device now and usually updates don't go past approx 24mths. I can see that if Jelly Bean doesn't roll out before April next year we'll probs never see it.

Contributor
smadge1
0 Kudos

I bought mine on contract in Dec 2011, so still have 12 months left on the contract, it's seen 2 updates in this time, but the latest update to 4.0.3 has left it in such a mess, I am only slightly happier than if it was left on 2.3.6.

no doubt, if the phone receives 4.1, it should maintain some good resale value at the end of the 24 month contract.

but if this drags on, I guess I will have to succumb to the urge to buy a more up-to-date handset (Samsung Galaxy Note II)