Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Established Member
Mick78
0 Kudos

Concentrator not reachable - 587n v3

G'day,

I only have the one phone socket in my residence, no alarm of any type and the only thing connected to my line is the 587n v3. The Telstra tech who came who installed the outlet said that it was, "one fo the best connections he had ever seen".

I've been unable to access the Internet for three days know.

The TG587n v3 gives me the following error: Connection could not be established: Concentrator not reachable.

I've rang Bigpond support every day and get the usual level one support run around, then told there is nothing wrong.

I have reset the device multiple times, This error is displayed every time.

I have sync with the exchange and my stats are as follows:

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:09:39

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 7.616

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/B]: 48,29 / 0

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 7,9 / 19,4

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9,0 / 14,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 25,3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0

I need to get this fixed and Telstra support seem unable to do it.

Can anyone provide me with imformation regarding this error and how to get it fixed?

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F

Re: Concentrator not reachable - 587n v3

Just did some googling, and found this article: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1793324

Seems to indicate a problem with the VPI/VCI as being part of the issue. Can you factory reset the modem and try and set the VPI/VCI if possible (I don't have one of those so I'm not sure how to do it).

Failing that, you will need to speak with support. Please push the issue with them, and don't be afraid to ask for a team leader or 2nd level support if you need to.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Established Member
Mick78
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

I have factory reset the tg587n v3 multiple times using the reset button on the rear of  device.

I have called support countless times now and been provided no solution.

Please fix this. 

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Hi Mick,

As this appears to be a problem related specifically to your service, The best way to get this sorted is to speak with our support Team on 133 933. I know its frustrating and you have been through it before (I've done the same thing), but if you aren't satisfied with the response you are always able to request either a Team Leader or a 2nd Level Technician.

Something you may be able to try is another modem (if you have one or can borrow one) to see if its a Modem issue. This will provide more certianty on where the issue lies (Line or Modem).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

VirJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having similar problem. I used to get a speed of about 10MBPS but then since last two days my internet is very slow. The speed test shows a speed of 0.03-0.13 MBPS. I tried calling tech support. he said eveything looks good from his end.

Not sure what is causing this but one thing I noticed that even though internet is connected  the PPPoE connection stil says "connecting" when I go in this in gives me an error Concentrator not reachable. This is the first time I am with telstra and looks this modem of their 587n v3 isnt very friendly. I dont know how to even check the connection details and change the PPPoE settings.

VirJ
0 Kudos

Just to update guys it's resolved now. I had to reset the modem a few times. The disappointing part is Telstra promised a call back from an expert but didn't.
iceT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

G'day.  I would just like to share my 2cents worth in dealing with "Concentrator not reachable" errors, which I have observed are quite seemingly exclusive to Thomson modems operating in the Telstra network.  Having said exclusive to the Thomson brand, yes, I'd say this apparently points to a modem issue and not  to a network fault.  One way to prove this claim, if you'd care to, is to use a known good working modem of a different brand (properly configured, of course, with your Telstra credentials to be granted the internet access, i.e. username & password) and check how it fares hooking up to the network.  The message "Concentrator not reachable," I reckon, is some sort of chipset error in the Thomson modem, generated for some reason when the modem feels misconfigured.  I don't really know how it figures but I suspect it might have to do with Telstra's customisation of Thomson modems to a unique default gateway address and preconfigured with their own network settings instead of the OEM's defaults.  But of course, that's just some sort of supposition on my part, having had a relative amount of experience in technical support and in tinkering with my own personal equipment.  It just helps sometimes to understand how things work to be able to get to the root of the issue and to be able to fix it.  Hope this helps shedding some light to all experiencing a similar concern.  :smileywink:

What has worked so far:

One way to fix this error is to configure the modem the way it wants to be configured by going through these steps.

1. Bring up the modem's GUI page through your browser (10.0.0.138).

2. In the left column, underneath the Home tab, Click on Technicolor/Thomson Gateway link.

3. Find "Pick a Task" section in the page that opens up, and select the option to "Reset to Factory Settings." Confirm reset and allow your modem to restart itself where you'd find all the lights on it turn up green. Wait for the page to reload/refresh itself taking you back to the main modem page again.

4. Once the modem's GUI main page has reloaded, again, in the left column, underneath the Home tab, Click on Technicolor/Thomson Gateway link.

5. Find "Pick a Task" section in the page that opens up, and select the option to "Setup my gateway/modem." Run the wizard without changing any preconfigured settings except filling out the username and password fields. Just go next until you get to the "Start configuration" and eventually to the "Finish" buttons. Take notice of your modem lights as they all go green and for a message to come up about a successful configuration.

You should be good to go once all lights come up green, but wait for the page to refresh anyway. Once done, you may close down your browser to bring it up again opening your homepage and start navigating away from there to whichever sites you wish to open.

>