Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Visitor
BClay
0 Kudos

Why is my internet so slow when we have not exceeded our usage.

Hi,

we live in Abbotsford Vic, have an ADSL 2+ connection, promised atleast 15 mbps but are getting 0.75 mbps (as per speedtest.net)????

Would be great to get better speeds or what was promised.

Brad

Occasional Contributor
jefsims

Re: Why is my internet so slow when we have not exceeded our usage.

Hi, Firstly don't take a "Promised Speed" as exactly what you'll get on ADSL, there are a number of factors that contribute to what speed you will receive (such as line conditions, equipment in your home such as foxtel) etc.

1. Go to your modems control webpage and paste in here the "Line Statistics"

2. Do you have a filter on the line (between the socket and your modem)?

3. Do you have a B2B (Back to Base) alarm system?

4. Do you have Foxtel (Non iQ, iQ, iQHD) which is connected to the phone line?
(Foxtel boxes seem to leak voltage out the phone socket which destroys the ADSL line sync I found)

5. Have you done any troubleshooting at all?

Whilst you might see ads like "Superfast ADSL Broadband", you'll find nobody will promise you 15mbps or 24mbps etc etc. You'll see things like "Upto 24mbps" because you can get upto that figure in theory.

Jeffy 

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

Re: Why is my internet so slow when we have not exceeded our usage.

BClay wrote:
… promised atleast 15 mbps …
Just to clarify, who promised you that?
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
>