Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Jeff2110
0 Kudos

Slow Internet..

Hello I have recently had a service installed and am currently suffering from poor download speeds compared to what the dsl sync is reporting: 

Time:2013/11/19 16:57:35
Firmware Version:AU_1.01.02 Fri 24 May 2013
DSL Firmware Version:A2pG038i.d24h
DSL Line State:Up
DSL Line Rate - Upstream:384  (Kbps)
DSL Line Rate - Downstream:8160  (Kbps)

I am only seeing a 2mb downstream at best. I have tried the usual; isolation, moving to the closest socket, changing cables splitters and machines all resulting in a similar outcome.

Mirror: iiNet
Data: 1 MB
Test Time: 10.89 secs

Your line speed is 1.11 Mbps (1114 kbps).
Your download speed is 139 KB/s (0.14 MB/s).

What is going on? You charge premium rates but are not delivering a premuim service. I have spent a cumalive 4+ hours on hold to you this week and still the service i am paying for is not being delivered.

Contributor
the_ph0n3r

Re: Slow Internet..

Hi @jeff2010

Sorry to hear your troubles with a Telstra service, Am i right in assuming that you are using the ADSL or ADSL 2+ service?

The DSL line rate is an indicator as to what the router/service is capable of and does not represent the actual download and upload speeds sent out on the WiFi. You may be experiencing slow speeds as there may be congestion in the area of where you live or if you live far away from the exchange.

These are just some examples of why slow speeds occur and based on what you have said are very likely in your situation

Hopefully this helps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Contributor
damiankw

Can I just add to this.. Jeff, what kind of speeds are you getting versus what you believe you should be getting?

ph0n3r is right in saying that the sync speed is an indication of the speed you'll be getting, but usually (in my experience) it's a pretty good indication. For 8mbit down, you should be sitting at around 700kb/s, but note that if you're only getting 8mbit there's more than likely a reason for it.

I wouldn't be suprised if 150-200kb/s is the maximum you'll get from a single download thread - if you use a download program (i can't suggest any as i don't like them) that creates a number of threads for your download - you'll probably notice the speed increase to your maximum :smileyhappy:

Jeff2110
0 Kudos

Theanks for the reply ph0n3r, 

I believe it is an ADSL service. The modem has some further info stating that the service is capable of 12mb:

Mode:ADSL_G.dmt
Link Power State:L0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):22860
Attenuation (0.1 dB):9585
Output Power (0.1 dBm):17825
Attainable Rate (Kbps):12764480

Path 0 Path 1 
 DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream
Rate (Kbps):8160384

But i just dont seem to be hitting the figures; >2mb is of no use apart from browsing really...

Jeff2110
0 Kudos

getting maybe 2 mb maybe less but i was kind of thinking i'd be hitting the 8mb range..

I am seeing Xbox live, Foxtel play and anything other than browsing unable to connect/play.
Contributor
the_ph0n3r
0 Kudos

Yeah i can understand your frustration. How old is your modem, as i noticed that in the 'mode' section it said 'G' which is the old type of WiFi, the latest is N (being IEEE 802.11N).

This type supports higher WiFi speeds and you can expect it be faster than what you are getting now, and i suspect it will solve your problem. The modem is taking in 8 mbps can only send out on WiFi 2mbps because that is all it is capable of doing.

Hope this helps and you can understand my nerdy talk hehe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff2110
0 Kudos

Hey ph0n3r, 

The modem is brand new a Dlink 2890AL, I am also using ethernet over gigabit to connect. The mode is refering to its ADSL modulation, not the wifi :smileywink:. It is on auto selection and chooses ADSL_G.dmt over G.lite / T1.413 /ADSL2 /AnnexL /ADSL2+ /AnnexM.

In short i am getting >2mps on an ethernet connection, not over wifi.

Contributor
the_ph0n3r
0 Kudos

Yeah sorry, bit of a mistake there by me. Try this website and post the results: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php

This shows you how far you are from the exchange. I suspect that there may be a problem of some sort with your ethernet, however the speeds that you are getting over WiFi are about right.

Can you please use this website: http://www.speedtest.net/

And post the results as well as the time completed.

Based on the results you get, you will see if you have a problem or not.

ADSL is an old service which can only pull a maximum of 6 mbps down and 384 kbps up, and unfortunately no one will ever get close to this because of congestion and other uncontrollable factors.
My suggestion is upgrade to at least ADSL 2+ as this will allow you to have a network maximum of 20 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

Based on what you have said if you are running this like xbox live and foxtel play as well as having other devices constantly connected, i would suggest you connect to cable as this has a much better infrastructure system and you will definitely see an improvement in your speeds. You can see whats available at your house by using this website: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/

Let me know how you get on,