Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Hoax calls, hoax emails.. we have you covered...

[ Edited ]

With the increase in the number of hoax emails and hoax callers claiming to be from Telstra, I thought I’d let you know about the information and advice we have posted in our Help / FAQ site that cover these type of situations, along with a reporting mechanism we have set-up for customers to report phishing scams, hoax calls etc...

Happy to have any thoughts/feedback on any of the information we have up there.

Thanks

CrowdSurfer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we've been able to answer your question, please tag the answer as an accepted solution - this will make it easier for the rest of the community to locate the answer too ."

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Hoax calls, hoax emails.. we have you covered...

My biggest concern as a customer (and employee) is trying to determine which calls from Telstra are true, and which calls are false.

Its great when we don't ask for personal information (like a MMS fault I reported recently) but its also really concerning when either us or our Partners (Overseas or Domsetically) are calling for issues like Credit Management, where we have to ID our customers.

I'm suggesting being able to disclose a piece of information (such as the Bill Number of the most recent bill, or the last 4 digits of the Account Number) so that customers know that its us calling. Would go a long way to stopping the fake calls for account information.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the post Ben, we are always looking for ways to improve our service and I'm been in discussions with one of our Corporate Affairs advisors to review your suggestion,

Thanks again

CrowdSurfer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we've been able to answer your question, please tag the answer as an accepted solution - this will make it easier for the rest of the community to locate the answer too ."

Tech Bar Team
JCKH
0 Kudos

Perhaps requiring certain departments that need to contact customers directly to discuss potentially sensitive information are all required to be based in Australia so that we can pretty much ensure to customers that calls being made to them by Telstra are going to be from Australian call centres and Australian consultants. This would help to cut out the overseas factor in fraud, and anything coming from onshore I suspect would be easier to trace and prosecute anyway. Not really an iron clad solution, but I think it would help in providing more certainty to customers about where calls from Telstra should be originating from, and give customers a better chance of spotting potential fraudulent calls.

Josh | Tech Expert |

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good to see some chatter around this topic already, and our security teams are always working hard to ensure these types of activities are a top priority and are kept in check. 

If you have received a hoax email/call, did you find the information available online sufficient, and did you go on and complete the misuse of service form to report it?

For those worried about Hoax emails, I'd very much welcome your feedback on the information we have here: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/results?query=hoax and if it meets your expectations?

Ben_F
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/what-to-do-if-you-receive-a-hoax-call-claiming-to-be-from-...

• Do not give out your personal, credit card or online account details over the phone unless you made the call and the phone number came from a trusted source.

Since we do call our customers to request payment (from a Credit Management perspective), and advise the risks of non-payment, this doesn't make much sense. It could also cause customers to be disconnected or increase customer frustration if they followed this advice. Perhaps something about contacting Telstra to confirm would be better?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
0 Kudos

Certainly appreciate that call out, I would like to stress though that the first part of this answer states: "Some Telstra/BigPond® customers have recently reported receiving calls from people claiming they represent various reputable companies and who try to convince the customer that their computer is infected with viruses. They may then try to sell software to the customer to remove these viruses or seek remote access to the customer’s computer." Which doesn't really cover off our Credit Management team making outbound calls to discuss an overdue account balance, and there would not be any reason our CM team would want to discuss viruses or attempt to sell software nor seek remote access to our customer's computer. Naturally if anyone is ever concerned about a call claiming to be from Telstra/BigPond you are able to advise of your concerns, if you are still concerned simply hang up and call us back on 13 22 00 to discuss the matter. Thanks CrowdSurfer

Ben_F
0 Kudos

CrowdSurfer wrote:
Certainly appreciate that call out, I would like to stress though that the first part of this answer states: "Some Telstra/BigPond® customers have recently reported receiving calls from people claiming they represent various reputable companies and who try to convince the customer that their computer is infected with viruses. They may then try to sell software to the customer to remove these viruses or seek remote access to the customer’s computer." Which doesn't really cover off our Credit Management team making outbound calls to discuss an overdue account balance, and there would not be any reason our CM team would want to discuss viruses or attempt to sell software nor seek remote access to our customer's computer. Naturally if anyone is ever concerned about a call claiming to be from Telstra/BigPond you are able to advise of your concerns, if you are still concerned simply hang up and call us back on 13 22 00 to discuss the matter. Thanks CrowdSurfer

True, but I still think there should be something on the FAQs that prompts the customer to contact us if they are concerned about their account safety :smileywink:.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Occasional Visitor
craz09
0 Kudos

I have just received a call at 3PM from a man (indian accent) who tried to convince me that I had a lot of viruses on my computer. I firmly told him that I do have anti-virus in place and hung up. Beware people, I am very tempted to have my number not listed as we are having a number of telemarketing calls from Telstra and Origins (Electricity) who seem to have all my details! I refuse to disclose my account number, date of birth, monies etc. but how some of these telemarketers get these details I'll never know! 

roger_roger
0 Kudos

Hi,

The links above seem only for BigPond emails, not Hoax Phone calls as stated in the title.

I had a hoax phone call from an Indian call centre claiming to be Telstra. They said there was a problem with my broadband connection and they needed to verify my details. (it was clealy wrong because my land line and broadband is not with Telstra)

I refused to co-operate and then they got abusive and hung up. 

So this is to let Telstra know that these scams are on going and there is very little mechanism to report it. Also it seems the authorities and the Telco's have very little power to block these annoying and illegal calls. I would love to see all calls of this nature blocked at source by the Telcos but it seems too hard.

Contributor
dauser
0 Kudos

Sadly, if I hear an Indian voice or an americanised Phillippines voice I just hang up.

Too many scammers.

Occasional Visitor
NOWORKINGFOXTEL
0 Kudos

I get these calls at least twice a week, sometimes up to 4 times. I am at my wits end with them. I had one scumbag call after 11pm one night and then get abusive and continue to call back every 10 mins. My suggestion is to keep a whistle by the phone to try and damage their hearing. They might flag the number as do not call, eventually.

ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi NOWORKINGFOXTEL,

If you're receiving unwelcome calls I'd suggest to register your number with https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ . The Do Not Call Register is a database of phone numbers that customers can register on to indicate that they don't want to receive unsolicited telemarketing calls. You can do this via the website, by mail to "Do Not Call Register, PO Box 42, North Melbourne VIC 3051" or by phone on 1300 792 958. Registration is free and lasts for eight years at which point you would need to re-register the number in order for it to stay listed on the Do Not Call Register. You can also remove your phone number at any time. Please keep in mind It may take up to 30 days for a registration to become effective.

If you do not wish to receive Telstra telemarketing calls, or for information on our telemarketing opt out process, please call us on 1800 039 059 (9am-7pm EST Mon to Fri, excluding public holidays).

You can view more information on unwelcome calls here http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/advice/unwelcome-calls/

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Love2dream
0 Kudos

I have been receiving those phone calls on my home phone everyday for the past week! The woman would start by saying "mam this is an urgent phone call regrading your computer", then she tries to scare me that my internet will be cut off from tomorrow. Once u do what they say they get control of your pc and tries to steal password to your Internet banking etc. if this happens to you just disconnect your internet( turn off your modem) and make sure all sensitive info and deleted before you connect to Internet again!
Love2dream
0 Kudos

I tried the do not call register, doesn't work for those ones...
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Love2dream,

If you do get another call from this people, I would recommend taking note of the times it happened, the length of the call and if you can get their contact details or even name of caller it will help in the investigation.

I would recommend that you report this through the government's ScamWatch site.

With kind regards,

-Joe:smileyhappy:
Telstra Social Media Team - Community Moderator

bromlady
0 Kudos

I have received an email claiming to be from paypal saying I bought something which i didn't, I wanted to inform telstra about this. How do I do it?

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Hi there, is it stating that you bought something from Telstra?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
bromlady
0 Kudos

No it hasn't said that, it said i bought it from ebay but came in my bigpond email

Community Leader
DEANJA

OK, Dear me they are trying every trick in the book these scammers. Unfortunately Telstra has no control over this type of email which are normally randomly generated by compputers overseas, you get one, someone up the street gets one, Telstra customer maybe a customer of a different Telecomunications company.

I'd suggest you report it to Scam Watch at the following link;

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/Scamwatch/

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.

Thanks
Jeff
bromlady
0 Kudos

thanks for your help Jeff

Dannjulz

I just received a call from a woman claiming to be bigpond and we are about to disconnect your internet. They supplied me with a id no, there name and told me they are in Sydney, all very convincing. Stupidly I allowed them onto my computer then when they asked me for my credit card details I again asked him (the supervisor) for his id and that I was calling telstra, he gave me his id number and waited while I called telstra, to which surprise they didn't know him and a conference call was taking place. The real man from telstra was extremely helpful but now my PC is playing up and I have to do a format on it grrrr
Be very careful, the buggers can be very convincing
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

If you have given them your CC details, phone your bank straight away!!!!!

Once they get onto your computer they can get into any online banking you do, your email mailing lists and more.

I'd disconect the computer from the internet straight away, and don't connect up again until your done a re-formatting etc.

If you aren't connected they can't continue to access it.

Thanks
Jeff
raytoms
0 Kudos

Today I received a call, supposedly from Telstra support.

When pressed, I was given details of the caller as:

Located in 215 Miller Street North Sydney

Name: John Paul

Tel: 860561 147

Testra staff ID: TLAUS01895

I was told that everyone is being called to remove a malicious file from their computers.

I said I would not allow them to connect and to give me more detail abut what file and what was to be done. They 'assured' me that they would not touch my computer and that I would be removing the offending file myself.

After doing a few safe things like asking me to look at the Windows logs, they asked me to type the following in the RUN command:

www.too.gl/399

This was apparently to connect to their server so that it could repair my computer.

Obviously I did not do this. Connecting to an unknown service.

BTW the line was terrible, with lots of backgroud noise. When I asked too many questions, I was put on to a Supervisor, and then the Supervisor's Supervisor, who still had a poor grasp of english and did not answer my questions, so I hung up.

This sounded so much like the Microsoft Support calls, that I think they use the same script but change the company name.

raytoms
0 Kudos

Sorry, mis-typed that phone number: 02 800 561 147 (not usual to have 02 in front of an 800 number?)

Dani39
0 Kudos

Hi raytoms

Some Telstra customers have recently reported receiving calls from people claiming they represent various reputable companies and who try to convince the customer that their computer is infected with viruses.
They may then try to sell software to the customer to remove these viruses or seek remote access to the customer's computer.
Such calls may be part of a scam and can target anyone, not just Telstra customers.

What do I do if you receive a call?
  • Hang up.
  • NEVER give a stranger remote access to your computer.
  • Do not give out your personal, credit card or online account details over the phone unless you made the call and the phone number came from a trusted source.
  • Make sure your computer is protected with anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a good firewall - but only purchase the software from a source that you know and trust.
  • If you think you have provided your account details to a scammer, contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
If you suspect or have been scammed by an organisation misrepresenting Telstra please report it to us via the  BigPond Misuse of Service form.

You will also find this website helpful and a good read: http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1134129
Erica235
0 Kudos

NB:  I used the reporting link but there is no option for landline calls:  I recently changed my number due to numorous (puttng is mildly)  unsolicited calls - 41 in one day!

Yesterday I had 3 missed calls from "overseas" number so it's starting again. I answered another "overseas" call a few minutes ago and an ?Indian? woman said she was calling from"Telstra" internet service and said they "are going to disconect my internet due to my computer having a virus". She then started to say something about fxing it while I had my computer on but I cut her off and said if she calls again I'd call the police. Then I hung up.

Is this legit & what can I do about it?

Ben_J
0 Kudos

Hi Erica,

What you've described is definitely a scam call. They try to access your computer to search for personal information.

Erica235
0 Kudos

Thought so but the number of calls I'm getting is ridiculous. I only changed my number a couple weeks ago.
Visitor
sarvowinner
0 Kudos

This is so frustrating, the only calls I get on my land line are hoax Telstra calls.  Sometimes 3-4 a day.  Wen the last woman called, I interrupted her spiel by saying "You're lying"! .  She hesitated, replied "Yes" & hung up.  

What really peeves me is that Telstra requires me to pay for a landline so I can get internet.  As we are in a Velocity building, we have no other alternatives for internet (which is fantastic BTW).  However why do I have to put up with all the spam calls? We are already on the DNC register but as these people are fraudulent, it means nothing to them.

Patrice
0 Kudos

Hi Sarvowinner, 

I can definitely understand how frustrating this would be for you. 

All I can recommend in this instance is possibly reporting this to http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/ so it can be investigated further. Regrettably, as you've identified, there is little we can do to prevent these calls however if we all report each instance hopefully we can put a stop to these calls from occurring. 

- Patrice

Wackyandwob
0 Kudos

Received a call from a guy claiming to be telstra tonight. He told us that our internet would be disconnected for 5 days but he could resolve it by helping us check some things on our computer (we played along). He asked if we could log on to TeamViewer.com (which allows them full remote access to your computer). He was pretty persistent even when I confronted him about being a scam artist and he became very insistent that I follow his instructions.

Please beware...
Ben_J
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing, Wackyandwob.

>