Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

michelle_li
0 Kudos

spam calls

Had a highly targeted call from India this morning. It claimed that my computer is sending a lot of errors message through Telstra to micro office and my computer will stop die very soon. Asked me to get onto internet and he'll instruct me step by step to fix the problem. I asked him what messages are and what is the software I was using. He got all wrong answers. I told him don't try again, i'll get him traced down. I can't believe these people are get the random numbers from phone book and tell you all kinds stuff.

Occasional Visitor
Concerned2013
0 Kudos

Re: spam calls

Hi Michelle

I have received two phones calls after using my bigpond account in the last two weeks. The first was using a relatives' computer (who is not a bigpond user) to briefly check my emails. The next day I received a "computer fault "phone call on their landline.  Today I have recieved a highly targeted phone call citing my name and an exact physical address (which in not in the phone book). The only common factor in all of this is my "Bigpond Account".

I feel  that Telstra is failing in its duty of care by not warning us (customers) that there is a major security problem. 

I have previously complained about a suspicious phone account review phone calls and given date and time of the call on my landline but the" telstra staff " advised me that they were unable to identify the source of the phone call or if it was one of their staff making the call as the calls were not logged.In this day of computer tracking this is an amazing statement of technical incapability or just don't  really care.

I believe Telstra's  use of outsourced staffing contracts has greatly reduced the level and security of service provided by this organisation.

I am reviewing all my telstra my accounts and am looking for alternative providers.

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

It is definitely frustrating receiving these kinds of calls and its great that both of you are clued in to the tactics of these kinds of operations.

I would suggest contacting our unwelcome calls team here as they are specifically trained to assist with suspicious calls.

I am confident that the callers would have obtained this information from a source other than Telstra or from information available in the public domain, however if you do feel that there has been a breach of privacy please send me a private message and I will start the process of having this investigated as a priority.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Community Leader
Wanglese
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you have the time,  it's a huge amount of fun  (for me at least), to lead them on, and pretend to be a computer neophyte, who knows nothing.

I had one rep tied around in knots when he asked me to read back the address I had typed in, and I spelled out the "." as DOT, when he said not the word, the full stop.  I asked him why didn't he say so in the first place.

So I kept getting him to say "full stop" instead of dot.

Kept him online for 40 minutes before I let on that I knew he was a scammer.  I had people listening in on the extension, and we were all laughing.

At least it kept him from stealing money from someone else for 40 minutes, and entertained us.

DISCLAIMER:  I once got a call back from one of these scammers, who berated me and swore profusely, so don't do this unless you are ready to get an earful.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

I'm an accredited "Telstra Hero", but I don't work for Telstra, I'm here purely voluntarily to help out others and any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

michelle_li
0 Kudos

Absolutely agree with you that out sourcing has this ongoing problems. I never got much help from Telstra on the issue either. When I reported a problem a couple of years, had somone on the other end for 10 minutes that I could understand what he was saying and he simply didn't know where Perth or Brisbane is in Australia. I gave up at the end. There are not a lot of alternatives around. It's sad to see the services in Australia is falling so far behind.

Community Leader
Wanglese
0 Kudos

I teach senior classes.  Most of my students don't have Bigpond, and they get these kinds of calls.

Outsourcing hasn't helped,  but I KNOW it's not just Telstra customers that get the calls.

Sometimes they identify themselevs as "Windows Technical Support", as this is less likely to result in a person saying "But I don't use Telstra" if they identify as Telstra or Bigpond, and then being alerted that something is fishy.

I will say, that at least ONE fly-by night company that I traced back was based in Melboourne, and the ACCC got to them I beleive, but it's like playing "Whack-a-mole".

Here's a list of recent scams (they need to update, but it's interesting reading)

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumers/Scams/Recent_scams.html

More up to date:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/694239

If you are particularly concerned, sign up for scamwatch alerts (I did because of the training I do):

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/698791

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

I'm an accredited "Telstra Hero", but I don't work for Telstra, I'm here purely voluntarily to help out others and any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.