Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Visitor
BlazedHearts
0 Kudos

Blocking a Number

Hi there,

As of late, I've been recieving calls from a phone number which I do not wish to get calls from. They have been calling and texting my mobile (which I'll deal with seperately since I'm with a different service provider), but also my house phone because they know that.

I don't answer the phone when I know it's them. The calls themself aren't overly threatening or overly violent, but they're unwanted all the same and I don't see them stopping anytime in the forseeable future.

Just for clarification. I do know the number, and I do want to block it, but the telstra information pages are a little confusing to me, and I want to know in simple terms what my options are and how to go ahead with getting myself some freedom.

Community Leader
Caaf

Re: Blocking a Number

Two seconds found.... http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/advice/unwelcome-calls/call-types/

Cheers,
Dave

Note. Although it appears, this is not a main stream support forum!! It's a conglomerate of both fellow consumers/customers and Telstra employees helping you out!
Community Leader
Drat

BlazedHearts wrote:

Just for clarification. I do know the number, and I do want to block it, but the telstra information pages are a little confusing to me, and I want to know in simple terms what my options are and how to go ahead with getting myself some freedom.

That depends on what you mean by blocking it. Is it simply a case of not wanting to be disturbed or notified in any way when the unwelcome caller calls your home phone number?

Telstra does not offer a user-configurable call blocking service at the network level that prevents calls originating from ‘blacklisted’ numbers to be switched/routed to your home phone service. If the unwelcome caller is sending his/her CLI (calling line identification) when calling, then if the Calling Number Display feature is enabled for your home phone service, theoretically you can use sophisticated telephone models or other customer-premised equipment (CPE) that will inspect the originating number of every inbound call, and screen calls on your behalf in accordance with a user-programmed policy (which may use a ‘blacklist’ or a ‘whitelist’).

You can try enabling Call Forward for Selected Callers on your home phone service, so that the network will forward (instead of ‘block’) calls originating from particular numbers to an answer point of your choice instead of your home phone service.

More drastic measures you can take include changing your home phone number, and/or referring the issue to police so that they could tell the unwelcome caller to stop calling you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
sidsaff
0 Kudos

telstra can block the numbers you give. contact 1800805996.after they block the number your ring tone changes from what i am told.happy time after