Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

jnorman
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

ADSL 2+ Slow Speeds

hi everyone,

After over 8 hrs on the phone to telstra, i still havnt got anywhere with my problem, so im turning to this site for advise.

Basicly i have moved into a a house and there was a dail tone, couldnt make any calls yet as i hadnt signed up.

Signed up for home phone and ADSL 2+  50GB.

They said it would take upto 48hrs to connect phone and a day or so latter ADSL.

it took 3 weeks to connect the phone! and the adsl they never contacted me with log in details.

once i had got the modem set up which was a big problem as the guy who owns the house did some wiring him self i had to fix it first (iam a electrican)

i connected finally and was quite shocked by the speeds i was getting.

I called telstra bigpond support and they said if iam getting 100kb/s then thats more than enough and i should be happy.

What a joke!!!

i come from a country town (population 2,500) which had no upgrades to the exchange and i was getting 1-1.4mb/s and that was with the same set up and modem and everything.

It was about 2kms from exchange.

I expected moving to a large town with 5000x more people in it would mean better exchanges and better results.

Iam currently in lilydale, towards mt ev / monstrose.

Driving to the town center is 3.9km

Birds eye view is prob 2kms

im not sure where the lilydale exchange is, but at a guess its in the main area of the town.

i have had my friend who works for telstra, preform a line test and also check which exchange im connected to which ends up to be lilydale, line test shows no problem, but he did say im write on the edge of having issues, as it isnt far out of being spec.

My current speeds using this:

https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19652

i downloaded the file, getting 240-300kb/s tops, but can drop a far bit. to 100kb/s

This is same speed throughout peak and non peak times

i have found my modem drops out every now and then through the day.

I have tryed isolating all phone points and running the modem direct of the lead in cable from the front of house but same results.

i have also tryed using another modem/filters etc and same results.

my modem snyc speed is usually around      D2.5-3mb/s  U0.4-0.7kb/s

i did notice a few errors on downstream HEC error.

ADSL Statistics

Mode:G.DMT 
Type:Interleave 
Line Coding:Trellis On

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB):6.1 24.0 
Attenuation (dB):57.0 31.5 
Output Power (dBm):12.3 18.3 
Attainable Rate (Kbps):4736 1168 
Rate (Kbps):4256 384 
D (interleaver depth) :64 
Delay (msec) :16 

HEC Errors :29 
OCD Errors :
LCD Errors :

Total ES:1213 25553 

my friend from telstra said try change your plan from adsl 2 to adsl 1 and see if that improves the speed.

Also said i shouldnt have to pay that much for that service, when i can pay for adsl 1 service and get same speed.

I did this and no difference, so i can just put up with the **bleep** speed or go back to adsl2 + and try get this sorted so  i can have normal speed like everyone else pays for.

Any advise would be great please, iv had about enough of telstra and them not returning calls etc

Community Leader
Wanglese
0 Kudos

Re: ADSL 2+ Slow Speeds

Your line attenuation is going to influence the speeds you get.

Not sure you are actually going to get much better speeds with that level of attenuation

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

If I or ANYONE has provided a solution to your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution. This helps others who may come along after you.

Have you tried typing in the "How can we help you?", or "Search this forum" field, right at the top of every page of CrowdSupport? and pressing "Find Answers" You might find that your issue has been solved, or is already being discussed.
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi jnorman,

I am sending you a private message to request your details.

I will look to see if there is anything that can be done to improve your service.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
jnorman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

is there anything to do to fix the level of attenuation?

I have a friend on wireless and they say they are getting faster speeds, i dont see how speed can be so slow in a built up area, i understand in peak times, but i have that feeling there is a issue somewhere still

i sent a PM thanks.

Also i i went into config tag in bigpond website to change line settings from standard to Noise Profile 1 to see if that helps. there is one other option Noise Profile 2 but they must be done 24hrs apart.

Honoured Contributor
Kalak

Hopefully MichelleP can help, because IIRC 57db attenuation is outside of what Telstra normally allow for ADSL.

Please update us on how things progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
jnorman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

waiting for michelleP to get back to me, thanks for advise everyone, will advise on progress

edit:

Read somewhere on here:

Telstra limit is 56dB @300kHz this calculates out to 13.81dB /Km based on 0.40mm PIUT cable.

Iam sitting at 57dB which would explain the modem drop outs.

at least im 95% sure its telstras side where the problem lies, so if a tech is required there would be no charge

Also im not sure if this had something to do with anything, but i seem to get a few calls from people asking for a name of a person and a address which is not me, this was a new number so dont know if people are just miss typing the number or there is a cross over somewhere??

jnorman
0 Kudos

i have been getting a few calls within the past 1-2hrs and i anwsered them to find a fax like noise on the other end, at a guess someone is trying to send me a fax (which is odd) or maybe its someone doing a line test? not sure if the line test makes that noise

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi jnorman,

It's probably just a coincidence. When we test your line, you wont notice a thing.

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Unless you resync the port in OATS :smileytongue:

Yet to find a tech support person who knows what the results of an OATS test actually mean ;-)

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jnorman
0 Kudos

still having all sorts of issues, speed has now dropped to 1-2kb/s and connection drops out all the time, can barely load google. getting phone calls very few times a day from what sounds like a fax machine.

just seems to be very random connection, which doesnt seem right

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hiya JNorman,

i will be calling you shortly to speak with you about the speeds that you are experiencing, however, in regards to the fax tones, I would recommend that you have a look at this information about Unwelcome Calls 

It is also important to make sure that you have everything filtered correctly, as this could be impacting the speed that you are experiencing, ontop of the difficulties you have due to your distance to the exchange. 

Review the following instructions on how to perform an isolation test to see if this makes an improvement for you.

jnorman
0 Kudos

thanks for the reply shelly, speeds have improved quite a bit since lunchtime, last nite was quite bad, couldnt load websites barely or youtube wouldnt stream at all.

i looked into my modem stats and its showing a few errors which i dont think should be there.

i dont know how i could get un welcome calls when my number hasnt been given to anyone yet, and the werid thing is its fax sounding, not a telemarketer. saying that i do get calls from people asking for someone who is not me, its sort of like this is someone elses number??

i have tested everything, and done isolation tests etc no difference

my snyc speed is not to bad, used to max out at 2800 / 850kbps

ADSL Statistics

Mode:ADSL2+
Line Coding:Trellis On

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB):6.76.7
Attenuation (dB):58.536.6
Output Power (dBm):12.318.2
Attainable Rate (Kbps):50081041
Rate (Kbps):38751021
D (interleaver depth) :11
Delay (msec) :00

HEC Errors :503770
OCD Errors :20
LCD Errors :00

Total ES:159966
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi JNorman,

I can see that you have your profile set to fast. This does not necessarily improve your service, however it can open the door to cause problems.

I would recommend that you change the profile back to standard or line profile 1 and see if this makes any improvement for you.

You can change this by logging into MyBigPond, clicking on your plan and then the Configuration tab.

jnorman
0 Kudos

i have only recently changed that profile within last few hrs, it would probally be in affect around now.

the problem was on the standard profile, so i thought id try fast and see if it improves anything. i do know it may be worse in stablilty

will let you know results

jnorman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

still having issues, my config settings are back on standard, but my modem was disconnected for 30mins last night and i found the auth login details where rejected on the modem page, it keept trying to reconnect but no luck i had to reset the modem and it finally connected.

speeds have varyed a lot, but still quite unstable

also getting those phone calls still, its so anoying and i got 4 calls in the last hour today.

which sounded like a fax, it went beep... beep...beep

this is my business number and i cant sit there answering fax machine like calls all day,

i have only printed this number on my business cards which only has been in past week i started to hand out.

i have not given my number out so i dont see how i can get these calls?

i have spent weeks on the phone and hrs waiting on hold.

they have messed up my bill overcharging me, issues with my phone, and issues with the internet

feel like i should be getting some sort of a refund for such a poor service

edit:

telstra tech is comming out next few days to have a look, fingers crossed we can sort it

Frequent Visitor
leve
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not sure how you went with tech please let people know.

From past experience I tried Telstra bigpond and had same problems 100kbs And tech support told me that is acceptable and nothing they can do about it lol. 1.5 k from exchange previous on tpg 1500 plan was getting top speeds no drop outs perfect.Thought switching to adsl2 i would be like other people speeds off aroung 10mbs or so but no 100kbs couldnt load pages do nothing. After 2 months arguing and promises of tech comming to fix problem nothing happened, so went to ombusman and fixed the problem by moving to another provider and from day one got 8 to 9 mbs speeds constant any time off the day.

Anyway friends have told me that that's the  thing off the past with telstra, all is good now but by your posts it dont look like it.

I have just got telstra back on one line and bundled bigpond with it so will see in a couple days if things have improved or not.

Solution is if your not getting anywhere tell them you want out and try another provider and if they charge you, youll be going through the proper channels.

Now on your second problem with fax noise it's common. Some companies auto generate this faxes and someone has put it your phone number by mistake.

Only solution is when you next get that call dont hang up  and ring telstra on your mobile and tell them the problem and you have got the line still  alive. That way they trace it and make it stop within 24 hour's.

Ps no need to ask what company was causing it as they wont tell you lol :smileyhappy:

On charging you should not be paying for a service like that and insist on a refund.