Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Visitor
Rattles
0 Kudos

Keep VoIP Number and transfer it into Landline service or another VoIP?

Hi my first post here :smileyhappy:, just noticed this crowdsupport feature..

I currently have a VoIP service with another provider and was wondering, if I want to keep the VoIP number... can I transfer that number for/into a Telstra landline service? (keeping the same number!)

Or am I limited to use that number in a VoIP service only?

Thanks in advance for any assistance guys

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

Re: Keep VoIP Number and transfer it into Landline service or another VoIP?

you'd really need to ask your current supplier, if it's a geographic based number you may be able to keep it, many of them are not though and you only lease them from the VSP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Telstra's Reachout team can confirm this - Call 13 22 00 and say "Switch to Telstra" from 7am to 9pm and someone can check the details.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

... and I'm in the ReachOut LNP (Local Number Portability) team :-)

The answer is probably not. It depends of the number is what's deemed portable and actually owned by you.

What we do at the start is to check internal Telstra systems to see if the number is pre-provisioned on our network already. I doubt it would be (for this anyway).

THen we need to check who actually owns the numbering range involved. We check with the Australia Communications and Media Authority's website HERE for this. If the ACMA advised that it is portable, then that's the first hurdle.

But the next hurdle is the hardest to overcome. If the VoiP provider has a block of say 10,000-100,000 numbers, then all they're really doing is sub-leasing those numbers to you. So it's a little bit like you're staying in a hotel with a direct number and you want to change the provider they use; it's not going to happen for one number - they've ALL got to change to Telstra.

Your VoiP provider will be able to advise if your number is portable, but so can Telstra. I've attempted several of these and had failures every time because whilst they may be portable, the company doesn't want to change their (top tier) phone company to Telstra with them.

I hope that helps and wasn't too technical!

--
I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity and the views expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Karl, it has to do with if the VoIP provider has a LNP arrangement with Telstra. For example, Chime (part of the iiNet Group) has a LNP agreement with Telstra. Therefore, you can port Chime numbers from chime to Telstra and vice versa.

At the end of the day, who the number range was allocated to is irrelevant.

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

Hi Ben.

That's true, however iiNer are an exception here because their number ranges are fully portable because they wish them to be and they classify their numbers as non VoIP numbers (they're recipient numbers but they deliver and terminate then via the internet - there us a difference).

A classic example I get is the provider PennyTel. After managing to get the number range preprovisioned in Telstra systems the Cat A (simplex) is rejected because it needs to be a Cat C (complex). Submitting that then yields a rejection of number/account mismatch because there is not just one number on the account (there are thousands).

The other reason for rejection (for this example) is thatPennyTel dont actually own the numbers, they obtain them third party via AAPT.

The rule of thumb here it that if a VoIP provider advertises that they can take your current number and make it VoIP then it's fine. Ive never seen a VoIP provider able to let numbers go that doesnt advertise this as yet.
--
I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity and the views expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Telstra.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

karlferguson wrote:
Hi Ben.

That's true, however iiNer are an exception here because their number ranges are fully portable because they wish them to be and they classify their numbers as non VoIP numbers (they're recipient numbers but they deliver and terminate then via the internet - there us a difference).

The Numbers that are allocated by ACMA under the Telecommunications Numbering Plan are for geographic services. They aren't separated into "VoIP" and "PSTN". In addition, Chime numbers are not Recipient Numbers, unless they have been ported to begin with. Chime also has Donor Numbers which are allocated on ranges that it owns

karlferguson wrote:
A classic example I get is the provider PennyTel. After managing to get the number range preprovisioned in Telstra systems the Cat A (simplex) is rejected because it needs to be a Cat C (complex). Submitting that then yields a rejection of number/account mismatch because there is not just one number on the account (there are thousands).

The LNP Process is quite complex, and I won't go into too much detail here. On a system level, it requires sending conformations between 2 service providers (Telstra and Chime) to confirm ownership, then transfer of the number. Most of its automated, and Chime (Example) systems will reject a LNP that doesn't have the correct account number.

In the PennyTel example, the Reason a Cat C is rejected is because the AAPT account number (otherwise known as the Wholesale Account Number or "Dummy" Account number in the User Prodcedure on KnowHow) is incorrect for that account. AAPT could also not have a Porting Agreement with Telstra (I do find this unlikely however) or they have allocated a number to the wrong zone.

karlferguson wrote:
The other reason for rejection (for this example) is thatPennyTel dont actually own the numbers, they obtain them third party via AAPT.

The rule of thumb here it that if a VoIP provider advertises that they can take your current number and make it VoIP then it's fine. Ive never seen a VoIP provider able to let numbers go that doesnt advertise this as yet.

When the LNP request is sent off, Telstra Wholesale (WCTA) know which number is with which carrier at any time (they have to so they can route calls). WCTA (or LNP BoH as you probably know them as) will send the request off to the Service Provider using the process I've outlined above. Therefore, provided you have the Wholesale A/C number, you shouldn't have any issues

OP: I'm willing to bet most of the stuff here is clear as mud to you. The simple answer is to Call Telstra and confirm. I've provided this much detail for Karl's Benefit.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

Chime numbers are receipient numbers - Telstra receives them. Otherwise they are Donor Return were they were Telstra numbers and they're coming back - but meh, symantics :smileyhappy:

That's why our team exists. LNP is a complex beast and whilst I'm a SME in the area there are always quirks that can go wrong.

Suffice to say for the OP, I'm willing to bet that it's not portable but we're always willing to give it a shot. if you need to contact us, but all means - 132200 and say "Switch to Telstra" to the queue. Your call will route to us :smileyhappy:

--
Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

I'd tend to think that porting this number isn't going to happen, the few VSP's that use geographic numbers that are able to be ported generally promote the fact that they can port in and out, one I know has both types of numbers on offer so you need to specifically request a number that is portable, it also carries a higher monthly cost
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
bradillich
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have a phone number for my home that I ported over to a VoIP provider from Telstra. It is a Telstra local number. I still live at the same address and simply want to port the number back to a regular telephone line. Is this easy to do?

Thanks.

Telstra Employee
KarlF
0 Kudos

bradillich wrote:

Hi there,

I have a phone number for my home that I ported over to a VoIP provider from Telstra. It is a Telstra local number. I still live at the same address and simply want to port the number back to a regular telephone line. Is this easy to do?

Thanks.

Absolutely - very easy to do. Call 132200 and say Swith To Telstra and you'll be put through to the correct area to organise it!

Karl

--
Regular Visitor
GlenLewis
0 Kudos

KarlF wrote:
Hi Ben.

After reading this, and checking the ACMA site for my number, I tried to port by Chime/iiNet number across to a Telstra copper service without any luck.

Interestingly, when I did the ACMA search for both my iiNet VoIP number and my Telstra landline number, they had pretty much identical field values (i.e.: IP Use = No), so even if you do search ACMA, it may not provide you with information that will ensure that you can port the number across.