Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

DrTwox
0 Kudos

Terrible download speeds.

We've been on Telstra Bigpond ADSL for nearly a month now (T-Bundle Elite), and the download speeds are terrible. Youtube is mostly unusable, downloading anything from Steam takes days to complete. Sometimes there is a burst of speed for a while, and occasionally overnight it picks up. A few days back I downloaded a 700+MB .iso file from Microsoft.com and it averaged at 44kb/s - which is about the fastest we've been getting. Here are the line stats as reported by the modem (Technicolor TG587n v3)

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Software Release: 8.4.4.J
PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 8.35
Type: PPPoE

Uptime: 0 days, 21:41:09

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 8.032
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10,7 / 19,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,5 / 19,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,0 / 18,0

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 868,32 / 1,99
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 9
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0

From what I understand, those stats indicate a good quality connection, yet our speed is awful, and not at all what I would expect for what we're paying. What steps do I need to take to have this looked at?

Community Leader
Wanglese
0 Kudos

Re: Terrible download speeds.

Looks like you are on ADSL and not ADSL2+ (the bandwidth line suggests that).

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

I'm an accredited "Telstra Hero", but I don't work for Telstra, I'm here purely voluntarily to help out others and any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

DrTwox
0 Kudos

Yes, it's ADSL. Before we switched to Telstra Bigpond we...

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's ADSL. Before we switched to Telstra Bigpond we were with TPG on a 1500/256 plan. The line speeds reported by the modem then were LOWER than now, yet the download speed was consistanly 150-160kb/s. Now with Telstra, with HIGHER line speeds, it doesn't even get that high.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: Yes, it's ADSL. Before we switched to Telstra Bigpond we...

Hi DrTwox,

I am sending you a private message, if you can provide some details I will take a look at your service and see what can be done to improve your service.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Community Leader
Kalak
0 Kudos

Honestly sounds like localised congestion.

This is generally either caused by wireless interference (if you are using WiFi rather than ethernet) or congestion at your exchange/RIM/cabinet.

Hopefully MichelleP will be able to help figure out which it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
DrTwox
0 Kudos

MichelleP: I have made an online request for service @ telstra.com/24x7help

Kalak: The slow speed is on both wired and wireless devices.

I forgot to mention in the original post, but a friend who only lives a few houses up the street has fine speed and is not affected by congestion. Perhaps he (despite the close proximity) is on a different exchange? Is there anyway to find this out?

DrTwox
0 Kudos

I made the request for help at telstra.com/24x7help more than 12 hours ago, and I haven't even received an acknowledgement so far. Is this normal? What's the wait time?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Dr Twox,

You should have received a confirmation via email that the form was submitted.

This is still being investigated, and I will be in contact when I have those results.

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

DrTwox
0 Kudos

DrTwox
0 Kudos

> You should have received a confirmation via email that the form was submitted.

No confirmation email was sent to my bigpond address or the other email address nominated in the form.
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

DrTwox,

Good news, I am told that your ADSL service should now be working better. 

Could you please check your service?

DrTwox
0 Kudos

I will test the changes for a few days and report back. Are you able to tell me what was changed?

DrTwox
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the call Shelly!

After several days of testing, I can report there is a definite increase in speed, though not what I had hoped for. I've downloaded a couple Linux .iso files via both torrent and direct download, several videos from sites like YouTube and Vimeo and a few large games on Steam. The average download speed has increased to 82kb/s, with peak speeds occasionally jumping up to around 120-130kb/s. This is still slower than I was getting with my previous ISP (same line), and a lot slower than the modem says is possible. I did download a few MBs of Linux updates on Saturday morning, and they downloaded at around 320kb/s, but that speed didn't last for long.

In addition to the Telstra supplied modem, I have tested with a Billion 7800NL modem I used with my previous ISP, but the speeds were the same.

I still don't understand why the speed is so slow compared to what the modem stats indicate could be achieved.

jnorman
0 Kudos

iam having the same problems,

you will never get the speed your modem stats are as you havnt factered in cable loss etc

if your close to exchange (less few hundred meters) your more likely to get close to those stats, but still will be not as stated.

DrTwox
0 Kudos

I realise the stats indicate a theoretical best-case speed, but the modem stats I get with Telstra are 'better' than I had with my previous ISP but I get a slower average speed.
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi DrTwox,

I just checked the TopHat spreadsheet  and can see that your exchange now appears in here with a proposed date of December 2012.

Hopefully there will be some further improvement to your service after that time.

DrTwox
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Shelly. I have looked at that spreadsheet before but was unable to determine whether we are in distribution area 19 or 27 as our house is right on the boundary of the two. From your reply I can assume it's 19. How often is that spreadsheet updated? I will check it periodically to see if the work is completed.
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi DrTwox,

The one that affects your service is currently QGYMPE86M which is proposed to become QGYMPE4009M.

I am told that this spreadsheet is updated weekly.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi DrTwox,

I have received word that your speeds should be much improved after the TopHat went online on 19/10/2012.

Can you confirm for me?

DrTwox
0 Kudos

Shelly,

Yes, we have noticed a significant increase in our internet speed this last week. Average speeds fluctuate around 350-500kb/s. Though not as fast as the modem indicates should be possible, it is a definite improvement.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi DrTwox,

Downloading between 2.8 mbps and 4 mbps is a great impovement.

As you are aware, the details in your modem do not necessarily equate to the speeds that you can expect.