Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Visitor
JSutho
0 Kudos

Home Line fault for over 3 weeks

I reported a fault on my home line over 3 weeks ago. The first call went to a call centre in the Philippinnes where the operator told me that it was a problem with either my phone or the splitter.  It wasnt my phone, so I went out and bought a new splitter, it wasn't that either. Since then I have made numerous calls to Telstra to try and have my home phone line fixed, they eventually confirmed it was a line fault, I was given many deadlines as to when it would be fixed by but that didn't happen on any of the dates promised. I had to travel overseas and have contacted Telstra twice since I have left and have now been told that the problem has been referred to the Global Operations Centre because telstra has no idea how to fix my phone line.  I asked them to please call me in Hong Kong to keep me informed as to what is happening, after all they are a telephone company and I don't think this is too much to ask after all this time but still haven't heard a word from them. My last phone call to them from here was about 40 mins.  I am truly at a loss as to what to do next except cut off my home phone and change internet provider, it is so frustrating to have no contact at all re what is happening. 

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Home Line fault for over 3 weeks

JSutho wrote:

I reported a fault on my home line over 3 weeks ago. The first call went to a call centre in the Philippinnes where the operator told me that it was a problem with either my phone or the splitter.  It wasnt my phone, so I went out and bought a new splitter, it wasn't that either. Since then I have made numerous calls to Telstra to try and have my home phone line fixed, they eventually confirmed it was a line fault, I was given many deadlines as to when it would be fixed by but that didn't happen on any of the dates promised. I had to travel overseas and have contacted Telstra twice since I have left and have now been told that the problem has been referred to the Global Operations Centre because telstra has no idea how to fix my phone line.  I asked them to please call me in Hong Kong to keep me informed as to what is happening, after all they are a telephone company and I don't think this is too much to ask after all this time but still haven't heard a word from them. My last phone call to them from here was about 40 mins.  I am truly at a loss as to what to do next except cut off my home phone and change internet provider, it is so frustrating to have no contact at all re what is happening. 

Global Operations Centre (GOC) Escalation means that its seriously stuffed. Have a look at http://apcmag.com/telstras-massive-nerve-centre-exposed.htm for more information on what the GOC  is, and what it does.

As the GOC deals with the Network Core, I doubt your issue will be resolved if the other provider also uses Telstra's Core (ie: Telstra Wholesale customers).

Out of Curiosity, what is your problem exactly?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

This sounds like an interesting fault. However, I'm going to need to make some assumptions and you haven't exactly said what the problem is. So:

1. You've got dial tone.

2. You've for ADSL with BigPond (provider is irrelevant - the problem will still happen)

3. Since you've been told it's a phone or filter/splitter fault then you're having problems with the voice part of your line.

There have been some well documented issues HERE with Cordless Phones and ADSL - lots of reports abut Unidens in particular but it happens with others too. Have you tried another handset that is NOT cordless?

Also, a quick way to see if it's a fault with your equipment is to do an isolation test. That means: Unplug everything from all sockets in the house and then just plug your phone in directly (without a splitter). If there's no problem then you know it's probably not your phone (unless it's that compatibility issue above!) If then plugging back in a splitter and modem makes the problem appear then you know where the problem lies (process of elimination).

Some splitters are known to have the same incompatibility issues as I mentioned in the link above too.

I hope this assists a little more- if you could be more specific on what's happening I'll try to assist more.

--
I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity and the views expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Karl, GOC Involvement suggests that its more of  a network issue. Last fault that went to them that I saw was a strange one where the customer's hardware wasn't recognising certian tones (3,4,6,9) and therefore when they called 0439 309 000 (example) the call redirected to Emergency Services.

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

Hmmm. But a tone issue isn't a GOC issue. The tester has two options, field task or refer to a GOC team with a subcase for assessment. The only way a tone issue would've been fixed is to assign to field. GOC would not be able to program or code around that :-)
--
I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity and the views expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

KarlF wrote:
Hmmm. But a tone issue isn't a GOC issue. The tester has two options, field task or refer to a GOC team with a subcase for assessment. The only way a tone issue would've been fixed is to assign to field. GOC would not be able to program or code around that :-)

Turns out it wasn't a "Tone" issue it was an issue somewhere in the Core Routing.... Meh, I don't know, it was an old Wholesale service that I spent a few hours on :smileytongue:

B.

New Users - Click Here!

>