Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

donatien
0 Kudos

kitkat update note 3??

When will the kitkat update be available for the note 3? Taking too long.
Senior Moderators
Steph
0 Kudos

Re: kitkat update note 3??

Hi donatien, 

We haven't actually got the software from Samsung as yet, so it's going to be a few weeks at the very least. 

Steph
Senior Moderator
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team
PM Steph - I’m a member of the Overnight Team, so I’ll reply to messages between 10:30pm – 7:00am on the days I’m working.

Live Chat with Telstra

Need help? Check out our KnowledgeBase here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution
All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Occasional Contributor
Maxama123
0 Kudos

+1. Can't wait for Note 3 update to Kitkat 4.4.2. Hurray !!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Shaunusiam
0 Kudos

Any update on this guys? I just "upgraded" to the Note 3 (from the S4 - which I had running Kit Kat).....and it's getting frustrating using Jellybean 4.3 when I used to have Kit Kat 4.4 on my S4, knowing how it used to be. Feels like such a step back on lots of points......

Just wish Australia was given a better update schedule this.......perhaps if you guys (Telstra) were pushing a bit harder for it?

Occasional Visitor
TechMan
0 Kudos

When the update for note 3 is gonna happen?
Senior Moderators
Steph
0 Kudos

As soon as we have any information, we will add it to the Handset Update board, in the Device Update section of CrowdSupport :-)

Steph
Senior Moderator
PM Steph - I’m a member of the Overnight Team, so I’ll reply to messages between 10:30pm – 7:00am on the days I’m working.

Live Chat with Telstra

Need help? Check out our KnowledgeBase here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution
New Contributor
Abbysdad
0 Kudos

I've just had a really frustrating conversation with Samsung about this update.

Apparently Samsung Australia have no details for when or even if Kit Kat will be released for the Note 3 or the S4.

All they could tell me was that the software required extensive testing before release to which I replied wouldn't it already be tested if it's been released all around the world Their answer was a deafening silence followed by thank you for comtacting Samsung.

Bloody arrogant.

Angela_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We have no information on this at this stage

The latest device updates were listed on the 25/03/2014 http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-Software-Updates-25-03-2014/td-p/270471

Angela

Visitor
Fraser84
0 Kudos

COME ON!!! FFS Kitkat was released last year.. other carriers have it for the note 3... what's the hold up??????????????
DingoDan

Hey Fraser84,

We have to wait for the update to be submitted to us by Samsung so that we can test it with our software and network. No update as yet when this is to be submitted, but once we have this known it will be posted on the Device Update thread in Crowd Support. 

Dingo
Please send Kudo's to replies you think are worthy :smileytongue:

SirNikolas

COME ON!

THE REST OF THE PLANET HAS IT AND WE STILL DON'T!!

GET WITH THE PROGRAM GUYS!!

Occasional Visitor
Gnome23
0 Kudos

Steph

Does this mean that Samsung have not yet given Telstra a timeline for them to deliver KitKat to Telstra?

Gnome23

TommyR
0 Kudos

Hi Gnome23,

This is correct, We cannot release it until we have the update to provide. Keep updated by following the Device software updated through Crowd support http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/bd-p/Device_Updates

Regards - Tom

Tom,

Telstra Social Media Team

Established Member
Cheazdad
0 Kudos

so does this mean a person with a Note 3 from another carrier, who has Kit Kat on their phone wouldnt be able to transfer that phone over and use it on the Telstra network ?

Because each and every phone company in Australia uses a completly different and alien system from the next carrier ?

I never new that....

and here i was thinking that we had a clearly defined and regulated insdustry that mandates what radio frequencies are used with mobile phones... after all, isnt it PHONE software.... the signal it uses communicate with the network is an industry standard.

You know, like other carriers using Telstra towers that sort of thing...

Established Member
Cheazdad
0 Kudos

Thank god we don't buy PC's from Telstra... or we'd all still be running windows 3.1

uccoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

none of the australian note 3 has official KK update yet , we have to blame samsung 1st, but also need to blame telstra .... 
anyway, KK note 3 does not have much improvement except it BREAKS your sd card writing from some software, I personally think it is better to stay with JB instead. 

Visitor
GM_01
0 Kudos

Sprint in the US has released Kit Kat for Samsung Note 3 last week.  Can't be that far away????

Occasional Visitor
DWMD
0 Kudos

I installed the Polish ROM two months ago and love the KitKat update - it works perfectly with my Australian Note 3 and you can change the standard docked apps as well. As it's a standard ROM it doesn't void your warranty.

ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can check our device updates page for information as it's released

Telstra does not support the rooting of your phone  

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Lol @ the mods here, no clue as to software upgrades, and who mentioned rooting?
Karenlee
0 Kudos

Since I purchased my phone outright and don't have to worry about Telstra's warranty I downloaded Odin, and downloaded an official kitkat version from the UK, My phone is NOT rooted. this is an offical release and I simply flashed it to my phone without the need to root it first.

Telstra take far too long with updates and for those of you who miss moving your dock icons around to your personal liking,.... this is locked in Australia only. Every other Country allow them to move! Totally worth the flashing.

Established Member
Cheazdad
0 Kudos

So Poland has it, Germany has it, the US has it as well as the UK..

I would venture then to say Europe as whole has it it then, along with the Americas in general (US, Canada and South America..one in all in most probably)

So that leaves Australia and one or two other ignored countries...

Is it that you chaps can't find a phone to call Samsung and ask where it is, or get a decent internet connection to use Google to find their phone number ? if thats the problem i'm more than happy to give them a call on Telstras behalf.

To be honest with you, a phone is simply hardware running on Software...and Samsung cant be writing Software for every single country as the hardware variations are limited to a couple of versions, with the UK hardware being the same as ours as i'm led to understand.  The software variations would be simply limited to how the phone connects to the network and the hardware for the networks is based on a universal standard and in itself is a simple bit of code, thats already being used by the phone, running android.

And if Kit Kat is already available in Australia for other phones on the Telstra network then i can't see what the delay is.

Just curious...

Renee
0 Kudos

Heya Cheazdad,

We are still awaiting word on the Kit Kat update and we're not the only carrier to be in this position. 

It is appreciated that it is very frustrating, I can assure you this is not something we are holding back; we know many of our customers are keen to see this update deployed.

Once more information on the update does become available, you can be sure that we will be letting everyone know.

Renee :smileyhappy:

Bilious
0 Kudos

Has anyone even tried to get information from Samsung about the update? The s5 was released with it and its been released all over the globe for other divices but not here.dose this mean Telstra's stand on the matter is cater for new hardware and the people with older hardware can just meh off and be happy with "its not us its Samsung blame samgsung" ?
kimchigal
0 Kudos

It has been a month since they said they will release in few weeks time. My friend bought her note 3 in Malaysia a week ago that already comes with kitkat 4.2.2. Her phone is working all fine. Why does Samsung Australia need to have it tested again? 

I hope the update comes real soon.

Killsmart7
0 Kudos

C,mon Telstra where is our update? Last time I'm buying samsung. I'm going back to iphone 6 when it comes out
Technical Support
Matt_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd suggest monitoring our device updates page for any future updates for this device: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/bd-p/Device_Updates

-Matt W

Telstra Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Killsmart7
0 Kudos

I been monitoring over a month now I'm getting fed up with Telstra saying its coming it's coming. Guess what? note 4 will be here by then
mr_tim
0 Kudos

yes and the note 4 will become another Telstra flagship phone and they will expect you to upgrade to that. At the mo its the S5.

unfortunatly our market is quite small and the carriers here don't have very much influence with the manufacturers, just look how they now have to handle warranty and not just a swap on the spot like alot of other countres.

Fix Australia, Sack the government.
tnomis

[ Edited ]

I am thoroughly disappointed.

I will be discouraging people from buying samsung products, and signing up to the telstra network as a result of this inadequate service. I will also not be doing either of these things again in my life.

Apple understands you can't let incompetent companies (looking at you Telstra) influence software rollouts The sooner samsung realize this the better off they will be.

Yours sincerely,

Irritated ex - customer.

<Post has been edited to remove inappropriate language>

sammiip01
0 Kudos

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-Software-Updates-30-05-2014/td-p/30977...

apparently from what Telstra wrote on this thread that we should expect the update around 14 July. :-(
werasmus
0 Kudos

I updated to the official OTA KitKat 4.4.2 Telstra last night